Menu

barking dog and his inconsiderate owner -- any suggestions?

The houses in our neighborhood are very close together. (Think 10-12 feet.)

Our neighbor has a yorkshire terrier. She lets him out early each day. Very early -- 4 am, 5 am, 6 am at the latest. He barks out there. He wakes us up. Our bed is about 6 feet away from the fence where he barks.

We have talked to her many times. She tries for a while, things seem to be under control, then he goes back to waking us up.

She now says that she is "willing" to keep him quiet until 6 am on the weekdays and 7 am on the weekends. :glare:

My alarm goes off at 6:30 on weekdays. I'd prefer to not get up earlier in order to accommodate her dogggie's pooping schedule.

Dog people, help me out here! What is wrong with this woman?

Can't she put a muzzle on the dog? Can't she let him out with a leash so she could bring him right back in after he does his mess? Couldn't she train him to come back in through the dog door? Couldn't she let him out on the other side of the house? Can't a dog be trained not to bark in certain situations?

We would NEVER suggest that she adjust her sleeping schedule to meet our perceived very-early-morning noise needs. We wouldn't let our kids out in the neighborhood screaming at neighbors' windows at 5:30 a.m. and then just say, "sorry."

Am I being unreasonable? We don't want to report her to animal control. But we're getting closer. What would you do?

I really doubt animal control would do anything. Where I live they would laugh and ask if I was joking. Maybe she has a schedule and that is when she can let him out?? I hated the city with the neighbors dogs so I know how you feel, but there really isn't much you can do. He is on her property and unless you live in an area with a strict noise law I doubt anyone will do anything. I am sorry though I know how bad that can really just suck.

We tried one of those bark controllers. It didn't stop the dog from barking, but he did move away from our fence temporarily and go to another area in his yard to continue barking.

I'm thinking you have noise ordinances, and the dog owner is in violation. I'd call. I don't think she's left you with many options; she's already repeatedly refused your polite requests. Of course, another option would be to go outside yourself when the dog starts barking, and stand outside yelling at the top of your lungs, "Be quiet!!!!!!" She might get the hint.

I thought that moving to the country would eliminate undesirable neighbors/their dogs. Until the neighbor's dog came to our front yard to poop, and his wife showed up at our house repeatedly beaten up. When another neighbors' darling and wonderful dog began showing up, we enjoyed its company--but its owner screamed at us to stop encouraging it to leave its own yard (where it was left alone all day, unchained).

You can't always act like a rational person around idiots. :glare:

We've started being more confrontational --getting out of bed, knocking on her door, and hollering at the dog. Hopefully that will be a deterrent to her negligence.

Once we're out there, the dog really goes nuts and she can't even get him to come to her. We're already up by that time (thanks to the dumb dog), so it doesn't bother us -- it bothers her.

I just wish she'd do something to control the barking. How hard could it be? I know he has one of those muzzles -- I've seen it on him. Couldn't she just put it on him in the morning when she sends him out?!

This is probably why she does not want to use a muzzle. http://www.barkingdogs.net/muzzles.shtml

That talks more about people leaving muzzles on dogs for extended periods of time which I agree would be cruel. But to put it on the dog for a few minutes while it goes outside to do its business seems reasonable. Of course, I am dealing with a barking dog next door too so I may be biased. Yet another reason why I love cats. :D

Maybe the dog really does need to "use the facilities" that early in the morning. How long is he outside -- are we talking about a few minutes, or half an hour?

If she's only letting him out for a few minutes and he barks while he's out there, I hate to say this, but he's just doing what dogs do. I don't think there's much you can do about it, and I'm not sure this is a fight worth fighting.

It doesn't sound as though your neighbor is malicious. Maybe the dog just really has to go, and she needs to let him out.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not so sure the woman is being negligent or that she's breaking any laws. I think maybe you're being a bit too confrontational over a few minutes of barking. I know it's annoying, but it sounds like you're willing to make an enemy of your neighbor over it, and that doesn't seem reasonable. If you live in a neighborhood where the houses are very close together, you have to deal with some annoyances, and things like loud car engines and barking dogs are among them.

Can you try putting one of those white noise machines in your bedroom? It might help.

I know I seem unsympathetic, but I can see this from the dog owner's side, as well as from yours, and I do think you're overreacting.

Cat

I have a dog that i just love. He sleeps inside... (he doesn't like to be out alone. Heck, he usually wants to come in before the kids...) I accidentally let my dog out... at almost midnight... and the guy cam over and it seemed like he was going to just know my door down... Oops... Found out that he sleeps ALL the time during the night and day.. and my crazy dog was just... well... driving the guy insane. I let my dog out after 9am and 9pm is kinda the latest... except for a few minutes.... BUT, I hear ONE bark before or after the "9's" and inside he comes..

I'd try the barky thing... My mom tried spraying water over the fence at her noisy neighbor dog.... not sure that's legal???

:(

and I do think you're overreacting.

Cat

:thumbdown: Disagree

Dog owners need to be respectful of their neighbors. IF the dog needs to go out that early it should be supervised and brought inside as soon as it starts to bark.

Our county noise ordinance includes dog barking. Give animal control a call and find out if your area does, too. If they don't help much ... you might contact city/county office or even your local police station to find out what the noise ordinance includes. Sadly some times it takes a visit from a local authority for some dog owners to be responsible.

Yes ... I am a dog owner. I have had dogs all my life. My two are inside at night and any time we are not home. If they need to go out in the middle of the night or early morning ... my husband or I wait at the door and they come in as soon as they finish their business. I don't want to be woken by a barking dog in the middle of the night and don't expect my neighbors want that either. 'Treat others the way you want to be treated'.

I would also look at something like that. There are several different kinds on Amazon.

I also wonder if what you have seen the dog wearing is a muzzle or a Gentle Leader (they are a head collar and not a muzzle).

We have two dogs and I DO NOT think it is ok to let your dog bark in the early morning or late (after 9) at night. I don't let my dogs bark much at all but even a few seconds of barking at that time of the morning is really unacceptable IMO.

Is the dog barking to come in? I think it is very reasonable for her to stand at the door and wait for the dog to come back. We have a small dog, Chi (mix?) and he goes out in the morning, does his business and comes straight back in because he's COLD and he doesn't want to stay out there.;)

The only time I would think it was o.k. for my dog to bark that early is if there is a wild animal close by (that would be a coyote where I live) and he was protecting the family.

I would move out to the country.

I honestly think barking dogs (while a nuisance) are just a part of life.

I don't have a problem with barking dogs.

My problem is my neighbors children who are outside early in the morning yelling, MOM, MOM, MOOOOOOOOM. Then the mother comes out yelling. Then the father turns on the radio in the garage and leaves it blasting. Then the kids start yelling again. On and on and on it goes.

How long is he allowed to be outside? At that time of the morning, it is unreasonable for her to just open the door and let him out to run in the yard if he's going to be barking like that. If he really has to go, he probably does his business as soon as his paws hit grass. There is no reason for him to be out in the yard more than a minute or two. She needs to be outside with him and bring him back into the house as soon as he's finished. Do some dogs bark while they pee and poop? My dogs are always quiet until they are finished, then if there is something to bark at, they get noisy.

I think it's difficult to say whether or not you're overreacting because you haven't told us how long the dog is barking. If it's just for a couple of minutes, then yes -- I think you're overreacting. Even most places with noise ordinances are not going to take you seriously over a couple of minutes of barking early in the morning. Some of the condo people in back of us are really loud in the morning or at night slamming car doors, talking loudly outside for 15-20 minutes -- that's just part of living in houses that are close together, and it's irritating, but you have to let it go. If the dog is barking consistently (not a yip here or there, but yip-yip-yip-yip-yap over and over) for 10-15 minutes, then yes -- that's far too long, and she should bring her dog back in. If that's the case, try again and let her know that if you can't come to an amicable, reasonable resolution, you will have no choice but to call Animal Control.

As far as when she takes him out, that may be completely beyond her control. Small dogs = small bladders. All the little dogs I know have to go far more frequently than the big dogs I know. It's also not always feasible to prevent a dog from barking. Bark collars don't always work (bro & SIL tried it on their yappy, little dog -- didn't stop him), and training can be prohibitively expensive (try $50/30-minute private lesson), time consuming, and not always effective.

Hopefully you can work it out with your neighbor. If it is only a couple minutes of noise, try a noise machine. If it's more than a couple of minutes then neighbor should either take her dog for a walk that early in the morning, or she should stand at the door & call him in as soon as he's done pooping.

Edited to add: The way you approach her may also make a difference. If you're going over there screaming at her in the morning (no matter how justified you may feel in doing so) you are going to automatically put her on the defensive & she'll be less willing to work with you. If you approach her at another time and tell her that you'd like to sit down with her to work out some sort of a compromise with her dog, then she may be willing to come to some reasonable solution. In her eyes, she may feel she's already compromised by keeping him in until 6:00 AM (I'm NOT a morning person, so to me that's insanely early) so going over and screaming at her or approaching her with with anger radiating off your body first thing in the morning is NOT going to bridge the communication gap.

Edited by jujsky

Even most places with noise ordinances are not going to take you seriously over a couple of minutes of barking early in the morning.

Noise ordinance or not, she is being incredibly rude, especially since you have mentioned the problem to her.

I think the problem would likely be easily solved if she would not just let the dog out the door to do his business. If she put on her shoes and took the dog out on a leash, she would have control of him, and could address and train the barking issue. It's selfish of her not to do so.

Okay, I am chiming in as a noisy dog owner. I live on a private lane out in the country with 4 other houses/families. We have at least 4 acres each. My dog is a German Shepard that we adopted at age 3 (he is 8 now). The day we brought the dog home we immediately called Invisible Fence to come and install, so that our dog could roam free while we aren't home. They came within a few days, installed and we trained the dog. He never leaves the property.

However, apparently our dog barks incessantly when we are not home. This is according to our neighbor. We found this out because we were coming home from being out and finding our dog locked in our garage. While asking around to find out who locked the dog in our garage, no one came forward. Finally, I called the next door neighbor, his wife denied it (I think she didn't have a clue) and then the husband comes over to my house, pounds on my door and belligerently tells me that my dog "barks incessantly" when we aren't home and that he has been locking him up in our garage because he can't stand the noise. Okay, so now whenever we leave the house, we lock the dog up.

We have tried the bark collar, it doesn't work.

I can't stand my neighbor, he is a pain in the neck for many other reasons, but I do try my best to keep my dog from bothering the neighbors.

If this were during daylight hours, I would agree with you. However, if this is before everyone is up, it is unreasonable to wake the neighborhood.

IMO, if the dog needs to go out before a reasonable hour, the owner should not just let him out, but should take him out on a leash so that she can take him back inside before he becomes a problem. Yorkies bark. That is what they do. If you have a yorkie (or any other dog with undesirable behaviors), your job as a responsible owner is to mitigate the effect of their natural behavior on other people.

When dd was 2, we had a neighbor who adopted two adorable dogs. However, they barked at everything that moved, including the wind. We had a problem when she would let the dogs out when I was trying to get dd down to sleep at night. Every time she heard the dogs bark, even if she was just about out, she would sit up and say "Doggie??? wanna play doggie! " Then it would be another 1/2 hour of settling before she would go back to sleep. My neighbor's back yard was next to dd's window so there was no avoiding the sound. I talked to her about it, telling her I understood that the dogs needed to go out, but they were interfering with dd's bedtime ritual. My neighbor understood and she changed the timing of her dog's routine. She had a neighbor take the dogs out earlier so it wasn't as urgent. Then, she would take the dogs out herself about an hour later than before (not let them out, but take them out. This way, she could mitigate the barking and she could be confident that dd was asleep and less likely to wake up. It worked for all of us.

There was a thread similar to this (from the other perspective) not too long ago. Honestly, when you live in a neighborhood where the houses are on top of one another, part of that environment includes noise. Kids. Animals. Lawn Equipment, etc.

Honestly, I'd get a noise machine. We have one in every bedroom of our house & it drowns out neighborhood noise. IMHO, it sounds reasonable to let an animal go to the bathroom at 6 or 7AM. Dogs bark, and it doesn't sound like she's leaving it out all day. I don't feel shes being negligent. Sorry.

Susan

You are NOT being unreasonable. We have 2 dogs who are both barkers in the backyard. During the daylight hours, we don't worry too much about that when they are out and about back there since none of our neighbors are home at that time. But, we don't let them out until after 7 am, or if we do happen to need to let them out before that, we wait at the door and let them in immediately when they are finished. We don't let them out after 9 pm unless we are waiting at the door for them. After 7 pm, when we let them out but, if they start barking, they come right in.

There is no reason for her to allow her dog out there barking that early in the morning.

Does the neighbor go to work all day and the dog is home? Would this be the only chance the dog has to be outside all day?

I think you mentioned that the dog does not always come back to the lady when called (forgive me if I got that from another post somewhere else). Would it be better for her to stand at the door, calling for the dog over and over at that time of day?

Since there hasn't been any clarification on how long the dog is actually left out in the a.m., I am going to assume it is for a chunk of time, maybe 10-15 minutes?? Perhaps she puts the dog out while she showers to let the dog have fresh air/chance to run.

I mean, many here have said they stand at the door, dog does it's business and runs right back to the house. We do the same for our dog, but we don't have fenced in yard. If I did, perhaps it would be different.

She owns the house, the yard, the dog. I mean, isn't she allowed a bit of choice/freedom? MUST she do it exactly like we do?

Really, it is the nature of living in a neighborhood. We used to have a neighbor who had parties every.single.Saturday.night, in his driveway and garage, until 2-3 a.m.. HATED that. But what could I do? Grumbled and moaned to myself, but it was his right.

I think you mentioned that the dog does not always come back to the lady when called (forgive me if I got that from another post somewhere else). Would it be better for her to stand at the door, calling for the dog over and over at that time of day?

at 4 am if she took the dog out on a LEASH so she could control him and address any barking immediately. 4 am is just too early to have a "dogs will be dogs" attitude.

Maybe the dog really does need to "use the facilities" that early in the morning. How long is he outside -- are we talking about a few minutes, or half an hour?

If she's only letting him out for a few minutes and he barks while he's out there, I hate to say this, but he's just doing what dogs do. I don't think there's much you can do about it, and I'm not sure this is a fight worth fighting.

It doesn't sound as though your neighbor is malicious. Maybe the dog just really has to go, and she needs to let him out.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not so sure the woman is being negligent or that she's breaking any laws. I think maybe you're being a bit too confrontational over a few minutes of barking. I know it's annoying, but it sounds like you're willing to make an enemy of your neighbor over it, and that doesn't seem reasonable. If you live in a neighborhood where the houses are very close together, you have to deal with some annoyances, and things like loud car engines and barking dogs are among them.

Can you try putting one of those white noise machines in your bedroom? It might help.

I know I seem unsympathetic, but I can see this from the dog owner's side, as well as from yours, and I do think you're overreacting.

Cat

?!?!?!?!

Waking your neighbors at 5 a.m. is unreasonable. Rude. Inconsiderate. Obnoxious.

She could prevent the dog from barking and she doesn't.

She has a whole list of options -- a muzzle, a leash, using the other side of her yard, training him not to bark, training him to come back in through the dog door, bringing him back in immediately rather than getting in the shower while her dog wakes the neighbors at o'dark thirty.

I have no options other than agreeing to adjust my sleeping schedule to suit her DOG.

The idea that I should get up early (very early) on a regular basis to accommodate her dog's pooping is absurd.

I'm guessing you're the owner of a barky dog.

I don't think you are over reacting at all. I think everyone within a neighborhood has the job of respecting their neighbors, and this includes controlling barking dogs! Our dog, if left alone, would bark constantly. Part of my responsibility of being a dog owner and member of a neighborhood is controlling that. If he barks for more than a minute, I bring him in. If I am out there WITH him, usually he does not bark. So, I end up staying outside with him often, and adjusting my schedule so I can do that.

We have a remote dog-bark collar that actually works very well, too. I put it on when I cannot be outside with him, and it is a lovely day and he wants to be out for a long period.

I would never leave him outside alone while I ran errands or went to work or whatever, since he is a barker. I think any dog who does that when left alone should be kept inside the house when the owner is gone.

I think our city even has an ordinance that states a dog can bark for three (or maybe it's five) minutes, and that's all. Then he needs to be brought inside.

Our human neighbors should take precedence over our canines, and it is our responsibility to control our canines when we live in a neighborhood.

Maybe it is the neighbors right to let the dog out to bark, or throw parties or whatever, but it's still rude.

I can't imagine being anything less than horribly embarrassed and apologetic in the neighbor's shoes. I mean, what kind of world is it when we do things just because we can get away with it legally, with no consideration for those around us. Part of living in a tight community is remembering that you have neighbors who are affected by your behavior. If that inconsiderate neighbor wanted to let the dog out to bark all day, maybe she should live in the country.

I'm saying this from the perspective of a dog owner. One time our neighbor stuck a note in our mail box because my dog's barking was getting to him. We live in 4 acres in a subdivision where the lot sizes are a minimum of 2 acres each. Anyway, I was so embarrassed from that one note that I quickly changed our routine. The last thing I want is to be the "that" neighbor, kwim?

To address several posters at once:

We have been polite about this for years and years. We are nice people. We do not yell at her. We don't complain about his obnoxious, irritating daytime barking.

The dog barks for between 5 and 15 minutes or so -- sometimes less, sometimes more. The owner gets in the shower while he's out there. :glare:

Yes, the city has noise ordinances. Excessive, disruptive noise not permitted between 10 pm and 7 am.

The dog's barking is at least as loud as a scream. He is about 6 feet from our heads while we sleep. She could EASILY keep him on the other side of the house. We'd still hear him, but he wouldn't jar us out of sound sleep.

And, finally, a question for the dog's rights/dog's needs/dogs-bark-just-put-up-with-it people: how would you feel if your neighbor allowed her children out at 4, 5, 6, 7 a.m. to scream by your bedroom window? Year after year?

Maybe she's so clueless that it never occurred to her to put him on a leash and go outside with him. Can you spell it out for her and specifically ask her to put him on a leash and stand outside with him in the mornings? Buy her a leash for him if she doesn't have one? I don't know but if you've been nice about this for years, then maybe it's time to let her know that you are running out of patience and will not continue to be nice about if it if doesn't stop ASAP.

The dog barks for between 5 and 15 minutes or so -- sometimes less, sometimes more. The owner gets in the shower while he's out there. :glare:

THIS is not okay.

A few moments of yipping and I'd tell you to accept it just as you would a garage door opening or old clunker being started up. Barking through a shower is a whole other story, and you DO have a right to be ticked about that!

And, finally, a question for the dog's rights/dog's needs/dogs-bark-just-put-up-with-it people: how would you feel if your neighbor allowed her children out at 4, 5, 6, 7 a.m. to scream by your bedroom window? Year after year?

I'm not saying this issue doesn't suck. It does. Absolutely. I'm just saying that letting your yappy dog pee at 6:00AM isn't completely unheard of. Plus, it does sound like she has tried to accomodate you some, since it used to be 4 or 5 AM and sh'es pushed the time back. Whether it's 5 minutes or 15 minutes seems irrelevant, as it's bothersome either way apparently.

We live in a neighborhood too. Lots of noises far too early imho. Even school buses roll through here at 6:15 & that means children in FRONT of my house waiting at their bus stop. Ugh. I can't change that though. It's not technically my property since it's on the other side of the sidewalk.

We have a noise maker. I hear nothing now. I love it. I think you should invest in one. It will be the best money you've ever spent.

Susan

The dog is let out at 6am and you want to sleep until 6:30am. That's only a matter of half an hour. If it were me, I'd take some really cute gourmet doggie treats over to her house with a big smile and ask her to please just wait 30 minutes longer to let the dog out. How can someone say no to that?

The dog is let out at 6am and you want to sleep until 6:30am. That's only a matter of half an hour. If it were me, I'd take some really cute gourmet doggie treats over to her house with a big smile and ask her to please just wait 30 minutes longer to let the dog out. How can someone say no to that?

You sound very sweet. This is the type of approach we've been using.

I think the fact may be that she wants to be able to just open the door, let him out, and get in the shower. She doesn't want to make the effort to get him back in the house. And she doesn't really care if it jolts us awake.

We live in a neighborhood too. Lots of noises far too early imho. Even school buses roll through here at 6:15 & that means children in FRONT of my house waiting at their bus stop. Ugh.

We have a noise maker. I hear nothing now. I love it. I think you should invest in one. It will be the best money you've ever spent.

Susan

We have lots of other neighborhood noises, too. Sirens, cars starting up, garbage trucks, etc. Obviously, living in a city brings living with noise. But this barking is like a SCREAM right by our heads. And she knows it.

And she could do something about it. Even just letting him out on the other side of the house would eliminate the problem. But she'd rather not.

Waking your neighbors at 5 a.m. is unreasonable. Rude. Inconsiderate. Obnoxious.

The OP said that the neighbor agreed to keep the dog inside until 6am on weekdays and 7am on weekends. Many people have to leave for work very early in the morning, and the dog has to go out.

I definitely don't agree with letting the dog out for more than 5 minutes. If this pooch is out there for 15+ minutes while the owner takes a shower, that's excessive.

I also think that if the woman can let the dog out on the other side of the yard, she should do that -- and if she isn't, then maybe she is just being difficult, or else she likes the neighbors on that side better than she likes the OP and her dh. (Not trying to be snarky -- just looking for a reason.)

I'm guessing you're the owner of a barky dog.

No, actually, I'm not.

I do believe, however, that when you move into a neighborhood where the houses are very close together, you have to expect some noise, including occasional barking dogs. This woman isn't leaving her dog outside barking all day long, and she's not doing it to be mean. (At least it doesn't sound that way to me.)

All that said, I do sympathize with the annoyance. We had a similar situation years ago, and it was a pain, but the guy left for work very early in the morning and the dogs had to go out before he left the house. And they barked. As dogs will do. But in a neighborhood with lots of houses, if the only bothersome noise is coming from one yappy Yorkie for a few minutes of the day, it's not the end of the world.

So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, because although I do understand the annoyance, I can also see it from the neighbor's perspective, and I don't think she should have to change her life to accommodate the OP. It sounds like she's trying to be cooperative, but the dog needs to do his business early in the morning.

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

And she could do something about it. Even just letting him out on the other side of the house would eliminate the problem. But she'd rather not.

Did she give you a reason? Is the neighbor on that side of the house a good friend of hers?

Although I've said in my other posts that when you live in a neighborhood, you're stuck with some noise, I would encourage you to call your town hall and ask what the noise ordinances say about barking dogs, and whether or not the powers-that-be would consider your neighbor's dog's barking to be in violation.

If she's breaking the law, you have grounds for a complaint. If not, I don't think you can do anything other than try to be so nice to the woman that she decides to start letting the dog out on the other side of the house.

I know I've seemed unsympathetic, but I honestly hope you're able to work this out with your neighbor. I have dealt with a similar situation, and I know that when it happens once or twice, it's easy to deal with, but when you're lying in bed just waiting for the barking to start every single day, it really grates on your last nerve, and it's hard not to lose your temper. :grouphug:

Cat

I don't care if the dog has to pee or not. If he barks in my neighborhood he is in violation of the noise ordinance that starts at 10pm and runs until 7 am. She needs to get her butt outside and walk the darn dog to control him-that simple. Go to dollar store and get an air horn. When he starts stand there and let it rip. I have dealt with idiot neighbors and their barking dogs for 5 long years. Not one, but now 5 dogs! We have called the cops multiple times and they have been warned. After one of them gave an officer a nice little bite they now pull then in the SECOND they start barking. Document, video tape, then go to the magistrate and have her pulled in for disturbing your right to peacefully dwell and enjoy your residence. Make her miserable.

OP, I agree with you and you are not over-reacting. We also had a neighbor dog who would bark right by our window, during the night as well as early am. The bark is what you were describing. It would literally make us jump out of the bed with pulses racing.

We tried everything. First kindness and politeness. Then more agressive. Then calling the authorities. When the neighbors cursed out the policemen, we knew we were in trouble and that they had no respect for neighbors or authorities. We began to be afraid of retaliation.

The stress (the numerous sudden awakenings with pulses racing) and lack of sleep, were making me unstable! I actually had horrible thoughts about harming the dog. (This is not me, and not who I am - I am totally ashamed of it now, but during the months this went on it was really starting to affect me.) I did not harm the dog. But I sure came to understand how crazy it can make people, and how a person with lesser moral values might do so.

Fortunately for us, the dog eventually escaped because one of the kids left the gate open. Thank God, they did not replace the dog.

It was a horrible experience. If your city noise ordinace is 10-7, they should not allow the dog to bark during that time. Period.

Unfortunatly for you, even if you call the authorities, they may not stop. As they say, laws are only for people who respect them. Some people have no respect for anything.

Then don't live in a small confined space imho.

Susan

Seriously, I would want to reverse the problem. I mean, would your neighbor want you to wake THEM up a half hour after they went to sleep and a half hour before they had to get up??

Before getting that nasty, though, I'd see what the ordinance is. Here, it's pretty strict, and you would get fined for that... You just have to call...

Otherwise, I'd be adjusting my schedule to getting up to blast some nice music... late at night... and earlier.. in the morning..

OK, maybe I'd also try the things for barking control..... The best I could get..

Won't that just make all of her other neighbors hate her? ;)

Cat

Maybe if they find out why she is doing it she will get some backup? She should not be a prisoner in her own home subject to the inconsiderate nature of her neighbor. She needs to walk her dog and control it or get a bark collar. If she lived next to an officer who worked nights and the dog was always waking him up I bet she would find a way to control the dog, wouldn't she? 6 am is inexcusable and she needs to see the magistrate.

The dog is only barking for a few minutes. It is not an all day thing. I know it is annoying but WOW!!! Maybe she does not want the dog using the whole yard as a bathroom?? That may be the spot for it. All neighbors will bother at times. It is inevitable. I personally would not complain if it was a few minutes of barking. I don't know. I am a pretty toleratble person though and I kinda feel live and let live on most subjects. What if a neighbor had a fussy baby? One that cried all night with the colic? If you could hear it would you really call the police on it? I hope you get to solve your problem. The air horn was an idea though, but possibly something quieter so the whole area don't hear? Like a noise that can startle him but not loud enough so that it startles others. You don't wanna become a problem for others. I don't think you can throw water if it is not on your property. Oh wait a second.. Set up a sprinkler turn it on and aim it at the fence that may make it go away. You are just watering your lawn. I just hope it can be resolved in a peaceful manner.

6 am is inexcusable and she needs to see the magistrate.

I guess part of that depends on where you live. In our area, if you are out at 6am, you'll see lights on in most of the houses. People get up early to commute to work. If they have dogs, they have to let them out at around that time, and I don't think it's fair that this woman should have to walk the dog on a leash when she has a fenced yard to let him out in. (I also don't think he should be out there barking for more than 5 minutes, though.)

That said, I did suggest to the OP that she check her local ordinances to see if she has any recourse, and I do think that, unless it poses some sort of danger to the dog, the woman could let the dog out on the other side of her house -- but she probably won't do that if the OP is unpleasant about it.

Cat