Menu

are you concerned over a food shortage?

No. But then I have two deep freezes full of homegrown stuff. I don't make bread so that would be a problem - I'd have to start. But we do have dairy goats, so I could start milking one any time I want. I'd need fruit and some vegies, but we woudn't starve for a long, long time, that's for sure.

I do think that anything is possible, but I'm not looking for our food system to fall apart anytime soon.

I'm not concerned so much with a shortage. To be honest with you, the US has more than enough arable land to support its current population. But, I am concerned about food prices and quality. I think that groceries are going to take an ever increasing portion of a family's income. I also think that food quality is a HUGE issue.

So, we are trying to do more towards raising our own and I can, freeze, and dehydrate quite a bit. We have 4-H show ducks who will also be producing eggs this spring, and I will add a few chickens this summer. I trade chores in the spring and summer for a feeder pig that ends up in the freezer in the fall.

Faith

We prepare because we think it's smart. It's not just about food shortages. It's about job losses and seasons of need. We're not into 5 year plans, though we'd love to be able to sustain ourselves at some point on a small farm. But we prepare our home for need for more than just some catastrophic global thing, but something catastrophic in our own lives.

i'm wondering who is trying to make you fearful, and what they gain by that. there may be food supply problems at some point, as there have been before, but currently there doesn't seem to be much of that on the horizon in the states.

that said, food is important. knowing the quality of what you are eating is important. we joined a CSA, so we know our farmer, and our farmer knows us. knowing the quality of the food, when its picked, etc, etc matters a lot to us. most grocery stores sell little real food as it is.

all that said, if they have really scared you, and you would feel better following the mormon teaching of storing food, there are organizations in most (all?) states that help with this. mormons who follow the teaching store 6 months worth of food. (we're not, but have friends who are).

being rural, we store a few months of basics all the time (rice, flour, etc). we have chickens.

fwiw,

ann

Considering the forecart of a snow storm cleans out the milk, bread, and eggs at the grocery in about an hour here, we do keep a good supply of food, not for anything catastrophic (we have other plans for that,) but just for the possiblity of a transportation hiccup.

Mostly, we keep food on hand because I like to be able to make whatever I want, whenever I want, and I like to stock up, and we buy meat by the animal, though. We keep a full freezer and pantry all the time.

I like to keep the house full of food -- enough stuff to let me go comfortably for a couple of weeks between shopping trips without ever feeling like we are low on things. I also keep a really stocked pantry which is a bit of insurance in case of a disruption in food availability or a sudden change in our financial situation. I do think prices are going to continue to climb, but I don't generally worry about shortages in the US. I do think that rising prices and shortages on staple foods will cause unrest in other countries.

Having extra food around is wise for a variety of reasons: job loss, weather emergency, huge flu outbreak, etc.

But right now, there is a little panic related to Glenn Beck telling people to prepare for a food emergency . . . which I am sure has nothing to do with the fact that one of the very few companies still advertising on his show sells emergency food supplies. Getting caught up in that . . . not wise. I would have thought that his gold debacle would have been enough to teach people to be a little more thoughtful about what he is hawking.

Well, I have not been to concerned. I have been hearing about alot of this through my MIL who listens to Glenn Beck a lot. Things have been said that food is going to skyrocket in price. And that people should not assume stores will always be there.

I am not the kind that freaks out over things said on the media. And as OCD as I am over health, I didn't even even flinch when the swine flu thing was all hyped up. (I don't even get a flu shot!!)

I know there are many people who have their basements filled to the ceiling with food. So I didn't know if the whole country was on edge over all this, and do I really need to be aware and pay attention.

Having extra food around is wise for a variety of reasons: job loss, weather emergency, huge flu outbreak, etc.

But right now, there is a little panic related to Glenn Beck telling people to prepare for a food emergency . . . which I am sure has nothing to do with the fact that one of the very few companies still advertising on his show sells emergency food supplies. Getting caught up in that . . . not wise. I would have thought that his gold debacle would have been enough to teach people to be a little more thoughtful about what he is hawking.

Really? See, I didn't know this. (about the advertisers for his show selling emergency food supplies...hmmmm). That would make sense.

Gold debacle? Oh wait, are you talking about when he was telling everyone to buy gold? I remember hearing something about that.

Well, I have to admit I felt pretty clever about having a nice stockpile of pumpkin over the past year.:D But that was a result of my usual stockpile shopping to save money, not because I knew there was a shortage coming. But every time I had to bring food someplace I would make something pumpkin, which made me pretty popular for the duration of the shortage.

I keep hearing we should be stocking up on food, and to not always think stores are going to be carrying food in the future.

Are you concerned over this, and are you stocking up?

Yes, I've been hearing this, but mostly on the financial websites. For instance the price of certain commodities such as corn is up quite a bit (and that impacts meat because it's animal feed).

FEMA suggests having a 3-day supply of food (really, who besides bachelors doesn't?) and two weeks for longer term emergencies.

I've been hearing sugar and coffee prices are set to go up.

Honestly? If it came to the point that we had food shortages in the US? There would be a LOT to worry about. Glenn Beck's 2 week food supply bags seem pretty dang silly when you think of the havoc that would be around us if we came to that point. He's nothing but a modern snake oil salesman.

It's true that the US exports more food than other first world countries, but the problem would be that you couldn't actually get the food from the farms to the industrial plants to the grocery stores. Grocery stores only keep enough inventory to last about two weeks without needing a shipment.

I don't think Glenn Beck means that you should only stock up on a two week supply, just that it's a good place to start. Like many other Mormons, he probably believes a five year supply is ideal. (I'm not a Glenn Beck fan, so I'm not defending him out of loyalty.)

Whether a collapse is sudden or is the result of a slow decrease in food production with a steady rise in prices, stocking up on non-perishables is just the smart thing to do. Even if you don't believe in a catastrophic food shortage, I wonder how many of you actually believe that food prices will go down in the next five years, making a stocked pantry a losing profit?

I've heard about this from a few different sources (the WSJ has had some articles on it, blogs, etc.). I agree with the below sentiment that if we get to that point in the U.S., we've got bigger things to worry about - so what I have heard hasn't pushed me to start building up an emergency supply of food...

Honestly? If it came to the point that we had food shortages in the US? There would be a LOT to worry about. Glenn Beck's 2 week food supply bags seem pretty dang silly when you think of the havoc that would be around us if we came to that point.

I don't think Glenn Beck means that you should only stock up on a two week supply, just that it's a good place to start. Like many other Mormons, he probably believes a five year supply is ideal. (I'm not a Glenn Beck fan, so I'm not defending him out of loyalty.)

I am not knocking his Mormon sensibilities or personal choices. I am knocking the fact that he is creating a market of fearful individuals, and then he is selling them things like a two week food supply bag. I find it disgusting.

What she said.

I've heard about this from a few different sources (the WSJ has had some articles on it, blogs, etc.). I agree with the below sentiment that if we get to that point in the U.S., we've got bigger things to worry about - so what I have heard hasn't pushed me to start building up an emergency supply of food...

The Wall Street Journal is owned by Rupert Murdoch, the one and same Rupert Murdoch that owns Fox news and airs Glenn Beck.

I'm not concerned so much with a shortage. To be honest with you, the US has more than enough arable land to support its current population. But, I am concerned about food prices and quality. I think that groceries are going to take an ever increasing portion of a family's income.

I agree--I think prices will go up, and if we have an economic collapse, it will affect food prices long before we'd have to worry about a shortage of food in stores.

Yes, I've been hearing this, but mostly on the financial websites. For instance the price of certain commodities such as corn is up quite a bit (and that impacts meat because it's animal feed).

FEMA suggests having a 3-day supply of food (really, who besides bachelors doesn't?) and two weeks for longer term emergencies.

This really doesn't have anything to do with real shortages but possible runs on stores in emergencies, real or percieved.

Food prices are expected to sky rocket within the next 6 months. Prices of commodities on the stock market have shot up in the last couple of months (in some cases doubling in value) this is because food is seen as a safe bet, everyone's gotta eat. :tongue_smilie:

This is already causing issues with some large food companies, especially name brand cereals. The commodities that have increased in value dramatically include: corn, wheat, oats, rice, and cotton.

No real shortages, but a real decrease in purchasing power and affordability. Can we say "Back to basics?"

I am not knocking his Mormon sensibilities or personal choices. I am knocking the fact that he is creating a market of fearful individuals, and then he is selling them things like a two week food supply bag. I find it disgusting.

I don't think it's just him creating the market, I think it's the subsidized food companies, too. Local, green consumerism is starting to make a more aware public. They need to shore up their baseline and what better than to create a panic so that everyone wants to buy non perishable foods--the ones made by Big Agriculture.

The commodities that have increased in value dramatically include: corn, wheat, oats, rice, and cotton.

Yeah, no subsidized crops there...

Maybe the people who stockpiled food for Y2K can sell you some of theirs?

The funniest story I remember from that time was an interview with a store owner in Pennsylvania Amish country. They were getting lots of orders for equipment in case there was no electricity or no food. They had a man from NYC who wanted to buy equipment for canning. The store owner asked what kind of food they were raising. The NYC man said none. So the store owner asked what was he planning to can? The NYC man said fruits and vegetables that he would buy at the grocery. The store owner asked - can't you just buy canned food? Oh. He hadn't thought of that.

I think it is wise to prepare for natural disasters most likely to happen in your area - tornados, hurricanes, ice storms, etc Water is one of the most important thing to have on hand.

My DH always says if we have a disaster that bad, then the hordes will overrun us and steal our food anyway.

Food prices are expected to sky rocket within the next 6 months. Prices of commodities on the stock market have shot up in the last couple of months (in some cases doubling in value) this is because food is seen as a safe bet, everyone's gotta eat. :tongue_smilie:

People do have to eat, but they can only eat so much. We've seen lots of bubbles in commodity futures prices that collapse when the markets realize that we can only eat (and they can only physically sell) the normal amount of pork bellies, orange juice, wheat etc.

I'm hearing more and more about this and I don't listen to Glenn Beck. I've been in 2 grocery stories this week and both had major empty shelves. Perhaps that is due to the rapidly approaching holiday. Neither had pie crust or raspberry jam. One was completely out of "average" size sugar bags. Both were very low on bread, oil, and flour. One was selling bacon for $7. Neither had "bag" salad. Both were low on cranberries. One had no canned pumpkin. But, hearing about fuel prices going up, grocery prices going up, and shortages AND seeing the shelves lower than I've seen them other than a hurricane or snow storm coming, did get me a bit concerned......

You're kidding me, right? Many here are saying this solely due to what Glenn Beck says so he can make a buck? :001_huh: Sounds like some alternate media is getting to you about what to think of Beck, more than Beck is getting to me. I don't have cable to watch Fox News, and I've only occasionally had opportunity to catch his radio show because I, well, homeschool.

My husband has seen the writing on the wall for this for some time now, due to watching the markets, reading history, and other far less fun places to bash. I agree that we are about to see a major shift in economics and that food is a prime area for inflation. Preparing yourself for a food crisis has to do with a lot of things, in the ability for the average family to afford it if there is a jump in prices, and the ability for farmers to continue to produce it when they are often already barely managing. Feast and famine are pretty common through history and I highly doubt we have seen the end of this common human predicament.

Really, jumping to the Fox News/Glenn Beck talk diverts from the discussion to the point where it takes over and we can't even discuss what's going on in the world, 'cause someone on Fox may have mentioned it once.

Edited by CLHCO

I'm hearing more and more about this and I don't listen to Glenn Beck. I've been in 2 grocery stories this week and both had major empty shelves. Perhaps that is due to the rapidly approaching holiday. Neither had pie crust or raspberry jam. One was completely out of "average" size sugar bags. Both were very low on bread, oil, and flour. One was selling bacon for $7. Neither had "bag" salad. Both were low on cranberries. One had no canned pumpkin. But, hearing about fuel prices going up, grocery prices going up, and shortages AND seeing the shelves lower than I've seen them other than a hurricane or snow storm coming, did get me a bit concerned......

Well our shelves looked fully stocked. I guess I'll go get everything but the produce tomorrow to be sure.

You're kidding me, right? Everyone here thinks people are saying this solely due to what Glenn Beck says so he can make a buck? :001_huh: Sounds like some alternate media is getting to you about what to think of Beck, more than Beck is getting to me.

Reading this thread, I didn't think everyone here thought that Glen Beck is talking about this issue to make a buck but I do think its fair to mention that there has been talk about this because of his show. That's why he mentions it right, to get people talking about it? I also think it is fair to point out how he is profiting from it too.

BTW, I don't need anyone or any "alternate media" to get to me about what to think about Beck. I don't like him and no one had to tell me not to like him. I don't see how it "sounds like some alternate media" is getting to anyone in this thread either... that is a strange assumption. :confused:

Reading this thread, I didn't think everyone here thought that Glen Beck is talking about this issue to make a buck but I do think its fair to mention that there has been talk about this because of his show. That's why he mentions it right, to get people talking about it? I also think it is fair to point out how he is profiting from it too.

BTW, I don't need anyone or any "alternate media" to get to me about what to think about Beck. I don't like him and no one had to tell me not to like him. I don't see how it "sounds like some alternate media" is getting to anyone in this thread either... that is a strange assumption. :confused:

The "everyone" thing wasn't the right word. I'm going to go back and change it because it does sound far more dramatic than I meant.

No one needs other media to dislike Glenn Beck - that I get. However, places like the Huffington Post have a bit of an occasional fixation on him, I've noticed, and they often are the ones who up the drama over who is advertising on his show and why. I don't really get that because a smart advertiser will run to the show already talking about what they're selling for a prime audience. Do we freak because Al Gore is invested in green companies? Maybe we should. He's not even a radio show with advertisers.

But to be fair, perhaps we need to go there and get it out of the system, while still keeping the discussion on strack. Is there no real reason to stock up and Glenn Beck is simply driving fears to make a buck, or is there are real reason, he's crying out the warning, and a smart advertiser found a place to benefit from a need - as any good business would?

I only commented because I have noticed that if something was said on Fox News (again - I don't have cable and do not watch it), a certain number of brains shut off and the discussion gets snarky instead of productive. It gets old.

Edited by CLHCO

people are shopping the sales for the holiday here-but the shelves are fully stocked and with great sales.

Actually, it's a one year supply. ;)

My DH and I do have foodstorage. We have about a 3-6 month supply currently of the basics: rice, wheat, beans, some dried fruits and vegetables, pastas and sauces, canned meats, yeast, spices, sugar, etc. etc. We also have 72 hour kits for the event of a mandatory evacuation (which, living in the PNW near many volcanos, and along a major fault line, isn't totally out of the realm of possibility)

Why do we have the longterm supply?

1. Incase DH looses his job and we are without an income for a while. (it's also a reason why we have very little debt and as big a savings account as we can manage, so that we can "float" for as long as possible after a job loss.)

2. Incase of a natural diaster that cuts off our area from food trasport (which is *highly* likely given our towns location and how many volcanos we have around). Of course it's not likely to last 6 months, but a few weeks supply would be very handy to have for situations like that. A single snow storm about 5 years ago cut off food deliveries to our area for a week, and it was very limited amounts that came in for about a week after that. We were able to avoid the panic at the stores by living off our food storage.

I'm not expecting society to collapse, and it's not the reason I hear in church for why food storage is a good idea. It's always just "preparedness", which includes other things like staying out of debt, learning to be independent, and learning how to handle not-out-of-the-ordinary emergencies (like fire evacuation and things like that).

"Life as we know it" can always change in the blink of an eye, even if it's only for your family.

We aren't worried about a huge national food crisis but I have been trying to slowly build a stocked pantry and a supply of enough food and water to last us a couple of weeks. I think it is just good family planning practices- even the government (no fan of Glenn Beck!) advises everyone to have a 2 week supply of food and water at ready.gov. If any sort of natural, civil, or personal crisis made it difficult to either get to the store or for the store to get food on the shelves, I want to be able to not panic or eat ketchup. Right now, I'm planning for short term problems like ice storms, tornadoes, boil water advisories because of broken pipes, or maybe even just DH and I getting the flu at the same time and neither of us wanting to go to the store.

Well, I am a Mormon, and we're only counseled to have a one year supply. If I had a five year supply, I'd have to move out of my house...there'd be no room. :lol: Also, we are not advised to do this out of any sort of "the sky is falling" type fear. It's simply self-reliance and being prepared for any kind of emergency that might occur in your life. And, it's super easy to do. Plus, we USE our food storage. It just doesn't sit there in some sort of Cuban Missle Crisis bomb shelter with our gas masks and radiation suits. It's part of my everyday life.

Well, we take a lot for granted. The three main pillars of developed civilization are the availability of power (electricity), transportation and a financial system to make it go. If any one of those three goes down for a significant amount of time, they all go down. Based on what happened two years ago, I wouldn't be completely comfortable thinking we have nothing to worry about.

It is said we are only nine missed meals away from the collapse of civilization. Food for thought.

I've heard that, with the addition of flour and chocolate. I'm stocking up on those things because I usually do a lot of baking. My stove runs on propane, so unless deliveries were interrupted and I ran out, I can always cook. This will stave off, for a time, my having to pay inflated prices for these products, which will irk me to no end.

I stock up on whatever staples are on sale (at a good price) at the grocery. I have a lot of rice, dried beans, and canned fruit, along with some other things, of course.

I want to be sure that in the event we cannot buy food, for whatever reason, we can eat what we have for a few months. I am being prudent. I don't buy it all at once, but gradually, every time I go to the grocery store. In case of financial disaster, which we have experienced in the recent past, I buy grocery store gift cards so I'll always have something set aside specifically for food.

I don't think our society is going to collapse. If it does, I doubt that many of us can be fully prepared for it. I don't personally know anyone who is living in modern times, yet is prepared to be fully self-sufficient in order to protect themselves from marauding hordes in search of food, water and shelter.

As far as inflation is concerned, I have noticed food prices have gone up quite a bit in the past year and a half. Manufacturers have, in many cases, hidden it by putting less product in the same size packaging.

Edited by RoughCollie

We don't have space to keep large amounts of stored food (or anything else) but we probably have enough food in our kitchen to last a couple weeks. We may not be eating well but we wouldn't starve. Since where I live we rarely are even snowed in for more than a day (and even then we could get out in our Suburban if it was an emergency) I'm not worried.

If it was a more wide-spread situation than a weather emergency we would probably need to get creative. We have a propane stove and a fireplace so we could manage to cook/keep warm for a while without electricity. We're on a very wooded acre of land so we would be okay for firewood for a while.

Right now we drink bottled water but we have a well which is safe (probably) but extremely hard water. We also have a fairly large river (that doesn't freeze over) on one edge of our property.

Our biggest problem would probably be my son. He is extremely picky (with sensory issues) and lives on peanut butter sandwiches. Not having bread would be a problem although he will eat pb on waffles.

We don't have (nor want) any guns so if there was a real collapse, our biggest problem could be other people trying to take what we have. I would prefer to think that people and communities will pull together. Dh does have a bow that he can use to hunt and fishes quite a bit.

Edited to add: I will need to head right out and stock up on chocolate though. That is absolutely essential to daily living around here.

Not concerned at all here, but we always have enough on hand for "basic" emergencies (snowstorms, etc) since we live out in the country. We also have plenty of wildlife around and do a bit of gardening ourselves, so aren't as dependent on other food sources as many might be. We also have our own water, our own generator, and oil lamps, but not due to concern about anything. They're just standard equipment in places where you're not necessarily first in line to get electricity fixed when power goes out.

I stock up on staples in the fall and early winter, because I hate pushing a cart across slippery, bumpy, ice/snow packed, wind-whipping parking lots in weather that is far below freezing.

We also have to have a decent supply of things food & essentials in case of winter storms or floods here.