Menu

What are your all time favorite or favorite right now cookbooks?

I love Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. I also like the Barefoot Contessa's cookbooks. I, too, am a cookbook junkie. Other favorites include: The Joy of Cooking, Fannie Farmer, Martha Stewart Holiday, The Instant Ethnic Cook, various Moosewood cookbooks, Booty Foods, and Southern Living Annual ones for many years.

I love Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. I also like the Barefoot Contessa's cookbooks. I, too, am a cookbook junkie. Other favorites include: The Joy of Cooking, Fannie Farmer, Martha Stewart Holiday, The Instant Ethnic Cook, various Moosewood cookbooks, Booty Foods, and Southern Living Annual ones for many years.

I love that cookbook. I had to give it back to the library since they wouldn't let me renew it again. They have to have it for 24 hours, then I can go get it. When I cash in my Mypoints for a bookstore gc, I will buy it for myself lol.

Betty Crocker. I've never gone wrong with Betty - from potato salad, to chocolate chip cookies, to pies. Betty's great!

I agree. When I first got married, I had Betty, Family Circle and Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks. I finally threw away the BHG since I couldn't stand anything I made from it. Loved everything from Betty and found a few good things in the FC.

I really like Cheap, Fast, Good and have several go-to recipes from there. Paula Deen, The Clueless Vegetarian, Taste of Home annual cookbooks, etc are favorites too.

I adore reading cookbooks. I have way too many, but I love browsing through them or sitting down with a few and a cup of tea. These are the ones I use the most, and would have a hard time living without:

Marcella Hazan's "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking"

Randelman's "Memoirs of a Cuban Kitchen" & Lluria de O'Higgins " Taste of Old Cuba" - I tend to read the recipes in each book for the same dish, then choose/combine/improvise

"Ultimate Soup Bible" by Sheasby

"Vegetable Love" by Kafka

and Fannie Farmer for a few standard quick breads and cookies

This is my go to cookbook because it has everything in it. I've also never gone wrong with any of the recipes in "Family Feasts for $75 a Week" by Mary Ostyn.

I want Madhur Jaffreys new cookbook, and am on the look out for a good Middle Eastern cookbook.

Clueless in the Kitchen, because it has stripped-down but made-from scratch recipes. It tells me what I *have* to do, and leaves out the extras. I can add to the recipe if I want, but I don't have to. Ditto the Clueless Vegetarian and the Clueless Baker.

More with Less Cookbook. Whole foods, from scratch, with inexpensive ingredients and lots of vegetarian variations.

Martha Stuart's Everyday Food magazines. From scratch, short ingredient lists, seasonal.

Cooking for Isaiah by Silvana Nardone (the founding editor of Raechel Ray's magazine). It's gluten & dairy free, but you can sub in wheat flour and regular milk 1:1 for any recipe if you don't have those diet needs. (They all use a flour mix that acts like wheat flour, but is safe for gf people.) EVERY recipe I've tried so far has been fabulous... :)

Guest mrsjamiesouth
I am a cookbook junkie. I love them. I am in need of good ideas of more to get.

So, what are your favorites and must haves? Also can anyone recommend any good cookbooks for Russian, German, or any specific country types ones?

Me too! I love cookbooks. :001_smile:

Here is one I like that is Irish:

http://www.amazon.com/Myrtle-Allens-Cooking-Ballymaloe-House/dp/1584790423/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289097041&sr=8-1-spell

This is American but her recipes are really good and she homeschools.:D

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Woman-Cooks-Recipes-Accidental/dp/0061658197/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_url

Me too! I love cookbooks. :001_smile:

Here is one I like that is Irish:

http://www.amazon.com/Myrtle-Allens-Cooking-Ballymaloe-House/dp/1584790423/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289097041&sr=8-1-spell

This is American but her recipes are really good and she homeschools.:D

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Woman-Cooks-Recipes-Accidental/dp/0061658197/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_url

The Irish one is perfect. My boys are Irish! They will love this.

Edited by hsmom

:iagree:i enjoy all of [Nigella Lawson's] books...for just reading as well

i

:iagree: I contend that How To Eat is a book to read, not to generally cook from, although her roast chicken directions is the base of my roasted chicken, and her ice cream recipe is wonderful. But, she writes beautifully and it is a book to read.

I think With Love, Cynthia is my all-time favorite. It inspires me on many levels and all the recipes turn out perfectly. The soups are especially wonderful and unique.

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Cynthia-collection-recipes-remembrances/dp/0962759015/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289140396&sr=1-1

My favorite all-around cookbook is The New Best Recipe. The old edition was my standard for many years, but the Pad Thai recipe in the new edition is worth the price of the book.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Best-Recipe-All-New/dp/0936184744/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289140570&sr=1-1

Edited by Luann in ID

Gourmet Today - the newest edition

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison

Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home - Fast and Easy

I've got the Moosewood Restaurant Sunday Cooking and Cooking for your health coming this week.

I also very soon (like next weekend) will order one of the Cooks Illustrated cookbooks. I haven't decided which one. (Suggestions welcome) And I'm interested in the Fine Cooking year's best cookbooks. I'm not sure I want to start buying those though.

Betty Crocker. I've never gone wrong with Betty - from potato salad, to chocolate chip cookies, to pies. Betty's great!

I agree, you can't go wrong with Betty Crocker. I also love the Dining on a Dime cookbook. Not only does it have lots of down home, inexpensive recipes but lots of cute quotes and stories and housekeeping ideas.

I received "The Best Recipe" by the editors of Cook's Illustrated Magazine and have loved it. It describes the experimentation they did in the test kitchen en route to achieving what they consider "the best recipe". It's even fun to sit and read, even if I don't plan to cook anything. :001_smile:

Erica in OR

Farm House Cooking (not available on the mainstream market...this is a Mennonite cookbook put together in Canada)

A Lenten Cookbook for Orthodox Christians (Complete with charts and recipes that suit the various fasts...gift from my Nouna)

Philippine Recipes Made Easy

MORE! Real Guamanian Recipes (first cookbook I inherited from my mother...love this one just for the fact that I remember these foods from when I was a child)

The Complete Book of Greek Cooking

I Hear America Cooking (I have an older edition)

Mennonite Community Cookbook (I have PART of this book. Someone passed on what was left of their old one when they replaced it with new :lol:)

Heritage Cook Book (Better Homes and Garden 1975)

Sushi (New Year's tradition around here...I make sushi when we stay up all night watching a movie till the ball drops)

Ball Blue Book: Guide to Home Canning and Freezing (1991) (this book was my lifeline while learning to stock and store)

My first cook book was a Betty Crocker also. It was okay, not the best, but doable for a beginner. I finally pitched it this past year have years of non-use.

I really would love to get one of Giada's cookbooks and a nice vegetarian cookbook.

Edited by mommaduck

Can anyone recommend a good crockpot cookbook?

I asked this once. Everyone replied with the Fix- It and Forget it Books by Phyllis Pellman Good. Right now I have the Fix it and Forget it Big Cookbook on my desk, it is huge! Has great color pictures, and the recipes I have tried have been really good.