Menu

American Girl Dolls

Ok, don't through tomatoes or anything but have any of you gotten your dd more than one AG doll?

Money is really tight for us right now as we are trying to get our feet back on the ground after our oldest ds's 3 1/2 month stay in the hospital. I normally budget about $100 for each of our younger two for Christmas and that would cover the doll she wants(Felicity, going into archive) but she has two AG dolls plus several other 18" dolls from Target. Yes, she plays with them, at times a lot but still.

I really struggle with some of this stuff. UGH!

DD is 7, she got an AG doll last year for her birthday (6th bday), she's getting another in a few weeks for a combo bday/christmas present from MIL when they come to visit for Thanksgiving (we're going to the AG store and having tea at the Cafe).

I'm pretty sure this won't be her last AG doll.

Patchfire's daughter has three, plus the three from when patchfire was a girl. The younger girl will probably end up w/ three as well.

Babypie is getting her first AG doll this Christmas, but it's just a Bitty Baby (either the Caucasian brunette or the Asian baby, because she looked at the catalogue and said MINES!).

My daughter already has 2, Felicity and Kirsten, but she will be getting Elizabeth on her birthday in November. I had previously said that two would be the limit unless she saved up and bought them on her own, but Elizabeth is being archived! I had no choice!

She will be thrilled because she knows that Elizabeth is being retired and is very sad because she couldn't save enough money in time to get her. I can't wait to see her face!

If that's about what you were going to spend and that's what she has asked for, I'd go for it!

Our daughter got a Bitty Baby for Christmas at age 5, Josefina Montoya for Christmas at age 7, and will be getting Julie for her 9th birthday next week. She really had a hard time deciding between Felicity and Julie, but finally decided on Julie because she wants to style her hair :D.

We're really hoping for a new historical doll being introduced next year.

Better a few AG dolls that are loved than one that's ignored or mistreated! I still cringe when I remember seeing a 6-year-old neighbor girl dragging her AG doll around naked by the hair through the yard. My best friend and I (11 & 13 at the time) both wanted AG dolls, but our parents wouldn't buy them for us. I bought my own when I was 14. This little girl would leave hers outside for days then drag it around for a while until she dumped it again. What a waste!

I guess I'm the only one here, but each of my dds had one AG doll each. They've outgrown them long ago, but they are each packed away in their closets for the day they can give them to their dds. They each got some of the clothes and books that went with the outfits for Christmas and birthdays, but I also made other clothes for them and they each got a wardrobe I made from a kit (Was a bigger craft/construction project than I anticipated at the time :001_smile:) They each understood an AG doll was a big deal and never asked or seemed to want more. They played with them, but I can't say they were their favorite toy. When older dd outgrew hers she let her younger sis take the doll and all the accessories into her room and younger sis basically had custody until she no longer played with them.

Mary

ETA: Felicity is my favorite and it would be tempting just because she won't be available anymore. We lived very near Williamsburg at the time my older dd got her AG doll, so she picked Felicity.

Edited by Mary in VA

Here....let me make you feel a WHOLE LOT better about your buying decision. Each of the 9 AG dolls we own (and I didn't even count Bitty Baby, so make that 10) has EVERY stinking accessory, item of clothing and piece of furniture that was ever made for her. :blink: My mother and MIL bought my dd entire collections for Christmas and/or her birthday. I will say, however, that my dd has truly loved and played with them. She took excellent care of them (Kaya's hair was never even unbraided, because she didn't want to mess it up.) and they are now lovingly stored away in our basement to await future grandchildren.

I will also add that the accessories are beautiful and worth it, if anyone is wondering. And, the trunks are REALLY worth it!! Best AG investment we ever made was buying each doll her trunk!

And, yes....I'm still waiting for Pleasant Rowland (AG founder) to give us some sort of award for AG doll customer insanity. :glare:

We bought one but dd did end up with ack 4. They still sit lovingly on her shelf. "No Mama I couldn't give them away. It just wouldn't be right!"

And she would be right. :001_smile: I still have the one I saved up for 18 years ago! I definitely hope dd will like them, so I will have an excuse to get more. :D

If you're going to get one. My tip is to check craigslist. We have multiple people selling used ones in perfect condition for $60-80. It's not saving you tons, but some.

I thought about it but right now my daughter just wants one from Michael's so DH and I decided to wait until she is older and cares more to get her a real one.

Here....let me make you feel a WHOLE LOT better about your buying decision. Each of the 9 AG dolls we own (and I didn't even count Bitty Baby, so make that 10) has EVERY stinking accessory, item of clothing and piece of furniture that was ever made for her. :blink: My mother and MIL bought my dd entire collections for Christmas and/or her birthday. I will say, however, that my dd has truly loved and played with them. She took excellent care of them (Kaya's hair was never even unbraided, because she didn't want to mess it up.) and they are now lovingly stored away in our basement to await future grandchildren.

I will also add that the accessories are beautiful and worth it, if anyone is wondering. And, the trunks are REALLY worth it!! Best AG investment we ever made was buying each doll her trunk!

And, yes....I'm still waiting for Pleasant Rowland (AG founder) to give us some sort of award for AG doll customer insanity. :glare:

Wow, what a lucky little girl! :001_smile:

Better a few AG dolls that are loved than one that's ignored or mistreated! I still cringe when I remember seeing a 6-year-old neighbor girl dragging her AG doll around naked by the hair through the yard. My best friend and I (11 & 13 at the time) both wanted AG dolls, but our parents wouldn't buy them for us. I bought my own when I was 14. This little girl would leave hers outside for days then drag it around for a while until she dumped it again. What a waste!

Ohmygosh! Remember when Ma made Laura give Charlotte (?) to the girl who was visiting and then, later, they found the poor beloved doll frozen in a mud puddle?

:crying:

My girls will be getting their 4th dolls for their birthdays next week. They are the most played with things we have. Even my oldest dd that doesn't play with other dolls loves them. They just told me last night that they will never give those away because they can save them and pass them on to their own daughters. I would rather spend money on those than a multitude of other junk that just clutters up the house.

DD got one for Hanukkah from us last year, and one from her grandparents as an end-of-school gift. She wants Kit now, but I told her she has to wait at least another year or save her money.

I don't think more than one doll is unreasonable if they play with them. If you feel it's out of your budget for this year and she already has a couple, I'd wait.

Thanks ladies for sharing your American Girl experiences. It was fun to read.

I ordered Felicity this morning after talking to my DH a bit more. You are right, if the money is going to be spent and that is what she wants and she enjoys them, why not. She is turning 11 this next month, I am guessing it won't be that many more years that she will be interested in an AG doll for Christmas.:001_smile:

My DD just got her first one a few weeks ago when we went to the AG store/cafe (an early birthday present). So far, it's been amazing to see how much play she's done with Kaya and how creative she's been. Kaya now has a tipi, canoe, travois, food, all lovingly made by a little girl out of paper, sticks, duct tape, model magic, and so on (with help from mom). She also has a bunch of animal friends.

I have a feeling Kaya won't be our last AG doll.

Guest mom2fourkiddos

My daughter's first AG doll was Kit since I had taken just her ( I have 3 sons as well) to see the movie when it was in the theater. Then, last Christmas she got Ruthie. Now, with Felicity being retired, she has asked for her so of course, she will be getting her. She doesn't typically play with dolls often, but she has watched Felicity so many times after getting the movie last Christmas, I couldn't stand her not to have her and she really wants her. I hadn't planned to buy any dolls this year since she doesn't really play with them, but I really think she will play with Felicity being that she will also get the horse to go with her and she is into horses big time. I say go for it if you have the money to spend. Money is tight here too and she won't be getting all the AG stuff she has asked for, but she will get the main things, which are the doll, horse, and stable set. Part of it will probably be from a grandparent so we can get her a couple of other smaller things she's asked for!

Our plan in one each. My dd8 has Kit and LOVES her. She got her for Christmas last year and still sleeps with her on her own little pillow next to hers every night. She takes off the little shoes every night and places them carefully on the side of the bed, and then puts them on again each morning. For a few months she read aloud at night in her bed from her chapter books to her even.

We thought little dd who was 5 last year was too young for one, but we let her buy a my Generation doll from Target with her own $ from Gma. She loves it just as much as older dd does her Kit. So now that she is 6 she will get one for Christmas.

We are trying to decide which one. She has always wanted Kaya, but now thinks she wants Elizabeth instead since they are no longer making her and she loves the pink dress. But she still loves Kaya too. We had never planned on letting her have another one, but I can see her in the years to come really wanting Kaya. We shall see what happens there.

And as for dd8 who will be jealous that dd6 will now have 2 (the Target one and the A.G.) we might have to help her save to get herself an Our Generation this year. Maybe Gma will give her Christmas $ again:tongue_smilie:We do plan on getting her an outfit for Kit for Christmas when we order Elizabeth.

Yes, we love A.G. too. They weren't around when I was little, or I would have wanted one I am sure. I remember my first Cabbage Patch when they were the rage and hard to get (and I was kind of old for one...) and I ended up with 3.

we have more than 5 and now that older sister has given all of hers to the twins, they want more. I have no problem buying them AG dolls. So, I have three daughters now playing with them. It's a great thing for us because it's an interchange of play and sharing. Like I said though, I've saved those dolls for 13 years. :-) I plan on saving them all for my granddaughters.

We curently have 4 AG dolls in the house. Lindsay (girl of the year some years ago), Kirsten (now retired), and Kailey (another girl of the year) all belong to my older daughter, who outgrew them a few years ago.

My little daughter has Rebecca and is asking for Lanie or Elizabeth for Christmas.

My DD11 has one but wants another one.

My DD is at an age where she wants to "be older" and is changing into the young teen stage. Her AG doll is something she still plays with and treasures, and still keeps the "little girl" in her. The AG dolls seem to do that with many girls.

And anything that does that is just fine by me, and is money well spent.

Yes, BUT we have a combination of AG dolls purchased new and some that were gently loved and purchased on Craigslist. We also purchased most of our furniture, clothes, and other accessories from Craigslist.

I have an issue with paying full price for something if I am able to get the same thing or close to the same thing for less with a little hunting around.

HTH.