Menu

Do you feel homeschool curriculum often lacks basic skills?

lovetobehome

So I am preparing my kids for our (required) standardized testing. I am amazed at all the things in there that we have never taught. I am beginning to think there are some major skills ignored in much of the curriculum I have used. Take history curricula--I have used MANY. But we have never really taught how to use maps/geography skills. Basic stuff that I somehow ignored or missed. They can tell you all about mapping Egypt, Sumeria, etc, but not basic mapping.(by this I mean, get from here to there, which highways do you use, how many miles is it, go north then east and where do you end up). I am beginning to see why people like Bob Jones and A Beka. At least you know they are getting all those basic skills each year!

In math, I am seeing we haven't covered time, money, graphing, measuring or fractions very much. We are now using TT, so I think this stuff will be covered well.

I am taking the next 2 weeks just to teach all this stuff we missed. I plan to continue reviewing this stuf through the year. It really has me thinking about how I want to approach schooling next year. It isn't that I want to teach to the test, but these are things I really think a 3rd grader SHOULD know.

Has anyone else realized that in their quest for the most exciting, wonderful homeschool curriculum, you are missing some basic stuff? Or is it just me? Maybe I have just picked all the wrong curricula!

I know there are a lot of OTHER neat things about curriculum I have used. But I guess I am just thinking this basic stuff should be included in more curriculum. Just wondering out loud.

Edited by lovetobehome

Actually, I never would have thought about this. But I have an ESL daughter (home from Ethiopia 2-1/2 years) adn in June she had a screening with the ESL teacher at the school. Basically, she bombed the "life skills" part! That means that she couldn't find food on a menu, read a bar graph, read a map, handle a budget, etc. So then I thought maybe my other (bio) kids might be having problems. So, I bought a map skills book and a great book called Real World Math by Carson-Dellarosa. I also talk a lot more now about the news, geography, current events, reading subway maps when we travel, etc. I *think* it's helping. They really like a lot of what we do also.

jeri

Different curricula introduce topics at different times. It could be that the math program you chose introduces time, fractions, etc. at a higher grade level than the one used in your state's public schools.

I use living books and hands-on activities to introduce time, money, measuring, and fractions. For example, for money we read Alexander Who Used to be Rich Last Sunday, Dollars and Cents for Harriet, The Coin Counting Book, and Sorting Money.

For map skills, read There's a Map on My Lap then make your own maps. Treasure maps are a lot of fun. Hide a treat, then give your children a map showing them where the treat is hidden. For more advanced students, give compass directions and measurements (walk west 6 yards, then SW for 20 yards etc.) Or, pick up one of the many inexpensive geography/map skills workbooks.

There is nothing wrong with taking time to work on what you consider to be basic skills. It does not mean your curriculum is lacking, just that you haven't gotten to that skill yet. Set aside 15-20 minutes a few times a week to work on specific skills.

The so-called standards testing leaves a lot to be desired. I feel for those who have to go through it. I find it to be an incringement upon my beliefs; not only what I deem fit to teach my child, but when I want to. That's all it is. It's a timeline using ps schedule.

I suppose if you're going to or have to test, then you'll have to do so, learn those things according to their schedule. If not, I see no purpose. I say when my dd is ready to learn certain content and in what order. After all that's the beauty of homeschooling. I think in the end it all comes out, as the pp mentioned they all teach relatively the same thing in due time.

I decided to teach Geography and Maps using Evan Moor Beginning Geography and unit studies on each continent before we start our history cycle because I think the map work done in the history programs will make more sense if they have this background. We actually just started it last week. We do have There's a Map in my Lap and my son loves reading it.

I know our math program will get to time and money eventually but my son is fascinated with both concepts now so I picked up some workbooks and games to introduce it. When we get to it in our program we'll do a review.

I am finding that we are missing a lot of the "preschool" activities and skills. Topics like All About Me, My Family, Fire Safety, Community Helpers, etc. I've been trying to stick these in as fun units every so often but I'm sure were missing quite a few. Holidays and Seasons are the easiest since it's hard to miss when they are coming.

I didn't bother giving the science and social studies portions of the Iowa last year because I knew that following the 4 yr. WTM cycle didn't line up with the random assortment of stuff taught in the government-run schools. I figure everything will get covered eventually so I'm not going to worry about it in elementary school.

Now if you're talking about a jr. high student, then I'd be more concerned about gaps.

Different curricula introduce topics at different times. It could be that the math program you chose introduces time, fractions, etc. at a higher grade level than the one used in your state's public schools.

I use living books and hands-on activities to introduce time, money, measuring, and fractions. For example, for money we read Alexander Who Used to be Rich Last Sunday, Dollars and Cents for Harriet, The Coin Counting Book, and Sorting Money.

For map skills, read There's a Map on My Lap then make your own maps. Treasure maps are a lot of fun. Hide a treat, then give your children a map showing them where the treat is hidden. For more advanced students, give compass directions and measurements (walk west 6 yards, then SW for 20 yards etc.) Or, pick up one of the many inexpensive geography/map skills workbooks.

There is nothing wrong with taking time to work on what you consider to be basic skills. It does not mean your curriculum is lacking, just that you haven't gotten to that skill yet. Set aside 15-20 minutes a few times a week to work on specific skills.

:iagree: Different curriculums introduce concepts at different times. I never taught to the test, yet my kids had learned to love learning, and they were able to figure stuff out and always did very well on standardized tests!

Well, I take that back--I DID "teach to the test" in one area. For some time the ITBS test had questions about the card catalog, even tough it really wasn't ever used anymore! So I HAD to explain to my kids what it was and how it had been used. I'd hate to see them get a lower score just because ITBS hadn't updated their test booklets! :001_huh: :tongue_smilie:

At any rate, I noticed differences in what my kids learned as compared to what some of the ps kids were learning. However, often times my kids had a deeper understanding and wider knowledge base of things in general, which to me was much more important than "teaching to the test!" Check out what you kids DO know that many their age in ps might not. I'm thinking it's a good amount!

When my kids were young we'd often go on "rabbit trails" to answer questions they had about things. We did workbooks and saw videos and dvds about many things. One man at church was VERY into people knowing their community--map-wise especially. So, for awhile, my kids studied the local maps and learned much about it. He'd quiz them after church. It was a delight to all of them, and they learned a lot! One neighbor had his son in a Korean language class. He asked my boys to go too, and they did. They didn't learn to speak Korean, but it broadened their horizons, they learned some symbols and phrases, and we studied about Korea.

I'm thinking we, as parents and teachers, need to take the responsibility to learn some of these things on our own. If it's important to you, then find interesting, fun, meaningful ways to learn the info.! Most curriculums cannot cover EVERYTHING everyone would wish to be covered. There are a lot of programs out there that can be utilized to learn different things. I wouldn't blame anyone, I'd just go out and find what will work for our family! :001_smile:

I added a storebought maps and geography workbook to our story of the world studies because I don't think it goes deep enough into mapping for elem. school.

As for math, I use R&S which leaves a lot of things that are taught in the early years in P.S. and even other hs curriculums out until much later. I choose for the most part that that is ok, because I can see in the scope and sequence that it will all get covered. I like the way it teaches. I know they will master it. I have again added some basic graph reading on my own to make sure they are familiar.

I also got the Evan-Moor Beginning Geography book, and doing worksheets from that book is actually one of DD's favorite things every week. It covers basic map skills pretty thoroughly for the K-2 level. It also discusses land forms and some very basic geography (not enough geography to really be complete, but we didn't get it for that part anyway). We also have one concept of Moving Beyond The Page which covers map skills, compass directions, etc. I really don't know why I remembered this particular topic, but I did for whatever reason. I'm sure there's something really important that I am forgetting, though. :tongue_smilie: I recently realized that Rightstart Math doesn't teach measuring until about the last 10 lessons, and it doesn't even teach it using standard measurements. I'll definitely be using something to teach that this year - I think a kid ought to know how to use a ruler when they enter second grade!

I do think it's important to see what is being taught/required in the schools, and then to make an informed decision on what should and shouldn't be included in your home school. Like someone else mentioned, my history path doesn't match up to the social studies taught in school, and I'm fine with that. The key word is aware. You should know if and how your curriculum veers from the local norm, and be aware of any potential consequences. Make informed decisions.

I bought the Spectrum Test Prep books last year and had my kids work through them (a page or so a week). Economics is a "biggie" that's covered as early as 1st grade here, so it was good to give them some exposure to it with the prep books. Another good resource is the "What your 1st, etc. Grader Should Know" books by Ed Hirsch.

Currclick has an incredible resource for making sure you're covering what you need to in each grade (it also has internet links you can go to for fun activities/worksheets that cover all the mentioned topics) called Academic Standards and Helps K-6 Bundle. You can find it here:

http://www.currclick.com/product_info.php?products_id=23722&it=1

Well...we don't usually do much elementary science, but my guys have actually fared very well on the science portion of the ITBS. Their social studies scores haven't been as great, but we do history differently than the public schools. (Major focus on world history, not nearly as heavy on American history, at least in the early grades.) We use Modern Curriculum Press Maps, Charts, and Graphs series for the map and graph reading portions on just such tests. It really doesn't teach geography, though. For that, my kids each do 10 minutes a day on Sheppard Software.

I'm not concerned about the gaps. I feel that my boys have an excellent foundation in learning how to learn. We probably do have some gaps, but I also think that some of the things students are tested over is minutia.

Interesting... and it's making me think. I don't think I covered some things on the test very well... we have to test every year starting at age 7! But here's a thought... home school curriculum tends to be quite age appropriate and "life appropriate". People who design homeschool curriculum live in the "real world" and not the artificial public school world where much learning takes place out of context. We teach our children through books and curriculum, but also through "real life". Often times we, as parents, take the lead with our children wanting or needing to know things as opposed to a curriculum that dictates what they should know and when they should know it.

I teach most of what is relevant to my children at this age. Does a 2nd grader REALLY need to know how to read a street map? I do know this was on the 2nd grade test. Ridiculous in my estimation. They don't drive and most 2nd graders don't need to pay attention to where they are going. Mom and Dad drive them. Why do they need to know how to read a street map?

Now, a 13, 14, 15, 16 year old... sure! They are probably more independent. They need to know how to tell friends' moms and dads how to get to their house if necessary. They are getting to the age where they will be driving and will NEED to know how to read a street map. By then they will pick up this skill fast and easy because they will be MOTIVATED by need! :D

That's not the only thing.... many other things on the tests I just wonder why are they on there or why they are there at a certain time?

There are a few things I had to teach just for the test, but for the most part I just let them take the test. If you are teaching your children how to **think** they will often times be able to make a good guess even if they don't know the exact answer.

When my then 5 yo ds was evaluated by the public school system for the speech therapy services I realized they were teaching things I hadn't thought about yet! I felt embarassed at first and then I let it go, implemented what needed to be implemented and I feel confident that when reevaluated next year he will know what he needs to know.

Just for an example, ds was asked, "If your house was on fire who would you call?" DS's answer was, "The fireman." The answer they wanted was, "911." Well, we hadn't covered that yet! They also asked him his address and he didn't know that either.

You can easily cover basics of geography/mapping with a "map skills" book. I bought one for first grade that was less than $6.

We first came across this at my son's private school. There was a girl in his class that was 2 grade levels ahead i Math and she did really bad on the Math portion. Then the mom realized that they were testing her on information she had learnt 2 years ago and she was rusty on it.

What I am doing. Evan Moor daily Math, Geography and Science. We are doing these at his grade level and he does them as his independent work. It takes maybe a half an hour. It just keeps the skills that he will be tested on up to date. They are pretty easy and all correlated to State standards. I buy them from Evan Moor as PDF, so I print as I need, and will do so again with my DD. I am only planning on doing this during testing years, of which 3rd grade is one for us.

Hope that helps (also really good for vacations or days where you have appointments and need to take something with you)

My son did fabulous when he took these tests in grades 3 and 4. He reads constantly. My daughter was just 8 in July (my son had the benefit of 8 more months of time, he was older when he took his 3rd gr test) so she is barely 3rd grade. She is not a voracious reader, and being the second child, she gets a lot less focus than he did. I fear she won't do nearly as well.

I have gotten myself in a tizzy about this. I need to remind myself it doesn't REALLY matter. But I would love for her to have a fighting chance and not feel too discouraged while she is testing. She doesn't seem to naturally adapt well to this type of stuff. My son did.

Isn't this where the rabbit trails and enriching home environment come in? Don't kids learn how to measure things in the normal course of life? Don't they learn how to measure volume when cooking and lengths when building? Don't they learn how to read a map when you plan out trips, look for countries/states/etc on maps, or make treasure maps? Don't they learn about money when they buy things at the store?

I guess I don't worry about finding curriculum to cover life skill topics since they seem to get covered in life experiences.

Isn't this where the rabbit trails and enriching home environment come in? Don't kids learn how to measure things in the normal course of life? Don't they learn how to measure volume when cooking and lengths when building? Don't they learn how to read a map when you plan out trips, look for countries/states/etc on maps, or make treasure maps? Don't they learn about money when they buy things at the store?

I guess I don't worry about finding curriculum to cover life skill topics since they seem to get covered in life experiences.

Well, apparently it is NOT covered enough in my home to help them learn it, because she got most of them wrong. I guess I need to be doing a better job.

Honestly, my feeling is that when my son needs to know those things, he'll learn them. For example, we never spent much time working on map reading skills when he was younger...a couple of years ago he completed his Orienteering merit badge in Scouts (was 11 at the time) and figured out how to read all kinds of maps. He now designs compass courses for fun.

He figured out how to read recipes when he wanted to make chocolate chip cookies and I hadn't purchased any for them...he found a recipe, told me what we needed, and found the necessary kitchen tools. He then made them, asking me when he had questions. Now (at almost 13) he plans and cooks 2-3 meals per week.

I feel that many school currics teach basic skills at too young of an age, much of the time...like someone else said, what 2nd grader really needs to know how to read a road map? A 7th grader, sure...but what 7yo is going to need to plan and navigate a road trip? My honest opinion is that if you teach a skill before the child is ready to internalize it, it won't be meaningful to them - and they'll be less likely to be able to use it when they need it. Just my opinion and experience, though. :)

I took a look at that World Book list. Under 1st grade they have "construct a class newspaper." Really? It's recommended that a 6 or 7 yr old put together a newspaper? Why?

I'll stick with my beloved and well read copy of TWTM. :)

Not an individual student, the entire class. It was part of the careers and community helper theme. Some students were reporters, some were photographers, others editors, etc. Very much a collaborative effort.

Local newspapers used to give free copies of the paper to school for one week a year. The students learned the parts of the newspaper, how a newspaper was made, and some jobs associated with making a paper. I'd be surprised if very many of today's first grade students have seen print newspapers in their homes. I'd also be surprised if the schools are still having elementary school students create old fashioned newspapers. Websites are more likely.

Not an individual student, the entire class. It was part of the careers and community helper theme. Some students were reporters, some were photographers, others editors, etc. Very much a collaborative effort.

This strikes me as one of those things that sounds very impressive but teaches very little. When my dd was in 8th grade, they built model rockets and shot them off for science. They even had some rocketry team from a local university come and help the kids shoot them off. In theory the kids were learning about trajectory and other science-y things. In practice, they spent a week building rockets from soda bottles and two hours standing on the playground in small groups shooting the breeze while other students, two at a time, launched their rockets. I took my little kids to see it. I was less than impressed. Lots of time, little learning.

Tara

This strikes me as one of those things that sounds very impressive but teaches very little. When my dd was in 8th grade, they built model rockets and shot them off for science. They even had some rocketry team from a local university come and help the kids shoot them off. In theory the kids were learning about trajectory and other science-y things. In practice, they spent a week building rockets from soda bottles and two hours standing on the playground in small groups shooting the breeze while other students, two at a time, launched their rockets. I took my little kids to see it. I was less than impressed. Lots of time, little learning.

Tara

Most collaborative projects seem to work that way. :)

I did not say I agreed with the assignment, just what it was. I think that if you feel the need to study the newspaper industry, you could have your children read a book about newspapers or even tour your local paper and learn just as much, if not more. If your children were sufficiently interested, they'd create a newspaper on their own.

We are a military family, so while DD has only lived in 3 cities in her life, we travel a LOT to see family (mine is all in one state, DH's are spread out over 3 states). We've looked at maps regularly since she was about 3, we've discussed cardinal directions and all sorts of other things. Still, DD didn't pick any of it up until she started doing those Evan-Moor worksheets on map skills. She just didn't care, is my feeling. She loves those worksheets, though. Some kids like that stuff and learn better that way. I realize some don't - most maybe? It's weird, because in general my daughter does not love school work and would rather pick things up by discussion, but this particular topic, no way.

I think she's the same about measurement, which we've discussed a lot. She knows that pounds are for weight, cups are volume and inches/feet are length, but that's about it. This thread did prompt me to order the MM blue topic on measurement, though. I didn't really need it, but she already did the first page and loved it. :001_huh: She's a funny kid.

Thanks, gals, you are my lifeline, I feel better already. :-)

I am not switching curriculum, I am very happy with the spiritual development on the homefront, like never before. I am blown away by the way my relationship with my children has grown recently. I know God is blessing what we are doing. I am committed to using what I am using for this year for my son. I just maybe need to add a couple little skill-building things for my daughter. It is probably a matter of me focusing on trying every new thing under the sun instead of focusing on skills my daughter should be learning.

I have to go, but thank you all so much, your help is appreciated! I will reread this later and comment more...

The Scott Foresman reading series has it's workbooks online, and at the end of each story there's a "research and study skills" page, which includes everything from how to use a dictionary to how to read street signs. I've found their teacher resources to be a good addition to our curriculum for those pesky "state test" skills.

http://www.sfreading.com/teachers.html

I also downloaded the state curriculum framework, and just check things off as we do them. In most cases, if we've missed something, it's a matter of a brief conversation or getting a library book, especially in the elementary grades. My DD won't have to test until 3rd grade, and is only in 1st now, but I'd rather go over those little bits here and there than try to cram it in or hope for the best later.

Before you feel behind- look at what you do daily. Some of the terms they use for the basic stuff makes me laugh :001_smile: Anyways- just use it as a jump off point.

This is how I feel when I read our local school district's curriculum standards. It's just a bunch of jargon to say that first graders should count to 100; decode cvc, cvcc, cvce and cvvc words; add without carrying, subtract without borrowing...you know, basic stuff kids learn in first grade. They take 30 pages to describe it, though. :001_huh:

I've found it useful to go through reference books. For example, learning how to read a map -- there's a lot of information about both basic geography AND how to read a map in the front of an atlas. Most dictionaries have a section on how to use them; you probably should practice alphabetizing things and looking up words in the dictionary. I also had my kid use a calendar and discussed days of the week and months of the year, rather than using a set curriculum.

I also realized that some other life skills need practice. For example, how to read a train / bus / airplane schedule to figure out how to get from point A to point B (and in some cases, how much money the ride will cost you). It is good to be able to figure such things out and not be overwhelmed. It has nothing to do with being homeschooled, but just whether you've been exposed to that. You could incorporate this into a lesson with an imaginary trip planning (there's a fantastic story I heard on CD where the man is describing his wonderful 4th grade teacher who didn't use textbooks but spent the year having the kids plan a trip around the world -- "Miss Daisy" by Donald Davis).

Edited by stripe

So I am preparing my kids for our (required) standardized testing. I am amazed at all the things in there that we have never taught. I am beginning to think there are some major skills ignored in much of the curriculum I have used. Take history curricula--I have used MANY. But we have never really taught how to use maps/geography skills. Basic stuff that I somehow ignored or missed. They can tell you all about mapping Egypt, Sumeria, etc, but not basic mapping.(by this I mean, get from here to there, which highways do you use, how many miles is it, go north then east and where do you end up). I am beginning to see why people like Bob Jones and A Beka. At least you know they are getting all those basic skills each year!

In math, I am seeing we haven't covered time, money, graphing, measuring or fractions very much. We are now using TT, so I think this stuff will be covered well.

I am taking the next 2 weeks just to teach all this stuff we missed. I plan to continue reviewing this stuf through the year. It really has me thinking about how I want to approach schooling next year. It isn't that I want to teach to the test, but these are things I really think a 3rd grader SHOULD know.

Has anyone else realized that in their quest for the most exciting, wonderful homeschool curriculum, you are missing some basic stuff? Or is it just me? Maybe I have just picked all the wrong curricula!

I know there are a lot of OTHER neat things about curriculum I have used. But I guess I am just thinking this basic stuff should be included in more curriculum. Just wondering out loud.

Just speaking to the maps issue, we have been doing "geography" as a separate subject. We only do it once a week, but so far that has seemed like plenty. It gets rotated with other once a week subjects like health and typing.

One of the reasons I'm homeschooling is specifically because I have issues with the focus on standardized testing, so I don't worry about those things much.

I found this today on the ACT website. (DS is in public school and his English teacher had a link I was checking out.) I think the error is pretty funny, considering where I found it.;)

• Why are you signing up online?
    • I can type faster than I can write
    • It's easier.
    • I'm online all the time anyway
    • Less bubbles to fill in

Edited by michelle l

Local newspapers used to give free copies of the paper to school for one week a year. The students learned the parts of the newspaper, how a newspaper was made, and some jobs associated with making a paper. I'd be surprised if very many of today's first grade students have seen print newspapers in their homes. I'd also be surprised if the schools are still having elementary school students create old fashioned newspapers. Websites are more likely.

Comment on this. My niece is likely going to be valedictorian this year. For several years at her school some of the classes require the students to keep a blog and comment on others' blogs. They also have to use blogs as part of their research.

I have to say I have not found things to be lacking with my choices. You DO have to be conscious of what you haven't taught and then take steps to introduce it. We've always used the eclectic method, which included textbooks but never a complete curriculum, and none of the things mentioned in the first post stick out as having never been covered and I've taught every grade between K and 12.

Now, if you ask me how my oldest was completely lacking in MANY areas when I pulled her from public school in the 7th grade, then I could go on forever. :glare:

So I am preparing my kids for our (required) standardized testing. I am amazed at all the things in there that we have never taught. I am beginning to think there are some major skills ignored in much of the curriculum I have used. Take history curricula--I have used MANY. But we have never really taught how to use maps/geography skills. Basic stuff that I somehow ignored or missed. They can tell you all about mapping Egypt, Sumeria, etc, but not basic mapping.(by this I mean, get from here to there, which highways do you use, how many miles is it, go north then east and where do you end up).

I have just done this as a part of life. Get a city map, a state map have them learn to use the map, talk about the differnt parts of it. When you take trips hand them the map have them tell you where to go and how to get there.

Not really a map skill but when my boys were really young I use to ask them to tell me how to get home from where ever we were.

Oh and tracking hurricanes. If you dont' live in a hurricane area, get some hurrican tracking maps and do some of that for your kids for the hurricanes.

In math, I am seeing we haven't covered time, money, graphing, measuring or fractions very much.

Again this is easy real life skills. Money give your kids some kind of an allowance or allow them to earn money. When we were doing it when they were really young we also divided the money up in to different pots, there was the TAX-20%, Church tithe-10%, Retirement-10%, 30% long term saving, and 30% spending. When we started at 3 and they got $1.00 a week.

Spending their own money is a great way to learn money. Also when I was younger my mom use to let me play store with some real money. We used the muffin tin for the change.

Same for measuring do some things for real measuring. Anytime we are doing house things we would get the boys to do the measuring.

So many things you don't really need a different curriculum just use life. USe the newspaper articles for graphs and such.

They also have to use blogs as part of their research.

*shudder* Blogs for research? Oh, the horror.

Hopefully they are using it for researching something other than *facts*, such as community views, formatting, writing skills, just something that recognizes blogs aren't generally a great go-to for facts.

:rant:

My oldest took the SAT elementary first grade test this past spring and I really felt he needed more prep to know what to expect. I have him doing several books from Critical Thinking Co. and I think they have been great! They review many concepts he has already been taught, but places them in a different way and makes him think and work. I have always been having him do Evan-Moor mapping since kindergarten. He knows east from west better than left from right! He scored very well on the mapping section of the test.

*shudder* Blogs for research? Oh, the horror.

Hopefully they are using it for researching something other than *facts*, such as community views, formatting, writing skills, just something that recognizes blogs aren't generally a great go-to for facts.

:rant:

There are professors and scientists and such who have blogs, though. ;) So, you can't rule them out completely.