Menu

what are you doing in grade 1?

susankenny

i know this is asked a lot , but what are you using for first grade? i tried to do a search, but couldn't find a thread specific to this question.

also, how well does your first grader write? what do you use specifically to teach writing (and i don't mean penmanship). i ask because my little guy can't write a thing independently (he's still learning to read). i thought this was very normal, but it seems other kids his age write quite well. so now i feel a little worried. we own WWE 1, but i was going to begin that in grade 2. we are using CLE LTR currently, and i'm considering making sentences and spelling words based on what we're learning there. do you think that's a good idea??

thank you!

susan

I believe in keeping 1st grade pretty happy and fun. She writes a sentence sometimes under a picture but uses invented spelling sometimes. I don't think most are composing War and Peace. So...

CLE LTR~this has grammar, phonics and penmanship, she'll start WWE after Christmas.

Rightstart B math and CLE math

History&Science~she's tagging along with her big brother. I use library books to address the same topics at her level. We do weekly nature study.

AO~we're doing year 1 readings as we like

Spanish and PE with co-op

Art-lots and lots crafts/lapbooks/projects

i know this is asked a lot , but what are you using for first grade? i tried to do a search, but couldn't find a thread specific to this question.

also, how well does your first grader write? what do you use specifically to teach writing (and i don't mean penmanship). i ask because my little guy can't write a thing independently (he's still learning to read). i thought this was very normal, but it seems other kids his age write quite well. so now i feel a little worried. we own WWE 1, but i was going to begin that in grade 2. we are using CLE LTR currently, and i'm considering making sentences and spelling words based on what we're learning there. do you think that's a good idea??

thank you!

susan

We are using everything in my siggy and starting FLL1 and SSL next week.

We are using WWE1 for writing. I don't know how well he writes because I don't ask him to do anything beyond his copywork. I'm trusting in the method. He does do his copywork correctly. I think making sentences with his spelling words would a be good idea. We actually did that last year as an enrichment to practice his spelling words. I guess it was just good prep for WWE since it's been smooth sailing so far.

Guest Cindie2dds

Oak Meadow 1 and Ambleside Year 1 complete, bits and pieces of ALGF 1, and Miquon math.

We don't do writing assigments yet, but we do copywork with Ambleside and narrate as part of both OM and AO. I think 6 is very young for writing, and I have an early reader.

We are using:

Math-Singapore/MM/and Miquon

Phonics-PR 1

History- Portraits of American Girlhood (uses American Girls Books), we are nearly finished though and will be starting TOG after that.

Art- Artistic Pursuits

Handwriting-A reason for Handwriting

Science- Apologia Botany

As far as writing, I have her practice writing a sentence or two. She is spelling phonetically as best as she can and the sentences are not always clear, but I have seen improvement by just practicing. She usually writes a sentence about what we read in Science.

thank you!

susan

I think that teaching writing classically means that in the beginning your littles seem behind because you are working on the skills needed to be able to write in the future. In ps the kids are just told, "Write a page about this." There is no emphasis on spelling (in fact, they are encouraged to "creatively" spell) or on correct grammar. The theory there being that practice makes perfect and eventually they will be able to write well because they've been doing it since kindergarten. :glare:

I started to question whether I was doing enough with ds last year because I have a neice the same age and it seemed she was doing so much more than my ds. She was always bringing home creative writing or journal pages. But after looking closely at the quality of work, I came to the realization that ds will become a much stronger writer if we just keep on keeping on the way we are already going, while she will most likely stall out by jr. high. I firmly believe in the principles that SWB lays out in WWE and going into our second year of it, I can already see the benefits. DS is so much farther than I thought he would be when we did WWE 1 last year.

I have a 2nd grader, we used WWE 1 last year, but I think it would be totally appropriate for someone in 2nd if they weren't comfortable with writing. WWE 1 does start out gentle though - with only 4 or 5 word sentences to copy. If your ds can handle a few words, you might think about starting it already and perhaps going 1/2 pace so that it takes 2 years to complete. WWE is one of the subjects my ds has really started enjoying this year - he expecially likes the dictation, which I thought for sure he wouldn't be ready for because we didn't do any spelling curriculum last year.

Lastly, you know your ds better than anyone else. If he is being challenged where he is already, then it would be foolish to add something even harder. No matter what age he is, meet him where he is at. If that means doing WWE 1 in 1st or 4th grade, then that is what you do. Make sure he has work that is challenging, but not too difficult. That's the beauty of homeschooling -- we can customize the education we provide to the child, instead of trying to mold our child to fit the education philosophy.

My first grader is doing:

Grammar: Rod and Staff English 2

Spelling: Spelling by Sound and Structure (R&S 2)

Writing: Primary Lessons in Language and Composition by Maxwell

Reading: a combo of Ambleside and other reading lists

Math: Singapore 1B and Math Mammoth Blue

Science: WTM scope and sequence- we're doing animals right now

History: Story of the World Ancients

French: Le Francais Facile

Art: Artistic Pursuits

My DD is pretty good at writing, I think. She's willing to put pencil to paper and write ~10 sentences at a time. She still spells some words phonetically but is pretty proficient at capitalization and punctuation.

I linked details in the siggy under First Grade Plans.

Even our K students in the public school system are constantly asked to compose and write. So my kids are behind their peers and it does bug me a little but I'm trying to keep a long term perspective. I think the school's push for academics younger and younger is detrimental for those kids not yet ready.

We're doing:

Reading fluency work and phonogram review for now. When I think we're solid in terms of fluency we'll start Phonics Road to Reading and Spelling.

Copywork for handwriting and narrations with chapter books.

MEP and RightStart Math

Literature, Science, History, Art, and Music lessons I based on the Core Knowledge Sequence primarily for topic choices.

Lots of reading and listening to audio stories. I think this is going to serve us well in terms of composition/writing later. When my boys "dictate" stories for me to write they speak from their exposure and the structure is there in their minds. I've got faith that will transfer to their writing in the future.

Karyn Henley Bible materials.

Spanish though it's getting pushed lately.

I linked details in my sig line I think.

Edited by sbgrace

Susan,

Last year my ds did phonics, math, handwriting, Bible and a read aloud (Aesop fables right now).

This year in 2nd grade he is doing phonics, math, handwriting, Bible, read aloud, typing. But he is a delayed reader.

I won't start writing or grammar till he is reading on at least a 2nd grade and preferably a 3rd grade level. Otherwise, to me, it has no meaning if they can't read what they write. I would prefer to do more phonics work instead.

Though FLL would be fine to do, because it is all auditory but ds has an auditory processing problem, so I don't want to go there. They can pick it all up in a short period of time anyway. I didn't do any grammar with my oldest till towards the end of 3rd grade (just in time for her first required test in Oregon) and she tested fine (99% NP total). She didn't have formal writing instruction till 4th grade, and has already written a couple of books in her own time (though she is talker/writer by nature). It was pre-WWE and she could naturally summarize anyway. She just did a couple years of lapbooking the last half of 3rd-half way through 4th, then started CW.

Heather

While my 5 year old is technically a K-er, he does a fair amt of 1st grade work. Every few weeks, I decide if he wants/needs more, and I fold in a new subject. We started with MM1 with Miquon, and lots of reading, and SOTW with his brother. He reads well so I don't worry too much about that. Then he requested a spelling program, so I bought him a simple spelling book for 8 bucks at Barnes and Noble (didn't want to invest a lot if he changed his mind). He's enjoying that so he works at his own pace. He does science lapsbooks along with BFSU and will begin HWT and WWE over the next couple of weeks. I think that's more than enough, and generally, he doesn't do more than 1-2 hrs of formal seatwork a day. If he wants to back off a subject, that's fine. I let him set the pace. Oh, and we do read a lot of books together!

I have what we are doing in my signature below. I am trying to figure out a different spelling program though because I am not getting the thoroughness that I wanted with Spelling Workout. I just wanted to add that my dd doesn't write independently either. We use WWE and I stand right beside her as she doing the copywork to ensure that she is doing everything correctly. She is still learning to read as well and that is our number one focus right now. I am not too concerned about her lack of writing and handwriting skills since she is only still 5. I can also see improvement from one month to the next so I know that it the long run she will be fine.

Edited by sarawatsonim

Everything that we are using for 1st grade is listed in my siggy. She has been doing copywork since K, but she uses letter tiles for it - once she has reached the point in penmanship where she has learned correct letter formation for all the letters, she will move to traditional copywork. She will continue copywork as her only writing instruction until 3rd grade, when we will begin formal writing instruction. On her own she likes to make up sentences on the whiteboard or chalkboard, and she writes about her drawings, on cards that she makes for people, etc., but I don't require her to come up with sentences or paragraphs as a part of her schoolwork.

We're using everything that's in my siggy. DD loves to write and she does a lot of writing on her own. She started with mostly invented spellings, but she's been getting more and more things right thanks to CLE LA 1 and Sequential Spelling. And, she's a really strong reader now. Reading ability and writing ability definitely go together.

Oak Meadow 1 and Ambleside Year 1 complete, bits and pieces of ALGF 1, and Miquon math.

We don't do writing assigments yet, but we do copywork with Ambleside and narrate as part of both OM and AO. I think 6 is very young for writing, and I have an early reader.

I'll be using Oak Meadow when the time comes, too (we're doing OMK this year and will start OM1 next).

We are 2/3 of the way done with Math U See Alpha and will move on to Beta when she's done (probably in January). We are using FLL 1/2 this year, WWE 1, All About Spelling Level 1 (she's currently at Step 14, so we'll probably finish this and start Level 2 before the end of the school year). She's finished Explode the Code, Book 3. I haven't decided if we will move on to Book 4, or skip to Book 5 and come back to Book 4 later (I've heard mixed reviews there!). She uses A Reason for Handwriting, Book A. She's also participating in our history (using Biblioplan, Year 2) and science (Animal Habitats from Winterpromise). We "plan" on doing Spanish through Discovery Learning, but have had a hard time fitting it into our busy schedule!

Edited to add: We're also doing a read aloud each day (currently doing Little House in the Big Woods) and we're reading a chapter a day in the Vos Story Bible.

Anna is accelerated in math and reading, and probably a bit behind in writing.

We're using:

She reads aloud to me (alternate novels like By the Shores of Silver Lake, which we are doing now), and Christian Liberty Nature Readers. We occasionally do timed fluency readings.

She does reading comprehension. Right now we're going through Headsprout level 2, but we rotate through units of Rod and Staff Bible readers, and reading and answering questions about novels.

Handwriting - A Reason for Handwriting

Spelling - All About Spelling Level 1

Grammar - First Language Lessons (sort of hoping to get thru 1st and 2nd

grades this year). Doing Daily Grams (from Easy Grammar) a few

times a week.

Writing - Writing with Ease Level 1. I should probably have her doing some

independent writing, but it's a struggle and I'm trusting Susan Wise

Bauer on this one.

Math - Right Start C as our spine. Supplement with Horizons grade 2 and

Challenging Word Problems 1.

Science - bit of a hodge podge of biology, but using Mr. Q Life Science to a

large extent. Lots of library books and First Encyclopedia of Nature

and Animals.

History - hodge podge, working through American history survey. Make

some use of Pioneers and Patriots and Living History (Queen

homeschool).

Geography - Montessori map puzzles and Sheppherd's Software games.

I'm reading aloud from Child's Geography of the World and various

books about different countries. We also do Daily Geography 2 for

map skills.

Spanish - Salsa

Memory Work - poetry, Bible verses, working on learning pertinent facts like

phone numbers.

We go to Classical Conversations, but it's largely for social purposes. We listen to the CD in the car sometimes, and I will pick certain things to focus on. We're learning the pronouns right now, but I don't make any attempt to do everything, or even most things.

She takes piano lessons and we sing a lot. Grandma does drawing with her and we talk about famous artists and paintings. She does various pe type activities (soccer, ballet, swimming). She goes to church and religious education. She plays outside, although not as much as I'd like. I'd like to incorporate Perceptual Motor Skills, but I don't know that that will happen.

I read aloud a lot, and I try to read a variety of things. We read MANY high quality picture books. I read Egermiers Bible Stories, and novels. I look frequently at the Sonlight lists and pick from there, along with other novels. I am reading through Grimm's fairy tales. I read a lot of nonfiction: science, history, geography. I read folk tales from various countries around the world. I read nursery rhymes and poetry.

She reads on her own, usually before bed and usually twaddle at the moment, but I'm just letting her go with it.

It's a pretty academic schedule, but she will be 7 in November and she handles it pretty well. My five year old will not be anywhere near that level next year. She turns 6 at the end of April, but we might wait and let her do first grade at seven. We'll see.

Thanks Everyone!! Great to see what everyone else is doing. I definitely feel better now:D.

We really like WWE1 and I wouldn't wait till 2nd grade because its very simple and designed for 1st grade level.

Yes, I agree that WWE 1 is simple, but based on experience with my 9 year old, I think I prefer WWE 2 for 3rd (alongside Writing Strands and personal creative writing choices). My son does do copywork daily, but I *think* waiting for WWE 1 for grade 2 might work best for him. Maybe we'll start after Christmas and work at a slower pace though...I like that idea someone suggested too.

We're not totally classical in our approach, but here's what we're doing currently...

MEP and some Miquon for math as well as lots of games

Some ETC and lots of actual books for reading as well as some more games

Handwriting Without Tears for handwriting

a plan of my own devising for science (we're studying physical science)

SOTW2 for history - but in a loose way - we're not doing the narrations, for example

The kids also take art and music outside the home. And we have two co-ops that each do what could best be described as unit studies. And we do some other stuff, like a daily vocabulary word and a daily art picture.

For writing, we do some of the games in Peggy Kaye's Games for Writing. One of our favorites is a pass back and forth story. I write a little, then they roll a dice and have to write however many words the dice says before passing it back where I add a little more. I also make them write anything they might need to in real life, such as the thank notes from their birthday. They often write labels or things on their pictures.

There was a thread about this exact subject not that long ago. Some first graders are ready to write little stories, but most aren't and the amount of adult involvement it requires is just a silly use of teacher time in a huge class, IMHO. I also think if kids are required to get too much help with writing too early, it makes them think it's not something they even should be able to do alone.

We use Rod and Staff 1st grade curric. It covers math, language arts: phonics, reading, spelling, penmanship, and music. She attends a co-op for an additional music class, P.E. and some fun classes.

For history we use Story of the World vol. 3 this year, and she is following her sister's science rotation. This year is it is chemistry. And we have started Prima Latina this year.

For writing, she has pen pals and family that she writes letters and thank you cards to. She narrates to me on history and science on a regular basis. She will begin to have more copywork as the year progresses across the curriculum.

There is not a big focus on creative writing in the early years if you are following the WTM model. Have you read the grammar section on this? It could really put your mind at ease.

1st Grade Schedule:

Math: Saxon 1 & MEP 1

Reading: trying to find challenging, appropriate books (right now: Laura Ingalls Wilder)

Spelling: SWO B

Grammar: FLL 1

Narration: from whatever she is reading (she does well with that) and from read-alouds (when I read to her, she struggles more w/narration)

History: CHOW (I read aloud at breakfast table)

Writing: 3x/week: from FLL and whatever scripture she is memorizing; Writes in Math & spelling daily

Not sure if this makes me slack (probably) but what we are focusing on right now is spacing - I should probably add more writing soon...

Even though you've received such great feedback and answers, I thought I'd share how my first grader is with independent writing. He really has no interest in it yet. He does copywork every day, but I still write out his narration for his drawings. I will occasionally receive a little note from him like "can i plae the wii." That's as far as his writing goes. :)

I identified with your experience comparing at AWANA. I keep catching myself feeling anxious about how my son compares to his buddies in his Sunday School class. Then I add more worry to that anxiety because we are the only homeschooling family there. Then I get back on these forums and feel much better! Hope that's helpful!

If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend SWB's lecture A Plan for Teaching Writing: the Elementary Grades. I have found it enormously helpful in figuring out what my expectations should be. I think someone else posted that the lectures are on sale at peace hill press through tomorrow.

What we use/d (transitioning to second grade work):

Math: Right Start B, Miquon Orange & Red, MEP1 (Miquon and MEP as supplements)

LA: Dancing Bears Reading, WWE1, Zaner-Bloser Manuscript

Science: Sonlight Science 1

History: SOTW Ancient Times w/AG

Extras: Atelier Art, La Clase Divertida, Bastien Piano Basics

As far as writing goes, we're nearly done with WWE1, but I feel that WWE2 is too big a jump to go right into, so we will be doing Oak Meadow 2nd grade instead. It seems to bridge the gap between levels 1 and 2, and will pick WWE2 once that is done. Ariel doesn't write a whole lot on her own, but she'll narrate a story without a problem. She mostly likes to label pictures she draws, and write a short sentence like "I love you Daddy." (She can finally spell Daddy instead of Dade.)

Edited by Aurelia

Our tentative plan is:

Math: Singapore Math STD ED, MM supplements, CWP

LA: Aesops language and Thinking For Children from RFWP, Madlibs

Writing: Writeshop Primary A

Spelling: AAS

Science: RSO Life 1

History: HO Ancients lvl 1

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Philosophy: Philosophy fro children by RFWP

Latin: SSL

Japanese: Rosetta Stone

Phonics: Either finishing up Dancing Bears or going into Master Reader

Music: Bastien Piano

Handwriting: HWOT

We are using:

Math: BJU1

Phonics: Pathway Readers Learning Through Sounds

Reading/Vocabulary: Pathway Readers and Workbooks

Grammar: First Language Lessons (also has copywork as you know)

History and Science: WinterPromise Hideaways in History (over 2 years) and Younger Learner Guide resources for WinterPromise Adventures in the Sea and Sky (over 2 years)

Handwriting: Pentime Grade 1 Book 2

He is a YOUNG first grader (just turned 6) and is reading, but not fluent. He panics over writing and his pencil grip isn't quite right (working on that). I have a book called Write About Me, but I don't want to get it out just yet.

Yes, I agree that WWE 1 is simple, but based on experience with my 9 year old, I think I prefer WWE 2 for 3rd (alongside Writing Strands and personal creative writing choices). My son does do copywork daily, but I *think* waiting for WWE 1 for grade 2 might work best for him. Maybe we'll start after Christmas and work at a slower pace though...I like that idea someone suggested too.

This makes me feel a little better about putting WWE away for awhile. My twins are very young 1st grade (summer bday and born 2 months premature) and I read about what others are doing for 1st and feel like they are behind. Their handwriting just isn't there yet for WWE. It is very close but they got frustrated with WWE and I'm guessing by Christmas time I can pull it back out again. We likely wouldn't finish it until halfway through 2nd grade that way. They do some copywork which is fairly short.

I use a hodge podge of stuff. I have a ton leftover from my older girls. Right now we are doing MFW K mainly for the phonics stuff with the read alouds and the occasional science project. I do one FIAR book about every 2 weeks and we are slowly doing SOTW 1. It will probably take 1.5 years for SOTW 1 at our pace but that's okay. They also do Rightstart B (ds loves worksheets and does MM as well). Other things we use are FLL 1, Get Set for the Code (just about done with those), HWT Kindergarten book, and Elemental Science Intro to Science.

My 1st grader is doing:

OPGTR- daily

Explode the Code- daily

First Language Lessons - 1 to 2 times a week

Abeka Math 1- daily

Science- 1 to 2 times a week

History- 1 to 2 times a week

Handwriting Practice - 1 to 2 times a week

Read Alouds and books on tape - daily

We are using OPGTR and will start with SWO and plaid phonics once we hit the mid-point, FLL 1, WWE 1, Horizons math K (which he is moving very fast through) and then 1, Sonlight core K and science K as well as unit studies for science with the older kids and nature study. HWOT for penmanship, and I think that is about it.

He has really struggled with learning to read, only just recently starting to put sounds together but it is slow going. Writing we are strictly doing narrations and copywork, and working through HWOT Kindy for penmanship. He is coming along but again this was an area he has struggled in.

His favorite subjects at this point are science and math and I know if he could toss LA away for the rest of his life he happily would.

My 1st grader is doing:

Primary Phonics for reading and spelling

WWE 1 for writing

BJU Math 1

Daily Handwriting Practice

IEW's poetry memory program

She also joins the 3rd and 5th grader for SOTW 2, Read-aloud, Zoology I (Apologia) and they join her for my very laid-back version of 5 in a row.

My 1st grader does the following:

Catherine Vos' Child's Story Bible

Phonics Road 1

Horizons Math 1

Story of the World 1

We are just starting SOTW this week (yay!). Before that, we did Apologia Exploring Creation with Astronomy from June to early October (I didn't want to do history and science at the same time).

She has a weekly art lesson with her grandmother, who is using Artistic Pursuits.

I don't have any advice/experience for the writing question though!

We are after-schooling and using:

Miquon Red and Blue

Primary Mathematics (Singapore) 2A SE and 2A IPs and CWP

MEP Math 2A

Right Start Games

ETC 5

Lots of books.

Reading very strong. Reading Magic Tree House books aloud in 1 or 2 sittings. Purchased the Diary of a Wimpy Kid today at book-fair and read a fair portion already. He loves it, I'm not so sure (at my age, but would have liked it at his :D)

Writing mixed. Neat handwriting (usually) and can write on his own when inspired with decent (but imperfect) spelling. Can occasionally go *blank* on writing assignment homework. It's the age :lol:

Bill

Bill

Year 1 Curriculum

Language Arts

Phonics - Spelling

· The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading

· Modern Curriculum Press Spelling Workout series - Spelling Workout A

Writing

· Zanar-Bloser Handwriting Series - Grade K, 1

· Writing with Ease: Strong Fundamentals, Level 1 Workbook

Grammar

· First Language Lessons of the Well Trained Mind: Level 1

Reading

· Homer

· Greek and Roman Myths

· Aesop's Fables

· Plato

· Aristotle

· Egyptian Myths

· Indian Folktales

· Confucius

· Chinese Folktales

· Ancient Chinese Poetry

· Cicero

· Virgil

· English, Irish, and Welsh Fairy Tales

· Brothers Grim

History & Geography

History

· The Story of the World: Ancient Times - Vol. 1

· The Story of the World: Ancient Times - Vol. 1 Workbook

Biographies

· Cheops, Pharaoh of Egypt (2600 - 2675 B.C.)

· Hammurabi (1750 B.C.)

· Queen Hatshepsut of Egypt (1480 B.C.)

· Tutankhamen (1355 B.C.)

· Homer (800 B.C)

· Romulus (753 - 716 B.C.)

· Sennacherib (705 - 681 B.C.)

· Lao-tse (604 B.C. Chinese Philosopher)

· Pythagoras (581 - 497 B.C.)

· Confucius (Kung Fu-Tzu) (551 - 479 B.C.)

· Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama) (550 - 480 B.C.)

· Socrates (470 - 399 B.C.)

· Plato (427 - 347 B.C.)

· Aristotle (384 - 322 B.C.)

· Alexander the Great (356 - 323 B.C.)

· Hannibal (218 - 207 B.C.)

· Cicero (106 - 43 B.C.)

· Julius Caesar (100 - 44 B.C.)

· Virgil (70 - 19 B.C.)

· Caesar Augustus (45 B.C. - A.D. 14)

· Jesus Christ (4B.C. - A.D.33)

Geography

· Blackline Maps of the Ancients

Math

· Saxon Math Homeschooling Kit

Science

Animal Kingdom

· DK First Animal Encyclopedia

Biology

· The Kingfisher First Human Body Encyclopedia

· Biology of Chinese Medicine

Plant Kingdom

· Green Thumbs: A kids Activity Guide to Indoor and Outdoor Gardening

Nature

· Familiar Trees of North America: Eastern Region

Art

Art Techniques, Elements, &

Drawing with Children

· Artistic Pursuits K - 3 Level 1

Great Artists

· Getting to know the World's Great Artists

Music

· Classical Artists of the Ancients

· Musical Instruments of the Ancients

· Piano - John Thompsons Modern Course for the Piano

Physical Education

· Nature Walks ( This also ties in with Science - Learning the Trees)

· Kung Fu

Spiritual - Religious

· Qi Gong

· Meditation

· Introduction to Religion's in conjunction with History

Battle Tactics, Weapons, and Defense

· Sun Tzu Art of War

· Archery, Swordplay, and Siege Construction

· Castle, Keep, and Fortress Construction and Defense

Memorization - Relating to Ancient History

· Egyptian Gods and Goddesses

· Pharaohs

· Greek Gods and Goddesses

· Roman Emperor's

· Chinese Kings & Emperors

· Wars & Battles

· Natural Disasters

· Discoveries - Intellectual & Technological

· Philosophers

· Hero's

This was my baseline for year 1 - I started with the WTM and the items I wanted them to Memorize.

Phonics Road 1

Math Mammoth 1

AAS 1

Explode the Code Online

Story of the World 1

Lots of books tied in with SOTW 1 as well as lots of picture books

Later this year we will add Singapore Science (the set of four early books).

ETA: We are also using IEW's poetry memorization, Alfred's basic music theory workbooks, Son School Latin, and the Core Knowledge Foundation's songbook. All of my kids are doing these together.

Edited by Veritaserum

I didn't read all the posts, but after having a first grader in public school last year, I can tell you they were made to write in journals every day, but I don't think there was any form of writing instruction, except that sentences begin with a capital letter and end with a period.

I have a first and second grader this year, and I'm doing FLL with both of them. We are using Phonics Pathways as a refresher (both of mine are reading well) and as a base for spelling lists. I make up the spelling lists based on PP. DS2nd is a much better speller, so I give him more difficult words.

The only writing they do so far is copywork. We will start more next year. This year both of mine still really need to work on handwriting.

They do copywork in history and science as well.

Darn! I feel so inadequate.:001_huh: I haven't even mastered this list.

I'm inspired! What a blessed child to be surrounded by such rich resources! :001_smile:

Zann, keep up the great work and let us know how your year progresses.

I love reading about what other firsties are working on. Yay, homeschooling!

Every day we do:

2 pages in ETC2

A Reason for Handwriting A

All About Spelling (10 min)

Bible story

Singapore Math 2A and 2B (30 min)

Read out of Magic Treehouse Book or Primary Phonics Readers (10-15 minutes)

And then two to three days each week:

SOTW with older brother

Science -- read on a topic and create fact sheets, books....

Practice Awana verses

He also has swimming lessons, gymtime and music theory class once a week, as well as Awana.

I'm using Trail Guide to Learning's Paths of Exploration this year. My dd needed something more challenging so I decided to purchase the Middle School supplement and have all three girls work through Paths of Exploration. We've just started, but all three girls are enjoying it. DD6 (nearly 7) is really just excited to actually be working with her sisters rather than sitting in. :)

My first grader also does math, Latin, phonics, literature, memory work and typing daily and is in gymnastics and soccer.

Our daughter got a great head start in Montessori so the math and language is pretty much review for thoroughness. Our overall focus is Math and Language first, everything else is secondary.

Math: Singapore 1 (w/ IP & CWP) - favorite topic of wife and child

Language: WWE I / FLL I / SWO B - love the thoroughness of WWE and FLL. My daughter loves puzzles and looks forward to SWO. I'm not sold on SWO; when she stops getting 100% on pretests (i.e., when she overtakes what was learned in Montessori and reading), we may drop or switch. No formal reading program, but she has to read chapter books out loud 10 minutes a day, plus does a ton of reading on her own.

History: History Odyssey I - SotW is the only book my wife has given up on, so I read it at bedtime one night a week. History Pockets is a flop but we are using it now anyways. This topic requires the most legwork to keep it engaging; thanks to those who have published lists of supplementary material.

Science: RSO Life Science - Second favorite topic of wife and child. My daughter also reads a ton of supplementary material such as magazines.

Music: Informal exposure to classical music and instruments. Piano lessons using Piano Adventures Primer Level (I'm teaching, and while I love the system, it seems overly gradual; I imagine as a kid I was probably dropped in the deep end).

Civics: Informal exposure, currently to patriotic songs, which we incorporate into memory work.

Art: Child Size Masterpieces, lots of supplementary work, painting class at the local cultural center.

Handwriting: HWT Cursive

Phys Ed: Martial Arts class, multiple walk/bike trips daily

DD is reading very well. We just finished OPGTR, though the whole thing was pretty much review.

Main Curriculum: Oak Meadow 1

Other Language Arts: HWT 1, WWE 1 (continued from last spring), AAS 2

Other Math: Singapore PM 1A & 1B

Other Science: BFSU

Languages: Song School Latin & La Clase Divertida 1

Faith Formation: various resources

As far as writing goes, dd mostly does copywork. She is capable of doing some other writing, but usually is not motivated enough to do it. It requires her to really concentrate! She does have a pen pal, but I help her with spelling and grammar while she writes.

Susan,

Last year my ds did phonics, math, handwriting, Bible and a read aloud (Aesop fables right now).

This year in 2nd grade he is doing phonics, math, handwriting, Bible, read aloud, typing. But he is a delayed reader.

I won't start writing or grammar till he is reading on at least a 2nd grade and preferably a 3rd grade level. Otherwise, to me, it has no meaning if they can't read what they write. I would prefer to do more phonics work instead.

Though FLL would be fine to do, because it is all auditory but ds has an auditory processing problem, so I don't want to go there. They can pick it all up in a short period of time anyway. I didn't do any grammar with my oldest till towards the end of 3rd grade (just in time for her first required test in Oregon) and she tested fine (99% NP total). She didn't have formal writing instruction till 4th grade, and has already written a couple of books in her own time (though she is talker/writer by nature). It was pre-WWE and she could naturally summarize anyway. She just did a couple years of lapbooking the last half of 3rd-half way through 4th, then started CW.

Heather

I wanted to add that ds is in the room while I read science and history to the whole group, he bounces in my exercise ball while I read. That is about 30 mins tops per day. He often ops out of our family reading time, mostly because dh is a visual guy and can't focus on the book while ds is bouncing around. If ds can't bounce there he goes where he can. :D

His roomy, my 3rd dd just summarizes the story for him each night. Schooling without the school, don't you love it!

Heather

We use:

MEP Year 2 for math, plus supplementary money and time resources and lots of games. She also has a math facts drill game for her DS that I have her do a few minutes a day for extra practice.

REAL Science Odyssey (Life science)

SOTW 1

Language arts are probably where we're most all over the place. I use the grammar portions of FLL (skipping a lot of repetition) with worksheets for practice, she does daily copywork that I devised myself, memory work that I've pulled from all subjects, occasional dictation I take from whatever books we're reading at the moment, and we have a literature line-up that's also self-devised - both for her independent reading (she's ahead in that area) and read-alouds. I've actually been slacking on the read-alouds because of my obnoxious toddler who disrupts constantly and feeling guilty about it...better get back on track!

My daughter also loves to read poetry so we do a lot of that and we've been discussing different poetic devices as we go.

We're also doing introductory French vocab that I put together myself, but she seems to really love it and want to go faster so I may get an actual program to continue with.

She does art with dh, and takes ballet and drama classes.

As for writing...she writes her own narrations for history and such. While she's mastered the mechanics of it all for the most part, I find where she needs help is putting her thoughts in order. She's really strong in reading and writing, though - I wouldn't expect most 6yos to do as much. Independent writing happens occasionally when she's inspired or when I need to come up with something for her to do to keep her out of my hair and quiet for a few minutes. ;)