Menu

How do you budget for your curriculum

How do you budget for your curriculum  

1. 1. How do you budget for your curriculum

• Have set amount at beginning of year & spend no more
    • Put aside specific amount each month to be spent
    • Have set amount at beginning then a set amount for each month as things come up
    • Have a set amount for each subject area & try to buy curriculum under that price
    • I don't budget- I just buy and buy and buy
    • Other- please explain!

It's time that I start purchasing my curriculum for next year but I need to get a better grip on my spending. I would really like to hear what you do.

Also, how do you prioritize what you buy? With multiple grades- what gets purchased first and for who?

TIA. I need some advice!!

I window shop and project about how much will be needed each year. We divide that amount by 12 and set aside that amount each month (ending in March or so since I always buy early).

I also babysit and spend a lot of that income (a pittance) on homeschool luxuries. That is how I will finance our "God Made Music 2" this year.

I voted buy, buy, buy, but let me explain. It took a while to find curricula that worked for ds. We tried a LOT of stuff before we found our groove. I did feel guilty about that last year but then I realized it's part of the initial start-up cost of hsing. Newbies really shouldn't feel guilty when it takes a few tries to get it right. It would be nice to be able to read the Rainbow Resource catalog and get a perfect fit, but that's not reality.

Now that we've been at hsing for 2 years, I'm able to budget more accurately for what we'll need next school year. So now I can buy one order from Rod and Staff, one from RR and one from Winterpromise and be done. That's a great feeling, but it took a while to get here.

I had to choose "other" because I don't have a specific amount budgeted for curriculum but I don't "buy, and buy, and buy" either. I buy what we need when we need it. I use the library a lot and I don't spend money on curricula that isn't really necessary.

Susan in TX

This is my system as well.

I space it out, but not by a budget officially, extra money does not get automatically funneled into hs. I don't spend much on curriculum all at once as we YA, nothing seems to end all together. The benefit is I can get a subject/subjects ordered w/in budget gradually. Several specific curriculum have been purchased that will work for a period of years(or at least supposed too:001_huh:). I also have been adding to our library in prep for upcoming years and to allow me to get a jump on things when time permits.

I do seem to spend and spend at times, but there is method to my madness.:D

I wait anxiously for our tax return, by which point I've already researched and made a list and changed it about 100 times first. This wish list keeps me happy until the next year when I can buy more books, since I get to fantasize and change my mind over and over until I know for sure what we're going to use!

. . . I never really have a "set amount," but I do buy in one big batch before the beginning of each year.

What I do is just research what I feel we need for the coming year, look for the absolute best price, see if there is anything I can cut or live without, then buy what we need.

In general, I try to keep to only an incremental increase over whatever we spent the year before. (And spending less is always a goal!)

I have only one at home currently. When I did have two in different grades, though, I guess I tended to give some priority to the older one, figuring that we both needed more structure to cope with more advanced material.

We usually use our tax return but not this year. Anything not covered by taxes is usually small and bought when I have extra cash. I well order a couple of time a year from CBD and usually wait for free shipping with $35. or do the Amazon $25. with free shipping deal.

My ds is hsing and her kids are a couple of years ahead of mine and she passes on a lot stuff to us. So all the science and math for next is free this year as will be Spanish and history soon as her kids finish up. That leaves me buying English stuff and extra reading materials. This is the first time it has worked out likethis and it sure is nice because we had to use the Tax money for bills.

I chose "other" because I don't budget, but I also don't just buy, and buy, and buy, either. We've only been doing this for two years, but our pattern so far has been to make a large purchase sometime in the late spring or early summer, usually using tax return money. Prior to making this purchase I do a lot of reading, researching, and thinking until I have compiled a list of the curriculum and main resources we want to use for the upcoming year. I order our curriculum online.

In the late summer/early fall we make a medium-sized purchase of supplies that we can just pick up at Target (e.g. pencils, glue, paper, markers, paints, etc.)

And throughout the year we buy additional items as we need them. For example, dd flew through the first level of spelling, so we had to purchase a second spelling book in the fall, and and then a third one in the spring. She was getting bored with print and wanted to try cursive, so I ordered a cursive workbook. Sometimes we'll need something for art or science, usually just something that can be found at the grocery store. And recently I decided that the only way we were going to make it through SOTW was to get the audiobook version, so I ordered them. Usually, these purchases are somewhat spread out and don't cost a huge amount of money.

how we do it is this:

1. We buy new curriculum for history, science, etc. when we are starting to finish up the previous curriculum.

2. We buy when we need it--I always try to buy used to save money!

3. We use what we have, so, as of this year, I'm in a position where I only have to buy the "consumables" for 2 dc each year. That is where I'm saving money so I can buy some fun stuff later.

...because I don't just buy, buy, buy; but I don't really budget either. I do research on various curriculums, choose what I think is best for my kids (after three years, this part has gotten a lot easier as we've tried and discarded), and then look for the best deal.

We generally have a big purchase sometime between may-june of the books, and another big purchase of binders, pencils, paper,art supplies, etc in august.

I had to choose "other" because I don't have a specific amount budgeted for curriculum but I don't "buy, and buy, and buy" either. I buy what we need when we need it. I use the library a lot and I don't spend money on curricula that isn't really necessary.

This is the system we're ending up with. :iagree:

Susan in TX

Same here. :001_smile:

I voted other because I figure out what I need for the next year and make a tentative budget from there. Next I research, research, and research, to try to make sure it's what will suit out family best and try to get the best deal I can. So, I do budget, but I don't have a set amount each year because each and every year is different as to what I need.

I buy as needed, but I don't buy a lot. I research a lot (to death actually).

My dh has always said that he would rather give up in other areas than skimp on education. Having said that, I show him everything I purchase as a sort of check and balance for myself.

I lean towards the frugal side naturally, but if I see something that I think will really add to our pursuit of knowledge- I buy it.

Jo

I'm terrible at budgeting in general, and we tend to live paycheck-to-paycheck. (I don't recommend this to anyone!) Pretty much I pay the bills, and then we spend what is left until it's gone. So I just make sure that homeschooling stuff is part of what the money gets spent on before it's gone.

Boy, I need a better plan . . . :D

I voted other. I'll buy/sell a few things throughout the year on the sale/swap board, homeschoolclassifieds.com, etc., but the majority is purchased April-June at local used curriculum sales and our homeschool conference.

Jerriann

This is me exactly - I get what we need when we need it (we school year round so we never end up finishing everything at once and buying all for a year) but I try to buy used, borrow from friends and use the library a ton.

At this point my dh and I have decided on about $600 per year per child for curriculum so since I'm only officially schooling 2 at the moment I get $1200 from our tax refund which goes into a separate checking account I have with a Visa check card that is only for school purchases. I use that to buy all our curriculum and use it for the supplies like pencils, paper, glue etc. as well as for field trips and books the kids want from the book store. This has worked really well for us and the amount will increase in another year or so as my youngest gets old enough to need more than a simple workbook from walmart etc. I also sell any curriculum we don't need anymore or that didn't work for us and that money goes into the account so we have it if we need it for something else.

Now that I know what curricula I plan to use long term I know how much it is going to be. I start by looking on sale and swap boards and find as much as possible used. I usually use our income tax refund to buy for each year. Usually that is enough. My mother has also agreed to help buy books so whatever I can't afford she buys.

I'm another non-budgeting non-buy and buyer!

I decide what curriculum we will be using, and we buy it, usually in the spring. Some things (like SOTW) we have scheduled out and those are used for one school year. In most areas (soon to be 2 ds's) moves at his own pace, so when something is finished, I get the next level. That may or may not be at the actual "year" break.

Thus far we haven't had too many mid-year curriculum shifts (one this year--from LC I to Minimus).

Supplies (pens, paper, etc) are always bought as needed out of our household budget.

I buy as needed, but I don't buy a lot. I research a lot (to death actually).

I lean towards the frugal side naturally, but if I see something that I think will really add to our pursuit of knowledge- I buy it.

Jo

This is what we do... Except I buy with the tax return...usually. This year it all went to the credit card. :crying:

I had to vote "other" since this is my first year of hs and we are still finding what works for us. While I don't have a budget I also don't just go out and buy for the sake of buying, but have researched what is out there and buy when the need arises. Fortunately, this board has been a wonderful source of information and guidance.

I said that I have a set yearly budget but also have money set aside for things that come up during any given month, but maybe I should have said "other."

We have educational funds that we've been putting money into ever since the kids were babies and we use those funds for curriculum each year. I try to have a set amount in my mind of what I want to spend and try to spend no more than that. But, things do come up, or something doesn't work for us and I'll buy something different.

Since finding this board, I've actually been able to sell curriculum we're done with, and with THAT money, I've bought quite a bit of what I want to use next year. Bonus! I like to try to see if I can spend "less" each year instead of more! :)

We also budget the kids extra curricular's monthly. They do ballet, piano, guitar, and taekwondo.

I don't feel I am particularly a curriculum junkie any more, however I still tend to buy curriculum through the year rather than all at one time. It's usually only our math program that we start at the beginning of each year, and may be one or two other things. The rest kind of flow on.

I chose other.... I save about $400.00- $600 from Taxes, I also sell things I have and don’t use anymore and can now part with. I used to hold on to everything... because by golly.. I might need it. *Ãœ*

I also find things at Good will and other thrift stores and sell it at a used curriculum sale I organize for our County... on average I earn between $250 and $300 believe it or not....

I have a set amount we budget each month for homeschool extras during that month (field trip, project supplies, etc.) Curriculum is purchased as needed with any of the monthly money that is leftover (it's not usually much!!); but I odn't limit those purchases to just that budget. I did really well this year (only $250 for next year) BUT I am going to the homeschool convention in Atlanta in July..........

Sorry if this is a repeat. This year we decided to have our monthly budget put away in an ING account. It collects interest and sits there to be removed in the spring when I buy things for next year. We guess on how much we will need and divid by 12. ING is really easy to set up (at least DH made it look easy) and the interest rate was about 3 %. We are also thinking of it like a *small* emergency fund. I am not very bright when it comes to budgeting so I felt really pleased when we came up with that one. :tongue_smilie:

We buy with income tax return every year, and thus our year flips in February. (This works well for us, since we take off the three months between October and January instead of summers. Well, not OFF, but slow down.)

I have set things I want to get, and try to find the lowest price for those items. After that, we generally size up what we can spend on "supplementals" based on the total return and what else we need/want to pay with that money.

Susan in TX

Same here. I may start out the year with a ballpark figure but it's rarely "right" and so I buy when and if we need something.

I purchase everything for the year the day our tax return is deposited. I plan all year long, making spread sheets with links to where I want to purchase each item from...by time the money is put in our bank, all I have to do is pull the trigger. I spend it so quick, that two years in a row, the bank has called during my spending spree to make sure someone has not stolen my card :) I then start planning for the next year.

I don't have any help on getting a handle on spending. The last 3 years we have spent about $1500. Because I buy when I have money, I buy what I want right then, because I know if I wait, chances are we won't have the money later. I also buy most things for my older DD, because I try to pass stuff down to the other two. I already have most everything planned out for next Feb...but history has shown that by Feb, I will have changed things multiple times. Like a couple of other people who have posted, our year changes in Feb/March...this works well for us.

I don't have a budget. To be honest, I don't even know what I spend each year.

But, I don't buy and buy and buy. That would be irresponsible. :)

I research in advance, I buy what I need, and then I stop researching. I stick with what I have, and don't switch. I'm in my 8th year homeschooling, and I've rarely felt regret over anything I've bought. There have been very few things we didn't use (mostly supplemental things).

I take that back. In the beginning, I did go a little crazy with math manipulatives. But, that was a long time ago, so it doesn't count. :)

Anyway, you need a category for "I don't budget. I just buy what I need"

I like to spend some time with curriculum and I like to combine publishers as well. I am fortunate to have a hs store about 30 min from my house that sells used items. I can get most items in like new condition for about 1/2 price but I never know when I will see them. I don't always know what I am going to use the next few years so if I see something by a publisher I like (ie Apologia) then I will buy it, whether or not I figure I will use it. Then over time, when I decide that I don't like an item, am done using something, or am not going to use it anymore, I will sell it for what I paid for it.

My friends joke that I have a homeschool store in my classroom!

I also like to be able to share my curriculum with new or struggling homeschool moms. I am part of a ps program for homeschoolers and I meet a lot of moms who get sucked into the public school/ homeschool curriculum and classes right from the beginning. I like to bring in materials and show them what else is out there. I also help hs moms who have a child who is not responding well to a curriculum. We will sit and chat about the child's likes/don't likes and then I will bring in a stack of curriculum for the mom to look at. Then I let them borrow a couple of programs for a few weeks to try it and let them get a real feel for the program. I have had so many moms thank me profusely for turning them onto a program that they didn't know even existed! It is so hard for moms when they are first starting out, that it is like I provide a mini mentoring partnership for a month or so, and then they are off and running again. I have a bit of a reputation now, so I get "referred" to other families now by moms I have helped in the past. :D