Menu

Pumpkin Pie

Oh Amber. It was a matter of Australian pride. <insert melodramatic smilie>

I was challenged, and made the mistake of admitting that I had never eaten one, but would if someone would provide a vegan recipe. Not only was one provided, but it was even soy free. What could I do, but rise to the challenge?

!!

Rosie

I was challenged, and made the mistake of admitting that I had never eaten one, but would if someone would provide a vegan recipe. Not only was one provided, but it was even soy free. What could I do, but rise to the challenge?

!!

Rosie

:lol::svengo:

Hang on! Burnt butter icing?

Oh, things go from bad to worse. Burn butter, add sugar and tell me this is a delicacy? I just can't handle it.

:svengo:

:D

It gives it a toffee flavor. You melt a stick of butter and let it heat until it's a golden brown. Put in a bunch of confectioner's sugar, some milk, and it's really good. I wouldn't call it a delicacy :tongue_smilie:, but it is a nice change from regular frosting.

!!

Rosie

Well, see, the problem was the whole vegan thing!

Pumpkin pie... Yum!!! :D

!!

Rosie

Whew! Then you didn't really have real Pumpkin Pie. You had mashed pumpkin with some spices. NOT the same the thing. What you had is much more akin to...baby food. Pumpkin Pie has eggs and milk, is rich and smooth (doesn't taste like baby food at all) and a wonderful concoction.

Whew! Then you didn't really have real Pumpkin Pie. You had mashed pumpkin with some spices. NOT the same the thing. What you had is much more akin to...baby food. Pumpkin Pie has eggs and milk, is rich and smooth (doesn't taste like baby food at all) and a wonderful concoction.

:iagree: The best has a consistency of cheesecake IMO.

Well, see, the problem was the whole vegan thing!

Pumpkin pie... Yum!!! :D

Indeed, my dears, vegan pumpkin pie is, well, gross. I can like lots of vegan desserts, even the ones with silken tofu (and that takes a lot of imagination and will) but not vegan pumpkin pie.

ewww.

On the burnt butter icing . . . My recipe calls it Browned Butter Icing AND it comes with a Browned Butter Cake recipe.

It gives it a toffee flavor. You melt a stick of butter and let it heat until it's a golden brown. Put in a bunch of confectioner's sugar, some milk, and it's really good. I wouldn't call it a delicacy :tongue_smilie:, but it is a nice change from regular frosting.

You know, you could call it caramel icing. That sounds so much nicer, don't you think?

Thank goodness for that. What I had was bad. Sugary pumpkin custard, as you describe, would have been worse. I have made custard from scratch before, so I do understand what you are describing. :ack2::ack2::ack2:

I will not be eating that until one of you brings it to my house and manners require I taste it. Sugary pumpkin custard? You people are nuts!

Rosie

On the burnt butter icing . . . My recipe calls it Browned Butter Icing AND it comes with a Browned Butter Cake recipe.

The burnt is more of an inside joke around here. When I first made it, I dutifully stood over the stove and watched the butter, so I would get it just right. I kept explaining to my husband that it had to be brown and he went on and on about how I burnt it. I still can't make him believe that I meant to make it brown. To this day, he still thinks I burn it on purpose just to prove a point.

You know, you could call it caramel icing. That sounds so much nicer, don't you think?

Pumpkin cookies with caramel icing sounds gross. :D

Experience has not delivered enlightenment.

:ack2:

I stand by my previous statement. You are all mad.

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

...and voice my shared disgust for pumpkin pie.

And let it be known that I have had real non-vegan forms of the disgusting confection.

Ewwww. Ewwww. Ewwww.

Oh, Rosie. This is where you went wrong. You can not do "vegan" and "pumpkin pie" in the same pan. Pumpkin pie needs dairy--in it in the form of milk, and on it in the form of whipped heavy cream with sugar.

Heartfelt sympathy coming your way from the pumpkin maven, who has several 200ml packs frozen, waiting for service. :001_smile: (There are even more on the vine in the garden!)

:iagree: Pumpkin pie is delicious!!

I will not be eating that until one of you brings it to my house and manners require I taste it. Sugary pumpkin custard? You people are nuts!

Rosie

Oh no Rosie! You have a Pumpkin Pie lover in the vicinity, one who can make one. Now manners would require you taste it and that is a challenge I can rise to, and as it happens, I just cracked open a pumpkin yesterday and was pondering what I'd make with it. However I'm not sure about the manners of taking non-vegan food to a vegan home, can anyone enlighten me? Would it be rude to turn up on Rosies doorstep with pumpkin pie?? :D

:iagree: Pumpkin pie is delicious!!

Oh no Rosie! You have a Pumpkin Pie lover in the vicinity, one who can make one. Now manners would require you taste it and that is a challenge I can rise to, and as it happens, I just cracked open a pumpkin yesterday and was pondering what I'd make with it. However I'm not sure about the manners of taking non-vegan food to a vegan home, can anyone enlighten me? Would it be rude to turn up on Rosies doorstep with pumpkin pie?? :D

If you don't do it, I just might have to fly over there and do it myself. I've convinced myself that Rosie used the wrong kind of squash or something, and hasn't really, REALLY tasted real pumkin pie yet. 'Cause it really is good. :D

:lol:

Experience has not delivered enlightenment.

:ack2:

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

My Aussie hubby would agree with you, as would his family. They insist pumpkins are for soup, not pie. I say that means more pie for me!

:iagree:

I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin pie but it isn't gross when done right. I just prefer my pumpkin in cookies, bread, muffin, or scone form. :D

Ooohhh! Pumpkin scones! :svengo: Can one even veganize a scone? Because if it's possible, pumpkin scones are incredible, especially with cranberries and orange zest. Oh my.

Good pumpkin pie HAS to have dairy. I make 5 and 6 at the time and they are gone within a day around here. I wish I could come see you, Rosie, and bring you some real pumpkin pie!

I'd love to see you, but I'd be glad Customs wouldn't let the pie through. :D

Pumpkin pie is delicious!!

Oh no Rosie! You have a Pumpkin Pie lover in the vicinity, one who can make one. Now manners would require you taste it and that is a challenge I can rise to, and as it happens, I just cracked open a pumpkin yesterday and was pondering what I'd make with it. However I'm not sure about the manners of taking non-vegan food to a vegan home, can anyone enlighten me? Would it be rude to turn up on Rosies doorstep with pumpkin pie??

See my location. I am doomed. :001_huh:

But you all know, if she does turn up here and I don't like it, I'm going to come here and say worse things than "you people are mad."

I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin pie but it isn't gross when done right. I just prefer my pumpkin in cookies, bread, muffin, or scone form.

What's wrong with you lot? Can't you roast the stuff or something? :confused:

My Aussie hubby would agree with you, as would his family. They insist pumpkins are for soup, not pie. I say that means more pie for me!

See? This is how culinary lives are supposed to be conducted. I'm so glad you have some sensible relatives. :tongue_smilie:

Ooohhh! Pumpkin scones! Can one even veganize a scone? Because if it's possible, pumpkin scones are incredible, especially with cranberries and orange zest. Oh my.

I'll have you know, we Australians also do pumpkin scones. One of our former premier's wife was famous for her pumpkin scones. Not that I ever had one, so I don't know if her rep was justified. Hang on. Us? They were from Queensland...

BTW, since we are discussing pumpkins, IHOP now has their pumpkin pancakes, and I am going to eat there this week. Don't hate me. :D

I could never hate you :D But there's nothing wrong with pumpkin fritters. Go and eat there all week if you want!

Ha! I've just remembered something!

:party:

Keptwoman doesn't actually know my address.

:lol:

Rosie

Oh my. Do you think she's heard about what's done to sweet potatoes around holidays? Somehow I don't think the dish with marshmallows or that whipped stuff with the crunchy brown sugar topping is going to be a hit at her house.

Oh my. Do you think she's heard about what's done to sweet potatoes around holidays? Somehow I don't think the dish with marshmallows or that whipped stuff with the crunchy brown sugar topping is going to be a hit at her house.

My first experience of that was in February 1993 when I had dinner at friends of friends in Denver. :drool5: I reckon brown sugar and marshmallows are natural accompanyments to sweet potatoes, and occasionally I torture my family to try to convince them likewise :D:D:D

BTW, since we are discussing pumpkins, IHOP now has their pumpkin pancakes, and I am going to eat there this week. Don't hate me. :D

Nah, won't hate you. We'll just make them at home.

What's wrong with you lot? Can't you roast the stuff or something? :confused:

Now, who's mad? :ack2:

-JoAnn

Who's never even tried pumpkin soup because she can't imagine pumpkin being edible without sugar and cinnamon.

Nah, won't hate you. We'll just make them at home.

Now, who's mad? :ack2:

-JoAnn

Who's never even tried pumpkin soup because she can't imagine pumpkin being edible without sugar and cinnamon.

Seriously, if you have never had roasted pumpkin, you don't know what you are missing. The best pumpkin for roasting is deep orange and with minimum water content. Roast your meat with potatoes, sweet potatoes (purple if you have them), parsnip and kumara all cut up. Roll in meat juices regularly and use fan bake if you have it. :drool5:

Seriously, if you have never had roasted pumpkin, you don't know what you are missing. The best pumpkin for roasting is deep orange and with minimum water content. Roast your meat with potatoes, sweet potatoes (purple if you have them), parsnip and kumara all cut up. Roll in meat juices regularly and use fan bake if you have it. :drool5:

The issue at hand is that I don't like any kind of squash (except for pumpkin and zucchini in baked goods only) or sweet potatoes. I've never had parsnip, or at least I don't think I have. I have know idea what kumara is.

-JoAnn

Who is NOT an adventurous eater.

Madame Benoit says her mother cooked the mashed pumpkin in a pan to drive out some of the water and cook it more. I notice that Cook's Illustrated has taken her technique; they say it gives a radically better taste. I also say -- add lots of ginger! Including chunks of crystallized ginger.

Personally, I like sweet potato pie better than pumpkin.

But the real problem, Rosie, is that you have to eat it in cold, fall weather. Wait 6 months!

Personally, I like sweet potato pie better than pumpkin.

But the real problem, Rosie, is that you have to eat it in cold, fall weather. Wait 6 months!

:iagree:

I do like pumpkin pie, but sweet potato pie (at least the way my grandma made) is to die for!

And I agree, they're both even better once the weather has a definite chill!

The issue at hand is that I don't like any kind of squash (except for pumpkin and zucchini in baked goods only) or sweet potatoes. I've never had parsnip, or at least I don't think I have. I have know idea what kumara is.

-JoAnn

Ah but in a roast the pumpkin caramelises and goes all delish, as does the parsnip. They need to be well cooked, soft and gooey or they are not nice.

Actually, kumara was a typo, that's what NZers call purple sweet potato, I meant to type pumpkin :)

I have heard of it, and you are correct. :ack2:

Urgh. The only thing worth doing with purple sweet potatoes is making cake, and that isn't worth making unless you are PMSing something chronic and the only thing with sugar content in your house is purple sweet potatoes.

:lol: It's cold now. In six months time, we'll be on the tail end of our hottest season.

I've never had parsnip, or at least I don't think I have. I have know idea what kumara is.

-JoAnn

When you lot bully JoAnn into eating trying my parsnip, pear and pink peppercorn soup recipe, I will tell Keptwoman my address.

Rosie

!!

Rosie

Sorry Rosie. In all truth, you can't say you don't like pumpkin pie because you didn't have real pumpkin pie. You had vegan pumpkin pie. While I haven't tasted the recipe I found for you, I can't imagine it tastes like the real thing.