How often do your kids bathe?

Garga

How often do you bathe your kids?  

1. 1. How often do you bathe your kids?

• 1-2 times a week
    • 3-4 times a week
    • 5 or more times a week
    • other

They are now bathing 3-4x a week... mainly it's because we're swimming, and they need to get the pool chemicals off their hair and skin. The baby is exploring and deciding to wear most of her food... she may get 2 baths a day:tongue_smilie:, or I have to deal with the sticky hair. And if baby is in the bath, my 4yo wants to be in the bath.

Otherwise, it's when their sticky, yucky, smelly, or because it's our normal "bath day."

I grew up with "washing up" in the sink every morning and taking a bath once a week until I was about 8, and I pretty much follow a similar path with my daughters. They don't get a shower everyday because it dries out their skin and they aren't particularly dirty (or outdoorsy) kids. When we are home, they do regularly wash their faces after eating, and we are somewhat strict with handwashing.

During the summer, showers were more frequent because of swimming and pool chemicals.

Well, I started the poll, so you know it's only 1-2 times a week for the boys in this house.

But the responses made me realize a couple of things: when the boys had longer hair, I did bathe them more often because it would get stringy.

And we wash hands A LOT in this house.

Dd17 maybe twice a week.

dd16a+16b I have no clue. Swim at least once a day, so they normally showers at the pool when they do.

ds13: Minimum of twice a day. He has been known to be in the shower 4 to 8 times in one day...

Guess that blows the girls stay in it, and boys you have to force theory...:lol:

oh my goodness, I guess I'm seriously in the minority here:001_smile: My younger kids only bathe once a week at the most more like every 7-10 days. I guess we're dirty hippies.:D

my 12yo daughter showers a couple or three times/week. I shower 2x/week

Jen

We're with you Jen ;)

When they are particularly grotty and when I don't want to talk to them for a while.

Rosie

Exactly :laugh:

I'm just glad to know I'm not the only dirty hippy!

You can go ahead and add me to the dirty hippy list. :tongue_smilie: I do jump in the shower for 2-3 min every day, but I haven't used body soap since I was 17 years old. :blushing: I don't smell, and my skin is nice and soft since I don't wash off the natural oils. I wash my hair with a very mild shampoo every 5 days or so, and I use honey on my face pretty much daily.

The baby gets a (no soap) shower whenever he's too cranky to sit in his bouncer while I have mine - somewhere between once and three times a week. His hands, feet, and diaper area obviously get cleaned up more often, however, we're an EC family, so his diaper area doesn't usually get all that messy.

You can go ahead and add me to the dirty hippy list. :tongue_smilie: I do jump in the shower for 2-3 min every day, but I haven't used body soap since I was 17 years old. :blushing: I don't smell, and my skin is nice and soft since I don't wash off the natural oils. I wash my hair with a very mild shampoo every 5 days or so, and I use honey on my face pretty much daily.

The baby gets a (no soap) shower whenever he's too cranky to sit in his bouncer while I have mine - somewhere between once and three times a week. His hands, feet, and diaper area obviously get cleaned up more often, however, we're an EC family, so his diaper area doesn't usually get all that messy.

What does that mean?

Oh, and more power to you :D I went no poo and my family was so creeped out (gross dirty hair eww!!!!). Once my hair and scalp got used to the lack of shampoo it was so healthy. Now they all want me to introduce them to the world of natural hair care ;)

My sons get a bath every night. Not because they are necessarily dirty every night, but mostly just because it's part of their routine. They are 6 and 16 months. I know a lot of kids who only get baths every other night, or every 2 nights, but I would guess it depends on how active they are.

Why did I originally read the title of this thread as: How often do your kids battle? I thought, oh my gosh, like, every 10 minutes!

But bathing, more like every 2 to 3 days. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I only initiate the bathing process when they're dirty. We all have dry, sensitive skin. Sometimes they will ask for baths and I almost never tell them no. I say almost because we live on a well and occasionally we have to ration water.

What does that mean?

Not the OP here, but EC stands for elimination communication. I've never done it, so I'm sure I won't explain it well. But it's where you pick up on your baby's cues that he is about to elimminate, then take him to the toilet so he can do it there instead of in his diaper.

Feel free to correct me, EC moms, if I didn't get it right. :)

We got in the habit of less frequent baths back when we had a bad drought here. We did once a week for the kids with spot cleaning in between then. I noticed that that really worked just fine, so we never got back to pre-drought levels. They usually get 2 baths a week now.

Not the OP here, but EC stands for elimination communication. I've never done it, so I'm sure I won't explain it well. But it's where you pick up on your baby's cues that he is about to elimminate, then take him to the toilet so he can do it there instead of in his diaper.

I think that's right. I so wanted EC to work for us, but between my working, the baby being at the sitter, getting distracted by the other kids, it just didn't happen. I am an EC failure.

My mom is German, and I grew up with baths/showers once or twice a week. I remember when I was in middle school I mentioned it to a friend and they freaked out! I was so embarassed! I never knew other people bathed every day, so I never thought anyone would think it was weird.

As an adult I still bathe 2x per week, unless it is summer and I get dirty or sweaty. After being married for 24 yrs, now hubby does the same schedule. Hubby has really dry skin and he realizes it is better for him.

DD11 is also about 2x per week unless necessary. She has really dry skin too. But I did warn her not to discuss it with her friends, since some people bathe every day and think it would be gross! I didn't want her to get embarassed like me!

Its kind of odd because even though it is a somewhat "American" habit, doctors will tell you it's really not necessary or better for you.

My oldest two (9,7) shower every other day due to eczema. I have tried less often, and that just makes it worse. I might start trying everyday to see if that helps or not. I've been told different things, so I'm not sure.

My youngest (4) does not have eczema, but we still do his every other day just because that's what the other two do.

Oh, if they go outside and get sweaty, they have one, regardless.

ETA: As far as myself and dh, we take showers daily.

Edited by Jinnah

Bethany did a great job explaining EC, but if you want more info, the wikipedia page is quite good.

Ah, I've read about that, but never thought it was really possible. Kudos to you moms that manage it!

I guess I can understand bathing every day if you live in a hot/humid climate, have super greasy hair, or are just generally inclined to have B.O. For the rest of us ... I just don't see how we get dirty enough to justify the water & energy waste of a shower/bath. If the kids are dirty I wash the parts that are dirty in the sink, but only give a short shower or bath when I need to wash their hair (1-2x a week). DD (14) showers daily because her hair gets oily but I actually ordered dry shampoo so she doesn't have to! It just seems like total overkill to constantly sanitize your body. We're almost never sick, so it doesn't seem to hurt us.

It's whatever works, here. In summer dd9 needs to bath every day, sometimes twice. In winter both she and ds3 get by with 2-3 baths a week. In summer I'll sometimes count a swim as a bath - we're not chlorine sensitive, although the effect on dd's hair is nasty, so she usually does rinse off under the shower.

My sons are 5 and 8. They bathe when they've played hard outside and become sweaty. We bathe them after swimming...

...but in the cooler months, when they're not getting sweaty, we only bathe them once or twice a week.

Is that normal?!?

When my kids were the ages of yours, that's what we did. It's what I still do with my 8 year old. My son, however, has hit puberty and really needs to bathe more regularly. So, he now showers pretty much every day.

Lisa

I guess I can understand bathing every day if you live in a hot/humid climate, have super greasy hair, or are just generally inclined to have B.O. For the rest of us ... I just don't see how we get dirty enough to justify the water & energy waste of a shower/bath. If the kids are dirty I wash the parts that are dirty in the sink, but only give a short shower or bath when I need to wash their hair (1-2x a week). DD (14) showers daily because her hair gets oily but I actually ordered dry shampoo so she doesn't have to! It just seems like total overkill to constantly sanitize your body. We're almost never sick, so it doesn't seem to hurt us.

I hear what you're saying, and my kids DO bathe every night. That is to say, their father puts maybe 2 inches of water in the tub, and they splash around. About once a week, maybe twice, he soaps them up a bit. It's not about getting them clean, it's just part of their routine. They know that after their baths, they go to sleep.

DH is in the "shower every day" camp himself. I on the other hand, feel lucky if I take 3-4 showers a week. When the boys were babies, it was considerably less than that. Sleep always wins out, yk?

I do NOT find it weird what the OP said about her kids' bathing schedules. I know we are in the minority with our nightly baths, and I fully expect to phase that out eventually, but maybe not; we'll see. :D

I was just feeling "icky." We bathe, including mom and dad, every night before bed. We do not go to sleep dirty. And, we bathe twice during the summer if it is needed! I will not tolerate dirty, smelly kids in this house. :) Now, getting rid of dirt is one thing. Does anyone have a solution for the clutter?