Menu

Does anyone else here hate silly bands with an intense passion?

I gave each girl one pack, not knowing a THING about them being so "important". The checkout girl at Bed Bath and Beyond filled me on on how popular they were. My girls just saw rainbow colored shaped bracelets and thought they were cool. We won't be getting any more, but so far it's been a harmless non-event. We'll see what happens when PDG starts seeing girls wearing them up their arms in the fall at school.

Oh well, I guess I get the grumpy mommy award. :lol: I also hate play-doh.

I hate all the fussing about how "she won't trade" and "my silly band is broken" and all of that. I've tried telling them maybe your silly bands wouldn't break if you weren't stretching them so far or if they were actually made of something other than cheap silicone or whatever they're made of. And the dang things seem to multiply! EEEKKKK!!! They are everywhere.

Okay, I'm going to try and be nice about silly bands. You all are inspiring! But my hatred of play-doh will never end. That stuff is my nemesis. :D

I hate all the fussing about how "she won't trade" and "my silly band is broken" and all of that. I've tried telling them maybe your silly bands wouldn't break if you weren't stretching them so far or if they were actually made of something other than cheap silicone or whatever they're made of. And the dang things seem to multiply! EEEKKKK!!! They are everywhere.

Okay, I'm going to try and be nice about silly bands. You all are inspiring! But my hatred of play-doh will never end. That stuff is my nemesis. :D

I am with you on PlayDoh! Oh, and paint. And rubber stamps. Isn't that awful? I just hate the clean up...

Hey, don't mess with play-doh. My kids love playing with that stuff. I buy clay, play-doh, and still make more of our own homemade kind. LOL. My daughter is almost 11 years old! LOL. :lol:

I didn't know what they were until about ten days ago, when I stopped by the dollar store with the boys for something. When I asked what they were, the clerk looked at me like I had three heads. The boys thought they were neat, and I bought them a package to share. I have no idea what happened to them; they seemed to have disappeared.

We love them here! Both my girls probably have 150 or so each. They are a cheap fad so that's a plus. And it provides the girls with something to organize, relate to each other with, interact with others (both my girls are extremely shy so trading helps them), etc. Most mornings when my girls wake up, they pull out their silly bands, spread them out, and sit down together on the floor and trade them with each other.....despite the fact that they've seen each others bands hundreds of times LOL. I love to see them so excited when they get one they've really wanted and I love to watch my 6 year old organize and re-ogranize them. She has a binder with baseball card holders and has organized them into pockets according to what type she has.

LOOVE Silly Bandz. I wasn't sure how I would motivate my girls to get a full week of school done with gymnastics schedules of almost 20 hours a week. I LOVE Silly Bandz. It's amazing how hard my girls will work for a few Silly Bandz a week. LOVE those brightly colored cuties. We've squeaked in 4 full weeks thus far this summer. Two more weeks to go!!!!

I think that I'd work for Lattes....

The kids in our group must not have real ones or something, because we only paid $1 for a bag of 10 or more.

I heart playdough. It keeps my nephew happy for huge periods of time. He sits at the kitchen island playing happily and quietly. Anything that is dried up and on the floor g gets swept up. I remember when my kids were tiny, playdough meant many peaceful moments for mom.

We love them here! Both my girls probably have 150 or so each. They are a cheap fad so that's a plus. And it provides the girls with something to organize, relate to each other with, interact with others (both my girls are extremely shy so trading helps them), etc. Most mornings when my girls wake up, they pull out their silly bands, spread them out, and sit down together on the floor and trade them with each other.....despite the fact that they've seen each others bands hundreds of times LOL. I love to see them so excited when they get one they've really wanted and I love to watch my 6 year old organize and re-ogranize them. She has a binder with baseball card holders and has organized them into pockets according to what type she has.

I'm glad they are working out well for your family, but by cheap do you mean inexpensive? I think they are ridiculously expensive. Around here, they are usually about $7.50 for a bag of 24.

:chillpill:

I'm glad they are working out well for your family, but by cheap do you mean inexpensive? I think they are ridiculously expensive. Around here, they are usually about $7.50 for a bag of 24.

The ones I bought at BedBathBeyond were about $1.50 for 24. No way would I ever pay $7.50 for them. Yikes. I guess mine were knock-offs - I just had LLL bring them down from her room. They are called "Wild Bands". They seem completely satisfied with them...

Guest ME-Mommy

I wouldn't say I "hate" them...I just don't see the point. :tongue_smilie:

I do hate finding them here, there and everywhere around the house...

All the silly bands I have found, a variety of brands from a variety of places, are $1 a pack (generally a pack of 12 or 24). My kids couldn't help but know about them due to our neighbourhood and our church. I invested in a few packs and have used them as rewards (not whole packs, but they get rewarded with one or two at a time). I do hear the "she won't trade with me", "she took mine", and "they broke". They got over the fact that they do break. I have told them that once they are given, I have nothing more to do with them and refuse to hear it. Even the dr office is giving them away.

I started seeing them at tutoring, and just when I thought, "Hopefully, my kids won't catch wind of these," some kid gave them some at church. Which was very sweet, but darn. They're non-recyclable (around here, anyway) silicone, and they're relatively expensive when you add in the "collect them" factor. Ironically, I hear tell they were originally invented as an alternative rubber band that people would be less likely to throw away b/c it was so cute, so they were actually supposed to prevent waste, not cause it. I guess this is when my crunchy-mama comes out, like sometimes the cc comes to the forefront in discussions. I hate trendy, disposable stuff...all I can see is the landfill it's bound for. In my head, it's emblematic of a certain type of culture I dislike (think suburbanites as presented in Over the Hedge), so at best I react like the students I tutor from Myanmar, who laugh and ask if Americans use GPS devices after they get out of their cars, too, so they don't get lost between their cars and their houses. At worst, I feel depressed.

:chillpill:

The ones I bought at BedBathBeyond were about $1.50 for 24. No way would I ever pay $7.50 for them. Yikes. I guess mine were knock-offs - I just had LLL bring them down from her room. They are called "Wild Bands". They seem completely satisfied with them...

I wouldn't say I "hate" them...I just don't see the point. :tongue_smilie:

I do hate finding them here, there and everywhere around the house...

I think I'm giving the wrong idea or something. I don't *really* sit around and spend time hating these silly little things. I just don't like them. I thought I was being kinda funny, but I guess that didn't translate well online.

Nakia, who is off to go :chillpill:

Wow! We get most of ours at Wal Mart for $1 per bag of 12. I'd never pay $7.50 for them.

One of my dd has over a hundred. She trades with all of her friends. She always wears colors that match her clothes for the day. SOme days she wears them on a rapelling hook clipped to her jeans.

ETA: They are much cheaper and take up much less room that neopets, webkinz and beanie babies.

I think I'm giving the wrong idea or something. I don't *really* sit around and spend time hating these silly little things. I just don't like them. I thought I was being kinda funny, but I guess that didn't translate well online.

I have no idea why there's a "chill pill" in my quote!!! I hope you don't think I was telling you to Chill!!!! Because this is the kind of stuff that usually REALLY bugs me, too!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

You all are inspiring! But my hatred of play-doh will never end. That stuff is my nemesis. :D

I thought I hated play-doh and sand until I discovered how long a high-spirited child will play with them. Play-doh and sandboxes are worth their weight in gold for the calming effect they have on kids who otherwise can't be still. :001_smile:

The first time I gave my oldest dd play-doh, she started playing with it before I left for work. She was playing with it when I got home from work 9 hours later. I asked dh if she played with it all day, and he said pretty much. She did stop for lunch. :001_smile:

Wow! We get most of ours at Wal Mart for $1 per bag of 12. I'd never pay $7.50 for them.

Oh ok. I was wondering because $7.50 is a lot, especially since you said your girls have over 150 each. I didn't know Walmart carried them. It must be a knock-off brand. Good thing we hardly ever go to Walmart. :)

I have no idea why there's a "chill pill" in my quote!!! I hope you don't think I was telling you to Chill!!!! Because this is the kind of stuff that usually REALLY bugs me, too!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I did think you were telling me to chill, lol. I thought I must be coming across as a hateful old woman or something. :lol:

We have the cheap ones, although DD bought one pack of real ones (I'm not sure which are real anymore-they're everywhere) when she found the dragon/viking themed set at our local teacher's store. I think she spent $5 on the pack of 24. She also has gotten a bunch at parties and at VBS, and she and her friends give them to each other. I haven't seen much trading-more "I'm going to give this one to Ashlyn, and this to Kinzie, and this one to Cecelia".... I think she likes having something she can give her friends. And I kind of like her having something to spend her quarters on that's not sugary-especially when she gives most of the bands away.

She doesn't like wearing them much, just having them.

I figure that when she gets tired of them, I'll be stocked on rubber bands for a good long time ;).

:chillpill:!!!!!!!! LOL, j/k!

It came across how you intended to me. :)

I think they're cute. My kids and all the kids on our block love them and trade them. I think some of the shapes are really fun and neat.

We can get packs of 12 or 15 (I forget) for between $1.49 and $3.00 a package, depending on what store you go into.

Parents should be careful of their kids wearing a bunch of them too tight/for too long as they can cause circulation problems in some cases.

and you might end up having to discuss birth control with your children sooner than you intended, be forewarned. haha. (See my posts for the "Well, my 9 year old knows about birth control" thread if you're so inclined).

:D

My 5yo discovered these a few weeks ago when kids at tennis were wearing them. She's bought a couple of packs from the dollar store, but has declared that $5 is way too much and she would never spend more than $1. :lol: This is my big spender, too! I guess it's finally sinking in that $5 is more than a month of allowances, so for that reason alone I'm a fan of the silly bands (or whatever brand we've got). She wore them for a couple days, but mostly just sorts them and admires them now. I did pick up a couple packs to take on vacation for dd's to share with their cousins, so I hope my extended family isn't in the "hate them" camp! ;)

I started seeing them at tutoring, and just when I thought, "Hopefully, my kids won't catch wind of these," some kid gave them some at church. Which was very sweet, but darn. They're non-recyclable (around here, anyway) silicone, and they're relatively expensive when you add in the "collect them" factor. Ironically, I hear tell they were originally invented as an alternative rubber band that people would be less likely to throw away b/c it was so cute, so they were actually supposed to prevent waste, not cause it. I guess this is when my crunchy-mama comes out, like sometimes the cc comes to the forefront in discussions. I hate trendy, disposable stuff...all I can see is the landfill it's bound for. In my head, it's emblematic of a certain type of culture I dislike (think suburbanites as presented in Over the Hedge), so at best I react like the students I tutor from Myanmar, who laugh and ask if Americans use GPS devices after they get out of their cars, too, so they don't get lost between their cars and their houses. At worst, I feel depressed.

I feel the same way. My kids like getting those things, but they don't collect, and they all end up in the garbage. It's such a waste of money and resources. For the longest time my kids had no idea what they were too. Now, suddenly, they're coming at us from every direction. Fortunately, they know better than to ask me to pay for them, and they don't care enough to spend their own money on them, so I just have to deal with the ones they get from family members.

I :001_wub: playdoh though :lol:

I am with you on PlayDoh! Oh, and paint. And rubber stamps. Isn't that awful? I just hate the clean up...

I actually love paint and glitter and all that. I don't like stamps either because it seems like all my girls have ever done is rub the ink pad all over everything in the house. My kids know they cannot have play-doh in our home. One of my good friends has three boys, and they have tons of play-doh. The first thing my girls do when we go there for a visit is rush to the cabinet the play-doh is in. :lol:

I did think you were telling me to chill, lol. I thought I must be coming across as a hateful old woman or something. :lol:

Oh I'm so sorry!!!! Seriously, I could have written your OP (about other stuff, though...like crafts in general) Right now, my girls are BEGGING me to iron their weird bead thingie, which means pulling out the ironing board, setting up the iron, etc... you'd think they were asking me to drive to the moon or something. I'm just in a bad mood.

PS PDG just read my post and is DYING of laughter!

I love to see the kids setting them all out and trading them. I think it teaches them negotiating skills. I also love to see them giving them away to other kids. We don't allow many of the popular tv shows and movies so I am so happy to be able to say "yes!" to something.

Well, perhaps because I have not happened to find them laying all over the floor and messing up the vacuum cleaner as some of you may have, I think they're kinda cute.

And compared to other things - $50 high-tops? Lingerie-as-outerwear? - they are a much cheaper and more modest way to be in on fashion trends. So important to 13 yo girls... at least mine.