Menu

If you have naturally curly hair, post a pic!

What a journey I have had trying to find products that work on my hair. I have been cursed with dandruff problems so I cannot NOT wash my hair regularly. If I do not wash my scalp at least 5 days a week with a tea tree type shampoo, I have big honkin flakes and my scalp is just gross.

Lately I have been using Burt's Bees More Moisture conditioner and occasionally, their Three Minute Miracle. After I wash my scalp (seriously, I bend over and massage the shampoo into my scalp and rinse like crazy before putting in conditioner) I comb the conditioner through and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing with tepid to cool water (whatever I can stand.) After I wrap my head in a towel for several minutes (no, the microfiber towel did not make one bit of difference) I use Aquage Defining Gel and comb through. Then I do my best not to touch it or move it too much. If I have to go out earlier, I will dry it very gently with a diffuser and then blow out my bangs with a round brush.

After my hair is dry, I use a mixture of Aquage Defining Cream and Matrix Contouring Milk and scrunch that on my hair to control the fuzzy fly aways that may have escaped (like from me moving my head.) I finish off with a touch of Aquage hair spray. The products are expensive, but I get them from a discount hair supply place online.

Then I pray for no wind! I miss the days of chiffon scarves to protect the "dos". ;).

Barb, her curls are adorable! Yes, it is common to have varying amounts of curl on different parts of one's head. Try using aussie's 3 minute miracle and combing her hair with an extremely wide-toothed comb while the conditioner is in her hair. After rinsing, run another dab of conditioner through.

Starr, I loved living in the desert because my hair was fabulous there, it had the perfect amount of curl.

Barb, her curls are adorable! Yes, it is common to have varying amounts of curl on different parts of one's head. Try using aussie's 3 minute miracle and combing her hair with an extremely wide-toothed comb while the conditioner is in her hair. After rinsing, run another dab of conditioner through.

I always wanted a curly girl :001_smile: The genes are in the family, but none of the other girls have them. So I leave the conditioner in then? After towel drying?

Barb

I always wanted a curly girl :001_smile: The genes are in the family, but none of the other girls have them. So I leave the conditioner in then? After towel drying?

Barb

My eldest has wavy hair, my middle dd has super curly hair, I was glad that my son has zero curl.

Yes, just put in a dab after towel drying and leave it. It should be just about right for baby curls. :)

My eldest has wavy hair, my middle dd has super curly hair, I was glad that my son has zero curl.

Yes, just put in a dab after towel drying and leave it. It should be just about right for baby curls. :)

Eh, I love your curls; don't wish them away. Yours look like baby curls too.

I had no photo of me on the computer. I had to take some. Then I realized that dd had brushed out my hair earlier this evening. Yikes! I didn't take any of that style. I had to get my hair wet so it would do it's thing again.

So me with wet hair, no make up and in my PJs.

(Sorry I don't know how to do the thumbnail things,and I've tried everything can to make them smaller. Only the first one is a decent size)

004-1.jpg

ETAI took the two huge pix out. .

Edited by Parrothead
ridiculously huge photo removal.

What kind of product do you use? Your waves look so easy and nice!

You are not going to believe this but, NOTHING! Its a good haircut. I wash at night and go to sleep and wake up like that. I dont blow dry or use mousse or anything.

I use Redken shampoo/cond when I can afford it. Also have dandruff so I add a few drops of tea tree oil in my conditioner. If I am broke I use Suave.

My bff is a wonderful beautician. She is not afraid to layer the heck out of my hair (shes says most stylists wont do a lot to curly hair)

Its all about the cut for me. I am also blessed with thick hair!

No pix ... but a curly girl too! I've been using conditioner to wash for over a year and my hair is getting healthier. It used to be so dry and brittle. I am currently using Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioner, and co-wash it once or twice a week, concentrating on my scalp rather than my hair. I use a homemade flax seed gel for styling. I just bought Dr. Bronners Lavender styling product and I think I like it too. I need to use it a bit longer to know for sure.

You all have such pretty curls! Its fun to read about the products too. Thank you for sharing.

Okay, so for the first time in forever, I just washed my hair and let it air dry. I put in a little John Frieda Frizz Ease and some Shine Drops. It's only 9a here on a rainy day and look how poufy it is :mad:. I'll never make it to noon without running an iron through it or pulling it back. It drives me crazy!

post-4487-13535083764902_thumb.jpg

post-4487-13535083765063_thumb.jpg

post-4487-13535083764902_thumb.jpg

post-4487-13535083765063_thumb.jpg

My hair is just wavy since having kids..it was curlier beforehand!

My dd took all my curls, and some!

She looks after hers well, since we borrowed Curly Girl from the library 2-3 years back now. She rarely washes her hair with shampoo. She wets and conditions her hair daily though. And spends waaaaay too long in the shower daily :) As for brands of conditioner....we try different ones regularly. We do find the Bedhead ones to be excellent. She needs a good quality thick conditioner. I wash my hair every 2nd day...the Curly Girl regime doesnt work for me as my hair is so fine, that leaving conditioner in it makes it too heavy.

I don't have a good picture right now, but I finally embraced my curls in my teens. However, it wasn't until a few months ago (at 33) that I read that book a realized shampooing was not good! I'm still working on figuring out a good routine of co-washing and what products to use, but I am loving the different types of curls and how it isn't "puffy" anymore. I also discovered naturallycurly.com and all the great advice on there. The "plopping" with an old T-shirt has helped a ton! Plus not combing my hair anymore, but only combing through it in the shower with my fingers.

So happy I found that info. Now to practice on my 9 year old daughter. :) Her hair is much different than mine, but it does have some curl.

Angel

I have fought my hair all my life..lol. Very thick, rather coarse, and always dry. I'm doing the no poo thing right now, and it looks healthier than it ever has before. It's also getting curlier as I get older. And grayer :lol:

I'm in the process of growing it back out...so it's kind of homely at the moment.

I found 3 photos...the blue shirt one is the most recent. The long hair was about 5 years ago, the other one is somewhere in between.

Okay, so for the first time in forever, I just washed my hair and let it air dry. I put in a little John Frieda Frizz Ease and some Shine Drops. It's only 9a here on a rainy day and look how poufy it is :mad:. I'll never make it to noon without running an iron through it or pulling it back. It drives me crazy!

See, now I think your hair is quite lovely. It doesn't look nearly as poufy as you think it does. I know because I deal with this same thing. I *feel* it starting to "halo" around my head on humid days. My dh looks at me like I'm crazy when I say, "Look at my hair! It's huge!".

Our hair was ideal for the 80's...unfortunately I didn't take advantage of it at the time. I was slumping around with an asymmetrical bob, my head shaved on one side, and a tiny, braided tail over my shoulder :D.

My hair is so strange. I had stick straight hair until after I had kids, and now it looks like this! (Mind you, I'm not complaining...I love having some body to it! ;)) I don't typically use any product in it...unless "No More Tangles" counts as product (?)

post-2720-13535083768725_thumb.jpg

post-2720-13535083768725_thumb.jpg

Guest Katia

Oh my goodness, Laura! Your hair is beautiful this way!!! Fight the urge to straighten and let it go. Ok, if it gets in your face, it really is ok to pull some of it back, but honestly.....it's GORGEOUS!

See, now I think your hair is quite lovely. It doesn't look nearly as poufy as you think it does. I know because I deal with this same thing.

Oh my goodness, Laura! Your hair is beautiful this way!!! Fight the urge to straighten and let it go. Ok, if it gets in your face, it really is ok to pull some of it back, but honestly.....it's GORGEOUS!

I agree! Your hair is beautiful and not poufy at all. DON'T TOUCH THAT FLAT IRON!!! :D

Here's the best I could do, as far as pictures of the curl. This was in south Texas and I'm a Colorado dry climate gal! I was beside myself controlling the curl the first few days, but by this time I found gobs of conditioner, frizz control, topped with mouse and hair spray held it down, then I used a black hair scarf on top to keep the shorter spots on top down a bit when I knew I couldn't tend to it but it had to stay neat. I think I'd have to find a different hair style if I ever moved to a humid area.

My daughter's curls were as cute as ever, no frizz. :glare:

I agree! Your hair is beautiful and not poufy at all. DON'T TOUCH THAT FLAT IRON!!! :D

See, now I think your hair is quite lovely. It doesn't look nearly as poufy as you think it does. I know because I deal with this same thing. I *feel* it starting to "halo" around my head on humid days. My dh looks at me like I'm crazy when I say, "Look at my hair! It's huge!"..

Aw, thanks. You guys are sweet :). But it grew bigger and bigger throughout the day, so not only did I whip out the iron, but I put it up, too. I think I need some sort of pseudo concrete sort of product to keep it manageable.

Our hair was ideal for the 80's...unfortunately I didn't take advantage of it at the time. I was slumping around with an asymmetrical bob, my head shaved on one side, and a tiny, braided tail over my shoulder :D.

LOL! Mine was shaved on one side, too, in the 80s! The remaining 2/3 of my hair was dyed orange and teased. I was so cool (NOT!):lol:.

Oooh, I want to play!

I'm having a hard time finding any recent pics. I usually just pull my hair into a ponytail or a bun.

The first is a couple of years ago. Out in the heat and humidity, it usually turns into a frizzy mess like this. The second pic is about 4 years ago with my beautifully straight-haired dd. I love her hair now. She wishes she had curly hair like me. :glare:

I was reconciled to my hair when I was living in Utah. I figured out what products to use to get perfect ringlets. Now, in Florida, I always have a frizzy halo around my head. It's even worse now that my post-partum hair loss is growing back and I have a bunch of inch-long hair sticking straight up.

Aw, thanks. You guys are sweet :). But it grew bigger and bigger throughout the day, so not only did I whip out the iron, but I put it up, too. I think I need some sort of pseudo concrete sort of product to keep it manageable.

I think you might want to try some kind of curl creme. Gel and mousse might be too light. I actually like the Garnier product line. Maybe you can find something inexpensive made by Garnier. That way if it doesn't work, you won't be out much.

I had to add some pics of my curly-q.

Goofy girl.

[attach]3023[/attach]

This is the way it looks when there is no taming!

[attach]3024[/attach]

I wish she still wore girly-girl stuff. But, alas, that is for another thread.

[attach]3025[/attach]

I take her to a "curly hair" salon. They cut her hair dry; it takes forever! We use Deva Curl no-poo and conditioner, along with Moroccan Oil Hydrating Mask.

[attach]3026[/attach]

post-10191-13535083773874_thumb.jpg

post-10191-13535083774071_thumb.jpg

post-10191-13535083774452_thumb.jpg

post-10191-13535083774611_thumb.jpg

post-10191-13535083773874_thumb.jpg

post-10191-13535083774071_thumb.jpg

post-10191-13535083774452_thumb.jpg

post-10191-13535083774611_thumb.jpg

I'd love to find a place like that!

It saved our lives! DD's hair was always a tangly, and I mean one big tangly, mess. I spend soooo much on her haircut and supplies, but it is worth every penny. Everyone else in the family gets cheap shampoo! Gotta balance it out somehow! ;)