Menu

Little kids and their cute mispronunciations

Recent gems from my 6 yo:

She told me over the phone that my little sister had diabetes. I was like, "do, what?" Whereupon she explained that her poop was really runny. Oh, she meant diarrhea! I clarified it for her.:lol:

She also messes up acronyms a lot. We go to SCA (society for creative anacronism) meetings at the ASU (arizona state university) campus. Somehow this all gets mixed up with USA (as in the country) in her mind, and she'll ask things like, "When are we going to the USA meeting?" or "Is that on the USA campus?" She mostly just refers to ASU as "campus" now, but then she gets that occasionally mixed up with "camp", as in "we go to USA campus every year" meaning we go to a week-long SCA camping event. It's pretty cute, if a bit confusing.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dd used to put on her swimsoup to get in the pool and always wanted a warm glass of nuk (rhymes with book) before bed. She also liked to watch bidwoes (videos) we recorded of Daddy playing with her.

Ds would go to nack-nack (gymnastics) and at night would fall fast afweep.

When my ds played baseball for the first time he was in a "coach pitch" league - meaning the coaches did all the pitching. I had taken him to his first practice and stayed with him (he wasn't very old, maybe 6?), and then dh came by the practice after work and stayed while I went home to fix dinner. When they both arrived after the first practice, I asked ds what the coach had asked the players to call him - I didn't know if he would want to go by his last name, "Coach Smith," or his first name, "Coach John." Ds replied, "Mama, it's Coach PITCH!" He thought that was his name!

Funny, I can't recall that coach's real name at all, and when I see him around town I always think, "There's Coach Pitch." :D

My dd used to say lellow for yellow

My ds would say kack for quack. We would always ask him what does a duck say just so he would say "kack, kack". :001_smile:

He would also say cimmunum for cinnamon.

The whole family still says pooter for computer. Sometimes I forget and say pooter when we are out in public. :lol:

The whole family still says pooter for computer. Sometimes I forget and say pooter when we are out in public. :lol:

I wish my dd had called it a pooter. She said peter, don't know where that came from. She told my mom that Daddy was at home playing with his *you guessed it*. My sister still teases him about it.

The other day my ds said to me, "Why are they called girled cheese sandwiches? They're for girls and boys."

Ds1 called them Girl Cheese Sandwiches, too. Boy Cheese sandwiches were uncooked and had ketchup in them. Here are his other mispronunciations:

michael rave = microwave

yollipop = lollipop (this was the last one he lost. I was so said when he asked for a Lollipop :crying: )

escagator = escalator

Ds2 had major speech delays so nothing in the cute and memorable category.

Dd had/has a few, though:

hopgrasser = grasshopper

di-kar = guitar

resilvermote = silver remote (she doesn't say this one anymore)

Cinder

ETA: for the longest time dd called the UPS truck the VBS truck. Then it became the GPS truck. Now she knows it's UPS. She always got FedEx correct, though.

Edited by Cinder

Ds4 doesn't yike bugs. They're bis-dustin' !

We also do lots of school on the pooter :001_smile:

Ds14 used to love watching the go-round (ceiling fan).

Must grocery shop tomorrow. The fridgereator is almost empty! We'll go in the Suh-bob-an.

And sunblock is forever 'glock' at our house.

my dd5 says "memember" instead of "remember"-- a lot. i never correct it. even now she's starting to transition to saying it correctly about 1/2 the time. love it.

yesterday they went to see " 'spicable me."

when she was even smaller she used to call ketchup "cheepah" and ranch dressing "white cheepah." that's still what we call it.

Edited by Hedgehogs4

Not a mispronunciation, but a cute story:

When my son was six I was telling him about Egypt and that when the pharaohs died they would make them into mummies. The priests would put salt and spices on the body, then they would wrap the body in linen and put them in the pyramid. Later in the day I asked him if he remembered how the Egyptians made mummies and he said, "Well, they use REAL people!! Then they put salt and pepper on them and wrap them in tin foil." Hahaha!! It still makes me laugh out loud.

DD3 calls her grandpa -papa and her grandMA-cranpa (no spelling mistake) LOL at first her gma wasn't too keen on being called cranpa, until she found out that dd3 called her granny otherwise...she settled on cranpa.

My oldest used to say:

"pots" for stop

"kanye" for piglet

"koonts" for scooter

"washy machi-machine" for washing machine and sewing machine

"Net us guh" for "let us go"

"Book a booka booka beeee!" for To infinity and beyond!

Middle son never baby talked. He was tiny and talked like a high-pitched grown man.

Youngest:

"Nahaniel" for Nathaniel

"Boonj" for Benj (short for Benjamin)

"foosh" for fish

"muck" for milk (shockolate muck for chocolate milk)

"punkin" for watermelon

He had one mispronunciation that was a bit embarrassing. He went through a phase of substituting /f/ for /tr/. Which is fine for tree (fee) train (fain) tractor (factor), but not truck :001_huh: We got lots of raised eyebrows for a while in public.

My asked me if I wanted to "Come upstirs to see my wabberdory." I love his imagination, but sometimes it is hard to have a clue what he is talking about.

Laboratory of course! Right?:D

My ds6 still sleeps on a "trumble" bed. And we still call our globe the "world bulb" after my dd started calling it that so many years ago. Ice cream is "high preem" and computer is "cute-a-pooter".

The cutest ones were when my daughter would throw a random "be" at the beginning of many words. So, she loved to eat "be-matoes" and took "be-nastics" every week at the local gym. And, my personal favorite at Easter, "Marshmallow Peeps are be-sgusting!"

The most embarassing was when my DS was struggling with the 'tr' sound. He made the 'f' sound instead. This was particularly embarassing because my DH is a truck driver, so my DS is always eager to point out trucks that he sees. So, we would be out somewhere and my DS would see a truck and he would yell, "Look, Daddy! *uck!"

I have really enjpyed reading all these - gave me some good laughs!

My ds10 used to say uhwewah for umbrella. And of c ourse I asked him to say it often :D

My now 2 yo has some good ones. He loves to listen to and dance to sekum (music). He says Mommy, gook (look). Milk is guck. And of course there's chalka guck. Hmmm what else.... He says gucky for yucky ( he apparently likes the guh sound)? Out twin neighbors (age 3) are named Travis and Trevor, but he calls them both Travor. Cars are noom nooms. Yogurt is Ogre.

Here lately he is referring to himself as baby - as in baby dink, baby paci, baby ni night (I think may e this is his way of reminding us that he is still that bay, regardless of the one that is due in Feb).

He can repeat a lot of long words very well, but certain ones just come out funny. Oh, and Isaiah, his brother is saywah and Drew is DooDoo.

Funny!! I loved reading them all!

My DS didn't have many funny things he said other than lellow for yellow and memo for Nemo. I'm sure there were others but he was such an early talker and pretty clear.

DD on the other hand had some fun ones :)

noman for snowman

mazagine for magazine

mushroom for marshmallow (still does this often)

camama for camera

gagas and then glasseses for glasses

She would also say something was right-side down or upside-right.

Ok my oldest called a wash cloth a quash quash, yogurt she called orgit, she would say Im guck for Im stuck. A spoon was a bom (long O sound).

my now 8 year old called oat meal openmeal and my now 5 year old called it oat-yum.

My now 5 year old called snuggle guggle (we still call it that:001_smile:) He also call a railroad a realroad (the l sound was a super cute mix of an L and W sound LOL)

My now 4 year old called ketchup--duppy-dup. He called water slides dawder drides. A merry go round was a round and round

Oh I LOVE this thread! I will have to think of others!!! I know there were alot more!

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Well, I do in-home childcare and a couple of the children that I keep came up with creative names for me. ;)

My name is Catrina and one used to call me "Mina" all the time. It was soooo cute and I hated it when she could actually pronounce it correctly.

Now, I have a little one that calls me "Turna" all the time. I am always hearing "OK, Turna" or "Surprise, Turna!". Very adorable!

My own son says "AX-CA-DENT" instead of accident, and I love it! And for some reason, he says "expect" instead of "besides". For example, most people would say "Besides, I really love that color anyway.". Well, my son says "Expect, I really love that color anyway". Go figure! :tongue_smilie:

When my daughter was little, she couldn't say Grandma, so it came out Ammaw. To this day, that is what my mom is called by all her grandchildren AND her childcare children too! That has been over 16 years now! :001_smile:

I thought of a few more after reading everybody's responses:

kepsup = ketchup

ogrit = yogurt

buppy = tummy

body = booty

"Mommy, you hear my tummy?? It girl-ded!" (growled)

And then not mispronunciations, but 2 funny stories.

Yesterday we drove past a pretty bad car accident. We had to stop at a red light right next to a car that had really bad rear damage. There were 2 police cars there with their lights on. We then happened upon another intersection where there was a car pulled over by 2 more police cars with their lights on. This led to a discussion of policemen with 3yr old DD. She commented that the "policemans" were bad. I explained that no, they weren't - that policemen would help us if we couldn't find mommy or daddy, or if we needed help with something. She promptly piped up and said, "or, if the back of us car explodes". Well, yeah, I suppose they would help us then too, LOL!

Then, also yesterday, 10yr old DD was talking about music with a friend on the phone. She told this friend that she knew all the words to "Living on a Prayer". Apparantely, friend was not familiar with the song, so DD decided to sing it for her. She promptly sang, "Woooah, we're halfway there. Livin' on a prayer. Take my hand and we'll make out a square." (make it I swear) LOL!

My name is Catrina and one used to call me "Mina" all the time. It was soooo cute and I hated it when she could actually pronounce it correctly.

My youngest dd's name is Katrina. My son, when he was 2, called her "my Tryna baby". He pronounced her name with a long i instead of an e sound. It was so sweet.

When she could talk a bit she called him Alice. His name is Alex.

My oldest who is now 11 had quite a few, but the ones that stick out were

mi-mi this is what he called a pacifier

a loon = balloon

luna = moon

a luna = bologna

Those were tough to keep straight sometimes.

Our dog (who's since passed) was named Rumples, but sometimes called Rinky, he always called her "Ooba Da Ya" not sure why

Uma = Mama

Wa wa = Dada

mooky = spookey he'd do this complete with and eerie waver in his voice and jazz hands

Tookie = cookie

My dd who is now 8 loves those gerber thermal receiving blankets , but she liked to stuff them under her head instead of a pillow, and has always called them Head Blankets

For her Popcorn was always Pa Corn

Stick dog = corn dog

My youngest who will be 5 in 9 days had a couple too

Se Say (short e on the first word) = Festis, our pugs name

Pop co = popcicle

Pork ee pine apple = pineapple

The best one that all my kids use, still to this day is

Monkey Toes= bare feet as in "can we go outside in our Monkey toes?"

Not a mispronunciation, but a cute story:

When my son was six I was telling him about Egypt and that when the pharaohs died they would make them into mummies. The priests would put salt and spices on the body, then they would wrap the body in linen and put them in the pyramid. Later in the day I asked him if he remembered how the Egyptians made mummies and he said, "Well, they use REAL people!! Then they put salt and pepper on them and wrap them in tin foil." Hahaha!! It still makes me laugh out loud.

:lol:

My oldest couldn't make a 'th' sound for the longest time, so instead of thanks, she always said "Stanks!"

I found it hilarious and was so sad when she could finally say it properly, lol. My one-year-old, on the other hand, can't say the word at all and just says "Sssssss" for thanks. I think people must think I'm crazy when we're out in public - I hand the baby something, he hisses at me, and I say "You're welcome!" ;)

Oldest also called videos 'big-eos' as a toddler. To this day I still ask the kids if they want to watch a bigeo. :tongue_smilie:

I thought of another one.

My youngest when he was about 2.5 came down one evening and said "I want a tawkin bed" My dh and I kept asking him "You want a talking bed?" and he'd say "yeah a tawkin bed" :confused: We thought he'd seen a commercial for a toy of some sort and said "ok we'll put it on your birthday list" and he got really mad and yelled "I'm sleepy, I want a tawkin bed" and that's when it dawned on me. He didn't want a "Talking bed" he wanted a TUCK in bed, meaning he wanted us to come tuck him in. :lol:

My favorite was when DS2 was almost 4. He likes to control the house and thinks he's in charge. Anyway, DH and I had been telling him we are the adults and we make the decisions in our house. One night at dinner he was giving us fits and informed us that he makes the "mecisions" around here. He was quite upset with us when we fell to the floor laughing.

My oldest couldn't make a 'th' sound for the longest time, so instead of thanks, she always said "Stanks!"

I found it hilarious and was so sad when she could finally say it properly, lol. My one-year-old, on the other hand, can't say the word at all and just says "Sssssss" for thanks. I think people must think I'm crazy when we're out in public - I hand the baby something, he hisses at me, and I say "You're welcome!" ;)

:lol::smilielol5:DD and I are laughing so hard at this one!!

Just thought of a few more.

Every one of my children said "oit-meal" and "o-gert" for oatmeal and yogurt.

Not a mispronunciation but my oldest wanted to know how they got the "cheese" in the hard-boiled eggs. :tongue_smilie:

My oldest always said she was towered for tired. And when we'd go to the playground she would say, "My name's Megan, whose your name?"

Not a mispronunciation but my oldest wanted to know how they got the "cheese" in the hard-boiled eggs. :tongue_smilie:

/QUOTE]

My oldest asked the same thing when he was younger!

I remembered a few more:

Owen says "nank oo". He can't do the "th" sound.

He asks for "mook", as in moo like a cow, with a k on the end.

The older two called all meat chicken until not too long ago. Now I notice that Owen does it too. It's either chicken or burger.

When kiddo was two, and wanted me to go around the room telling him the name of everything, we got to the aloe vera. I told him he could touch the barbs, as they weren't painful. He touched very gingerly, and was happy to see they didn't hurt. But instead of then repeating "aloe vera" to me, he smiled at his cleverness and said: "Owie vera".

First pun!