Menu

Are there still places where the term "colored" is used/accepted?

I was shocked here in Ohio at our new church to hear a woman who was born and maybe raised in the South but has lived up North here for a LONG time to use the term "colored" to refer to African-American/black people. (I know some probably see "black" as not so great, either, but every African-American I know well enough to ask what they prefer has said "black" is perfectly fine to them.)

I just don't know how to respond to the use of the word "colored". It really bothered me, but I don't know what to say or IF I should bother saying anything. Or is this not a big deal? I don't know! Her dd says it, too, and my dd was very bugged by it--after she asked me what in the world it meant!! lol She said that she wanted to ask, "Oooooh, what color were they??" but I told her to hold back on that one, even though I understand the temptation. :P

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've certainly heard it used, primarily by those of an older generation, but I can't say I see it as acceptable at all (and I don't believe those I've heard using the term care if anyone finds it acceptable either, because I don't think they intend it to be).

I have a wonderful family member who used to use that word. As much as I love this person I would smile and ask her "what color were they?" She no longer uses that word around me.

I find the term offensive as it was used to identify segregated areas in public. We are all "colored" if you want to get technical about it. :glare: My color just happens to be a pale pinkish white.

I've certainly heard it used, primarily by those of an older generation, but I can't say I see it as acceptable at all (and I don't believe those I've heard using the term care if anyone finds it acceptable either, because I don't think they intend it to be).

:iagree::iagree:

The only time I've heard the term used now is by elderly people. My dh's grandmother used it and even though I reminded her not to use that term she still did. She had Alzheimer's and that was understandable. It still made me cringe every time she would use it though. She didn't mean it in a derogatory way. It was just the term she grew up with and was too old to change.

What an interesting thread. I have to say in the States I would say absolutely inappropriate. However, we live in Europe and it's very different over here. I hear the term colored often and no one seems to think anything of it and black people are certainly not called African-American for obvious reasons. In fact the black people I know (who are European), think it's silly for African-Americans to want to be called this. One of my friends (who is black) thinks it's degrading. She said it waters down their American heritage. I'm not sure I believe that, but being Caucasian, I don't think it's my right to argue.

Nothing surprises me, frankly. In some cases, I have had to conclude "colored" was the less offensive of the terms someone considered using. Yikes. However, it sounds horribly outdated to me, as does the term "negro," though of course, NAACP and the Negro College Fun (and phrases like "negro spirituals") certainly are still around.

I would say 'no.' But I've been surprised how 'behind the times' some of the midwest is! Ohio was the 1st place I personally ran into anti-Semitism, too. Wisconsin was the 2nd place...not a great track record.

FWIW, I wouldn't say anything to someone who did, unless it was combined with a bigoted remark...e.g. 'the colored people always...' Broad stereotypes push my buttons. :)

Since the NAACP was founded around 1908, you should be able to understand the use of the word then, vs. now.

Sure, but if this is actually considered now to be a derogatory or degrading term, you'd think they'd change the name. I just didn't have any idea that is was not okay, honestly. I don't use it, but don't see why it's insulting. Just a word. But then, I'm not overly sensitive about these things. The arguments about why this word is not acceptable seem kinda silly to me, but then of course, I'm not...um....non-white, so I don't have much of a perspective. I just don't get it I guess.

Please don't read any snark into my reply - none intended. I am totally serious and sincere and in no way racist what so ever.

When we bought our first house 6.5 years ago we were greeted by a neighbor in her late 50's with the BEST pecan pie I have ever eaten, but who also used to the word "colored" to refer to our other neighbor's lawn guy:o! Dh and I looked at each other in disbelief, but she didn't skip a beat. It was obvious she didn't even know how inappropriate it was. We sold our house last year and moved in a more mixed neighborhood. This was in Greer, SC;)

Edited by JenC3

Sure, but if this is actually considered now to be a derogatory or degrading term, you'd think they'd change the name. I just didn't have any idea that is was not okay, honestly. I don't use it, but don't see why it's insulting. Just a word. But then, I'm not overly sensitive about these things. The arguments about why this word is not acceptable seem kinda silly to me, but then of course, I'm not...um....non-white, so I don't have much of a perspective. I just don't get it I guess.

Please don't read any snark into my reply - none intended. I am totally serious and sincere and in no way racist what so ever.

Actually, there are many who have called for the NAACP to change its name, along with the UNCF. That's it's an out-of-date org., run by old men, stuck in the 50's & 60's.

Words are just that, but they also have power. I'm sure you have some heritage somewhere that has been called a name (one that was less than pleasing), even if it's over a divide of faith or what country a family is from. I don't think it's a small thing to try to considerate when it comes to the names/labels we use to refer to each other. Even my very racist, now departed dh's grandfather, knew "colored" was a derogatory term to use after about 1970.

I was shocked here in Ohio at our new church to hear a woman who was born and maybe raised in the South but has lived up North here for a LONG time to use the term "colored" to refer to African-American/black people. (I know some probably see "black" as not so great, either, but every African-American I know well enough to ask what they prefer has said "black" is perfectly fine to them.)

I just don't know how to respond to the use of the word "colored". It really bothered me, but I don't know what to say or IF I should bother saying anything. Or is this not a big deal? I don't know! Her dd says it, too, and my dd was very bugged by it--after she asked me what in the world it meant!! lol She said that she wanted to ask, "Oooooh, what color were they??" but I told her to hold back on that one, even though I understand the temptation. :P

When we first got married, 2 decades ago, I got on my f-i-l for using it, but there was more to it than the word. However, I don't know if I'd make the word an issue now; since the acceptable term keeps changing, I don't know that it indicates a racial attitudes for people to be behind the time.

NAACP does stand for National Association of Colored People. Colored was the more respectful term back then. In the 60's, it switched to Black (capital B) or Afro-American, with Black emerging as the winner. Now it's primarily African-American, though Black is also acceptable as per the the AA folks I know. The term "people of color" ,which refers to people who have different skin that Euro-Caucasians and not just to AA's, is also acceptable when speaking of more than one non-Caucasian group. "Nonmajority" is another currently acceptable term to refer to people of European-only ancestry. (Most Mexicans, for instance, have a mixed Native American plus Spanish ancestry).

I wouldn't necessarily make an issue of the word use if the "attitude" doesn't accompany it, especially since you don't know her well. If you get to know the person, you might clue her in that the term might be taken the wrong way nowadays because of how it's been misused in the past and that she is likely communicating to anyone who hears it that she is racially predjudiced and proud of it (even if she is simply out-of-date.) If you aren't certain that there is "attitude" this is the way I would approach it, even if I *thought* some attitude might be there.

If the attitude is communicated, then I would be direct about confronting that. The word use really doesn't mean much; racially disparaging attitudes do.

My grandmother used to refer to black people as colored. She didn't mean anything derogatory about it, but rather that was what she was taught was polite as a child. I would be very surprised to hear a person under 50 or 60 use it today. But, in my college classes we often referred to anyone who is non-white as "people/person of color." As these were extremely liberal PC professors, I think that is a very common and accepted usage in some circles. We were also taught not to use African American as it was offensive to assume that someone is American or considered themselves African- black or person of color was the preferred neutral term. Lots of people were also using the term brown instead of black too.

How old was she? I know it doesn't make it acceptable, but I have found that "older" people tend to use the term colored. My grandmother is 83 years old and says "colored people." She's not meaning it as derogatory....it's just what she grew up saying.

I have a grandmother who is in her 80's and she uses it. When she grew up in rural Arkansas everyone used the "n" word. She considers herself to be politically correct because she uses the term "colored" instead. She also has Alzheimers so we let it go.

Actually, there are many who have called for the NAACP to change its name, along with the UNCF. That's it's an out-of-date org., run by old men, stuck in the 50's & 60's.

Words are just that, but they also have power. I'm sure you have some heritage somewhere that has been called a name (one that was less than pleasing), even if it's over a divide of faith or what country a family is from. I don't think it's a small thing to try to considerate when it comes to the names/labels we use to refer to each other. Even my very racist, now departed dh's grandfather, knew "colored" was a derogatory term to use after about 1970.

My grandparents used the term. I'm not sure I'd describe them a racist. I've seen interviews with black people that are my grandparents' age and they themselves use the term. Honestly, I think it's just generational.

I wonder, though, if people of color or the term colored is moving towards the too old to really bother anyone spectrum. Patty wagon, for instance, doesn't really garner the Irish rage it used to.

Oh, my dad's mom and grandmother were both very racist in their language sometimes. It was so disgusting and even as a young child it made me sick! It wasn't a constant thing and just the way there were brought up to speak, but it was so unacceptable. :( I just don't know what to do when people around MY age say stuff like this. Ugh.

Edited by 6packofun
/./.

I hear young people around here use it and it isn't always with a racist attitude.

We certainly don't say it but it is hard to keep up with the appropriate term du jour. It makes me wonder what word that we use now is going to be considered inappropriate in the future.

I'm white and married to a black man. We have 6 children. When we moved, I began the process of finding a new homeschool group. The first one we tried bombed and this is just one of the reasons why:

The head of the group greeted me warmly. Then she took a long look at my kids. She looked back at me and said, "Oh wow. We have one other colored family that comes sometimes."

I was so stunned that I couldn't even think to say anything. No one in the group even skipped a beat. I was just reeling. None of these women were even close to "old".

I kind of expected someone to whisper "sorry about that" or email me after the meeting. Nada....

Not the group for us ;)

For clarification, I would not have been offended if it was an elderly person or someone who clearly didn't mean harm.

But we are talking about a room of my peers - I'm 34. I refuse to believe that no one in that room knew it could be offensive. (about a dozen people 30s-40s who didn't bat an eye when the term was used)

I wonder, though, if people of color or the term colored is moving towards the too old to really bother anyone spectrum. Patty wagon, for instance, doesn't really garner the Irish rage it used to.

I had no idea that term was associated with being Irish!

No. Not here in the US, unless you're referring to a what your four year old did in a coloring book.

Just because a term is used in the south, it doesn't make it right. The more people object and try to set them straight, the sooner things will change. Honestly, it's shocking. I don't ever leave someone with the impression that I'm okay with what they've said if I'm not.

I personally like your daughter's question. :D

Because it implies that there are "regular people" (shades of white) and then those who have somehow been colored differently. Perhaps if black people were just black and then white people were called "uncolored" people or "bleached" people it would seem weird.

It reminds me of how, when I was a child, there was a crayon color called "flesh." Naturally it was the light peachy color of many white person's skin. It would be interesting to think of dark brown crayons as "flesh" since that's the color of many people's flesh.

Well, actually, I guess flesh is really bright red like blood. Or maybe that's "blood" colored and flesh is more like what steak drained of blood looks like. But chicken flesh is actually more like what that traditional crayon color looked like. So perhaps it really was flesh colored. I have no idea what human flesh would actually look like.

But I digress.

The NAACP does have "colored" in it's name. There was an era when "colored" was actually the accepted polite way to describe black people/people of color. I grew up with "African American" being the proper thing to say, but now as an adult, I realize that many people who would be called "black" are not actually African American. And many of them are nothing close to black. So it's confusing. Colored wasn't the worst thing you could say, but I think it's best to try to stick with what a group is indicating it wants to be called. Women may not have minded being called "broads" at one time, but I think it would be unwise now!

What an interesting thread. I have to say in the States I would say absolutely inappropriate. However, we live in Europe and it's very different over here. I hear the term colored often and no one seems to think anything of it and black people are certainly not called African-American for obvious reasons. In fact the black people I know (who are European), think it's silly for African-Americans to want to be called this. One of my friends (who is black) thinks it's degrading. She said it waters down their American heritage. I'm not sure I believe that, but being Caucasian, I don't think it's my right to argue.

Very interesting! I was taught to use the word 'colored' and NEVER to use 'black', when I learned English 20 years ago at high school in The Netherlands.

I learn so much at this forum, I better keep reading here and never travel to the US for fear of insulting everyone around me :blush:.

It is...and it also became popular for women of different races to refer to themselves as "women of color"--but they CHOSE that reference and use it in a positive way, I guess. Hmm.

That's what I was thinking, don't hear "colored" anymore but have been hearing "[people] of color." Which in itself is interesting when you think about it.

Are you in the Midwest? I was shocked to discover what was considered "acceptable" when I moved here. Ten years later, I still reel. I still encounter that word (and not exclusively from elderly). I put on my innocent face and say, "colored? what do you mean? what color?" The speaker usually gets right away that they've used an unacceptable term (most of them know it is not generally acceptable, but think it will be okay since - ya know - everyone around them is white). Or, they figure I'm too stupid to continue talking to, which suites me fine.

When I first moved here I had to come home and ask my husband to explain some of the terms I overheard, because even though I'm sure there were racist people in my pre-Midwest life, I had never encountered some of the terms.

I always wondered why we couldn't just say people and leave their "color" out of it all together. Unless you are visually impaired it's pretty obvious and if you are trying to call distinction to a certain person there are plenty of other ways to describe a person.

Most of the times I have heard the word colored it has been in a derogatory fashion and in a conversation where that person was not present. Basically it was a way to talk about people behind their backs and discuss their race, when race really played no role in the topic of conversation. Just my experience.

I always wondered why we couldn't just say people and leave their "color" out of it all together. Unless you are visually impaired it's pretty obvious and if you are trying to call distinction to a certain person there are plenty of other ways to describe a person.

Most of the times I have heard the word colored it has been in a derogatory fashion and in a conversation where that person was not present. Basically it was a way to talk about people behind their backs and discuss their race, when race really played no role in the topic of conversation. Just my experience.

:iagree: It always irks me when people can't seem to describe another person except by color of their skin or nationality!

I don't use the term colored and never had. I use the term black since it is in contrast to white. But really, my youngest is a person of color= the color being red. I find it very insulting and stupid to use the term 'person of color'.

In terms of the silly flesh crayon= it never matched my skin color either. I wasn't and still am not peach colored- that is way too tan for me and also too orangish.

It is about as "acceptable" as using the word Gypsy. :glare:

When I moved to Philadelphia I first heard that term used to describe ACTUAL PEOPLE. Until that moment I thought that they were mythical creatures, like fairies. I kept saying, "what are you talking about? What do you mean?" I felt like a real idiot.

Not surprisingly, I don't much care for the term "gypped", either. (or however you spell it)

I tend to agree with your second paragraph. However, I did want to point out that being "black" or "white" isn't really about skin color, in the US anyway. There are "black" people with very pale skin and straight, light colored hair and light eyes. There are "white" people with brown skin and dark, curly hair. There are legitimate reasons to mention cultural backgrounds in discussions about both current and historical events, that would not make sense if heritage were left out of it.

Sometimes the Acronyms (like NAACP) become very powerful "names" themselves.

The ARC was originally Association for Retarded Children, then became more encompassing with Association for Retarded Children and now it is "just" the ARC, standing for "nothing."

Even though mental retardation is still an official designation for medical, education and psychological testing, parents and self-advocates are working to have the word removed from official use because it has been used in such a derogatory way by the general public to mean "stupid," "idiotic," and "loser," for so long now.

Colored has long been a derogatory term in the U.S. and "people of color" is a term of empowerment. Like earlier posters, I find both problematic because they assume "peach" or "white" are normal or status quo, and everything must be standardized against that.

My own children are not allowed to use color as a descriptor, unless they would use it for a white person, as well. And, they do us it equally for all races.