Menu

How much do you spend at RR each year?

I am just curious. I am talking about JUST rainbow resource, not the many other places (if you are like me LOL)

I spend about 7-800 a year for school. I do not make it all in 1 order though. I usually buy all our consumables from them with tax returns (that is the single most expensive oder) then I do enough every couple months to get the free shipping til I have everything we need. We are almost there. 1 more order if I ever get my catalog LOL

OK I had to go back and edit my numbers LOL..... Might even be a bit more:confused:

Nothing.

Their backorder policy is so awful that I only do business with them if I have no other options.

This has scared me so that I haven't ordered anything from them yet.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
This has scared me so that I haven't ordered anything from them yet.

What's wrong with their back order policy? They will hold the order a week in case the back order comes in but if it doesn't they send out the order and send the back ordered item when it comes in.

What's wrong with their back order policy? They will hold the order a week in case the back order comes in but if it doesn't they send out the order and send the back ordered item when it comes in.

I think she is referring to their old policy. At one time they would an order until the back ordered item would come in, with no notice to the customer, whatsoever. Their customer service has improved over the years.

I spend between $500 and $1,000/year at RR, typically.

That's what they've always done for me. I've certainly experienced worse from other companies. :confused:

FWIW, I've never had anything but fantastic customer service from the ladies at RR. Good thing, I guess, considering how much I spend there each year. :tongue_smilie:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I think she is referring to their old policy. At one time they would an order until the back ordered item would come in, with no notice to the customer, whatsoever. Their customer service has improved over the years.

I spend between $500 and $1,000/year at RR, typically.

Wow, I wouldn't like that either! It must have been a fair amount of time ago because I don't ever remember it being like that, or maybe I just didn't have anything back ordered while it was like that.

They do not keep up to date in-stock lists and can't tell you what is on backorder and what isn't. Then they keep the money for backordered items and won't give it back until you call and ask for it.

I would rather do business with someone else.

From their website:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/policyfaq.php?sid=1276738397-1538019#b4

Backorder Policy

We charge for the entire order up front and then ship backorders at no additional charge. If you choose to cancel a backorder after your initial order has shipped, please specify how you want the money for the backorder(s) refunded to you.

An item may sometimes be on publisher backorder for quite a long time as publishers change their expected due dates. You can call or e-mail us at any time to cancel such backorders and receive a refund.

I ordered from them for the 1st time a few months ago. It seemed to be the cheapest place to order R.E.A.L Science and a few of the things I needed to go with it.

Amazon is my downfall. My goodness Amazon gets some cash from me!

edited to actually answer the ? LOL I spent less than $100

Edited by AppleGreen
missed ?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
They do not keep up to date in-stock lists and can't tell you what is on backorder and what isn't. Then they keep the money for backordered items and won't give it back until you call and ask for it.

I would rather do business with someone else.

From their website:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/policyfaq.php?sid=1276738397-1538019#b4

Backorder Policy

We charge for the entire order up front and then ship backorders at no additional charge. If you choose to cancel a backorder after your initial order has shipped, please specify how you want the money for the backorder(s) refunded to you.

An item may sometimes be on publisher backorder for quite a long time as publishers change their expected due dates. You can call or e-mail us at any time to cancel such backorders and receive a refund.

Doesn't seem significantly different from other places I order from:confused: Some are better but there are definitely some that are worse.

Most places I deal with don't charge you for items until they ship. And they tell you when that happens by email.

Amazon only charges when they ship and gives accurate stocking information..

Home Science Tools and Christian Book Distributors don't allow orders of items not in stock.

I choose to deal with them instead.

At least $300 a year. :) I have had an order with a backordered item once. My order was shipped timely with a notice the item was on backorder. I could have asked for a refund, but chose to wait on the item and they did ship it separately at their own cost. No biggie to me! What exactly would one expect the policy to be? I'm curious because they are the only company, aside from Dick Blick, that I have mail ordered from.

I spent around $500 - $1000/ year. But my first order from RR run about $600 and the rest are scattered around the year. I try to order early especially the important stuff to avoid back order issues. And I always call to order and ask if what I want will be back ordered and if it is, I try to order from CBD.

Wow - I'm feeling cheap! Usually I get right to the $150 mark, this year I only spent $35 with them. I only spend about $300 a year for school for both boys (I buy quite a lot used off e-bay). The only year I really went over that was when we bought our microscope!

Most places I deal with don't charge you for items until they ship. And they tell you when that happens by email.

Amazon only charges when they ship and gives accurate stocking information..

Home Science Tools and Christian Book Distributors don't allow orders of items not in stock.

I choose to deal with them instead.

I also go through Amazon and CBO. I've never bought from RR but I did get their huge catalog in the mail yesterday.

If you pay them an extra $10 for "expedited warehouse handling", they will ship whatever is available from your order within 24 hours. I always do it....it's worth it to me; especially if I have a large order.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

In the past I've spent about $200 a year, but this year it was maybe $50. I have started to prefer CBD if Amazon doesn't have it. I have Amazon prime so if I can get it that way I will. I also like that CBD shows if it's in stock on the item listing. Another Plus is that CBD orders arrive much quicker than RR orders.

I spent right at $150 this year to get free shipping. I think I got most of what I need from them for next year too, so I think I'll be able to skip a year or two. I've received great customer service from them (I ask a lot of questions!) but I do get things cheaper elsewhere and am always trying to maximize my free shipping.

Wow-- I didnt think their back order policy was bad at all. I had something back ordered with my 2nd order for next year a few months ago- I forgot what- but it was a problem with the publisher not RR itself. I was fine with it (other than I am a curriculum junkie and I couldnt wait to get it in my hands :lol:)

I order about 3 times a year in increments of $150-$250 each time. So, probably anywhere from $500-$700/year. They are usually cheaper than even Amazon and CBD (I always check), so I just have a wishlist going all the time and order when I need something on my wishlist or am ready to spend 150 bucks.

My experience with backorders is that they send an email letting me know that something is on backorder...I receive the rest of the order within a week...I get the item on backorder usually within a week of the initial package. No big deal, but I order in advance so I don't need things right away. Customer service has been very good. Twice, I've decided to get something a few hours after I completed my order online, and I call and get it added to my order, no problem.

I agree. I just think they should get on board with real-time stock.

This year, I chose to shop with CBD. I emailed them to get a free shipping code.

I also hated waiting so long from Rainbow Resource. They should hire part-time workers during the bust season.

If I can get it cheaper at Amazon, I buy from Amazon. I have prime free 2-day shipping.

Nothing.

Their backorder policy is so awful that I only do business with them if I have no other options.

I usually order at least $150 a couple of times a year from them. I place my order online and then if I need something right away, I will call the day after placing my order and confirm that is in stock. If it isn't, then I can deal with it while talking to a live person. If I don't need my stuff right away, then I just wait till I receive my packing slip and see if there are any back orders and decide if I want to wait or not. They are always very helpful and very nice. In all my dealings with them for over 15 years, I have never felt like they were not trying to make me as happy as possible, whatever the situation.

Just my experience,

Joy

I place 2 or 3 orders per year and only when I have $150 worth of stuff for free shipping, so probably $300-$500 per year. If you need to buy a lot of books for history (we use Biblioplan) or literature, RR is usually cheaper than Amazon. I order well in advance of when I need the materials so back order issues don't really bother me. The occasional back-ordered item usually arrives the next week anyway.

I'll probably spend about $150 there this year. I'm actually rather disappointed that they don't carry a number of the things I need: CW primer, for example.

:iagree:

I can usually find the $150 worth of stuff to order to get the free shipping, but they don't carry a lot of items that I want.

Never bought from them. I have to admit (and these are separate issues) I am irked by their reviews and how insulting they seem to non-creationists.

This kind of bothers me also, but I just use their "warnings" about evolutionary content as recommendations for certain books :lol:.

It's really hard for me to resist their low prices. :blushing:

Yes, but most companies actually know if an item is in stock first.

This isn't always true. I buy a lot from Amazon and Christian Book, and I have had surprise back orders with both companies. I ordered Christmas presents from Amazon last year, and I had something that was on back ordered that wasn't realized until I had completed my order. Now, Amazon didn't charge me until it had shipped. When I placed the order, it read "Item in stock". Because these were gifts, I made sure I ordered stuff that was in stock.

RR back order policy doesn't bother me, but I always spend enough to get free shipping. I just had a large order with Christianbook and spent over $20 just on shipping. In that instance, it would bother me to hold an entire order for one back order. But, with free shipping, it makes sense to hold an order for 5 days. Like someone said, you can pay $10 to expedite you're order.

On orders under $150, and you pay shipping, then, I probably would be irritated if they didn't send my order minus the back order right away.

That's what they've always done for me. I've certainly experienced worse from other companies. :confused:

FWIW, I've never had anything but fantastic customer service from the ladies at RR. Good thing, I guess, considering how much I spend there each year. :tongue_smilie:

Same here. I always call the next day to see if I have any backorders, and they are so friendly. I don't mind the extra call, because they are so inexpensive. Waiting a week for back orders in exchange for free shipping is worth it to me, too.

I suppose they could upgrade to some fancy shipping system, but then they might have to raise prices or stop hauling all their products to conventions for us to gawk at (like many other companies have quit doing. :glare:)

I place 4-5 $150+ dollar orders per year, 1 of which is usually a gift order, the rest school.

This is about what we order. I place orders throughout the spring and summer as I decide on subjects and make plans, then I usually order once at Christmas and another time mid-year for things that we need to replace (vocab workbooks, etc.)

This kind of bothers me also, but I just use their "warnings" about evolutionary content as recommendations for certain books :lol:.

It's really hard for me to resist their low prices. :blushing:

I'm not Christian, nor creationist, and their reviews don't bother me at all. Its made obvious they are Christian and they hold certain beliefs. I see nothing wrong with them stating if something is secular or isn't, creationist or has evolutionary content. It is what it is and it takes all kinds. I'd rather know personally as well, because I too veer away from materials that aren't in line with my beliefs. Now if they refused to carry any secular or evolutionary content materials then I would take offense and not order from them. :)

I'm not Christian, nor creationist, and their reviews don't bother me at all. Its made obvious they are Christian and they hold certain beliefs. I see nothing wrong with them stating if something is secular or isn't, creationist or has evolutionary content.

It is their tone I dislike. And they need an editor very badly.

In re: to their backorder policy - I normally will order just enough from places to get free shipping. So, if something becomes backordered from my order and I need to cancel and order elsewhere, I was told that I would have to pay the shipping for the rest of my order. That kind of defeated the whole purpose of ordering from them, IMO.

Edited by Guest

I know what their backorder policy is, but I ordered from them last week and had an item on backorder. They sent me an email the next day telling me what was on backorder and haven't charged me for it yet since nothing has shipped yet.

I order 1 order from them each year of about $200 - $400 which covers most things for two kids including paper, pencils and art supplies which covers most of my year - except what I can get cheaper at Amazon which we won't discuss how much I spend ;) I even refuse to look at my order totals for the year from them.