Menu

What do you teach your boys...

about wiping after using the bathroom?

My ds (almost 3yo) just learned to use the potty. Dh says boys don't wipe unless they poop. I think that it's kinda gross to drip in his underwear and then have a lovely urine smell about him. He thinks I am "making him be a girl" by letting him use a bit of tissue to wipe. Am I? What did you teach your boys?

I taught mine to wipe at first so they could get the hang of going to the bathroom and not have to worry. Eventually dh taught ours to shake it so he wouldn't have the drips. When the little goes with me he still likes to wipe it so I just let him. I am sure as he gets older he will stop wiping.

Dh helped with potty training our boys because growing up with all girls, I was clueless. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, our boys have been taught to shake it off/tap it really well until there aren't any leftover drips. As dh put it when I originally mentioned wiping the tip with TP, "they do not offer TP at urinals". I thought that was a good point. :D

Yeah, I'd go with your dh -- but ask him to help coach your ds so he learns to shake dry (or whatever those strange creatures do, lol).

:iagree:Dh is in charge of teaching those ins-and-outs even though I handle the bulk of potty training (being home and all). I do make them sit down until they're about 5 or so. Dh agrees with that so no problems there. I don't potty train until around 3.5, so I haven't encountered urine-smelling undies unless there's been an accident. My youngest seems like he might be interested sooner or later, so I'll have to see how that goes.

I think your husband would know how to pee. :)

Yes, they wiggle it a little at the end to get the last drips. No wiping unless they poop. (unless you count wiping the drips on the toilet. LOL

I'm pretty sure my boys just figured out the shake thing on their own.

My ds (almost 3yo) just learned to use the potty. Dh says boys don't wipe unless they poop. I think that it's kinda gross to drip in his underwear and then have a lovely urine smell about him. He thinks I am "making him be a girl" by letting him use a bit of tissue to wipe. Am I? What did you teach your boys?

I've PT'ed 3 boys here (oldest 6 youngest almost 3). DH doesn't wipe for only pee, neither does my oldest. My other two do wipe because they're too little to do the shake thing right. How is wiping pee "making him be a girl"? If there is pee on you then you need to get it off before putting your pants back on, no? When the shake doesn't work, you need to wipe. It's not a gender issue, it's a cleanliness issue. Seems like a strange thing to get all "manly" about.

I don't see any reason to do anything just because that's what "everyone" does. I have seen enough boys and men with drops on the outside of their pants to believe that a "wiggle" gets rid of the urine. I think if you wipe your son and, at some point, he doesn't feel like wiping any more, he will be able to figure out how to stop (namely, by not wiping).

Since I'm the one that takes our 3, almost 4, year old, I teach a dab of paper for the last drops. At the age the shake usually results in drops on the hand or elsewhere. I'm with teaching what you feel right about and not just what others are doing. We are also a house full of sitting boys while at home.

I taught my boys to wipe. I hate when they "shake" and then just pull up their underwear!!!!!! I just hate the idea that when my boys shake, they get drips on the wall-LOL. I rather they wipe when possible and just stand there a few seconds more to let the urine drip off or to tap gently if there isn't any tissue near by the urinals in public.

Edited by AnitaMcC

J shakes it, as DH taught him.

I have *never* known of a man to wipe after urinating nor do I know of any other parents with non-circ'd boys teaching them to wipe either.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones, I have never had to wipe a butt. J PL'd at over 3yrs of age and has always been independent in the BR.

I taught all my boys to "shake " to get rid of the drip. It works here!

I agree with your dh. I have never heard of a male wiping after urinating until I read this thread - and I have potty-trained four boys.

Well, I've been married to two, who are 14 years apart in age, a good 30 IQ points apart, and born and raised 17 hours by airplane apart, different languages, different religions. One cautious and conformist, the other the Wild Man of the Mountains. I can't think of two more different families, and I'm assuming they both learned it on their own, through experience. But it isn't "wipe", it is dab. Three times. Oh, yeah, they are both sitters, unless in public or a rush.

My husband and I had this conversation several times during the potty training years. I said wipe off, he said shake off. I clean the bathrooms. I do not like to find drops of urine in places where it should not be. (which happens when little boys shake) So they wipe.

In public bathrooms where there is no toilet paper, they can feel free to shake all they want. Mom doesn't have to clean that. :D

**eta: I used to teach them to sit first, then they could stand when they were old enough to properly aim. Then my father in law started getting frequent UTIs. Turns out he is a *sitter*. His urologist told him the male body is not made to sit for that. It does not always let everything out, which can lead to infection. So I taught the younger two to stand from the get-go.

Edited by mrsrevmeg
added more info

We teach the boys (un-circ'd) to "wiggle-wiggle", but recently I have seen my almost 7yo using a bit of paper to wipe the tip and also wipe the seat. I asked him why, and he said the shaking doesn't always get everything off and he hates the thought of having pee in his underpants. So, it is his choice and he can do whatever he wants.

We teach the boys to sit while urinating, but then they can stand up when they want.