Menu

Rigorous or not?

Are you considered a rigorous homeschooler? If so, what does rigorous mean to you? If you are not a rigorous homeschooler please explain what rigorous means to you and why you have not chosen that path. Have there been any long term studies or observations on the benefits or negative aspects of rigorous homeschooling?

Are you considered a rigorous homeschooler? If so, what does rigorous mean to you? If you are not a rigorous homeschooler please explain what rigorous means to you and why you have not chosen that path. Have there been any long term studies or observations on the benefits or negative aspects of rigorous homeschooling?

People in our area consider us rigorous because we are systematic in our approach to homeschooling. Most of the people in our area are much more "hit or miss" with their homeschooling. I spoke about this in a previous post.

Edited by ereks mom

I'm more rigorous than some HSers I know that are more 'hit and miss' types as the PP stated, but I'm well aware that there are more rigorous HSers out there. Our schedule doesn't feel rigorous to me, it feels just right. We have to work diligently to get school done each day/week/year but we also have wiggle room to enjoy time off here and there, and our days are not scheduled down to the hour.

We are rigorous, because I have found it to instill a love of learning. I know that is the opposite of what most will say. :D

It's hard to describe rigorous. I didn't do ten different subjects with my 3 yos. ;) We don't do an excess of formal academic work when they are little, instead focusing on experiences - travel, lessons, field trips, books - and very, very strong basic skills - reading, writing, math. For example, my 7 yo doesn't do a formal science or history curriculum, but he has just finished the Narnia series and is halfway through the LOTR books. We don't schedule our time tightly or put our academics ahead of all else, though I know some consider that rigor.

We are on the cusp of high school, and we are positioned for a heavy academic load, with dc who are incredibly excited by this. My younger dd (going into 7th) begged to get to do Wheelock's with her sister next year; they study Greek in their spare time.

I don't know of any long term studies. I only know what I've seen. The few homeschool dc I know who are being challenged with a rigorous, lively academic life have the greatest thirst for learning. I know some who do a different kind of rigor, though - piles of workbooks grades ahead from an early age - who have no love of learning.

We have managed to raise Godly, loving dc with many outside interests while maintaining high academic standards, if I do say so myself. That covers most of the dire consequences most warn of. ;)

Edited by angela in ohio

I'm more rigorous than some HSers I know that are more 'hit and miss' types as the PP stated, but I'm well aware that there are more rigorous HSers out there. Our schedule doesn't feel rigorous to me, it feels just right. We have to work diligently to get school done each day/week/year but we also have wiggle room to enjoy time off here and there, and our days are not scheduled down to the hour.

:iagree:

I do not consider myself a rigorous homeschooler. I consider myself a fairly relaxed homeschooler.

When I think of "rigorous" what comes to MY mind (and I do realize everyone will have their own interpretation) is:

1. Making a kid spend more hours on schoolwork than I think a kid needs to- I'm not really for a lot of "busy work" and I feel strongly about giving a kid PLENTY of time to "just be a kid" and to play, imagine, create, explore their own interests, do their own thing. One of the reasons I pulled my child out of public school toward the end of third grade to begin with was because I didn't feel like she had that opportunity, spending over 7 hours traveling to and from and being in school and then bringing home at least an hour's worth of homework and then the whole routine of "it's a school night" and so on. I'm more for spending much fewer hours on school work and having more hours for fun stuff and exploring our own interests. This year for fourth grade we never spent more than 2-3 hours a day on school stuff (and if it was closer to 3 it was because of some hands on project we were doing), so when I see schedules like "we school from 9 to 3 and then we do this planned activity and that planned activity" and so on, that seems "rigorous" to me- and more than what we would want to do (or feel a need to do).

2. Making a kid do multiple programs for a particular subject and/or a lot of subjects to begin with. Seeing people say how they are doing this math curriculum but also supplementing with that math curriculum and doing this language arts program but also doing "copywork" and "handwriting" and adding in foreign language lessons etc, especially for younger (say elementary school age) kids seems "rigourous" to me, and again, more than what we would want to do or feel a need to do. It'd be one thing if I had a child who WANTED to do all that. Or if we were doing a lot of fun hands on stuff that allowed us to move about and have fun. But to make them do a lot of seat work because I feel like they're missing out if we don't do this curriculum, and that curriculum, and oh, that one, too, I don't know, it seems a little too much. That would be too rigorous for me.

3. Pushing early academics. One of the things I regret about sending my daughter to public school to begin with was how academic they were from Kindergarten on. How much time she had to spend at a desk. I wish she'd had more time to be a kid and just play in those earliest years. When I see things about a formal curriculum for preschoolers and teaching them formal academics and doing seatwork with them at such a young age, and planning lengthy kindergarten programs etc, that seems "rigorous" to me. I plan to take it much slower with my 4 1/2 y/o (who did no formal academics this year for preschool and will be doing the very laid back, hands on Oak Meadow Kindergarten curriculum). (And no that doesn't mean I think it's awful if a young kid who really WANTS to do these things spends a limited amount of time doing them). But if it's being pushed because a parent feels like the kid needs some sort of academic head start from the time they are 3 or 4 or 5, I just don't personally agree with that; I kind of think more along the lines of the "Better Late Than Early" book, I guess.

This of course is my perspective, I realize other people's will differ and that we will all make our own decisions for our families. This is mine, in response to your questions. None of it was meant to offend anyone and I hope that it didn't.

Probably many people would consider us rigorous. That's fine by me.

We chose to homeschool primarily because we wanted an rigorous, prep-school education for our children without the large price tag. Even with our rigorous academics, my kids still have more time to play and more time to explore their interests than they would have had we gone the private or top-notch public school route. We also are able to travel much more, and can do our traveling during off-peak times. The kids are much closer than they would be, and we've removed them from the very materialistic culture of many private schools. Dh & I both went to those top-drawer private schools and while we loved and appreciate our education, the other aspects of that choice are what drew us to homeschooling.

So... rigorous? Probably. Hasn't killed any of our kids' love of learning yet. :)

Edited by patchfire

This is us to a tee.

I probably lean more towards rigorous. I don't really like the term. It doesn't mean much to me. I'm more rigorous than some and far less than others.

I believe in challenging my children.

I believe in having them do things they don't *want* to do, simply because they need to learn it.

It really boils down to character for us. I want children who understand responsibility, hard work, diligence, even if the task is something they loathe.

Most of my friends think I'm rigorous just because we finish our books every year, school 180 days of the year (for real), and I expect my children to demonstrate mastery of the subject matter through projects, reports, etc. Frankly, I don't consider that rigorous. That just sounds like an education to me.

Hmm, I'll add that I'm not a late-is-better homeschooler. I don't like to wait until they are ten to teach grammar or math. I don't know. I guess I am rigorous.

That said, I'm not a textbooker or a schedule out the day in 15 minutes increments either.

Edited by Daisy

We are fairly relaxed. This past year we were more relaxed then previous years since I was dealing with a bit of burn out. Dd spent 5th grade mostly educating herself.

Now, next year I'm planning a more structured program of study which will mean that dd has to work harder than she has before. I think as they get older and into junior high/high school things should tighten up.

I would consider us rigorous. I have always offered a solid course of study in all the basics. As a high schooler she will complete 4 years in LA, math (not counting Algebra), science (not counting Chemistry, which she took in 8th grade), foreign language, and 5 year long solid courses in the social studies, plus health, PE, fine arts, and computer skills, etc. I call it rigorous, because the work load has been beyond the work load for similar subjects than our local high school. I was able to observe that much more closely this year with our exchang student attending that school. She was not able to take any AP classes, so I will assume that they would be better, but I do not feel that our dd has received a lesser education than children attending a school with a strong academic program. Our goal was to give her a solid foundation that gave her broad general knowledge, an ability to think analytically, and the ability to communicate effectively in writing or in speech. Another goal has been to push her hard enough in something to let her see that she can do more than she thinks she can. (You'd have to know her. She needed a few challenges and feeling of accomplishment to give her confidence. I didn't lean over her with a whip or anything like that. LOL) Oh, and another goal was to make sure she knew how to learn in her most effective manner, to know how she learns and to know how to find the materials or help needed to learn something new.

The fun can begin now. Today was her last day of 11th grade and I feel she is ready for college academically with just a little more time to enjoy being a child and to learn the things she wants to learn in the way she wants to learn them. Our goals have been met. I am proud of her. :)

I do not consider myself a rigorous homeschooler. I consider myself a fairly relaxed homeschooler.

When I think of "rigorous" what comes to MY mind (and I do realize everyone will have their own interpretation) is:

1. Making a kid spend more hours on schoolwork than I think a kid needs to- I'm not really for a lot of "busy work" and I feel strongly about giving a kid PLENTY of time to "just be a kid" and to play, imagine, create, explore their own interests, do their own thing. One of the reasons I pulled my child out of public school toward the end of third grade to begin with was because I didn't feel like she had that opportunity, spending over 7 hours traveling to and from and being in school and then bringing home at least an hour's worth of homework and then the whole routine of "it's a school night" and so on. I'm more for spending much fewer hours on school work and having more hours for fun stuff and exploring our own interests. This year for fourth grade we never spent more than 2-3 hours a day on school stuff (and if it was closer to 3 it was because of some hands on project we were doing), so when I see schedules like "we school from 9 to 3 and then we do this planned activity and that planned activity" and so on, that seems "rigorous" to me- and more than what we would want to do (or feel a need to do).

2. Making a kid do multiple programs for a particular subject and/or a lot of subjects to begin with. Seeing people say how they are doing this math curriculum but also supplementing with that math curriculum and doing this language arts program but also doing "copywork" and "handwriting" and adding in foreign language lessons etc, especially for younger (say elementary school age) kids seems "rigourous" to me, and again, more than what we would want to do or feel a need to do. It'd be one thing if I had a child who WANTED to do all that. Or if we were doing a lot of fun hands on stuff that allowed us to move about and have fun. But to make them do a lot of seat work because I feel like they're missing out if we don't do this curriculum, and that curriculum, and oh, that one, too, I don't know, it seems a little too much. That would be too rigorous for me.

3. Pushing early academics. One of the things I regret about sending my daughter to public school to begin with was how academic they were from Kindergarten on. How much time she had to spend at a desk. I wish she'd had more time to be a kid and just play in those earliest years. When I see things about a formal curriculum for preschoolers and teaching them formal academics and doing seatwork with them at such a young age, and planning lengthy kindergarten programs etc, that seems "rigorous" to me. I plan to take it much slower with my 4 1/2 y/o (who did no formal academics this year for preschool and will be doing the very laid back, hands on Oak Meadow Kindergarten curriculum). (And no that doesn't mean I think it's awful if a young kid who really WANTS to do these things spends a limited amount of time doing them). But if it's being pushed because a parent feels like the kid needs some sort of academic head start from the time they are 3 or 4 or 5, I just don't personally agree with that; I kind of think more along the lines of the "Better Late Than Early" book, I guess.

This of course is my perspective, I realize other people's will differ and that we will all make our own decisions for our families. This is mine, in response to your questions. None of it was meant to offend anyone and I hope that it didn't.

:iagree:

We move at the pace appropriate for each child...dd12 is a "school" person and does well at it. dd 8 is average. So I do not push either one of them ,yet I do a bit of "nudging" to help them develop outside of their comfort zones a little bit more. But it is always gently and done with their best interests at heart. When they start pushing back is when I quit.

We are fairly relaxed. This past year we were more relaxed then previous years since I was dealing with a bit of burn out. Dd spent 5th grade mostly educating herself.

Now, next year I'm planning a more structured program of study which will mean that dd has to work harder than she has before. I think as they get older and into junior high/high school things should tighten up.

:iagree:This is us, except my DD is younger.

We've been super-relaxed this year and it's worked pretty well. So much of this year was a reaction to her awful experience in PS. I'm glad we took the pressure off.

However, my DH and I have talked about it and we feel that introducing more structure and consistency for her would be beneficial, so we're doing a light 'summer school' to finish up some stuff and then in the fall, we'll attempt a more scheduled approach. But even that wouldn't be considered rigorous, just more structured (tentatively planning 4 days a week "school" for maybe 1-1/2 hrs max.)

Around age 10 I do want to introduce a lot more "rigor" to our homeschool. But, until then we'll :chillpill:, do a bit of work each day and just let them milk her milk her young childhood for all it's worth. You only get one chance to be little.

ETA: Forgot to answer the OP's question. oops. To me (Relaxed-HS'er) when I hear "rigor" I think of long hours, an emphasis on Achievement and Acceleration, and delving deep into many things (history, science?) at a young age that may or may not be of interest to the child.

Edited by shinyhappypeople

I probably lean more towards rigorous. I don't really like the term. It doesn't mean much to me. I'm more rigorous than some and far less than others.

I believe in having them do things they don't *want* to do, simply because they need to learn it.

It really boils down to character for us. I want children who understand responsibility, hard work, diligence, even if the task is something they loathe.

Most of my friends think I'm rigorous just because we finish our books every year, school 180 days of the year (for real), and I expect my children to demonstrate mastery of the subject matter through projects, reports, etc. Frankly, I don't consider that rigorous. That just sounds like an education to me.

Hmm, I'll add that I'm not a late-is-better homeschooler. I don't like to wait until they are ten to teach grammar or math. I don't know. I guess I am rigorous.

That said, I'm not a textbooker or a schedule out the day in 15 minutes increments either.

You sound a LOT like me!

We live our lives. We do a lot. We read a ton, alone and together. We travel. We discuss big ideas daily. My kids write, play instruments, read etc etc. We are very relaxed hsers (no forced anything, no busy workbook stuff). Sometimes people are WHOA by what my kids do/know. My kids are pretty cool. ;) I really have no idea what people mean when they use the word 'rigour'.

Edited by LibraryLover

We are rigorous, because I have found it to instill a love of learning. I know that is the opposite of what most will say. :D

It's hard to describe rigorous. I didn't do ten different subjects with my 3 yos. ;) We don't do an excess of formal academic work when they are little, instead focusing on experiences - travel, lessons, field trips, books - and very, very strong basic skills - reading, writing, math. For example, my 7 yo doesn't do a formal science or history curriculum, but he has just finished the Narnia series and is halfway through the LOTR books. We don't schedule our time tightly or put our academics ahead of all else, though I know some consider that rigor.

We are on the cusp of high school, and we are positioned for a heavy academic load, with dc who are incredibly excited by this. My younger dd (going into 7th) begged to get to do Wheelock's with her sister next year; they study Greek in their spare time.

I don't know of any long term studies. I only know what I've seen. The few homeschool dc I know who are being challenged with a rigorous, lively academic life have the greatest thirst for learning. I know some who do a different kind of rigor, though - piles of workbooks grades ahead from an early age - who have no love of learning.

We have managed to raise Godly, loving dc with many outside interests while maintaining high academic standards, if I do say so myself. That covers most of the dire consequences most warn of. ;)

You both said everything I was going to so I give the credit to you. That is exactly my views!! :001_smile:

I think most other homeschoolers that I know in real life would consider me rigorous, yes. But I'm not the most rigorous homeschooler I know, either.

Though I don't think the term "rigorous" is generally intended as a compliment ;) , I'll accept it anyway, because of what it means to me: specific academic goals, with a methodology in place for reaching them.

Many of the homeschoolers I know simply do not homeschool for academic reasons, and therefore do not have very specific academic goals or plans. They homeschool for very different reasons than I do, and therefore their typical day looks very different from mine. No surprise there!

I will say, though, one thing that kind of bothers me with some relaxed homeschoolers, is that they seem to promote a false dichotomy between the quality of the parent-child relationship and joy in a child's life on the one hand, versus academic rigor on the other hand. Well, I want it all and I shall have them and no one can stop me!!!! (Insert evil laughter here.)

Yes, we spend more time in a day homeschooling than the relaxed homeschoolers I know. But you know what? That STILL leaves my daughter with plenty of free time to pursue her other interests, to relax and be a kid. And our relationship is wonderful! We have as much mutual trust and respect and affection and love as any other family.

I most definitely and absolutely do NOT see academic rigor as being at odds with my daughter's other needs. A good education enhances one's life, it does not detract from it.

Edited by GretaLynne

I would consider myself a relaxed homeschooler using rigorous materials. We focus on four main subjects: math, English, science, and history. I use challenging materials for those subjects, and we spend about an hour per day, every day, on each of them. We also do a bit of art and Spanish, and DD7 takes violin lessons. OTOH, I don't schedule things very tightly, and we usually work about 4-5 hrs/day, never more than 5. We're generally done by 2:00-3:00, so there's plenty of free time for playing, drawing, biking, nature walks, board games, lego, etc.

Jackie

Is 'rigorous' a word that refers to very religious hsing, in particular?

I don't hear anyone using that phrase where I am (North East US), yet the children are 'wicked' smart (many religious) ;), and the older hsers almost always go to really nice colleges. (In case people thought they didn't. lol)

Edited by LibraryLover

We have not been rigorous but I now consider that a mistake. I have a 10 year old who is used to school be way too easy, has little interest in formal learning, and is as lazy about school as she can get away with.

Is 'rigorous' a word that refers to very religious hsing, in particular?

I don't hear anyone using that phrase where I am (North East US), yet the children are 'wicked' smart (many relgious) ;), and the older hsers almost always go to really nice colleges.

Rigorous-- I take that word as meaning, do you make your kids do all their subjects daily, do you make sure they have comprehension, do you make sure they finish their books every year, do you go back and re-do chapters they do not understand until it is understood. Do you count school days only if they do all their subjects, etc. Do you only count days working on school work (math, reading, english, history, science, bible and charater training, health, geography etc) as opposed to just reading and cooking, and counting that as a day of school. :001_smile:

Rigorous-- I take that word as meaning, do you make your kids do all their subjects daily, do you make sure they have comprehension, do you make sure they finish their books every year, do you go back and re-do chapters they do not understand until it is understood. Do you count school days only if they do all their subjects, etc. Do you only count days working on school work (math, reading, english, history, science, bible and charater training, health, geography etc) as opposed to just reading and cooking, and counting that as a day of school. :001_smile:

Are my kids totally interested in the world, and eager to explore it...can they read, mine for meaning, discuss big ideas and communicate well? Yep. Are they *interested* in knowing more and more? Yep. We've have never had to 'repeat' anything. Learn more, search more? Sure. But repeat? No.

Rigorous as you just described seems much too insitutional school-y. So, no. Nope. We're off to see King Tut in NYC, and it's none of what you've described, fi. It's a field trip. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

Rigorous-- I take that word as meaning, do you make your kids do all their subjects daily (nope), do you make sure they have comprehension (yep), do you make sure they finish their books every year (usually), do you go back and re-do chapters they do not understand until it is understood (only had to once). Do you count school days only if they do all their subjects (nope), etc. Do you only count days working on school work (math, reading, english, history, science, bible and charater training, health, geography etc) as opposed to just reading and cooking, and counting that as a day of school. (nope):001_smile:

I KNEW we didn't qualify as rigorous. LOL

I KNEW we didn't qualify as rigorous. LOL

But are your kids excited about learning? That's what motivates me to keep reading and introducing them to the world and all it's cool. :D When my 10 (oops, she just turned 11) yr old wants to learn about something, asks a question that shows intellectual depth, or asks me whether a word is Greek or Latin in origin, I get all tingly inside. LOL

Edited by LibraryLover

I feel that we're rigorous because we put systematicacademic learning as a top priority. This doesn't mean that we don't engage in other learning (field trips etc) as the opportunity comes up, but that we prioritise our organised programme of education, and fit other things around it. We're obviously different to unschoolers / natural learners, but we're also different to those who take an academic approach, but fill the bulk of them time with outings etc on a whatever-comes-up basis.

On the other hand, many WTMers would consider us lacking in rigour because we don't put in as many hours as many academic homeschoolers, and we never seem to fit history in...

My close homeschooling friend considers me obsessive about school. Does that count?

We have a schedule and our assignments are all scheduled out at the beginning of the year. My kids have check lists and know that they need to complete their assignments. I want them to be on grade level understanding in the subjects we are learning.

If that is rigorous, then yes, we are.

I dont consider us rigorous, however the fact that we did Latin, Classical Writing for Aesop and Homer, lots of history, and read books like the Iliad and Ivanhoe...made us rigorous in many people's eyes. But I have been hanging out on these boards way too long to think we are at the rigorous end of the homeschooling spectrum, especially the classical spectrum. When I look at those booklists people are doing with their highschool students, I really wonder if they are very fast readers, or have no life other than school, because my quite competent but average readers could not possibly get through all that.

My 14 and 15yo do about 5 hours of school a day including reading. Many here are doing 6-8 hours at the same age. My kids have a lot going on in their lives other than school, and much of it is just as important, in my opinion, as the time they spend on academics.

Edited by Peela

See, I don't do any of that (though I do *try* to get books finished), but I do consider myself rigorous in content.

My 6th grader busts his butt when he's working. I choose materials for all 3 kids that challenge them. There's very little "busy work" - nearly everything has a purpose. And I do expect mastery before moving on, though that doesn't mean re-doing work, but approaching it from another angle.

Otoh, my kids don't have a set schedule. We often start school around 10am. We tend to slack on Wednesdays. I don't grade right now, other than ds's math and Latin. We're very relaxed in that regard.

I will say, though, one thing that kind of bothers me with some relaxed homeschoolers, is that they seem to promote a false dichotomy between the quality of the parent-child relationship and joy in a child's life on the one hand, versus academic rigor on the other hand. Well, I want it all and I shall have them and no one can stop me!!!! (Insert evil laughter here.)

I agree. Some of the sweetest older teen/ mom relationship I know of are in the most rigorous homeschoolers. And as I said, we have joy in abundance; because as we like to say, "Life's more fun if you know stuff." :D

Okay... I sort of hope *all* homeschoolers make sure their kids have comprehension of the material. I view rigor more like this:

I choose materials for all 3 kids that challenge them. There's very little "busy work" - nearly everything has a purpose. And I do expect mastery before moving on, though that doesn't mean re-doing work, but approaching it from another angle.

We have very defined goals for each year and we have to accomplish them. Dd works hard (ds, not so much, yet :) ). We take the number of days necessary to finish the curriculum that we've chosen to accomplish those goals, whether the curriculum is purchased or pulled-together. That's not always the full 180 the state requires. So I certainly did count our five days in DC as school days. I probably won't count next year's Disney trip, though. :)

Edited by patchfire

This describes my homeschool very well. Thanks Daisy!

I would consider myself a relaxed homeschooler using rigorous materials. We focus on four main subjects: math, English, science, and history. I use challenging materials for those subjects, and we spend about an hour per day, every day, on each of them. We also do a bit of art and Spanish, and DD7 takes violin lessons. OTOH, I don't schedule things very tightly, and we usually work about 4-5 hrs/day, never more than 5. We're generally done by 2:00-3:00, so there's plenty of free time for playing, drawing, biking, nature walks, board games, lego, etc.

Seems as if the term rigorous can apply to either the content or the structure of a homeschool. Many of the posts in this thread have made this distinction. One can be quite rigorous in academic quality without being overly scheduled or confined to traditional, formal methods or materials.

No, but probably because four out of five so far have diagnosed learning disabilities so we are often working on areas of weakness and building skills, therapies, etc.. My kids take a little longer to learn the basics. I also take a more relaxed approach until they reach about middle school then raise the bar. They know this is how it works and are ready for the challenge when the time comes.

I find myself relaxed and rigorous at the same time. I am rigorous in the amount of time in our school day. I expect my children to spend about as much time in school as their peers. In homeschool land that is unusual. Because it takes little time to cover what the local school would we spend time doing more subjects, we delve deep, and do lots of hands-on projects and activities. I am also rigorous in our academic work. I want my children to be challenged. I want them to learn what I never did. I want them to learn things in depth as well as get a wide exposure to lots of different subject areas. Yet if someone would look at our actual school day I don't think it is as rigorous as a child who goes to public school and comes home to do homework. I value challenging my children at their levels. Busy work does not fit into our homeschool.

It isn't about getting my child to the next grade level sooner, but about expanding his horizons and letting things sink in deep. I am relaxed too in that I don't rush. I unschool during the preschool years and since we delve deep into subjects we don't need to rush through them. For history this school year we have spent the entire school year covering the time from Adam and Eve to the flood. For science we have spent most of the school year looking at the ocean in depth.

They have plenty of time in their day to be kids. Funny thing is they like to spend some of their free time doing what we do in school. Right now my older son is reading a space encyclopedia and my younger son is writing on his blog. I'll give them more time to "play" before we start school. Sometimes we don't start school until after 3 pm.

I agree. Some of the sweetest older teen/ mom relationship I know of are in the most rigorous homeschoolers. And as I said, we have joy in abundance; because as we like to say, "Life's more fun if you know stuff." :D

Love it! :001_smile:

Another term that I've been called is "anal". . . as in anal Classical homeschooler. . .:D

Wow, your friends are very . . . direct, aren't they? :D Mine may have said that about me as well, but if so, not within earshot of me. :lol:

do you make sure they have comprehension, . . . do you go back and re-do chapters they do not understand until it is understood.

Wow, I never thought of that being part of the definition of rigorous! I would be concerned about any "teaching" or "schooling" that does not include insuring comprehension and understanding as part of the whole idea. Oh, wait, that sounds strangely like my public school experience. Didn't understand that? Too bad, we're moving on! :lol:

No, I'm not rigorous. My oldest has a substantial workload, but there is still plenty missing. My younger kids do very little formal school work. I do see us being more rigorous about 2-3 years from now, when they're all more independent and mature. Most of my time schooling DS is spent keeping him on track, rather than actual educating. When he's not so resistant and when the girls are reading fluently, we'll take it up a few notches.

If you are not a rigorous homeschooler please explain what rigorous means to you and why you have not chosen that path. Have there been any long term studies or observations on the benefits or negative aspects of rigorous homeschooling?

To me, rigorous refers to time spent in formal education and breadth and depth of subjects covered. We don't do formal history and science every week. We don't start Latin before 3rd grade (and I probably won't start it with DS until at least 4th). I haven't read the book "Better Late Than Early", but my understanding is that he advocates a late start, particularly for boys, with the intention that a greater maturity level will allow them to learn more quickly and with less frustration. It's not my approach for all of my kids, but it definitely is for my son.

I am a firm believer in a rigorous educational experience for older kids, but I am also a firm believer in not giving younger kids more than they can handle.

Edited by Rosy

I have no idea and don't really care to label ourselves in that way, I guess. I think rigorous is a totally subjective term. For us, it could mean that each of our children is working at the top of his or her potential, wherever they are at, and that might look relaxed to someone else. KWIM? Rigorous could mean doing above grade level or much more work than is required/necessary or it could mean long school days that might even include the weekend. I have NO idea. I have a feeling that we are *not* rigorous homeschoolers by the standard(s) that is thrown around/implied so much because we tend to focus on a very wide range of life issues as well as academics. Character, learning to follow Christ in all aspects of our lives as best we can, service and volunteering, reading and observing and researching for pleasure without any attached assignment...lots of things rank right up there with pure academics. :)

Edited by 6packofun

Wow, your friends are very . . . direct, aren't they? :D Mine may have said that about me as well, but if so, not within earshot of me. :lol:

Well, it was one of those backhanded compliments - "I thought you were just one of those anal classical homeschoolers but you're not so bad". . .

The tone was not snarky but friendly. I prefer to listen to the tone. . . (and I have a bit of rhino skin).

I agree. It's very common among radical unschoolers to promote this idea as well. This is the same mentality that also insists that children who attend school do not have loving relationships with their parents.

I'm down the middle. I want our sons to have an excellent education...but without too much stress for their teenaged brains. I don't like what's going on in high schools now with all the emphasis on AP's. I see very bright kids in our area totally stressed and whose lives consist of nothing but academics. I think this is negative--they miss out on other development and we're beginning to find out that stressing a teenaged brain has longer term consequences than stressing an adult brain.

I have made sure that the kids will graduate high school with maximum options open, so for math, they go at least one course beyond precalculus (that's for my nonmathy kid). Their writing has to be exemplary and they read hard books. We do play the AP game. However, I stagger homeschool demands so that as much as possible, the stress is spread out. We are doing some "finishing up" of some courses over the summer that I put on hold because of the demands of other courses.

My kids have a good amount of free time, and I think that's important. They have extra curricular activities, but are not overscheduled that way.

But are your kids excited about learning? That's what motivates me to keep reading and introducing them to the world and all it's cool. :D When my 10 (oops, she just turned 11) yr old wants to learn about something, asks a question that shows intellectual depth, or asks me whether a word is Greek or Latin in origin, I get all tingly inside. LOL

Yes and no. Depends on which child you are asking about. I messed up with DD but learned from my mistake before DS lost his interest in learning.