Menu

Do you read aloud? If so, how much?

Do you read aloud?  

1. 1. Do you read aloud?

• Of course! This is one of our favorite aspects of homeshooling.
    • I do, but the realities of life inhibit me from doing it as often as I like.
    • Only for one or two subjects. ThatĂ¢??s enough.
    • Rarely or not at all. I just don't have the time with other demands.
    • I prefer that my dc read all or most of their studies on their own.
    • My dc prefer to read on their own.
    • Proverbial other.

Personally, I'd love to read aloud more, but two big things inhibit me some. First, the needs of our active 3yo. And second, our 10yo has auditory processing issues. The fact is, he retains more when he reads independently. On the other hand, I know he needs training in listening skills so I don't negate it all together.

So, please share your ways and thoughts if you'd like. :)

ETA: It is a multiple choice poll if you feel more than one answer suits.

Edited by angela&4boys

I prefer that they read on their own, they prefer to read on their own. Everybody's happy. :)

We did that when they were small, but with school, not very often. From time to time a passage or so if I think they aren't getting it, but reading aloud for the sake of reading aloud, not really.

I clicked, "Of course! Reading aloud is one of my favorite things"

This is true, but there are times when life just happens and we don't get to read aloud as much as I like.

I often read aloud during breakfast and/or lunch. This always goes over well and my kids usually are able to sit and listen a little longer when they're listening over a meal. After we're done eating, we often move over to the sofa for a little more reading.

I read history, science , Bible and literature aloud. (Not all of it, but usually something from those subjects!) My boys enjoy taking turns reading from a children's encyclopedia and they also like reading from their own Bibles. When the readings get too long, I chime in.

I prefer that they read on their own, they prefer to read on their own. Everybody's happy. :)

We did that when they were small, but with school, not very often. From time to time a passage or so if I think they aren't getting it, but reading aloud for the sake of reading aloud, not really.

:iagree::iagree:This is our house too.

Up until my oldest hit high school, I read history, science, and readaloud out loud every day. Once my oldest hit high school, I had my two older girls read their own science and my oldest read her own history. When my middle dd hit high school (this year), she had to read her own history and science, but she still listened to the readaloud. I still read history and science to my youngest. Next year, I won't be reading anything to my middle dd (she's the one who has auditory processing issues). I'll still be reading to my youngest until high school.

I read aloud every day. We use Sonlight so reading aloud is a must with my young children using the program. I do have a four year old and a one year old. The four year old is actually a very laid back child that will sit and color for hours. The baby is extremely active and vocal. I try to read with her around but I often have to wait till her nap time to get the read alouds done. I'm hoping to gently train her to quiet down during this time. LOL

My dh or I read a chapter book out loud during lunch (right now he's reading Fellowship of the Ring and I'm finishing up The First Four Years). The older kids and I rotate having "storytime" with the littles and reading books of their choosing out loud.

We have incorporated more audiobooks into our school since I learned that our ds9 has retention issues if he tries to read to himself. Now he listens to the audiobook while following along in the text. I have also started back up reading science and history out loud with the kids (the older girls and I take turns reading) since I have found that we have better discussions this way rather than waiting for everyone to read on their own and discuss later.

I had to choose other.

I love to read aloud to the kids, however, only my daughter likes to listen. My son (8) always says no when I ask is he wants me to read. My daughter always says yes. The baby doesn't care either way right now although when I do get a book out he like to try to flip the pages as I read!

So no, I don't do a lot of reading with the kids....perhaps I just haven't found the right books with my son yet!

We are fortunate not to have anything that has prevented or hampered reading aloud, and so we did and DO read aloud, even now well into high school.

As far as read alouds as part of high school: we still do our Great Books study for literature out loud together, which allows us to discuss in the moment. It is extremely enjoyable and been VERY educational for all of us!

And while read alouds just for fun in the evenings tapered off greatly once DSs hit high school, it was mostly due to just being so busy with so many other activities, interests, extracurriculars, etc. However, we still will do a few just for fun read alouds over the summer -- and DSs are 16 and 18. They still want fun family read alouds every so often! Now any just for fun read aloud is usually something funny or satirical, or is escapist fantasy or sci-fi.

Books are to be shared! :) BEST of luck in your read aloud adventures! Warmest regards, Lori D.

but that is only with one child. I would like to read a loud more but I don't have the time. We do listen to audio books in the van as we're driving to swimming/violin/piano. We have listened to losts of great books and the kids enjoy it.

I used to read a loud everyday. We would read Bible, lit books and history. But 5 kids at 5 very different levels as well activities has meant that reading a loud as gone by the wayside. I read to the younger ones, the older ones read on their own. I do believe in the value of hearing stories read, which is why we listen to books in the van.

Guest Cindie2dds

I love to read aloud as often as I can. It also helps me to know how much they are retaining and if my book choices are appropriate. Of course, my kiddos are very young. It is hard sometimes because my 3 yo interrupts if we are reading something over her head, and much longer than her attention span can handle. My oldest already wants to read her books silently, not an option. ;) I will probably read something aloud for a long time to come, even when they are independent readers, just for family togetherness if nothing else. I've tried audio books and they don't pay attention at all, maybe later when they get less wiggly.

I enjoy reading aloud to my girls but I limit our "sessions" to a half an hour each, maybe 2-3 times a day but not every day. They probably could listen to me read for hours but my voice can't handle that!

I've been sick since last week and have lost my voice so my big girl has been asking every day if I can read yet!!

We actually do read aloud quite a bit. We read to all the kids at bedtime. The older two separately, the younger two together. The kids all read aloud to me 10 min. every school day and we do audio books over lunch (I used to read aloud, but then I didn't get lunch!). Then there are the impromptu times the littler boys ask for stories and I usually oblige if I can. Everybody loves reading out loud and to themselves here so we do both....:D

I voted for one or two subjects, but that's only for my little ones. Those two subjects are most likely to be science and history.

My older two do all of their own reading for school.

We do read aloud stories as a family in the afternoons and evenings, but I don't consider that a part of school. We'd do that regardless of our schooling choice.

I still read to my 8th grade daughter at least an hour a day: usually half an hour of history, current events, science articles, or other material at lunch or in the afternoon, and then a bedtime book.

When she was little she could literally listen to someone read ALL DAY LONG, but my voice couldn't stand it, and after the fourth re-read of the entire unabridged Dr. Doolittle (one right after the other), the rest of me couldn't keep up either. We got her a tape player and some books on tape. Then and now she can listen for eight hours a day. She can even read a book AND listen to a different one at the same time; she'll raise her eyes from the book to chime in with a favorite line from the book on CD, so I know she's hearing it as well as reading to herself. I can't imagine how.

I voted one or two subjects. I'd love to read aloud more, but it hurts my throat. I read aloud history, science, and a few books throughout the day. We'll be using HOD and it has a bit of reading aloud, but seems doable for me. I also read aloud at bedtime.

At bedtime we do a chapter a day from a book. This past year it was A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snickett. We are on book 11.

I do read directions and texts to my children as well to make sure that they understand what they are trying to learn.

My children also read on their own for fun.:001_smile:

I picked #2 (I read to my kids but not nearly as much as I would like) and #5 (I prefer to have my dc read most of their studies on their own), which may seem to contradict each other. However, it really doesn't. I DO prefer that my dc read most of their studies on their own. I think it's important to be as independent and self-learning as possible, BUT I also think that reading aloud to your dc is very important. It draws the family together and also has a lot of educational value. I just prefer to read literature, poetry, fun stories, good historical fiction etc. that may or may not pertain to what they are studying, just for the family closeness and joy of reading together.

This year went downhill slowly for us. DD2 made reading aloud impossible while she was awake. I'm hoping to do better next year, we use WP so it's pretty vital. However we recently discovered audiobooks and are catching up very quickly!!!! We have been doing a LOT Of driving involved with our upcoming move and dvd's and video games got old in the car, and I felt like we were wasting so much time. In just a couple weeks' time we have now "read" The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Henry Huggins, are halfway through Henry and the Paper Route, and have listened to one chapter of SOTW. How awesome is that??? It's like we've discovered these wasted hours and filled them with life, even just driving 20-30 minutes around town. :) And it saves my voice LOL.

(FYI, if you ever get the chance, get the Henry Huggins series...it's read by Neil Patrick Harris and he does an amazing job!)

We listen to an audio book during breakfast and I read aloud before bed - a chapter from our literature selection and a section/book from whatever we are studying in history or science. I also read aloud for history and science during school time. That's enough for me! Wish I could fit in more but I'm not sure when I'd squeeze it in!

I really, well, kinda....sheepishly admitting, that I don't like to read aloud! LOL! It hurts- seriously...for some reason, my throat starts hurting and I just start feeling crappy. Don't get it- I love to read, and I read fast, and my DD reads well, but to sit upon minutes or half hour to read, and beyond? NO way. I'll read one picture book or two and that's it. If I HAVE to, I'll read part of a chapter book, like half a chapter.

I clicked that it's one of our favorite activities, but we don't read everything aloud. My kids prefer to read their own science (one also uses a CD of it being read aloud), we read some history aloud & some they get in their readers (Sonlight). I read Lit. aloud every night before bed, even weekends and holidays, year round, except when something else comes up & we can't--that part of our nightly routine we really enjoy though! And we read Bible aloud together, but we all take turns reading for that.

Do what works for you! I do think there's a lot of benefit to reading good quality lit. aloud in addition to them reading on their own, and I do think it's good to read the Bible together--beyond that, whatever works is what we'll go with here.

Merry :-)

I really, well, kinda....sheepishly admitting, that I don't like to read aloud! LOL! It hurts- seriously...for some reason, my throat starts hurting and I just start feeling crappy. Don't get it- I love to read, and I read fast, and my DD reads well, but to sit upon minutes or half hour to read, and beyond? NO way. I'll read one picture book or two and that's it. If I HAVE to, I'll read part of a chapter book, like half a chapter.

You're not the only one! I thought that I was the only one who got a sore throat and starting feeling crappy while reading chapter books aloud. :tongue_smilie: We did SL this year so I had to do a lot of reading aloud but I found that I really didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I did. However, my DS really enjoys it so we will continue but I'm putting a time limit on it.

We have read aloud time every day. What we read varies. It could be history, science, stories, bible, etc. I have a red bucket that I keep books in by the coach, and I change them every few weeks. The kids all love it! Mine are 6(almost 7), 4, 2, and 6 months.

Personally, I'd love to read aloud more, but two big things inhibit me some. First, the needs of our active 3yo. And second, our 10yo has auditory processing issues. The fact is, he retains more when he reads independently. On the other hand, I know he needs training in listening skills so I don't negate it all together.

I read aloud science during breakfast and history during lunch. My kids do better when they are doing something while listing (so do I), so meal time works. Then I do try to keep up a history RA, but I am really miserable at it. Lastly we have family reading time about 4 times a week in the evening. Generally my dh reads while the kids and I work on crafts. They went through Perler beads and now the rage is making paper Pokemon models.

My oldest dd also reads her own history, and the oldest two have additional science as well as the group read aloud.

My oldest is the only child that is a strong auditory learner, and she could sit and be read to almost all day. The rest are more hands on learners, so they NEED something to do while they are read to or they hate it.

Heather

I read aloud all the history and science for all my kids. I read aloud every day to my youngers for read alouds and many days for my older. Sometimes life gets in the way and my oldest will read to herself so I chose the second option, she is an avid reader so I try not to feel guilty about it.

We do family reading over the summer and I also try to do more read aloud with my oldest then, I sometimes even put aside a book from the curriculum just for summer. I love audiobooks too, so those are often thrown in when I can to save my voice. ;)

I read aloud one chapter a day from a good book, something I think the dc would enjoy that they might not read on their own.

Sonlight and other literature-based products were most not "invented" until I finished hsing. If I were doing it over, I would still probably NOT do that, but who knows? :)

Guest MamaBear10

Obviously, my oldest dd reads by herself and usually isn't interested in what I am reading to the younger ones but i read to them all the time, every chance I get.

I read at least one subject, usually History, to my ds, and then I read a book aloud to my children every morning and every evening and to my littlest one before naptime.

Right now, we're reading Charlotte's Web. It settles them down during breakfast so they can get into the "school mode" and it settles them down before bed.

Wow, ladies. Thanks for all of your responses.:) I appreciate everyone sharing their unique personal approaches and situations.

What I'm walking away with is a sense of lessening my self-inflicted guilt of not reading a ton of books, and concentrating on the Bible and one good literature book from the cream of the crop.

You'd think I'd know this since we're completing our 12th year, but with the annual spring bombardment of glossy catalogs, I get caught up in the whirlwind.:tongue_smilie:

I readaloud for either Science or History every day. I try to work in some "fun" books here and there but am much less consistant with that. I read to DD4 daily for at least 30 mins because she loves books.

I recently started playing an audio book while having DS read along in his head while we are in the car and I believe this is our new favorite method of fitting more "readalouds" into our schedule. Right now we are listening to/reading "The Witches" by Roald Dahl and the kids are loving our car time!

I read aloud one chapter a day from a good book, something I think the dc would enjoy that they might not read on their own.

This is what I aim for. Between DH and I we get at least this. I was just reading one or two of the selections from WWE per day, then started reading some other books to her because she didn't finish all of her Sonlight readers. I also read aloud from our Bible and related publications when we do Bible study. I read her geography lesson with her. Up until the last few months she has generally been very very resistant to read alouds that don't contain pictures.

We do read aloud stories as a family in the afternoons and evenings, but I don't consider that a part of school. We'd do that regardless of our schooling choice.

:iagree:I read to them at bedtime, but I would still do that if we weren't homeschooling.

I am reading Winnie-the-Pooh to both kids for bedtime<snip>

That's what we're reading right now too. It's great and the kids(DS 4, 6, 8) love it! I had to convince the older two that it wasn't for babies, but after the first night of hearing it they wanted more.

I really, well, kinda....sheepishly admitting, that I don't like to read aloud! LOL! It hurts- seriously...for some reason, my throat starts hurting and I just start feeling crappy.

It hurts my throat too. I usually drink tea while I read.

For history I read some to them and they read some to me, depending on the book. For science and LA they read to me. I do wish I read more to them in the daytime. I would like to read something non-fiction every morning in addition to the fiction stories we read at bedtime, but I have yet to implement that.

Yes, tons!!!

We read aloud almost every subject, plus we read for fun. Most days, everyone picks a book to read that isn't "school" (even me...and of course my picks are highly inspired by the good book lists like AO)

I have a very active 3yo, but he usually insists on sitting in my lap whenever I read.

I do think that when my 7yo can read whatever he wants independently that these golden days snuggled on the couch with a good book will be a thing of the past.:crying:

I picked #2 (I read to my kids but not nearly as much as I would like) and #5 (I prefer to have my dc read most of their studies on their own), which may seem to contradict each other. However, it really doesn't. I DO prefer that my dc read most of their studies on their own. I think it's important to be as independent and self-learning as possible, BUT I also think that reading aloud to your dc is very important. It draws the family together and also has a lot of educational value. I just prefer to read literature, poetry, fun stories, good historical fiction etc. that may or may not pertain to what they are studying, just for the family closeness and joy of reading together.
emphasis mine

:iagree:

(FYI, if you ever get the chance, get the Henry Huggins series...it's read by Neil Patrick Harris and he does an amazing job!)

:iagree:

We always have a read aloud going. Sometimes it's school related and sometimes not.

I always read history and science to ds7 and dd4 but the olders read their's on their own.

Thought some of you might enjoy reading this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/fashion/21GenB.html?scp=1&sq=streak%20read%20daughter%20michael&st=cse

We're on a new streak ourselves, after letting the bedtime reading hour (or reading two hours) drop off. With three readers and a new baby it seemed okay, but I really was missing our evening reading. Now we're at 45 days and counting.

We are a no-tv (for all of us), mainly screen free (for the children) family, so even with all the craziness of 5 kids and a husband who is often overseas we really can do it. A sure-bet for a nice end of the day.

My DD who is 5 has SPD with auditory process issues, so I can relate :tongue_smilie:

We typically try to do 2 hours of read aloud each day. I spread it out throughout the day and read to her as she plays. We do some narration with it as well, asking questions suggested at SCM. Even if she is building something or dressing her dollies, she can usually do narrtion well. I think often active or sensory affected children learn well while being active.

I have started throwing in some audio stories and using BibleGateway.com for the Bible as well. That breaks things up sometimes and gives me a break. I would say 90% of the time I get my 2 hours of reading aloud to her in and I hope to do it for many years to come. But we'll see.

I voted other.

I do not especially enjoy reading aloud. It makes me sleepy. :tongue_smilie: I do see the value in it though.

Dh reads aloud after devotional every evening. I do some read alouds, especially if I intend to talk about them much as we go along. Mostly, I play a lot of books on CD while we are driving. We've done a lot of unabridged classics this way. We live pretty far from the cities we do most of our activities in, and travel out of town fairly often.