Menu

I like to create opportunities for my children to develop their independence in manageable doses. A few days ago a few of us were in Barnes and Noble looking around in the children's section and talking books. I mostly chased the toddler and replaced the books and toys she pulled out while the 11yo and the 8.5yo shopped and read. The woman working the section shot me a few dirty looks but I thought maybe she was having a bad day and I was imagining things.

Keira began to need her nap so I thought I should probably go on next door to TJ Maxx and get the towels I came to buy, so I asked the kids if they were ready to go. The 11yo asked if it would be okay if they sat and read while they waited for me because they hate errands. I figured sure, why not? I gave her the extra cell phone and told her I'd be back to buy their selections. After 15 minutes I called to check in and they said the cranky lady was looking at them and making them feel funny. I decided to check out. 15 minutes later I returned to find the *itch in the children's dept. had called the police. She called in a false report that I'd left a 7yo unattended and in charge of a 5yo and left to go shopping for the day! I was speechless.

When the cops arrived to find the girls sitting quietly and learned their actual ages they told me I had done nothing wrong, but they were red-faced and hyped up on adrenaline from the initial report so they felt they had to make a point. I had to endure a half hour lecture about how if they *had* been 5 and 7 I would be in handcuffs and would have lost my children. Which is ridiculous because I would never children that young alone. One of the cops insisted that although I had broken no law but that the law is only the law and it doesn't go far enough. When I asked him what, in his estimation, was a reasonable age to allow a youngster a little bit of rope, he said he doesn't allow his 16yo son to go into stores without him. In his opinion, no child of any age should be allowed out of sight.

:001_huh:

The only effect of that particular conversation was the younger child bursting into tears in the car and swearing she will never call 911 if she's in trouble because the cops will probably find some way to blame me and send them to foster care. The sad thing is, she's probably right.

I realize I'm straying off topic but the point is, once the cops are called they feel the need to justify the trip....to *do* something...particularly when children are involved. There is no leeway if someone doesn't agree with your parenting style and has an axe to grind. Had I lost my composure or if one the cops was having a bad day I could have been in handcuffs and my 6 minor children in foster care. I suspect calling the police was a move by a bitter, underpaid employee to retaliate (in her mind) for all the wild, ill-behaved children she cleans up after all day long. She couldn't throw my daughters out for their behavior because they were sitting quietly, but she probably just didn't like it on principle. Otherwise, why would she blatantly lie about their ages? There is no way the cops would have come out in the first place had she told the truth.

I was already primarily an Amazon customer but this seals the deal. Every time I pick up one of the books I bought there the other day, I feel physically ill over all the possible outcomes...

Please no discussion over whether you, personally, would be comfortable with my decision. This wasn't a case of neglect or poor judgement, but a rational, considered weighing of the pros and cons, risks and benefits and a decision reached based on parenting philosophy and the maturity of the children involved. Child services pose a greater threat to the average parent than child predators do.

Barb

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry this happened. People's knee-jerk reaction to call CPS or the cops over differences in parenting styles is a significant problem. For one thing, CPS and the cops can't do two things at once, so for every ridiculous call they get that they have to check out, they have that much less time for kids whose parents are sexually abusing them, and other clearly harmful practices. Since she called the cops rather than CPs (oops, my caps key won't work), and made a false report, you may have legal recourse.

I would be lodging a formal complaint with Barnes & Noble....you have a police report to back up your statement!

That employee needs to be, at the very least, reprimanded.

Geesh :grouphug::grouphug: to you!

:iagree: I would also make the point that she should have been charged with making a false report to the police.

I would be lodging a formal complaint with Barnes & Noble....you have a police report to back up your statement!

I thought about it, but how would this work? I couldn't find contact information for a store manager, much less a district manager. I suppose I could go in and ask to speak to a store manager but then I'd have to face the same set of employees. Ugh.

Barb

I would lodge a complaint as well. You left your girls with a cell phone. If the store had a policy or if the clerk was uncomfortable, they could have called you to come get them. Done and done.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Kudos for keeping your cool. I'm hot headed and don't think I would have managed to stay calm.

Do you have a Border Books in your area? I've never had problems there.

I thought about it, but how would this work? I couldn't find contact information for a store manager, much less a district manager. I suppose I could go in and ask to speak to a store manager but then I'd have to face the same set of employees. Ugh.

Barb

You can call that store and ask for a manager, then you wouldn't have to see them.

Outrageous. I'm so sorry this happened. I would definitely lodge a complaint with B&N. I hope you have the name of the woman who phoned the police.

I suppose I could go in and ask to speak to a store manager but then I'd have to face the same set of employees. Ugh.

And you don't want to do that? I'd be going in with figurative guns blazing! You, and your children, are their customers!

Please, please, let me go on your behalf! :D

You can call that store and ask for a manager, then you wouldn't have to see them.

Outrageous. I'm so sorry this happened. I would definitely lodge a complaint with B&N. I hope you have the name of the woman who phoned the police.

I asked. Actually I said, "Do you happen to have the name of the employee who called? I would like to thank her for keeping a sharp eye on my children." Really, I wanted to know who to ream later...honey and vinegar ;) They said, no they don't get that information...they just get a call and they go.

Barb

And you don't want to do that? I'd be going in with figurative guns blazing! You, and your children, are their customers!

Please, please, let me go on your behalf! :D

I'm afraid they'll recognize me and give me the runaround. But I'd be happy to fly you out and have you get my back.

Barb

I'm so sorry that happened to you and your kids!

We pretty much go in (to Borders or B&N), grab what we're getting, and head out. All of the signs (in my area) stating "Do not leave children unattended" make me uncomfortable. I feel as though someone is going to kick me out if my 11.5yo is in the big kid section, my girls are in the mid-kid section, and ds and I are in the baby section... even if it's all in the children's section! It bothers me a lot, and it's all because some parents are morons. :glare:

:grouphug: I'm so sorry this happened to you. FWIW, I completely agree with your decision to let your kids have some freedom. Our society has the strangest ideas about what constitutes danger to children, IMHO. Letting two well-behaved, literate girls sit quietly reading in a bookstore is considered dangerous, but if those same two girls were in public school all day long, their minds and bodies would be considered safe and well-protected, from a societal point of view. Gives me pause.....:glare:

Oh you better believe I'd be calling the supervisor, area manager, etc. Absolutely. In fact, if you don't want to call, I'll be happy to call for you. I'd tell them straight up that if that woman isn't happy with children, she shouldn't be working in the children's department. I'd tell them she scared the dickens out of them to the point that they are not only afraid to visit that store again, they are scared to call 911 for assistance in any situation! I'd also tell them your children lost faith in being able to ask a store employee for help should the need ever arise. Honestly, I wouldn't feel bad about going to the store and speaking to someone directly. There IS a person in charge there. I'm surprised the store manager wasn't involved when the police arrived. Where was he/she??

I'm surprised the store manager wasn't involved when the police arrived. Where was he/she??

Completely absent.

Regarding this: I'd also tell them your children lost faith in being able to ask a store employee for help should the need ever arise.

Nice! I like that line. I will be filing it away for use in the near future.

But regarding this: Oh you better believe I'd be calling the supervisor, area manager, etc.

I cannot for the life of me find the names of those people. Knowledge is power in these types of situations and I feel like I'd have the advantage if I have those names to begin with.

Barb

I cannot for the life of me find the names of those people. Knowledge is power in these types of situations and I feel like I'd have the advantage if I have those names to begin with.

Barb

Post the location of the store, I suspect that someone will find the info.

I'm so sorry that happened to you and your kids!

We pretty much go in (to Borders or B&N), grab what we're getting, and head out. All of the signs (in my area) stating "Do not leave children unattended" make me uncomfortable. I feel as though someone is going to kick me out if my 11.5yo is in the big kid section, my girls are in the mid-kid section, and ds and I are in the baby section... even if it's all in the children's section! It bothers me a lot, and it's all because some parents are morons. :glare:

In my defense, I never noticed any signs. But I appreciate the heads up. I will be sure to have a ready defense in case it comes up. Hmmm, such as, what exactly constitutes a child? Any minor? Teens included? If not, what is the cutoff?

Barb

I like to create opportunities for my children to develop their independence in manageable doses. A few days ago a few of us were in Barnes and Noble looking around in the children's section and talking books. I mostly chased the toddler and replaced the books and toys she pulled out while the 11yo and the 8.5yo shopped and read. The woman working the section shot me a few dirty looks but I thought maybe she was having a bad day and I was imagining things.

Keira began to need her nap so I thought I should probably go on next door to TJ Maxx and get the towels I came to buy, so I asked the kids if they were ready to go. The 11yo asked if it would be okay if they sat and read while they waited for me because they hate errands. I figured sure, why not? I gave her the extra cell phone and told her I'd be back to buy their selections. After 15 minutes I called to check in and they said the cranky lady was looking at them and making them feel funny. I decided to check out. 15 minutes later I returned to find the *itch in the children's dept. had called the police. She called in a false report that I'd left a 7yo unattended and in charge of a 5yo and left to go shopping for the day! I was speechless.

When the cops arrived to find the girls sitting quietly and learned their actual ages they told me I had done nothing wrong, but they were red-faced and hyped up on adrenaline from the initial report so they felt they had to make a point. I had to endure a half hour lecture about how if they *had* been 5 and 7 I would be in handcuffs and would have lost my children. Which is ridiculous because I would never children that young alone. One of the cops insisted that although I had broken no law but that the law is only the law and it doesn't go far enough. When I asked him what, in his estimation, was a reasonable age to allow a youngster a little bit of rope, he said he doesn't allow his 16yo son to go into stores without him. In his opinion, no child of any age should be allowed out of sight.

:001_huh:

The only effect of that particular conversation was the younger child bursting into tears in the car and swearing she will never call 911 if she's in trouble because the cops will probably find some way to blame me and send them to foster care. The sad thing is, she's probably right.

I realize I'm straying off topic but the point is, once the cops are called they feel the need to justify the trip....to *do* something...particularly when children are involved. There is no leeway if someone doesn't agree with your parenting style and has an axe to grind. Had I lost my composure or if one the cops was having a bad day I could have been in handcuffs and my 6 minor children in foster care. I suspect calling the police was a move by a bitter, underpaid employee to retaliate (in her mind) for all the wild, ill-behaved children she cleans up after all day long. She couldn't throw my daughters out for their behavior because they were sitting quietly, but she probably just didn't like it on principle. Otherwise, why would she blatantly lie about their ages? There is no way the cops would have come out in the first place had she told the truth.

I was already primarily an Amazon customer but this seals the deal. Every time I pick up one of the books I bought there the other day, I feel physically ill over all the possible outcomes...

Please no discussion over whether you, personally, would be comfortable with my decision. This wasn't a case of neglect or poor judgement, but a rational, considered weighing of the pros and cons, risks and benefits and a decision reached based on parenting philosophy and the maturity of the children involved. Child services pose a greater threat to the average parent than child predators do.

Barb

I notice you're in Arizona....any chance this was the B&N at Arrowhead? If so....don't take it personally....their children's department is staffed by people who should never be allowed around children!

I hope, whereever it was, that you write a nice polite letter informing the manager why you'll never shop at B&N again, but instead will now do your shopping online at Amazon. He deserves to know. And maybe the book stores in town will finally get the hint....treat your customers like crap and yes, sales will drop to the point where you'll be out of business. Book sellers especially you'd think would treat us like gods...because most of them are on the brink of closing down!

I haven't bought a book at a local bookstore in probably 5 or more years.

You bet I would. Did any employee approach your children? I'm quite sure your eldest would have been able to articulate that you were in the area and had a cell phone in case you were needed.

My son is quite small for his age and that is one of the concerns I have about leaving him someplace, that people will assume he is younger than 12.

BN customer service

Barnes & Noble, Inc.

P.O. Box 111

Lyndhurst, NJ 07071

telephone: (800) 962-6177

e-mail: customerservice@bn.com

fax: (201) 559-6910

I would also see what the particular law in your state about leaving children unattended. I know some states have ages, so if your dc are above that or your state doesn't have one, they can see how stupid that employee was.

I notice you're in Arizona....any chance this was the B&N at Arrowhead? If so....don't take it personally....their children's department is staffed by people who should never be allowed around children!

Bingo!

I hope, whereever it was, that you write a nice polite letter informing the manager why you'll never shop at B&N again, but instead will now do your shopping online at Amazon. He deserves to know. And maybe the book stores in town will finally get the hint....treat your customers like crap and yes, sales will drop to the point where you'll be out of business. Book sellers especially you'd think would treat us like gods...because most of them are on the brink of closing down!

I haven't bought a book at a local bookstore in probably 5 or more years.

I hope you don't mind if I lift large pieces of this for my letter.

Thank you all so much. I have been on the brink of losing it for the past 48 hours, but I don't want the kids to know how much this upset me. It was traumatic enough for them.

Barb

Oh, I would be so mad. I find it amazing how people stick their nose where it doesn't belong and not where it does. I seem to always have people questioning things I do with my kids mainly for the reason that I expect them to be independent. I do not want to baby them within reason. It never ceases to amaze me the gall of people.

Just one more reason to buy online!!

You bet I would. Did any employee approach your children? I'm quite sure your eldest would have been able to articulate that you were in the area and had a cell phone in case you were needed.

My son is quite small for his age and that is one of the concerns I have about leaving him someplace, that people will assume he is younger than 12.

BN customer service

Barnes & Noble, Inc.

P.O. Box 111

Lyndhurst, NJ 07071

telephone: (800) 962-6177

e-mail: customerservice@bn.com

fax: (201) 559-6910

I would also see what the particular law in your state about leaving children unattended. I know some states have ages, so if your dc are above that or your state doesn't have one, they can see how stupid that employee was.

No, she never said a word to my children. In fact, I suspect she was eavesdropping and waiting for me to leave. I mentioned something about Target to Sarah because I thought Target was next door. Turns out it's two blocks away, so that's why I went to TJMaxx instead. When I called my daughter from the store, I let her know that Target was too far and that I was next door at TJMaxx. The cops said the report they got was that I was at Target. How else would they know that?

Age is not addressed by the law, so I'm safe there. The police said as much. I wonder if the above number would work to get the names I'm looking for. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out. I'm thinking on a Sunday I'll have a greater likelihood of reaching and outsource center.

BArb

I know you are angry and did nothing wrong. Having said that I cannot tell you how many times children are left at the library, YMCA, the mall etc when under the age at which they can be left at home alone according to state statutes. Yes it is wrong that they called without asking your children their ages and your whereabouts. Yes it could have been handled really graciously without calling the police as you were gone a short time. Yes it is true that children your childrens ages have been taken from public places and killed. This horror can happen in the sancgtity and safety of your home while you are asleep and it is terrifying to consider. I would be upset but willing to bet that they have had children left there for hours and had no reason to assume one way or the other . They opted for what seems the lesser of two evils. Surely the safety of a youngster is more important than our hurt feelings as parents when we have to defend our choices. It is certainly troubling that the one employee saw you with your children etc and still likely instigated the report. She had an axe to grind obviously. How scary and terrifying for all involved . I am appalled that no one had the common sense to have a brief discussion with your children to ascertain if this was even a situation that merited calling the police.

On a seperate note, you do not have to listen to the cop vent. He cannot hold you without charging you. Ask if you're being charged and when he says no, be on your way. You are well within your rights not to listen to the lecture.

:grouphug:

That is totally outrageous! Way for them to reward two kids sitting quietly in a bookstore :glare: I can't believe they didn't at least try to call you first (though it doesn't sound like they had any reason to in the first place...sounds like this lady has a grudge against kids in general). I don't understand what goes through some people's minds. I hope you're able to find the manager and let him/her know what kind of people they employ.

I'm so sorry this happened to you... I can only imagine how devastating this experience was for both you and your kids. :grouphug:

I can't believe the manager wasn't around. It would seem that they completely abdicated their responsibilities by not being present when the police were taking a report inside their store (I guess it's possible that this location has more than one manager and that the general manager wasn't there that day - but still, someone in a management capacity should have been involved). Based on that, I wouldn't even bother talking to that store manager or filing a complaint with them. I would go straight to Barnes & Noble headquarters. Here's their contact information (phone # and address): http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com/our_company/customer_service/customer_service.html

Regardless of what their policy on "unattended children" is, it doesn't seem that this was handled appropriately. If they do in fact have a policy, the lady in the children's section should have followed you as you were leaving and informed you of that - not let you go and then call the police.

They opted for what seems the lesser of two evils. Surely the safety of a youngster is more important than our hurt feelings as parents when we have to defend our choices.

I appreciate your thoughts and the police made a similar statement. But leaving a child in a bookstore for 30 minutes comes with risk that diminishes to almost nil. Employees practically outnumber patrons. As you point out, a relatively anonymous mall or even a neighborhood carries greater relative risk, although still tiny. A tangle with child services comes with a much higher risk of uprooting or even destroying a family. Calling the police isn't something that should be done lightly. Waiting in ambush and falsifying a report is unconscionable.

Barb

On a seperate note, you do not have to listen to the cop vent. He cannot hold you without charging you. Ask if you're being charged and when he says no, be on your way. You are well within your rights not to listen to the lecture.

I was kind of afraid they might decide to charge me. My husband was in California. I was imagining them hauling me off to jail with no one to come to my aid and kids to pick up from high school and preschool.

Barb

I would be livid! I would be upset with the cops too. The law is what you have to follow...NOT what the cop thinks is good or bad in his personal opinion. I would call B&N and ask for the mgr and explain the situation. If they don't want to do anything, I'd go higher up. Ask the Mgr. for the DM's info. My mom was a mgr of a store and my older son's dad is a dm. They HAVE to give you that information if you ask.

Then I would contact the police chief and tell him what happened too...tell him how you were reprimanded and lectured by an officer for actually not breaking the law. And how the woman who made a false report was NOT reprimanded at all.

GRRRR!

All of the signs (in my area) stating "Do not leave children unattended" make me uncomfortable. I feel as though someone is going to kick me out if my 11.5yo is in the big kid section, my girls are in the mid-kid section, and ds and I are in the baby section... even if it's all in the children's section! It bothers me a lot, and it's all because some parents are morons. :glare:

Yes, I feel very uncomfortable with the signage as well. I know it's most likely a CYA thing for the store, but I feel like every step I take is being watched. Then, of course, when the kids come with me to the other parts of the store for me to pick up a book or two, we get glared at there, too. You can't win!

Child services pose a greater threat to the average parent than child predators do.

I will say upfront that I am biased as I used to pick kids up for Child Welfare.

HOWEVER,....the statement I quoted is unfair, both to people who try to protect children while working for Child Welfare, as well as to those who were victimized by child predators.

I am NOT trying to be argumentative, but please think about that statement.

ETA: I am guessing that they HAVE had many incidents of unattended children being left (sans cell phone and much younger!) for hours on end. I agree that it was handled poorly. I wonder if the workers who are being branded with "should never work around children" perhaps LOVED children prior to being used as free babysitters. (Again, not by you, but by uncaring parents who really WERE looking for free childcare.)

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl

I was kind of afraid they might decide to charge me. My husband was in California. I was imagining them hauling me off to jail with no one to come to my aid and kids to pick up from high school and preschool.

Barb

Very smart move.

P.S. I'll gladly pay my own way, but very kind of you to offer! :)

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=8 All the law regarding children should there be any question regarding whether you did anything wrong whatsoever. Here is a link regarding the question as to when a child can be left at home which is usually used as a legal yardstick to when they can be alone in a public place. Weird I know but usually this is how those statutes are interpreted, the police are not lawyers and unfortunately once again , they misstated the law ...https://www.azdes.gov/main.aspx?menu=154&id=2122 They spoke as if it were cut and dried that if the children were x years of age by gosh, they would have been removed from your care etc. Horsefeathers. In case there was any question I was not implying you did anything whatsoever incorrectly. I was implying that thank goodness it was a misunderstanding and your beautiful children are alright.

I have been on the brink of losing it for the past 48 hours, but I don't want the kids to know how much this upset me. It was traumatic enough for them.

Barb

I don't know how you kept your cool in the store. Something like this would REALLY shake me up. I hope your nerves settle down soon.

It is a private business and they can do as they please. Naturally you can likewise choose not to do business there as well. It seems from the facts as the OP relayed them that there are indications that a clerk had every intention of causing the patron trouble from the outset. I wish she(the snoopy police calling intermeddler) would leave Barnes and come police our public library with her eavesdropping and related skills...it is so bad now that we have a "teen room," that I dare not leave my teen unsupervised. Hooligans and drug dealers have free reign of the place. It is public so the rules are different but my goodness. They have had to write up rules about ...are you ready?? No intercourse in the library. Seriously. Who knew that books were so exciting??! I thought that was just for geeks like me.:lol:

It is a private business and they can do as they please. Naturally you can likewise choose not to do business there as well. It seems from the facts as the OP relayed them that there are indications that a clerk had every intention of causing the patron trouble from the outset. I wish she(the snoopy police calling intermeddler) would leave Barnes and come police our public library with her eavesdropping and related skills...it is so bad now that we have a "teen room," that I dare not leave my teen unsupervised. Hooligans and drug dealers have free reign of the place. It is public so the rules are different but my goodness. They have had to write up rules about ...are you ready?? No intercourse in the library. Seriously. Who knew that books were so exciting??! I thought that was just for geeks like me.:lol:

Ewww,ewww,ewww. I guess I'm some sort of PRUDE for not copulating amongst the periodicals. :tongue_smilie:

I would be livid! I would be upset with the cops too. The law is what you have to follow...NOT what the cop thinks is good or bad in his personal opinion. I would call B&N and ask for the mgr and explain the situation. If they don't want to do anything, I'd go higher up. Ask the Mgr. for the DM's info. My mom was a mgr of a store and my older son's dad is a dm. They HAVE to give you that information if you ask.

Then I would contact the police chief and tell him what happened too...tell him how you were reprimanded and lectured by an officer for actually not breaking the law. And how the woman who made a false report was NOT reprimanded at all.

GRRRR!

I was SOOO thinking the same thing. I cannot believe they subjected you, in public, to a "Well, you didn't break the law, BUT IF YOU HAD, HERE'S WHAT WOULD HAPPEN AND WHY!!!!" lecture. I would be absolutely livid--possibly more livid than with the B&N people (who would be getting ugly letters from me all the way up the chain of command). Gah! Barb, my adrenaline is pumping on your behalf right now!