Menu

What are you changing for next school year and why?

I am sending my teenager to co-ops for everything....otherwise we both might go insane.

My 8th grader will take three classes at co-op next year. He will take a break from his other outside class (drama) for the first semester, but hopefully start back in the spring. I'm thinking of having him try karate in the fall.

Wendi

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are going to be using BJU DLO next year for all our subjects and will be staying with Megawords for spelling and using an additional vocabulary curriculum tbd. I am also going to add in a writing program when I can find one that I think will work for my ds. We are terribly behind in writing. I am very reluctant to give up CD and R&S for English and if needed will go back to them but from an economical standpoint it makes sense for me to use the BJU which I have already purchased.

Why are we going with this approach? I will have my two soon to be 4 year olds home with me and my son is extremely rambunctious and has already been dismissed from a preschool. He is into everything and requires a lot of my time and energy. I just cannot do it any other way. I am hoping BJU will enable me to keep my ds 12 home with me and that it will give him more than I can at this point in time.

I can say, with joy in my heart, I'm not changing anything :) Just adding a little.

Ditto! We'll continue with our core subjects - RightStart for math, Writing with Ease, First Language Lessons, Spelling Workout, and French Mission. Also continuing the next volume of Story of the World, science as outlined in WTM (Earth and Space), and Grapevine Bible Study.

I'd like to add Greek so I'm looking at the Code Cracker and Song School Greek. We haven't done anything formal for art (just an art box dd can use anytime and lots of projects with history) so I'd like to do something a bit more formal. And tea time with composers, artists, and poets just hasn't been happening as much as I'd like so I'm trying to figure out how to better incorporate that into our day.

Dropping formal writing/language arts. We're going to try an Oak Meadow approach without Oak Meadow, which as it turns out is also the approach in A Charlotte Mason Education. Good books, copywork, narration, illustration, all done in Main Lesson Books.

I may not use Saxon Math 2 for dd, still undecided. I love the looks of Saxon 5/4 for ds though (and so does he)!

We're dropping SOTW in favor of A Little History of the World. Still lots of good extra read alouds planned.

Moving to BFSU for science as opposed to studying one concentration each year.

I'm trying really to simplify my approach, and to make it both educational and enjoyable for the kids.

We decided instead to go with Oak Meadow. Less work for me, and I love the incoporation of art into all the subjects. We'll keep Saxon Math though, and we may use OM science OR BFSU (now that I seem to have gotten most of the cat pee cleaned off it :glare:). I really wanted to simplify, and the kids really like the looks of OM.

I'm just changing a couple things...

Moving from GWG to R&S grammar for the older 2.

After giving CW a shot it has just proved to be too much... so we've returned to WWE3 for ds and will finish that this summer moving into Level 4 next year. I'm going to introduce some Logic stage writing to him over this next year because he's ready. We'll just follow SWB's recommendations. So easy and doable!

I'm going to try and work in some reading strategies from the book Strategies that Work...

Other than that, everything stays the same! Yeah!

We're definitely getting more formal next year, and DD will have more seatwork she'll have to do independently because my schedule is changing.

I'm probably going to add mathabacus to the math curric we're already using, we'll be starting Lively Latin, we'll be moving from Word Mastery (phonics program) to Webster's Spelling, DD will have regular read-alouds she'll have to do (instead of when she feels like it), we're going to do more writing, both with CW primer and with the handwriting workbook we already have but often neglect. I'm going to use a formal science curric (R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Earth & Space) instead of making it up as I go along, and we'll have new topics and curric for history (American history), geography (Evan-Moor beginning plus a 50 states unit), classical studies (moving from Greek Myths to Bible Stories), and English Studies (we'll be doing American folktales to tie in with American history). I want to do more hands on things for Heathen Studies. DD will like it better.

I still haven't made up my mind what exactly to do for history. I made an outline of what I want to cover, and will probably cobble together various resources, mostly from the library.

I'm going to jump in and make this my 1st post but I've been lurking on these forums for several months. :)

We're changing almost everything for this coming year. We pulled my DS out of PS the last week of Sept. and I didn't have time to do a lot of research so I ordered the SL Core 3 Newcomer package without much thought. It was by no means a bad year but I learned a lot about our family's needs regarding homeschooling. Some of the changes we made mid-year but some will be new for our upcoming year. Our plans our in my signature.

My oldest will be a 12th grader next year. I am changing up her school to where she answers to someone other than me for everything. She'll take as much as she can at the cc and I'll have to find online courses for everything else. We butted heads too much this year.

:iagree:I am all too familiar with this! My ds and I struggled for parts of this past year as we were trying to get everything done and graduate him a year early. Boy, it was difficult to get it all planned last summer, we had quite a few heated discussions. We managed to work it out with a tutor, some online classes, and very little directed by me. I hope it's a consolation to say that it worked great! He got everything completed and graduated this past Friday night, YAY! Good luck with your senior!

I do want to have my books entered into HST BEFORE school starts this next year ...and have a pick up and go plan. I am going to make sure I have more ready made (by me) writing assignments...because this year we didn't do nearly enough written narrations.

I am making sure my dd does not slip through the cracks because her brothers are so needy...LOL.

That's all...

Faithe

:iagree: I have some changes, we will be using SCM for history and AO for our literature. We'll be using Mastering Mathematics for math, instead of Singapore, because it was gifted to me and I don't have to buy anything. We're switching to Systematic math for two of my olders because one needs a mastery program and the other will learn with anything. I will also be using Understanding writing because it was gifted to me and Teaching Reading at Home by Wanda Sanseri. We're switching to PAC Biology because we used there Integrated Physics and Chemistry this year and loved it! I think that's it. I do believe this will make things simpler for me.

I thought that I would not continue with Chalk Dust because DD is too advanced and the Charter School will not give her credit for moving onto geometry. I had second thoughts about this choice and decided I didn't care what the charter school said. DD will continue on with Chalk Dust at her own pace.

I also thought I would take DD~7 out of Calvert Math, but on second thought, and after looking around at the alternatives, we will stay the course with Calvert Math.

The biggest challenge for us will be doing school while Dad works from home. I did not realize how disruptive his presence would be to home schooling until he started working from home this past fall. If anyone has any advice on this issue, I am all ears.

I'm re-thinking my whole mathematics strategy. I'm almost 100% sure I'll be dropping MCP Math for Japanese Math and Math Mammoth next year. I'll also stick with Miquon math labs. Still neervous about dropping a math program, though. However, ds is only six and still in first grade math. No harm done, heh?

I know we'll be adding Muzzy to the Spanish mix, and we'll keep listening to The Easy Spanish cd and doing the activities (and this time I'm printing all of the sheets ahead of time!).

After not changing much over the past few years, we are making or considering some major changes for this coming year!

7th grade to 8th grade -- moving to more online classes in preparation for The Potter's School Classical Track for 9th grade. In addition, she is asking for a history textbook (although, granted, she doesn't really know what she is asking for) instead of TOG's history, and we are likely to do this to free up time to handle the online classes.

5th grade to 6th -- dropping co-op classes, adding 2 online classes (TPS Writer's Workshop & First Form Latin), using BJU for science (for a variety of topics) after several years of Apologia Elementary, trying CLE Language Arts instead of R & S English (ds has loved CLE math), & considering a textbook spine for history. Also considering CC for him.

It's a lot of changes, but I think it's just time! Most things we've used have worked well for the time that we used them.

Keeping: CLE Math for ds, Vocabulary from the Classical Roots, "living books" for literature + history supplements, Elementary Greek (finish volume 3), piano, guitar, choir, 100EL & FIAR for K dd.

We are doing everything new. The olders have finished their first set of CLE Math and will continue on. They will also be using Oak Meadow 6 with some additions to science and possibly english.

My younger two will be in OM 1. We will see how that goes with the new 5yr old. He may just come and go.

I will be teaching my friend's daughter, too.

It should prove an interesting year.

Wildiris, my dh works from home, too. The best way we have found for it to work is he locks himself in our bedroom and we ignore him. We don't have a separate study. The kids DO adjust to dad being home but not available. He also has a set end time each day that we all look forward to. He comes out for lunch and that is it, generally. The up side is he sets his own hours and is sometimes available for going to the library or such. It takes time and it does get easier as everyone adjusts to it. HTH!

Our biggest change will be for history.

I'm not going to hodge-podge it this year. I find myself spending *way* too much time when doing lesson plans for this subject alone. I haven't decided what we'll use yet (although Biblioplan is in the lead), but I'm looking forward to reclaiming some personal time and not being a slave to lesson planning! Lol. :)

For older ds, we are going back to HOD for the history and science. For younger son, we are dropping formal phonics and just finishing up ETC (since he is reading really well and far above grade level). We are sticking with CLE math for both boys. Younger son is trying out Elemental Science for the first time this year.

We are changing everything except math and phonics. :D We use Singapore and my own phonics (mix of McGuffey, Writing Road to Reading, and ETC).

After years of using FIAR, we are switching to HOD. I'm so tired of lesson planning and teaching the same lessons over and over. :blush: I'm so excited about next year and love all our materials! It's amazing to have everything planned out and seeing an end to my year. When I plan week-to-week (or day-to-day) it feels like I'm continuing on to eternity. We're also adding Latin and Keepers of the Faith.

First of all, I have been cleaning, decluttering big time, and organizing. I am working on chores and a more regularly cleaned house for all of us. Believe me, this is big around here. I am trying to establish better habits in many areas, but chores and cleanliness top the list. I feel this is one of our big goals over the spring/summer. Plenty of time to get that established before fall.

So--1) chores

2) habits

3) eating together as a family on a regular basis (this actually goes with habits)

4) training my older ds (will be 10) to work towards more independence with schoolwork

5) curriculum changes:will be using a blend of Oak Meadow, TOG, and a teeny bit of Ambleside

6) dropped out of our coop for next year

7) considering using Homeschool Tracker

And I think the question was why as to the changes? Changes were needed!! Messy house, overworked mama, underworked kids, bad bad habits around here (my fault, I know). As to the curriculum changes, younger ds was not really an Ambleside type. Things got sluggish midyear. I think this blend will give enough variety and meet dc needs better.

We'll be moving away from BJU Distance Learning except for Math. A teacher on a screen will still teach writing and grammar as well. They’ll both use IEW and Cozy Grammar.

We’ll all be back together for history and Bible using VP cards and spines, no teacher manual though. I want it to be relaxed with lots of hands on provided by Hands and Hearts history kits, and Hand’s of a Child lapbooks.

Both will be doing Chemistry next year using two levels of Noeo Chem. I just wasn’t going to be able to handle all the young earth teaching in BJU.

So big changes for us again, plus an official kindergartner who will need more of the 3R’s, but very relaxed though.

I am switching from using a progym based writing text to using the WTM middle grades plan: outline, diagram, etc. I do plan to eventually use the progym, and I also do like Classical Composition and Classical Writing both quite a lot, but I'm learning the value of running a program that goes step by step so I can personally how my children do with every subskill. Anyway, WWE worked so tremendously well with my little ones, it follows that the equivalent would work well with my middles, right?

My challanges are in getting everything done without sacrificing quality. In order to accomplish the quality, I need to check the work more and keep on top of it more. To do this I need to really organize my time and materials well. So, my changes will be in those two areas.

Workboxes is not working for my organizationally challanged child. I'm switching to a huge 4" binder with tabs to divide the subjects. No work will be allowed to leave that binder! Then, I want to implement a meeting time to go over her work subject by subject to check the quality of work, and assign re-dos where necessary.

Wish me luck! No curriculum changes here - still lovin' K12.

I am streamlining my ds7 so I can add more students.

My crazy insane mix of 101 maths is getting whittled down to Miquon, supplemented with one CWP/day and RS Games 2-3x per week (I reserve the right to sneak in MEP occasionally in place of the CWP...who am I kidding?:lol:). I am adding in a bonified math lesson for my 5yo&4yo, combined (wish me luck with these two:svengo:and:willy_nilly:).

In LA, we are still focusing on basic spelling and reading for ds7...I'm just dropping the guilt over neglecting other stuff do accomplish THIS goal.;) I want to get through the recipe for Reading lessons on syllabication, and then I'll re-assess what ds7 needs next. I've learned a lot about what DOES NOT work for him this year, so we will be avoiding those things.

For dd5, I am ramping up her spelling & reading big time. My main goal for her is to just have a better routine so we can fit in a short formal lesson daily.

My youngest ds will be ready for some basic handwriting instruction with the playdoh and fingerpaints and sandbox.

Piano/Music is going to ramp up seriously for everyone by fall. It's time.

All the rest is remaining at a relaxed pace, learning through read-alouds and narration in a very CM style. I have decided to venture away from AO, and use books I've been collecting for years now...I just need to PLAN for that this summer.

I am making a few changes.... Mostly our emphasis will be changed from academic focus to biblical/worldview and character. Not that it will be less rigorous, just different. The one major academic change -history - switching out SOTW for MOH. We've loved SOTW, but I want the kids to have a better understanding of history as it relates to the bible.

I'm currently deciding whether to be more rigorous or less rigorous. Wish me luck with that. :lol:

I'm right there with you!

I am switching dd back to Oak Meadow for third grade. We've used different things for the last two years, and she really hasn't enjoyed school as much. Her favorite thing about 2nd grade was the Medieval Fair we attended (for about 2 lame hours). :001_huh: That was hard to hear. :sad: I'll continue with Singapore (and drop Miquon), SOTW (but only as a read aloud), and our cursive program. Midyear, I plan to add MCTLA Island series.

Before deciding to return to OM, I had considered TOG. Ultimately I feared that the increased rigor would completely push her over the edge.

My younger dd will add OM1 and Singapore, and continue on with RME.

We're going from custom piecemeal to "boxed" curriculum next year-- Heart of Dakota. I love so many of their choices, the classical LA skills interwoven, and the fact that the history cycle levels are semi-independent.

Hopefully it will give me a little more time with the baby and 3yo.

For my younger 3 - nothing they are just moving up to the next guide in HOD. For my oldest daughter - everything but grammar. I love HOD, but she hated narrations, dictation for what seemed like every subject, so I am switching to a more "fill in the blank" format with lots of reading. We will be using MOH2 + supplemental books, CKEES & Exploring Creation with Astronomy, TT7 (switching from MUS, she made it through Zeta, but we are both bored with Mr. Demme [sorry Steve]). I will be using some of the HOD selections since I am hoping my 2nd daughter will want to do RTR when she gets to it so wer are doing -Medieval History Based Writing Lessons, finishing R&S, Beautiful Girlhood books and some of the history reading selections like "Monks & Mystics", "Peril & Peace" etc. She will still have to do writing for Language Arts of course, but I think it will be less tears this way. I also miss choosing curriculum and lesson planning, so this way I have the best of both worlds .

The biggest change I've made is to move my oldest away from literature approach learning. It is just not her learning style and the frustration factor was just not worth continuing. So, she is going to a spine and textbook approach.

I guess my next biggest change has been to leave BF books and go to SOTW (heavily supplemented with readers and geography) for my youngest.

Finally, I went back to BJU for science. I thought I'd continue with Apologia for all of high school, but after comparing their 2 biology spines, we went to BJU. That really surprised me, I thought I'd not use BJU science again. That's the beauty of the process, it keeps changing as we grow!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Her favorite thing about 2nd grade was the Medieval Fair we attended (for about 2 lame hours). :001_huh: That was hard to hear. :sad:

Oh, haven't we all been there? :grouphug: I'm learning that dc (especially ds7) need these fun activities and field trips to really make school come alive. Frankly, I would like to get out of the house more too.

My younger dd will add OM1 and Singapore, and continue on with RME.

My dd5 will turn 6 and start first grade next next year. She's looking forward to it and I'm looking forward to having ds7 not be alone in having requirements put on him. I think he looks forward to it too. :lol:

Still deciding on the level of rigor though... A mix is coming through in the planning stages, which I think is good.

The biggest change I've made is to move my oldest away from literature approach learning. It is just not her learning style and the frustration factor was just not worth continuing. So, she is going to a spine and textbook approach.

Same here! TOG just wasn't getting done, so we've switched to a traditional textbook program for this year.

aude sapere

We are also going to give HOD a try. I asked for my DSs' input and they both said they wanted to take a break from SOTW. I think they will really enjoy HOD. We are going to add in a lot of lapbooking, and a science unit on herbs and natural healing per DS9's request. It should be a fun year!

We are ditching Rod & Staff English. I like it, my son likes it but I really want to give Intermediate Language Lessons and TWTM way of writing a solid year without adding to it. Doing 3 LA programs was rough! We are staying with MFW, this is the first time that I've used the same program for two years!! My dh is thrilled, no more agonizing over catalogs and dragging him to book fairs. He keeps saying" I TOLD you 2 years ago to look at the MFW booth, did you listen? Noooo.":D

Kim

She's looking forward to it and I'm looking forward to having ds7 not be alone in having requirements put on him. I think he looks forward to it too. :lol:

Yes, I think my oldest also enjoys having my "exciting new finds and plans" split between the two of them. When I only had one to plan for, she got ALL the fun (and work). ;)

First of all, I have been cleaning, decluttering big time, and organizing. I am working on chores and a more regularly cleaned house for all of us. Believe me, this is big around here. I am trying to establish better habits in many areas, but chores and cleanliness top the list. I feel this is one of our big goals over the spring/summer. Plenty of time to get that established before fall.

So--1) chores

2) habits

3) eating together as a family on a regular basis (this actually goes with habits)

4) training my older ds (will be 10) to work towards more independence with schoolwork

5) curriculum changes:will be using a blend of Oak Meadow, TOG, and a teeny bit of Ambleside

6) dropped out of our coop for next year

7) considering using Homeschool Tracker

And I think the question was why as to the changes? Changes were needed!! Messy house, overworked mama, underworked kids, bad bad habits around here (my fault, I know). As to the curriculum changes, younger ds was not really an Ambleside type. Things got sluggish midyear. I think this blend will give enough variety and meet dc needs better.

Wooly,

I am right there with you on the housework/cleanliness thing! I have HUGE plans to go through the house over our 10 week (this year) summer break. Major overhauling! I think having a tidy home, and a good routine estblished will help with homeschooling too.

I too am considering HST, although I have a printed planner that I like too. I like the looks of this one too...

We switched from Spelling Workout to AAS. Should have done this earlier.

Also, for math we switched from MUS to Math Mammoth. Very happy with that too. I like MUS, but DD6 does not (it's too "plain" and not visual enough).

:grouphug: I'm learning that dc (especially ds7) need these fun activities and field trips to really make school come alive. Frankly, I would like to get out of the house more too.

I'm thinking I need to plan more of that into our scheduling. Now that we won't have coop, I will feel I can manage it a bit more. Without planning it ahead though (I mean like now:D) I am sure there will often be a reason to not do such things. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm actually looking to spend more time in the house, but the occasional field trip would be great.

Edited by woolybear
forgot something

Wooly,

I am right there with you on the housework/cleanliness thing! I have HUGE plans to go through the house over our 10 week (this year) summer break. Major overhauling! I think having a tidy home, and a good routine estblished will help with homeschooling too.

I too am considering HST, although I have a printed planner that I like too. I like the looks of this one too...

Wow, is that second planner you mentioned worth the price? I need to study that more, I think.

As to the cleaning and home organizing there was a blog which really inspired me. www.amongstlovelythings.blogspot.com/2010/05/rather-long-homemaking-post.html

I'm changing EVERYTHING except for FLL. I am finishing the second grade part with DD next year.

From A Reason for Science to 106 Days of Creation

From A Reason for Handwriting to New American Cursive for DD and Italics for DS

Singapore Math to Abeka

Adding Song School Latin

From Horizons Health to Apologia's Human Anatomy

From TruthQuest History to SOTW 1

Adding Voskamp's A Child's Geography and many "cultural resources" to have a "missions" focus

From Building Spelling Skills to either Spelling Workout or Sequential Spelling (or both!!)

Adding WWE workbook #1

Wow, is that second planner you mentioned worth the price? I need to study that more, I think.

As to the cleaning and home organizing there was a blog which really inspired me. www.amongstlovelythings.blogspot.com/2010/05/rather-long-homemaking-post.html

Yeah, the price is a little mind boggling... after looking at it some more, I think I'll stick with my Home Schooler's Journal!

Thanks for the blog link - I could use some inspiration!

Finally, I went back to BJU for science. I thought I'd continue with Apologia for all of high school, but after comparing their 2 biology spines, we went to BJU. That really surprised me, I thought I'd not use BJU science again. That's the beauty of the process, it keeps changing as we grow!

What made you decide on BJU Biology as opposed to Apologia?

I'm using this summer to experiment with some new programs to use with Singapore Math and possibly replace Horizons math.

What program if you do not mind my asking? We use a combo of singapore and horizons. Is there something you do not like about that combo, or just looking for something different? :bigear:

We are switching to almost all do the next thing/ check the box 'cause we're done kind of curriculum. :001_smile: I'm worn out putting stuff together myself. I still haven't found an elem. sci. I like, so I wrote my own and am using that (but I still find myself tweaking it). I also kind of painted myself into a corner by cobbling together subjects for my girls, so I am putting together a lit. program for them next year then will switch to a check off the box thing for 9th grade the following year.

I'm just plum tired.