Menu

My dh doesn't know what to get me for mother's day and neither do I

We have a bit of extra money and for various reasons, dh has expressed that he'd like to get me a nice gift for mother's day. He was leaning towards a Kindle 2. Thing is, I've looked at e-readers and they don't really interest me. So, now dh wants to know what I would like and I have no clue.

I joked and told him to just give me the money that he'd have spent on a Kindle 2 and let me splurge on books for myself. He replied by saying that wouldn't be special since I buy books I want all the time. :tongue_smilie::lol:

This is a bit more about dh than me at this point... he really wants to get me something great, but I don't know what that is. :001_huh:

So... what's on your wish list and what should I add to mine?:confused:

We don't buy gifts on commercial holidays...lol...sounds cranky...but it is the truth. Guilt-driven shopping makes us nuts!

If your dh feels he needs to purchase something, maybe he could check out independant jewlers who might be able put together somethng meaningful. Just know that a few days before a holiday, there will be few 'bargains'.

If I were considering a gift for *Mother's Day*, I would be thinking of items that represent my kids.

Edited by LibraryLover

Does he need to purchase something specifically for you? I'll preface my post by stating that I absolutley detest my family "buying" me something for Mother's Day.

If he'd dead set on buying stuff, how about some special landscaping - possibly some special roses in a raised garden plot?

They could Super Clean your car - I mean, clean, vacuum, detail, steam clean the seats/cloth. Then, coupons for once a month cleaning for the remainder of the year.

OK, so I love artsy things. Here are some splurges at Etsy that I would love for Mother's Day.....

Beautiful door wreath: http://www.etsy.com/shop/twoinspireyou

A collection of original art--already framed: http://www.etsy.com/shop/DanaKomjaty?section_id=6338965

more fun art: http://www.etsy.com/shop/betsythompsonstudio

stacking ring set: http://www.etsy.com/listing/43902444/shades-of-blue-ring-set

original canvas graphic art: http://www.etsy.com/shop/StudioZen

Now you know my wish list--browse Etsy, and you might find some things you really love!

Beth

I would for sure like a trip somewhere, even if it was just a weekend. I LOVE to get G/C's to dinner and a movie. I LOVE to eat out because that means I don't have to shop/ cook/ clean up. But more then anything, I want riding lessons so I've told my whole family that from now on, no more gifts, just money for lessons.

I just asked Dh for two new Ikea bookcases for our school room for mother's day. Is there anything like that you want? In the past I've gotten new coolers (one was a 5 day large cooler, last years was a smaller, softsided rolling cooler to take lunch to co-op in). Also, one of my favorite gifts is starbucks gift cards. Often I would love to go through starbucks but I'm to cheap to just go. If I have a gift card I can stop and not feel guilty! How about money for books AND a day to go shopping by yourself or with a friend? How about a car detailing by him and the kids?

Melissa

past gift successes around here: Kitchen-aid mixer, sewing/embroidery machine, plants for the outdoors, furniture, art classes, art supplies, digital camera

We keep lists around here. inevitable at Christmas or whatever holiday we are stumped for what to wish for, but throughout the year we say "hey, I'd like to have a ____" so we write it down.

How about a day at the spa for massage/mani/pedi/facial?

A romantic weekend at a B&B?

How about tickets for the opera/symphony/theatre?

Cuisinart Food Processor?

:D

I know!! After I started this thread, I exclaimed to dh that I knew exactly what I wanted: A Bosch mixer. :D He promptly asked (enthusiastically) how much they cost and when I broke the news, errrr, told him, he (not so enthusiastically) informed me that that was more in the Christmas present price range. :glare::tongue_smilie::lol:

Does it have to be a "thing"? Is there someplace you have always wanted to go or something you could do (together or just you)?

Something for your house or something done to your house?

It doesn't really *have* to be anything, but I do think he wants to get me a *thing*. Something I'd really like, but wouldn't spend the money on myself (read: most things :tongue_smilie:).

I wish I liked the e-readers; I want to want one, but I just don't. It would make both our lives simpler.

There are no restaurants here that I'm crazy about, and for the cost of eating out vs. the enjoyment I get out of it, we rarely do. I'm just as happy to eat at home. A weekend trip would likely cost more than an e-reader and our weekends aren't free for some time.

Okay, yeah, I guess it does have to be a "thing" because nothing else really seems to work. :lol:

I just LOVE stuff from www.tenthousandvillages.org They might have a store in your area, too. It is beautiful, well-made, and truly supports the artists. They are paid half of the wage before they make the product, and the other half once they are done. If something is on sale or clearance, the artists have already been paid, so they are still making the wage they deserve! The organization keeps in contact with the artists too, so they know that everything is going well for them.

I am IN LOVE with my growing collection of Le Creuset! I now have two (is that a collection yet?) pieces - a 7 1/4 qt round french oven (I call her "Cerise" - yes, she has a name - as she is cherry red). I got a 12" LC frying pan for our anniversary last week. I am trying out names, but Hot Tamale is my favorite so far...

Edited by BikeBookBread
brevity

If we had the money' date=' I'd ask for a housecleaning service. And I'd be sure to use the extra time I would have that wasn't spent cleaning doing something fun with the kids.[/quote']

My sister received housecleaning services for mothers day, her birthday and Christmas for two years running before her dh lost his job... She says as soon as they can afford gifts again she's asking for the same!

MY dh just took me to Sears yesterday and got me a sapphire bracelet (yes, lab created but I don't care at all- I like nice colors). It was on a great sale. Is this what I would have chosen for myself- no. I asked for a replacement griddle since the one we have had for more than 20 years fell from the handle while it was hot and I was really happy it didn't fall on my foot. Maybe my girls will get me that. Anyway, my dh loves to get me jewelry and it is pretty so I won't complain. I already have it because he will be out of town for MD.

An ipad. :D.

I'm a gadget girl.

I was thinking iPad too. :D Dh agreed and was planning on one but I really can't figure out what I'd need one for. :001_huh: I already have an iPhone, a MacBook, and money set aside to buy a new iMac when Apple has their Back to School Sale in the fall. I can't figure what an iPad would do for me that the others can't. :tongue_smilie:

I am IN LOVE with my growing collection of Le Creuset! I now have two (is that a collection yet?) pieces - a 7 1/4 qt round french oven (I call her "Cerise" - yes, she has a name - as she is cherry red). I got a 12" LC frying pan for our anniversary last week. I am trying out names, but Hot Tamale is my favorite so far...

After watching reruns of Julia's show on PBS, I want some, too! Hot Tamale sounds like it makes the prospect of cooking a meal fun.

My sister received housecleaning services for mothers day, her birthday and Christmas for two years running before her dh lost his job... She says as soon as they can afford gifts again she's asking for the same!

Dh got me a full year of a weekly maid after the birth of our fourth... :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

I was thinking iPad too. :D Dh agreed and was planning on one but I really can't figure out what I'd need one for. :001_huh: I already have an iPhone, a MacBook, and money set aside to buy a new iMac when Apple has their Back to School Sale in the fall. I can't figure what an iPad would do for me that the others can't. :tongue_smilie:

just because . . . is a good enough reason, right? :D

My lap top died. And I'm tired of fighting dh for computer screen time.

Do you like tea? The drinking kind - sheesh you guys!

I asked for this - http://www.cambriacove.com/entertaining/entertaining/tabletop-and-linens/commemorative-tea-cup-set-by-royal-albert-1950-to-1990/33c34c37p874/index.pro?method=cross-sell&fromProduct=277470

They also have a 1900-1940 set. Very pretty and not something I would ever just buy for myself!

eta - there is a discount code from Real Simple that takes the price down by $30 - I think it is REALSIMPLE or something similar.

Edited by Mothersweets

Do you like tea? The drinking kind - sheesh you guys!

I asked for this - http://www.cambriacove.com/entertaining/entertaining/tabletop-and-linens/commemorative-tea-cup-set-by-royal-albert-1950-to-1990/33c34c37p874/index.pro?method=cross-sell&fromProduct=277470

They also have a 1900-1940 set. Very pretty and not something I would ever just buy for myself!

eta - there is a discount code from Real Simple that takes the price down by $30 - I think it is REALSIMPLE or something similar.

I ADORE tea (the drinking kind, lol!) What a lovely gift! I'm enjoying looking at the photo!