Menu

Next Door Neighbor Cut Down OUR Privacy Hedge While We Were Out! (rant)

Mariann, I think you handled this very well.

Let's just say if something like this happened to us, I would not have been as calm as you are.

RC

RC: You are very kind! Thank you! I did have to come in the house and take an extra blood pressure pill -- but I'm okay now -- 6 hours since it all happened. DH has cancelled a business trip and is staying home tomorrow to have fence people come with estimates and clean up people come and get it all removed. I;m going to have to out the AGA range into storage - I will order more cabinetry to take up the space that the AGA would have used, get a smaller range, and hope I can use it in another house very soon.

BTW, I read what happened with your son - thought and prayers -- we had something happen when ds was in first grade (:glare:) in ps -- it was nothing but truly frightening that if not nipped in the bud immediately, some nutsy school psychologist was going to run amuck and do great damage. Sending good thoughts to you and your ds!

Not to condone it all, but, forsythia? Down to a foot and a half? It will not die. By the end of summer it will be 5-6 feet tall again. I would definitely not pull the stumps.

Oh yeah, not to condone it, as they sound like the worst neighbors on the planet, but they basically trimmed a workhorse-- which means it wil be back bigger and badder than ever in no time! LOL Let them take that the bank. Ha!

I have no idea what they were thinking, of course, even if it was forsythia. They were wrongola. BUT. Do not pull the stumps, it could be over 10 ft tall next time this year.

You win. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Oh yeah, not to condone it, as they sound like the worst neighbors on the planet, THEY ARE NOW! but they basically trimmed a workhorse-- which means it wil be back bigger and badder than ever in no time! LOL Let them take that the bank. Ha!

I have no idea what they were thinking, of course, even if it was forsythia. They were wrongola. BUT. Do not pull the stumps, it could be over 10 ft tall next time this year.

You win. :)

:lol::lol:You've brightened my day!

Criminal suit sounds very appropriate to me. It was a criminal act of vandalism.

I can't express to you how sorry I am that you have endured this.

You are very kind -- thank you!:)

Criminal suit sounds very appropriate to me. It was a criminal act of vandalism.

I can't express to you how sorry I am that you have endured this.

:iagree:Technically it was vandalism. They saw something on your property they didn't like and set out to destroy/damage it.

Pulling the stumps is unnecessary. They could have cut it down to a foot tall and it would still grow back -- lusher than ever.

They sound like awful neighbours.

If it was me, every time I saw them I'd wave madly, smile obnoxiously and shout "can you see me now? I see you!"

And, I'd set up a telescope in the window that faces their house, where they could see it pointed at them. And, when they pull into their driveway, I'd line the whole family up in the window and have everyone wave at them.

I hate neighbours. That's why I live on a farm. I can have 40 people over to run naked around the yard and no neighbours will see it.

Not that I've done that.

Lately.

OMH: I forgot to tell this: when I was telling them that they had trespassed, blah, blah, blah (and I can be livid and be telling someone where to go, and I never raise my voice, and they will actually be looking forward to the trip when I am finished with them) -- anyway, the husband says to me: 'You know, people in Africa are dying of AIDS.' I looked at him and said: 'What?':confused: He said: 'Nevermind.'

I'm sorry about the hedge and believe you handled it very well. It sounds like they are idiots.

Edited by Stacie
read it wrong, ugh!

I hate neighbours. That's why I live on a farm. I can have 40 people over to run naked around the yard and no neighbours will see it.

Not that I've done that.

Lately.

LOL Yeah, that is what a friend of mine thought. She liked to garden in the nude. She bought acreage to make sure she could go bare. Then, a church bought the land adjacent, and cleared the land for huge outdoor services. The clearing left her property, not so private. LOL She said, "my land, my prerogative" and goes nude anyways. The cleared area is a several acres away, so if someone looks and thinks about it, they will realize she is not clothed. LOL

I can imagine the look on peoples faces as they figure this out! I wonder if the male attendance in their services went up?!

:lol::lol::lol:

:eek: SERIOUSLY???!!! And they find nothing WRONG with their actions??? :eek::eek: They wanted to SEE you and the PRIVACY HEDGE was in the way??? :eek::eek::eek: People are dying in Africa???

SERIOUSLY???

Do you think something is wrong with them? Something seems WAAAAAAAYYYY OFF.

Sorry you had to go through this!!!

Yes, she has a wishing well in her front yard -- and I did mention to her and her husband that I HATE their pool, their shed, their wishing well, and the stupid rooster plate that they have hanging from the flower box in front of their house BUT I have not gone on their property and removed said items.

DH said it was one of my finer moments!:D

You wouldn't exactly have to *go over* or *remove* anything...if you have a child with a BB gun or an Airsoft rifle. ;)

(...and although I would TOTALLY want to take that rooster plate OUT...I am just kidding....maybe)

Pulling the stumps is unnecessary. They could have cut it down to a foot tall and it would still grow back -- lusher than ever.

They sound like awful neighbours. We suspected they were - but it was okay b/c we never had anything to do with them -- I cannot imagine WHY they crossed that line.

If it was me, every time I saw them I'd wave madly, smile obnoxiously and shout "can you see me now? I see you!" :lol::lol:

And, I'd set up a telescope in the window that faces their house, where they could see it pointed at them. And, when they pull into their driveway, I'd line the whole family up in the window and have everyone wave at them. :lol::lol:

I hate neighbours. :iagree: Always have, always will.

That's why I live on a farm. We have toyed with the idea of a farm -- which is not easy to come by in northern virginia considering dh's commute -- but an acre or two is starting to look mighty attractive! I can have 40 people over to run naked around the yard and no neighbours will see it.

Not that I've done that. I can pretty much guarantee that if I ran around the yard naked, my neighbor would be forever CURED of her desire to want to see EVERYTHING! :lol:

Lately.

:lol::lol:

I've decided that the wife is a flipping lunatic -- and I told the husband -- and I don't think I've said three words to them till today -- dh just watched - he said it was great.

As I listen to dd living through her teens I keep running into these stories that show her some people never grow up. :ack2: Don't we wish it wasn't so. I'm so sorry about your property! And I won't write what I think of your neighbors.

You wouldn't exactly have to *go over* or *remove* anything...if you have a child with a BB gun or an Airsoft rifle. ;)

(...and although I would TOTALLY want to take that rooster plate OUT...I am just kidding....maybe)

DH had to bite his tongue when I mentioned the rooster plate - he was going to lol, he said.

Actually, I love your ideas - they are great, but the BEST is that now that they know that I hate those items, they can be concerned with them b/c I have neither the time, energy, or inclination to put either of my well-pedicured feet anywhere near their property.

House next door? :001_huh: What house next door? ;) Gold medal in the Invisible Olympics!:D

I might be tempted to hve an arborist(is that what they're called?) validate the trees health and such. I'm not sure what your state's max is for small claims.. hope it's $5000-$6000!!

:)

What an excellent idea - and yes, they are called arborists. Thanks for the idea!:001_smile:

The thing is those bushes were probably worth thousands of dollars in terms of replacement value. Did they think that they were encroaching on their property by overhanging? Even if they did they were very much in the wrong. I am shocked that they would do this. It really is an outrage. I would be suing them big time IMHO.

:iagree: But people keep mentioning small claims. Isn't small claims capped at $5000? I think this might go beyond that.

I think I'd find something obnoxious to do ON your property to bug them until the bushes grow back. Maybe put up a huge clothesline right in the view of one of their windows and hang underwear on it every day. The bigger/rattier/uglier the better. Line your windows facing their house with tin foil. Put a car up on blocks in your yard. Take up HAM radio and put a bunch of antennae everywhere. . . Okay, not really, but I'd sure dream about it. :D

So so sorry about your hedge. I'd be furious too!

If it was me, every time I saw them I'd wave madly, smile obnoxiously and shout "can you see me now? I see you!"

And, I'd set up a telescope in the window that faces their house, where they could see it pointed at them. And, when they pull into their driveway, I'd line the whole family up in the window and have everyone wave at them.

Not that I've done that.

Lately.

Audrey, you made me laugh so hard, I'm crying! Too funny!!!!

Mariann, I adore forsythia and privacy and would be beyond angry if someone did that to us. I hope you get this worked out to your benefit. Keep us posted, please!

:iagree: But people keep mentioning small claims. Isn't small claims capped at $5000? I think this might go beyond that.

I think I'd find something obnoxious to do ON your property to bug them until the bushes grow back. Maybe put up a huge clothesline right in the view of one of their windows and hang underwear on it every day. The bigger/rattier/uglier the better. Line your windows facing their house with tin foil. Put a car up on blocks in your yard. Take up HAM radio and put a bunch of antennae everywhere. . . Okay, not really, but I'd sure dream about it. :D

So so sorry about your hedge. I'd be furious too!

Well, I am probably going to let our dog 'go' on THAT side of the yard now -- and, trust me, my dog does not 'go' rose petals :lol::lol::lol:. If they are downwind of THAT, well, it won't be pleasant....and we won't be 'picking it up' immediately the way we usually do. It.can.sit.there.in.the.heat.:ack2:

Mariann I have not read all the replies but I recommend that you contact a professional arborist to give an estimate of the value of the hedge. Be sure to factor in the cost of MATURE replacement plantings and not just new shrubs.

Methinks that to do this much "trimming" in such a short period of time, these folks had to have had a plan in place and were just waiting for you to drive away.

I am so sorry, you just got back into your home and did not need this baloney.

:grouphug:

Crazy story! I think I'd go the fence route which would give you real privacy and likely annoy the neighbors. I'm thinking they'd rather see pretty bushes rather than an 8 ft. wooden fence, but oh well!

Oh, and if you do get a fence, I'd post a 'No Trespassing' sign, and perhaps a smaller sign with a red circle crossing out a pair of hedge trimmers. :)

Crazy story! I think I'd go the fence route which would give you real privacy and likely annoy the neighbors. I'm thinking they'd rather see pretty bushes rather than an 8 ft. wooden fence, but oh well!

Oh, and if you do get a fence, I'd post a 'No Trespassing' sign, and perhaps a smaller sign with a red circle crossing out a pair of hedge trimmers. :)

I like this idea. I can see me hanging an over sized, crooked, hand made NO TRESPASSING sign (a 5 yo's penmanship would be perfect) every 3 feet on the fence, down the entire length! Just to make it look ooooh sooo pretty on their side!

The nerve of people!! I mean, seriously, what the heck were they thinking? We have a privacy hedge exactly like the one you are talking about. The previous owners planted it to block the neighbors. One evening after we had lived here a few months, the guy came over in a drunken rant, beating on our door, cussing, and telling us that if we did not take down the hedge then he would. Ummmm.....heck no. After that night, I knew exactly why the hedge was there. And it still stands today. Crazy neighbors.

Oh, what can one say!?! That's just horrible! I would be sooooo angry, confused, flabbergasted, befuddled, and soooo angry!

The really bad thing is that the consequences are so final. Even if they apologize, you are left with the remnants...although an apology and a "what can I do to make it right" would go a long way to restoring civility.

But I will say that you are not alone. There are people like your neighbors here in our little town, too. A dear friend and her family left their home (wooded 5 acres) to visit their daughters in OKC and returned home to find that their neighbor had cut down several large oak trees between their properties. These trees were on my friend's property and were not impinging on the neighbor's property at all. They were angry...told the neighbor in no uncertain terms that they didn't want him cutting their trees. Neighbor states he doesn't like trees (but he purchased 5 acres in the woods!). About 6 months later, they head to OKC again, return and find more trees cut down on their property. Bizarre!

I am sorry.

It sounds like my "lying liar neighbor who lies" tree incident. I thought I was going to have a heart attack that day.

My neighbor asked if he could have the dead branches of our maple trimmed. DH said fine. The tree company came and cut every single branch that went over the fence onto his property. It was butchered -- this is a 50+ year old maple.

When I begged the tree guys to stop, the lying liar came out of his house and told me that he told my DH he was going to do it. I said, no, you said trim the dead branches and said he was lying. He told me no, your husband lied to you!!!

He stood around telling our neighbors that he told DH he was trimming the tree to the property line and that DH lied to me and told me just the dead branches. I started screaming that my DH wasn't a liar, that he was the liar and he went in the house & callled the police b/c he shouldn't have to listen to my lies!

He was legally right about being able to cut the tree but the part that killed me was him standing there, telling all the neighbors, and then the police that he told DH the truth but that DH turned around and lied to me. And the police kept saying, just let him tell his side of the story.

The thing is, my kids and their best friend heard the conversation that day and they alll heard the liar say he wanted to just trim the dead braches.

After the police left, I made a sign that read LIAR and put it on my lawn. He called the police again! He wanted me arrested! They came back and told him I could put anything I wanted on my lawn. It didn't say his name, it just said liar.

(ETA: I was under a lot of stress that day b/c a family friend had attempted suicide 2 days before and was barely clinging to life at that point. The friend's marriage was falling apart b/c the spouse was lying about committing adultery.)

Edited by unsinkable

Mariann I have not read all the replies but I recommend that you contact a professional arborist to give an estimate of the value of the hedge. Be sure to factor in the cost of MATURE replacement plantings and not just new shrubs.

Methinks that to do this much "trimming" in such a short period of time, these folks had to have had a plan in place and were just waiting for you to drive away.

I am so sorry, you just got back into your home and did not need this baloney.

:grouphug:

An excellent suggestion - also made by another poster - and DH and I are going to do this. Thanks for your kind words, and, yes, I agree......this woman has been waiting to do this. I think she is definitely a nut job --and I have NO patience for nut jobs.

Actually, the 'NT' sign is something I am absolutely going to do - MANY NT signs, methinks! ;) Until the fence or plantings are up. I can get the kids to work on the 'no hedge clippers' sign.

I like this idea. I can see me hanging an over sized, crooked, hand made NO TRESPASSING sign (a 5 yo's penmanship would be perfect) every 3 feet on the fence, down the entire length! Just to make it look ooooh sooo pretty on their side!
You know, b4 I even got out of bed this morning, I had decided to do JUSt THIS! And, I may intersperse it with some of these: 6a011570b92229970b011570668610970c-450wi:lol:

The nerve of people!! I mean, seriously, what the heck were they thinking? We have a privacy hedge exactly like the one you are talking about. The previous owners planted it to block the neighbors. One evening after we had lived here a few months, the guy came over in a drunken rant, beating on our door, cussing, and telling us that if we did not take down the hedge then he would. Ummmm.....heck no. After that night, I knew exactly why the hedge was there. And it still stands today. Crazy neighbors.
How awful! You know, I think they thought we were going to walk away and not say a word - :001_huh: - they were clearly so surprised when I lashed into them. I just cannot believe the presumptiousness of doing such a thing.

Oh, what can one say!?! That's just horrible! I would be sooooo angry, confused, flabbergasted, befuddled, and soooo angry!

The really bad thing is that the consequences are so final. Even if they apologize, you are left with the remnants...although an apology and a "what can I do to make it right" would go a long way to restoring civility.

You are SO right! I tend to be a very 'FINAL' person --The certified letter informing them that they are never to go onto our property again has been written and sent. If they make any attempt to come onto our property and clean up the mess of clippings and trimmings they left, I will call the police and have them charged with trespassing (the police officer's suggestion). No, it's done - over, finished -- I've spent the past few weeks as I order custom kitchen cabinets, and look at $30k of appliances sitting in the middle of my kitchen telling myself that it will be okay to live here for a very long time as long as we have a high fence and I don't have to see anyone - well, I was wrong. Appliances are going into storage, I will go to Home Depot and buy replacements and we will move - I did not want to be in this house - I like things further out (one county over) - dh is a pain in the a** about his commute, that's how we ended up in close-in Fairfax County - well, I think he has seen the light, now. We are definitely going - b/c you know the past year has not been upsetting enough for everything that has gone on - now I have to get the house ready to sell.

I am sorry.

It sounds like my "lying liar neighbor who lies" tree incident. I thought I was going to have a heart attack that day.

QUOTE] I am SO sorry! I understand about the heart attack thing - when I came back in the house, I was shaking - I had to take a dose of my blood pressure meds. It seems like when it rains it pours, doesn't it?

Actually, the 'NT' sign is something I am absolutely going to do - MANY NT signs, methinks! ;) Until the fence or plantings are up. I can get the kids to work on the 'no hedge clippers' sign.

You know, b4 I even got out of bed this morning, I had decided to do JUSt THIS! And, I may intersperse it with some of these: 6a011570b92229970b011570668610970c-450wi:lol:

You know what may be a good idea? Since she was so intent on seeing you that she cut down your bushes I think you should put up posters of you between the signs. And since she seems to love roosters, you should find a rooster costume to wear in them. It will hopefully cut down on the possibility of her knocking down your fence. :D

Seriously, when you have the fence installed make sure she is not around. You don't want her to have one smidgeon of it put slightly in her property line. It gives her access to it. In fact, have the property lines staked and clearly marked by a surveyor before the fence is put up, to protect you.

You know what may be a good idea? Since she was so intent on seeing you that she cut down your bushes I think you should put up posters of you between the signs. And since she seems to love roosters, you should find a rooster costume to wear in them. The bad thing about this is that I am 'extreme' enough to do it! You know, costumes are SO EASY to find on ebay. :lol::lol:It will hopefully cut down on the possibility of her knocking down your fence. :D

Seriously, when you have the fence installed make sure she is not around. You don't want her to have one smidgeon of it put slightly in her property line. It gives her access to it. In fact, have the property lines staked and clearly marked by a surveyor before the fence is put up, to protect you.

D.E.F.I.N.I.T.E.L.Y! In fact, the 'utility' folks are out there marking where their underground utilities are right now -- survey is necessary for the fence installers - so that is being done this afternoon. Because you know, with the disaster inside the house that we are still dealing with, I needed this on top of it! :glare:

And on some level, THAT is what p*sses me off THE MOST! I have a million things inside the house that we are dealing with from the water damage and the insurance company's 'preferred contractor' :cursing: but we were barely managing to keep all the balls in the air -- and getting things done. I absolutely did not need someone touching something that was FINE! KWIM?

I commend you for handling the situation as well as you did. I think calling the police was absolutely the right thing to do. I also hope that you are able to pursue the matter and get compensation in the form of them paying for the clean up and installing a fence.

I am so thrilled that you are actually defending your rights and making sure that their bad behavior has consequences. I think that most people would just let this go and never speak to the neighbors again to avoid the hassle. I think that there is a lack of consequences in our society today, we are tolerant to the point that people have no qualms about being selfish and behaving badly, like your neighbors. They don't even realize they are doing it many times. The more people like you stand up and cry foul, the better off we are as a whole.

I commend you for handling the situation as well as you did. I think calling the police was absolutely the right thing to do. I also hope that you are able to pursue the matter and get compensation in the form of them paying for the clean up and installing a fence.

I am so thrilled that you are actually defending your rights and making sure that their bad behavior has consequences. I think that most people would just let this go and never speak to the neighbors again to avoid the hassle. I think that there is a lack of consequences in our society today, we are tolerant to the point that people have no qualms about being selfish and behaving badly, like your neighbors. They don't even realize they are doing it many times. The more people like you stand up and cry foul, the better off we are as a whole.

How very nice of you to write that! And, :iagree:with what you wrote that folks think they can do what they want and there won't be any consequences - I have often maintained that a huge problem today is 'lack of accountability.' I intend to take actions that will make them accountable for what they did -- at this point in their lives if no one has, well, then I say it's high time!;) And, actually, the police officer said the same thing you said -- and he agreed with us - folks don't recognize or respect boundaries today - that creates problems. Again, lack of accountability.

Wow. Just wow. I'm at a loss on what to say. I can't believe someone would do that. Did you know the neighbor well? Did she feel familiar enough with you to think she could get away with that? Did she really think that would make you better neighbors? Sheesh.

I am sorry that you have to add that onto the pile of stressors that you already have. Please take care of yourself. Don't allow these people to adversely affect your health.

Wow. Just wow. I'm at a loss on what to say. Initially, dh and I were both at a total loss. We kept staring as if it was a car wreck or something. I can't believe someone would do that. We were stunned for a while! Did you know the neighbor well? Nope. I don't think they even know my name. Did she feel familiar enough with you to think she could get away with that? Not at all - but she clearly has boundary isues and appropriateness issues. Did she really think that would make you better neighbors? Sheesh. No clue, but she has definitely put us in the category of 'soon to be former neighbors.'

I am sorry that you have to add that onto the pile of stressors that you already have. Please take care of yourself. Don't allow these people to adversely affect your health.

Thank you - you are kind - we left last night to take the kids to dinner and to get groceries and stuff (we had been away in NJ from Thursday night till Saturday night) and I sat at Wegman's and just stared into space - waiting for my blood pressure med to work and for me to calm down. You are right - this is not worth getting sick over - and in the great big scheme of things, it is totally stupid - but.just.so.aggravating.:banghead:

Not that I've done that.

Lately.

:iagree::lol::lol:

Honestly, I'd have them charged with vandalism or something on top of small claims.

And I can totally picture you lashing into them while your dh stood off to the side, smirking. My dh calls it 'going Wifezilla' and he does the exact same thing. Steps back and to the side, smirking, while I let loose. Its a combination of pride and 'please don't let her take aim at me' I think! :lol: He claims that I'm his secret weapon, and sends me in for big purchases, etc because I have no issues in demanding what I want...and woe betide the screw ups!

I like things further out (one county over) - dh is a pain in the a** about his commute

I have 30 acres I could sell you - trees, pond, spring, no neighbors...just the deer, cattle, raccoons...an occasional snake...and I would promise not to cut down anything on your side :-)

Your dh might have trouble with the commute, but if he is going to complain anyways, go for the win! Maybe we can retrofit the Hummer with wings! :auto:

Seriously, though, take care of yourself - don't let the stress get the best of you...or the neighbors win.

I have 30 acres I could sell you - trees, pond, spring, no neighbors...just the deer, cattle, raccoons...an occasional snake...and I would promise not to cut down anything on your side :-)

Your dh might have trouble with the commute, but if he is going to complain anyways, go for the win! Maybe we can retrofit the Hummer with wings! :auto:

Seriously, though, take care of yourself - don't let the stress get the best of you...or the neighbors win.

The dog is reading over my shoulder and drooling: :drool5: at the thought of THIRTY acres! And actually, the DOT is in OkCity and they would LOVe to have DH under their roof! No kidding!

Now......about that snake...........:glare: