Menu

Next Door Neighbor Cut Down OUR Privacy Hedge While We Were Out! (rant)

:bigear:

I had to peek in, and see why so many posts were being tossed in the trash can. I figured you were getting some creative suggestions. :tongue_smilie:

Well, actually, yesterday someone made some rather incriminating suggestions and some others of us commented on their inappropriateness and 'quoted' the post so into the trash it all went.:tongue_smilie:

I'm interested in knowing what will happen when they receive that restraining order. I don't know anything about suing people. Do you file something with small claims court and then they are served papers? Are you prepared for what will happen if they decide to ignore the restraining order and come to your house to "discuss" or yell or whatever?

I'm interested in knowing what will happen when they receive that restraining order. I don't know anything about suing people. Do you file something with small claims court and then they are served papers? Are you prepared for what will happen if they decide to ignore the restraining order and come to your house to "discuss" or yell or whatever?

Excellent question; yes, we are prepared. We will call the police. They will know there is a restraining order in effect. They will come and arrest them.

I think I've answered the rest of your very well articulated questions below:

The claim (which is the 'suit') cannot be filed in small claims court until damages ($ spent) have been incurred. DH today had to rent a trailer to put on the back of my hummer and take tomorrow off from the office to load up the mountain of clippings that are piled on our property from their little clipping escapade. So, the 'cost' has begun to accrue. When we have spent all that we intend to replace the 8 foot high and probably 40 foot long privacy hedge that we had with something that affords us the same amount of coverage, then we will be able to file in small claims court.

And, yes, as far as being 'served,' a sheriff will go to their house or their place of employment, ring the bell, and hand them the papers. Everything they need to know regarding place and time will be provided.

The restraining order (in this case a letter that cites Code, Section, Paragraph, etc of the County Code as regards Trespassing) has been sent via certified mail to them. He is a mail carrier - he knows what to do as far as taking the little slip of paper and going to the post office to sign for his letter. A copy of the letter has also been sent to the police department. When we receive the green card back from the post office, we then bring the green card to the police department and it is attached to the copy of the letter that has already been mailed to them.

The neighbors are considered 'served' with the No Trespassing letter when they sign the green card at the post office.

The letter (which is taken from the police department website) is quite specific. An individual would have to be a fool to ignore the letter and come over here......well.............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......I see your point.;)

Anyway, the letter is explicit in its instructions - no one from their house is to come over here on our property, or enter our house. PERIOD. To do so is considered a 'crime' and is punishable by law. Should they be foolish enough to do so, we will call the police. They will be arrested.

The punishment is not less than 12 months in jail, not less than $2500. fine and possibly both.

I would stay away. They also still have the likelihood that dh and I have one year from Sunday to file criminal charges against them. I told them not to mess with me -- I meant it. I am not one for silly pranks but I will pursue legal remedies that are available. They did a very very stupid thing.

Have you figured out how much this action devalued your house? I'm thinking 3-5 grand (ask a couple of real estate agents) I have a HUGE tree in may back yard- probably the main reason we fell in love with the house. It's worth 20 grand EASY.

Lara

I am thinking you are right in the ballpark with $3-5K; it has taken a toll physically on me.......I cannot believe how angry I am. The kids do not want to go outside and shoot hoops - they are visible to cars on the road now and prior to the trimming incident, they had total privacy. They also think that these people are.....well......one sandwich shy of a picnic, IYKWIM, so they do not want to go out there.

And your point is well made: one of the things that attractd us to this house was the 'privacy.' We did not want to be bothered with neighbors, and the privacy that was offered by the plantings was a definite plus.

Oh, well................:glare:

I'd start a neighborhood -wide "thing"--Whenever anyone makes eye contact with the BAD people -say CAN YA SEE ME NOW???? It could end up being something you say 20 years from now.

Lara

:lol::lol:The thing is, though, we are not in a neighborhood. No sidewalks, houses are set back with long driveways - everyone (except us now :glare:) has full grown privacy hedges along their driveways, oh, and the folks on the other side of them don't....but they appear to be really good buddies.

We were getting ready to put leyland cypress across the front so that we could have privacy in the front......we back onto a golf course and we are on half acre which in fairfax county virginia is (I know it's laughable) HUGE!

The other funny thing to say is that Robert DiNiro line: 'you lookin at me?':001_huh::lol::lol:

..... DH today had to rent a trailer to put on the back of my hummer .........

:lol::lol:

Mariann,

You drive a HUMMER???? What? I had someone more like June Cleaver in mind. A hummer?

Well, if I drove a hummer, I wouldn't have stopped when I saw my hedge. I'd have made a turn towards their house, and put the petal to the metal.* But then, that's why I could never drive anything too muscled, and I could never be a police officer, either. (I posted the grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... tag when I first read this thread.)

*I guess this will be another post tossed in the g-can.

:lol::lol:

Mariann,

You drive a HUMMER???? What? I had someone more like June Cleaver in mind. A hummer?

Well, if I drove a hummer, I wouldn't have stopped when I saw my hedge. I'd have made a turn towards their house, and put the petal to the metal.* But then, that's why I could never drive anything too muscled, and I could never be a police officer, either. (I posted the grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... tag when I first read this thread.)

*I guess this will be another post tossed in the g-can.

Hi, Yvette: You are funny!!!!!!:lol::lol: June Cleaver? hmmmmmmmmmmm, I love her, but I don't think so50shousewife2.jpgNope - not me -- let me think....... - Here: not me personally, but a good idea - nice blend of Talbot's, JJILL, LLBean, Nordstrom's and Red Door Salon --hey, I'm 55! Maintenance is EVERYTHING!

[/url]andie-mcdowell-in-814-mid-rise-cigarette-leg-in-dark-vintage1.jpg And, that is really funny about the Hummer! Last year when I taught fourth grade, my class LOVED the fact that their teacher drove a Hummer! Kids are so funny!

I am shocked that anyone would think it was okay to do something like that! Let us know what happens once they're served. I'm curious to see if they'll come over. I do think they are THAT stupid!

Well, it will certainly give us an idea of their reading skills or lack thereof, won't it? I am SO hoping they STAY AWAY! I really don't want to be pushed.

And, yes, I am still in shock whenever I look out the very large living room window and see what they did -- :cursing:

I received a Gardener's Supply catalog in the mail yesterday and thought of you when I looked at this:

Split-Bamboo fence

That would be just lovely with the 'commode planter' pictured a page or two back in this thread! Oh, I love DECORATING!

FTR, I think that your rootin' tootin' cowboy DOODLE could liven things up around here - maybe I could have him for an afternoon? With my three, the trampoline and the dog - well, it would probably be just the shot of adrenaline this place needs. :lol:

That would be just lovely with the 'commode planter' pictured a page or two back in this thread! Oh, I love DECORATING!

FTR, I think that your rootin' tootin' cowboy DOODLE could liven things up around here - maybe I could have him for an afternoon? With my three, the trampoline and the dog - well, it would probably be just the shot of adrenaline this place needs. :lol:

Doodle could definitely add a lot of excitement and energy to the afternoon. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Doodle

Here's an idea for you.

• Rent/borrow as many kids as you can. (Clear the actions below with their parents, bill it as a 'drama class'...or just use your own)

• Do 'Flying Monkey' safety drills, complete with duck and cover, pointing and screaming "FLYING MONKEYS! FLYING MONKEYS!!", kicking and writhing on the ground, etc.
  • Wait for the police to show. Ask what the problem is.
  • "I'm sorry, what?! Flying Monkeys? I've never heard of such a thing..." and look at neighbours like they're completely insane, which will confirm the police officer's first thoughts upon getting a complaint about 'Flying Monkeys'.

:Angel_anim:

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, I used to have a sign in my classroom (one of older dds gave it to me):

"CAREFUL OR I WILL GET MY FLYING MONKEYS!"

I LOVE flying monkeys! Hey, with twins, I just need to have a birthday party -- 30 kids without even thinking about it!:lol::lol::lol:

Here's an idea for you.

• Rent/borrow as many kids as you can. (Clear the actions below with their parents, bill it as a 'drama class'...or just use your own)

• Do 'Flying Monkey' safety drills, complete with duck and cover, pointing and screaming "FLYING MONKEYS! FLYING MONKEYS!!", kicking and writhing on the ground, etc.

• Wait for the police to show. Ask what the problem is.

• "I'm sorry, what?! Flying Monkeys? I've never heard of such a thing..." and look at neighbours like they're completely insane, which will confirm the police officer's first thoughts upon getting a complaint about 'Flying Monkeys'.

:Angel_anim:

You are a riot!!!! :lol:

Please excuse my request to repeat something undoubtedly buried somewhere in this thread, which now is too long to read in its entirety. . .

Why did the neighbors do this in the first place? I don't mean the buried machinations of a twisted mind, but what was their explicitly stated reason for the vandalism ? Or, has no explanation ever been offered by them ?

Thank you, somebody willing to clue me in !

Please excuse my request to repeat something undoubtedly buried somewhere in this thread, which now is too long to read in its entirety. . .

Why did the neighbors do this in the first place? I don't mean the buried machinations of a twisted mind, but what was their explicitly stated reason for the vandalism ? Or, has no explanation ever been offered by them ?

Thank you, somebody willing to clue me in !

:seeya:Pick me, Pick me!

I walked over and said: "You are aware that these shrubs were :glare: on our property and were not overhanging on yours at all, are you not?"

She said : "Yes. BUT, the other owners liked their privacy and I like to see what people are doing."

I KID YOU NOT, THAT IS WHAT SHE ANSWERED ME.

I said: "WHAT?" The husband comes out of their house and says, "You know there are people in Africa dying of AIDS........." And I imagine he had more current events to fill me in on and I looked at him and told him to:

"SHUT-UP!"

DH stepped back and decided it would be more fun to watch me in action at this point. And, the rest, as they say, is history.

Mariann, I was thinking about you this morning when it hit me that they cut your hedge (heinous itself), but then left all the trimmings where they lay, for *you* to deal with. Copious amounts of trimmings.

What was the explanation for that? Do you think they'd have gotten around to it, given more time before your return, or do you think their full intention was only to hack and run?

This, coupled with the comments you've made regarding your guys now not wanting to go out and the altered view from your picture window... wow, I really cannot imagine what these "neighbors" were thinking. I am sad for you.

I'd start a neighborhood -wide "thing"--Whenever anyone makes eye contact with the BAD people -say CAN YA SEE ME NOW???? It could end up being something you say 20 years from now.

Lara

:lol: Love this.

:confused1::confused1::confused1::eek::eek::eek::blink::blink::blink:

Ask for a surveillance camera set up in all rooms of their house so that you can "see what other people are doing", too.

Goodness, those people are cracked ! ! !

(Again, I'm so sorry ! I'd gladly help you pick up debris if I lived anywhere near you.)

Pick me, Pick me!

I walked over and said: "You are aware that these shrubs were on our property and were not overhanging on yours at all, are you not?"

She said : "Yes. BUT, the other owners liked their privacy and I like to see what people are doing."

I KID YOU NOT, THAT IS WHAT SHE ANSWERED ME.

I said: "WHAT?" The husband comes out of their house and says, "You know there are people in Africa dying of AIDS........." And I imagine he had more current events to fill me in on and I looked at him and told him to:

"SHUT-UP!"

DH stepped back and decided it would be more fun to watch me in action at this point. And, the rest, as they say, is history.

Mariann, I was thinking about you this morning when it hit me that they cut your hedge (heinous itself), but then left all the trimmings where they lay, for *you* to deal with. Copious amounts of trimmings.

What was the explanation for that? Do you think they'd have gotten around to it, given more time before your return, or do you think their full intention was only to hack and run?

This, coupled with the comments you've made regarding your guys now not wanting to go out and the altered view from your picture window... wow, I really cannot imagine what these "neighbors" were thinking. I am sad for you.

AuntieM: Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the debris was quite, ummmmm substantial. DH took a vacation day today, rented a uhaul trailer yesterday, hitched it to my hummer, and was out there this morning making trips to the dump. He made four trips to get it all out of here! I have photos of it on the ground and in the trailer. It's bad b/c I start to seethe all over again as we have to go through this.

I would imagine that bby now they know there is a restraining order against them - the green card should be here tomorrow, I take that to the police department (and I LOVE ALL the running around I've been forced to do b/c of this) and then the next step is filing to take them to court as soon as the replacement hedge or fence is up - we just have to have incurred all the expenses caused by their destruction.

I cannot even focus on the fact that there was honeysuckle intertwined in the forsythia -- honeysuckle brings me back to dd29's infancy -- I LOVE honeysuckle.....and I heard that st*p*d b**** telling dh that she got rid of all 'viney weeds too ' and we should thank her for that. Honestly, I will cry if I think about it.

No, my kids don't want to go outside - in some way I think they feel as violated as we do.

Well, whoever buys this house is gonna get a KILLER KITCHEN! The custom cabinets arrive next week, the AGA gets installed, the Sub-Zero has been running for 4 weeks, and the Bosch $1500. d/w will get hooked up. THANK HEAVENS I DID NOT GET THE $1600. wall mounted farm house sink.

OH - and HE says to DH - 'I know you won't be able to get these trimmings out of here right away, but if you rent a trailer, it should only take a couple of trips.' Yes, that's what he said!

Twin sons of different (thankfully!) mothers! :lol::lol::lol:......or maybe not, huh? Although, I daresay that Wolf is probably a bit younger than my dh.

Wolf's bmom was Canadian, so probably not...he's in his early 40s. I'm younger :coolgleamA: (no, I won't say by how much!!) I tease him that *I* am his midlife crisis :lol:

AuntieM: Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the debris was quite, ummmmm substantial. DH took a vacation day today, rented a uhaul trailer yesterday, hitched it to my hummer, and was out there this morning making trips to the dump. He made four trips to get it all out of here! I have photos of it on the ground and in the trailer. It's bad b/c I start to seethe all over again as we have to go through this.

I would imagine that bby now they know there is a restraining order against them - the green card should be here tomorrow, I take that to the police department (and I LOVE ALL the running around I've been forced to do b/c of this) and then the next step is filing to take them to court as soon as the replacement hedge or fence is up - we just have to have incurred all the expenses caused by their destruction.

I cannot even focus on the fact that there was honeysuckle intertwined in the forsythia -- honeysuckle brings me back to dd29's infancy -- I LOVE honeysuckle.....and I heard that st*p*d b**** telling dh that she got rid of all 'viney weeds too ' and we should thank her for that. Honestly, I will cry if I think about it.

No, my kids don't want to go outside - in some way I think they feel as violated as we do.

Well, whoever buys this house is gonna get a KILLER KITCHEN! The custom cabinets arrive next week, the AGA gets installed, the Sub-Zero has been running for 4 weeks, and the Bosch $1500. d/w will get hooked up. THANK HEAVENS I DID NOT GET THE $1600. wall mounted farm house sink.

OH - and HE says to DH - 'I know you won't be able to get these trimmings out of here right away, but if you rent a trailer, it should only take a couple of trips.' Yes, that's what he said!

Was your dh able to walk away from him without punching him the face? Because if he was, he deserves a medal.

People are unbelievable!

To quote Miss Hannigan, "Kill, KILL, KILL!!!" :banghead:

:confused1::confused1::confused1::eek::eek::eek::blink::blink::blink:

Ask for a surveillance camera set up in all rooms of their house so that you can "see what other people are doing", too.

Goodness, those people are cracked ! ! !

(Again, I'm so sorry ! I'd gladly help you pick up debris if I lived anywhere near you.)

Thank you -- I think that SWB needs to start a planned community for the Hive!

Was your dh able to walk away from him without punching him the face? Because if he was, he deserves a medal.

People are unbelievable!

Yes, he was; and I communicated EVERYTHING that I had to communicate to them without using any words that had to be bleeped! :hurray:

I would have to say that we were both so STUNNED....well, just that: we were so stunned.

Mariann, I think you are being extremely nice to these people, handling this the way you are. I wholeheartedly admire you.

RC

R.C.: Thank you so much -- you are so kind to say that. When they see what we are going to ask for as far as 'claims' -- well, dh gave up a vacation day, and along with everything else, they will NOT be happy to have to reimbur$e us for that.

We are truly trying to handle all of this within the legal limits of what is available to us.

But, I do want to cry about the honeysuckle!

Edited by MariannNOVA

Mariann, if it were in my power to do so, I would send my pathological liar, weasel, soon to be ex-bil to purchase your house and be the neighbors, new neighbor. They deserve each other!

I wish I could bring you a load of my horse's droppings to throw on their property. You could tell them that you are doing them a favor by fertilizing the lawn for them.

Truly, your neighbors and my bil are two excellent examples of why we need broader involuntary commitment laws and state psychiatric lock-up facilities.

I'm sorry about your honeysuckle. I hope you get to move to the country and plant a bunch of it.

Faith

Mariann, if it were in my power to do so, I would send my pathological liar, weasel, soon to be ex-bil to purchase your house and be the neighbors, new neighbor. They deserve each other!

I wish I could bring you a load of my horse's droppings to throw on their property. You could tell them that you are doing them a favor by fertilizing the lawn for them.

Truly, your neighbors and my bil are two excellent examples of why we need broader involuntary commitment laws and state psychiatric lock-up facilities.

I'm sorry about your honeysuckle. I hope you get to move to the country and plant a bunch of it.

Faith

Faith: I'm sorry about your sister -- and yes, your bil and these people would be a match made in heaven!

Actually, I told dh tonight that I am thinking that I need to do some 'planting' and make sure that everything is fed and manured -- perhaps Memorial Day weekend when we intend to be away for 5 or so days. Now, if I could just get the wind to cooperate so we are not downwind.:D

Gosh Mariann. I'd cut down a privacy hedge to get a glimpse of your AGA :D

Bill (Green-with-envy :tongue_smilie:

I think that your kitchen remodel with all the interesting deliveries are what tipped your neighbor over the edge. "What is going on over there? I can't quite see even with the binoculars. Henry, get the hedge clippers. We're going in!"

DH measured today - they cut down a 74 foot length of shrubs that were 8 feet high!

Nope - this is beyond nosiness -- when I finally walked over to where dh was standing with them, she was telling dh this ridiculous string of rationalizations that in her head made it okay for her to do this. I caught snippets of: 'when the other couple moved in, they didn't have kids yet and they liked to sit outside and have dinner and they didn't want anyone looking at them' (No, they didn't want YOU looking at them), and similar nonsense about the man across the street who owns the house but rents it out -- she struck me as someone who got caught doing something she wasn't supposed to be doing - which is exactly what it was.

Kitchen redo - nah - no one is home at their house all day - they have no idea that a couple of deliveries have been made.

No - I think she has boundary issues - I think that the fact that she has been here for 18 years and we have been here for 18 months makes her think she has some sort of seniority and can pull a stunt like this.

She's not Gladys Kravetz from Bewitched; - really - she is that 'not very bright but thinks she is type' who is clueless and, imo, dangerous.

And as for wanting to see the AGA......she couldn't spell AGA if I spotted her the vowels.:lol::lol::lol:

I get that someone could be really clueless and think this was okay. What I don't get is that she was able to get her husband to do the dirty work!! Do you think she was watching and waiting for you to leave so she could get him over there quick?? Do you think she told him in advance ("when they leave tomorrow, then you go over and cut down the bushes") or was it a spur of the moment thing? Your nutty neighbors are fascinating!! Do you have any pictures to share?

I get that someone could be really clueless and think this was okay. What I don't get is that she was able to get her husband to do the dirty work!! Do you think she was watching and waiting for you to leave so she could get him over there quick?? Do you think she told him in advance ("when they leave tomorrow, then you go over and cut down the bushes") or was it a spur of the moment thing? Your nutty neighbors are fascinating!! Do you have any pictures to share?

She did the cutting too - in fact, dh pulled into the driveway about one minute before me and she had the hedge clippers in her hands - so did her partner in crime, errrrr, I mean, her husband. We were gone for two or so hours -- no wonder it was such a hack job --they cut alot in two hours - fools!

Yes, I think they waited for both cars to be gone -- we had been away from thursday to saturday but that left two vehicles in the driveway, so there wasn't any way of knowing who was there.

On Sunday afternoon, though, both hummers were gone which meant both of us were gone and the kids would be with us.

I do have photos -- I have to find the camera cable -- I will get them posted --

Yes, he was; and I communicated EVERYTHING that I had to communicate to them without using any words that had to be bleeped! :hurray:

I would have to say that we were both so STUNNED....well, just that: we were so stunned.

I'm wholly impressed! I'm afraid I'd have slipped back in to my pre-saved ghetto-speak pretty darn fast. :ohmy:

I'd be sick about the honeysuckle, too. I love honeysuckle. Those people are certifiable!

I'm wholly impressed! I'm afraid I'd have slipped back in to my pre-saved ghetto-speak pretty darn fast. :ohmy:

I'd be sick about the honeysuckle, too. I love honeysuckle. Those people are certifiable!

thank you, thank you! Yes, I impressed myself and dh with my restraint -- I am so surprised that 'bombs' didn't start dropping, but they didn't!:D

I am SO not happy about the honeysuckle - but I am going to plant more honeysuckle......and I am going to make sure it grows up big and strong so I am going to use MANURE:lol:....lots.and.lots.of.manure.:tongue_smilie:

Please make it native Honeysuckle.

Asian honeysuckle is invasive and should not be encouraged. The Asian honeysuckle is what you see strangling bushes and shrubs everywhere. It like saying your are going to plan Kudzu. If you don't know about invasive species of plants, please read up on how they affect the native plants and animals.