Menu

TWTM FOOD Revolution.....

I'm calling on your vast knowledge!!! I have an avocado that according to the label is RIPE.

Now what???? Peel and eat raw, cook and mash, cube and roast, throw to the birds, use as face mask??? What the heck do you do with avocado??

It's our one new thing this week.....

Thanks!

What the heck do you do with avocado??

Thanks!

Guacamole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guacamole

I like adding Penzey's Adobo seasoning to it. I get raves! You can also dry toast some whole cumin and crush it with the back of a spoon and add it. My Mexican friends leave the big pit in the mash, to keep it "fresh" longer. If you don't add tomato until the last minute, and cover very carefully, it will keep.

Guacamole isn't just a dip. You can use it in sandwiches or burritos, or thin it with oil and vinegar to make dressing. Yum.

We leave the peel on and slice ours in half lengthwise, cutting around the pit. Twist gently to separate the haves and pull apart. Pop the pit out (dh uses a kitchen knife to dislodge it). You now have two halves with a big hole in the middle. Fill the holes with a vinaigrette (an equal mixture of red wine vinegar to extra virgin olive oil---- dh usually uses a tablespoon to measure). It's yummy! Just be sure to take scoop a teeny bit of the vinaigrette with each bite--- too much and you'll burn your sinuses. :D

We also use Raspberry Wine Vinegar instead of the regular Red Wine vinegar and it's really good, too. I find the Strawberry Wine Vinegar to be too mild, though.

Oh, we eat this as an appetizer.

one part ice water

one part white balsamic vinegar

one-half part olive oil

a good dollop of Dijon mustard

Stick-blend in as much avocado as will make a thick dressing.

This does well over even strong tasting greens, like lukewarm steamed, drained mustard, or chilled Yuppie Chow.

Avos are full of nutrients.

Buy some hazelnut oil and a handful of shelled hazelnuts. Toast the hazelnuts until you can smell them, and then take them off the heat. Rub them between your hands--this removes the loose brown papery skins. Open the avocados and put one half on each plate. Pour hazelnut oil into the pit hollow, and garnish with a few hazelnuts on the side. So good! (This is a French way to eat avocados.)

I'm calling on your vast knowledge!!! I have an avocado that according to the label is RIPE.

Now what???? Peel and eat raw, cook and mash, cube and roast, throw to the birds, use as face mask??? What the heck do you do with avocado??

Thanks!

Carefully cut it, making a circle around the pit and twist it apart. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh.

You can now:

slice it and put in in a sandwich

dice it with some tomato, red onion, pepper, cilantro and a squeeze of lime

dice it up with red onion and romaine for an avocado salad; make a dressing with 3 parts olive oil, 1 part lemon and/or lime, salt and pepper

slice it up, put a little salt on it and eat it

squish it up, add some cumin, cayenne, fresh garlic and a squeeze of lime for guacamole

dice it and put it on top of enchilada soup

dice it and eat it with some black beans and rice

These are a few of my favorite things...

In the West we eat them mostly as a savoury food, but in Brazil they, apparently, think this is craziness and eat them as sweets. I'm not terribly fond of avocado milkshakes, but you might as well try it to round out your experience!

;)

Rosie- who prefers them "guacomoled;" mashed and mixed with lemon juice and corn kernels.

In the West we eat them mostly as a savoury food, but in Brazil they, apparently, think this is craziness and eat them as sweets. I'm not terribly fond of avocado milkshakes, but you might as well try it to round out your experience!

They're good!!! Blend together a ripe avocado, some milk, and sugar. It should be thick but drinkable. Really yummy.

I mash up avocado and use it on sandwiches in place of mayo. Especially wonderful mixed up with tuna and put on toasted bread.

Also love it the way many others have said...just eaten.....in guac.....sliced on sandwiches.....cubed in a salad......

... cook and mash, cube and roast, .....

Okay when I read this part I thougth "Ewwww". But it got me wondering. I saw someone say they put some in soup, but other than that does anyone actually cook avacadoes? I don't think I've ever seen anything with cooked avacado in it. I've had them on warm before, but they weren't cooked, they were warmed up from the heat of the other food they were with.

So? Cooked avacado?

Make chocolate pudding!!!!

Ingredients:

4 avocadoes

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not dutch processed) OR 1/2 cup carob powder

3/4 cup maple syrup OR honey OR agave nectar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon salt

Method:

Slice the avocadoes in half, remove the pit and scoop the flesh away from the skin.

Add to blender or food processor along with the other ingredients.

Process until smooth.

*Add water in 1 Tablespoon increments if needed to achieve a creamy consistency

variation 1: This pudding makes an excellent pie filling. Just line the bottom of a prepared pie crust with your favorite fruit. Bananas work very well. Spread the chocolate frosting on top of thr fruit. Refrigerate bfore serving.

variation 2: This pudding also makes a great frosting for cakes. Just spread like any other frosting onto your favorite cake.

I first saw this on the Dr. Oz show, but this particular recipe is courtesy of http://abchermes.blogspot.com/2009/01/vegan-chocolate-pudding-recipe-i-just.html

This is a great thread (and I'm glad I'm not the only one new to avocados!). The only way I've eaten them is in place of sour cream, diced over nachos, chili, tacos, burritos, etc. After a couple months of doing this, I have found I kind of miss them if I forget to put them on something. Now I have a ton of other ideas about how to use them!

I would make this:

Texas Caviar

1/2 cup olive oil

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1/8 teaspoon hot sauce or to taste

2 (15 ounce) cans black beans rinsed and drained

2 (11 ounce) cans Mexican style corn, drained

2 medium tomatoes , chopped

1 red bell pepper, chopped

I cup chopped fresh cilantro

1/2 cup chopped red onion

4-6 teaspoons minced garlic

2 large avocados, peeled seeded, and chopped

combine the oil, vinegar, and hot sauce and set aside

combine beans, corn, tomato, red bell pepper, cilantro, onion and garlic in a large bowl.

add dressing and toss to coat.

cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. toss in avocado just before serving. serve with tortilla chips

Make chocolate pudding!!!!

Ingredients:

4 avocadoes

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not dutch processed) OR 1/2 cup carob powder

3/4 cup maple syrup OR honey OR agave nectar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon salt

Method:

Slice the avocadoes in half, remove the pit and scoop the flesh away from the skin.

Add to blender or food processor along with the other ingredients.

Process until smooth.

*Add water in 1 Tablespoon increments if needed to achieve a creamy consistency

variation 1: This pudding makes an excellent pie filling. Just line the bottom of a prepared pie crust with your favorite fruit. Bananas work very well. Spread the chocolate frosting on top of thr fruit. Refrigerate bfore serving.

variation 2: This pudding also makes a great frosting for cakes. Just spread like any other frosting onto your favorite cake.

I first saw this on the Dr. Oz show, but this particular recipe is courtesy of http://abchermes.blogspot.com/2009/01/vegan-chocolate-pudding-recipe-i-just.html

Hmm, I may have to try this one. The kids have been clammering for me to make a chocolate cream pie (I usually just pour pudding into a graham cracker crust and chill), but I am wanting to find healthier things to feed them. This would be a good balance, between what I want and what they want(without them knowing the difference)

I tried it this morning with a little salt. I think it may have been too ripe as it was a little brown at the bottom. I'm going to make dip with it and then get another that isn't so ripe and try that. Thanks for all the ideas. We may be on this one for more than one week!:D

You want it to give a little when you press it, but not too much. It may take a little practice to pick perfect avocados. ;) I like Hass or Shartwell avocados over Florida avocados. The ones from California or Hawaii are better than the ones from Mexico. I'll take ones from Chile in a pinch but I try to avoid the Mexican ones.