Menu

What is your opinion on HS groups that require a statement of faith

What's your take on HS groups requiring a statement of faith before joining  

1. 1. What's your take on HS groups requiring a statement of faith before joining

• I support it 100% and wouldn't feel comfortable joining a group that didn't have this
    • It doesn't bother me all that much, as I'm Christian and prefer to hang out with like-minded others.
    • It bothers me quite a bit and I wish it wasn't 'required'
    • I'd prefer to join a group that was Christian in perspective, but open to all people.
    • I won't join a group that requires this, even though I am Christian.
    • I won't join a group that requires this, as I am not Christian.

First let me state right up front that I am Christian, in my own way. My husband is Jewish. We are very open-minded people, and one reason we homeschool is to widen our children's perspective on the world: introduce them to new cultures, have them meet people of all ages and backgrounds and religions, study world history and the history of other cultures so as to cultivate a broader perspective on life, etc. I was a Cultural Anthropology major in college, and feel strongly that there is no one right path to God.

We moved to a small town in Florida fairly recently, and I am saddened that the only active local homeschool group requires a statement of faith with signature before joining. Through local community activities, I have met some of the families in the group, and they're very nice, and I'd love to be more involved in the field trips, get togethers, etc. But I am really not comfortable signing their statement of faith, one part of which reads:

We must personally receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord: Ă¢â‚¬Å“But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believed in His name.Ă¢â‚¬

John 1:12, Revelation 3:20

I absolutely feel that anybody can and should start any sort of homeschool group they want to, including ones with statements of faith. That is, of course, their right. But it saddens me that anyone would feel excluded from a homeschool community; it might (especially in a smal community such as this one) weaken their resolve to continue homeschooling--I mean, don't we all already feel a bit like outcasts :lol:? I wish homeschool groups (especially when there aren't many options otherwise) wouldn't request this.

What's your perspective?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite common... when we lived in CA, there were secular, pagan, jewish, and christian hs support groups. Some had a statement of belief to be signed as a requirement to join. Others did not. If this will not work for you, why not start your own group? :) Or organize a playgroup or class taught at your home to get to know other HS'ers without the group?

Edited by tex-mex

I did LOL. But I am new here and it would be nice to join one that's 'ready-made' :) Where I used to live, there were MANY options for HS groups, but where we moved, the only active group is the one I referenced.

We do have 11 families in our new group now though! :D (well, only a few are active, but still--it's a good start!)

I personally like having a "statement of faith" much like a "Missions Statement" for leadership, but don't mind if there are people in the group that aren't Christian. In other words, if there's a "Director" of the group, I'd rather well... a Christian... and at that... Conservative... but... as far as who's running in the grass with my children... I'm open on that.

:-)

The obligatory "other" is absent :-). But I totally support the right of a group to require a statement of faith; I don't necessarily need that in order to join a group. So I guess the top selection would be half true for me.

If I don't agree with the SOF, I can find another group or start my own.

I did LOL. But I am new here and it would be nice to join one that's 'ready-made' :) Where I used to live, there were MANY options for HS groups, but where we moved, the only active group is the one I referenced.

We do have 11 families in our new group now though! :D (well, only a few are active, but still--it's a good start!)

Problem solved... lol ;) I've known many hs'ers in your situation who turned a lemon into lemonade. Other parents will thank you for volunteering and sacrificing!

First let me state right up front that I am Christian, in my own way. My husband is Jewish.

We must personally receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord: Ă¢â‚¬Å“But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believed in His name.Ă¢â‚¬

John 1:12, Revelation 3:20

By Christian, are you meaning that you're "culturally Christian" as in... well... someone who knows about Christianity? Because if you mean "Christian" in the sense I think of Christian... then you would believe that to be a Christian you would have to receive Christ.. If that's true, I don't understand what you have against the verse that points to your part in Salvation. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you have against the verse.

Wanna hear a funny?? When I nannied, I was looked at square in the eyes by the four year old... who proceeded to tell me that... "You are a Gentile, I am a Jew." 20 years later, I remember the first time(and probably the last) that I had that announced to me. I just looked bewildered as the parents tried to explain why she was telling me that.

Hmmm.... Yup... I'm a Gentile.

I'd rather not go into what being Christian means to me. Suffice to say, I am not comfortable signing a statement of faith, primarily, I think, because it means that everyone in the group thinks the same thing about religion. I don't really want that in a group of homeschoolers--variety is the spice of my life :)

Our group is clearly Christian. It has Christian in the name and it's mission statement is Christian. That said, we don't have to sign any kind of statement of faith. We have to sign a behavioral agreement and that is it. That essentially consists of control your own kids or you'll be asked not to return.

I would feel bothered by a SOF, mostly because it is very clearly a filter system to keep what they feel is the riff-raff out. That sets off red flags in my mind. Can't stand the elitism mentality.

Needed that "other" choice.

We do not belong to a homeschool group because (1) the Orthodox Church is considered non-Christian where I live, or else (2) as a member of the aforementioned Church, we are not acceptable, even if considered "Christian".

Sorry I didn't include that choice--i don't think i can go back and change it :(

ETA: i am fascinated that so many are choosing the option that states that even though they're Christian, they wouldn't join a group that requires a SOF. I am very interested to hear why :)

I prefer a group without a statement of faith. I've also seen groups that you have to sign a "science statement of faith". It's not called that, but is basically a statement that you will follow young-earth creationist teaching.

I could handle a statement of faith, as I am Christian, but when you start telling me how/what to teach I'm not interested.

Sadly that is the only group in our area and I'm not interested in starting my own group.

We're Christian and we are members of a Christian homeschool group that does not require a statement of faith. I tend to avoid groups that require a statement of faith.

:iagree:

I really do not like it when groups require this since it really has a way of excluding people IMHO. Plus there are many flavors of Christianity not to mention other religions. I would much rather a statement of rules and behavior expectations. I also have no problem with "not going there" with evolution or the age of the earth.

I would much rather see homeschoolers be more welcoming and I find statements of faith not welcoming at all IMHO.

Here's how we handled it in our co-op. We established a Mission Statement that clearly stated our foundational beliefs. We added a statement that reads, "while we do not require the applicant to hold to these beliefs, we do require that these beliefs be respected and not undermined during co-op".

For the area from which we draw, I think we have a good cross section of the religious community represented. We try to avoid conflict, defer to one another, and cover everything with a thick layer of GRACE.

Is this group just like for field trips and park days? In that case I don't think it's necessary at all. I'm a member of the two groups in my area; one is secular, one christian (no statement needed).

Is this a co-op where you are teaching other people's kids? Then I would only join one that DOES bc one of the main reasons I hs is so that my kids are taught what I believe. :D

I really do not like it when groups require this since it really has a way of excluding people IMHO. Plus there are many flavors of Christianity not to mention other religions. I would much rather a statement of rules and behavior expectations. I also have no problem with "not going there" with evolution or the age of the earth.

I would much rather see homeschoolers be more welcoming and I find statements of faith not welcoming at all IMHO.

Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with the rules and behavior expectation (ie. respect). Another thing: since my DH is Jewish, he doesn't feel comfortable with us joining a group that requires a SOF. Just another piece of my puzzle.

Is this group just like for field trips and park days? In that case I don't think it's necessary at all. I'm a member of the two groups in my area; one is secular, one christian (no statement needed).

Is this a co-op where you are teaching other people's kids? Then I would only join one that DOES bc one of the main reasons I hs is so that my kids are taught what I believe. :D

They have field trips, soccer, nature preserve visits. I don't know if they have coop stuff, but wouldn't a "respect your fellow members and their beliefs" be sufficient? I mean, couldn't they say something like "we're a Christian group but welcome all people"--wouldn't that cover the same bases?

Here's how we handled it in our co-op. We established a Mission Statement that clearly stated our foundational beliefs. We added a statement that reads, "while we do not require the applicant to hold to these beliefs, we do require that these beliefs be respected and not undermined during co-op".

This is similar to a few of the groups we've participated in. 'Round our house, we call our beliefs 'liberal Christian' but many would tell me we're not Christian. Whatever. Where we differ from these groups, the kids know not to get into it, and we discuss what we think, at home.

It's hard to find friends in those situations, though, because I find myself constantly on guard, like they might "find me out." We do have a secular group that just does park days & online support & the like, and I can let my hair down there, so to speak.

Can I ask why?

A disclaimer: I am posting from my phone so this is the short version.

I am not necessarily a young earth creationist and this is an issue frequently included in a SOF.

I prefer more inclusive groups. Because my group does not require a SOF it does include Jewish families, Catholic families and other groups that are often intentionally left out by groups with a SOF.

:iagree: Well said.

I like inclusive groups. I find the most interesting people, and some awesome conversations, in those groups. But I also like my faith-based groups, as I find great spiritual support there, and some other awesome conversations. However, I have only ever once joined a group requiring a signed SOF. It wasn't my favorite group, and I have decided against a similar group here.

My group has a statement of faith that is much more involved. I cannot sign it because I am Catholic and one of the tenets goes against Catholicism. I know that other Catholics in the group *have* signed it, but I am not comfortable doing so (I would feel as if I were lying.) I am still allowed to attend, but I cannot lead anything or teach at the co-op.

It is really unfortunate, but I haven't found any other options yet.

A disclaimer: I am posting from my phone so this is the short version.

I am not necessarily a young earth creationist and this is an issue frequently included in a SOF.

I prefer more inclusive groups. Because my group does not require a SOF it does include Jewish families, Catholic families and other groups that are often intentionally left out by groups with a SOF.

Yes! This too.

Exactly. I joined a very welcoming group that did not require a SOF but was sad when a couple friends said that they would never join my co-op because it was not exclusively Christian, although it was run by a church and the head was a very encouraging, kind christian lady. Talk about feeling excluded just because I won't sign a sof or have a pastors reference to meet someone's expectations I would not be considered for their co-ops. My goal was to homeschool my kids and learn from those who have btdt and to help others in their hsing journey and for my kids to have opportunities to take classes I could not teach.

It doesn't bother me at all. I voted that in the poll, although I don't agree with the end of the statement that I "prefer to hang out with like minded individuals" (or however it's worded :001_smile:).

I figure if someone starts a group, they can have members sign whatever they want. I wouldn't be bothered if someone started a group stating their members had to sign a statement saying they don't believe in a god. I simply wouldn't join. I'd be friends with the members, but I just wouldn't join the group.

I think that personally any Christian homeschool group of any size (i.e. ten or more famlies) should have both a statement of faith and formal bylaws/procedures just because ensures consistency and harmony to some extent, but I think that only the leaders need agree to the statement of faith. It doesn't have to be extremely detailed IMHO but enough to define "how" Christian the flavor of the group is. Otherwise I think the membership should be open. Unfortunately I've seen the fruits of doing this different ways, and that is the type of approach the co-op we're with now follows.

I was on the board of a local group that started out with open membership, then went to a generic Christian statement of faith for the leaders, then a generic statement of faith for all, and then a detailed statement of faith for everyone. We left when the statement of faith became something that we could no longer sign in good faith. As the former membership chair, I knew that there were some who signed that really didn't agree with the statement of faith because they wanted to stay with the group (they told me that!), but that was not something that we personally could do.

Edited by GVA

What frustrates me, even more than support groups is that in my state, by far the easiest route to home schooling is to sign on with a Church Related School-so you hit those "Statements of Faith" as an official prerequisite to home schooling at all, unless you really WANT to leave an opening for the local school district to scrutinize your home schooling.

Even as a Christian parent who does include bible study and catechism in my DD's school curriculum that feels just plain wrong. I can't imagine how it feels to someone of another faith or who is Agnostic or Atheist!

I didn't see an answer that would fit me. I'm part of a Christian group which required a statement of faith (very non-denominational) & I'm also part of a couple other groups which are secular/inclusive. There's a place for both & I don't have a problem with either.

I wouldn't sign one of these even if it matched w/ my own beliefs exactly.

This. I really wouldn't feel comfortable participating in a group that was intentionally excluding people based on their faith, or any other reason, even if I agreed with the basic beliefs the group held.

That said, I do understand the people who say they would want a statement of faith (or something similar) when certain subjects are being taught to children. For example, I would not want my kids taking part in a science class that taught young earth creationism, and I respect that someone else wouldn't want their kids in a science class that taught evolution. A document outlining something like this would be acceptable to me simply as a way to ensure everyone understands the perspective of the group. Though I think a general discussion and mission statement should be enough to cover that, and I can't see why it should require people from all teaching and/or participation.

Most of you would probably hate the one I'm a part of then. Not only do they have a statement of faith, but you have to have the pastor of your church sign that you are an active member. It is a pain to do that every year. (I wish they would just keep a record, but you have to be a current member. Someone who left their church and couldn't find another got dropped.) There are poeple in the group from a wide variety of denominations, though.

Christine

I agree with CynthiaOK. It would certainly make me sad if the only active group was one that I couldn't join due to disagreeing with their required statement of faith. If the group required it for membership, then I probably wouldn't be happy in that group long-term anyway.

Good for you starting your own group, floridamamma!

I didn't vote because I'm not sure how to answer. The problem with a 'statement of faith' ime, is that they usually exclude Catholics and most likely Orthodox.

I will not join a group that requires one to sign a statement of faith. I've never seen a Catholic group that requires a statement, but I'm sure they might exist. I would not even sign that for a couple of reasons: I've been on a religious journey and I'm not sure where it will end, and I'm not required to sign a statement of faith to attend Mass so why should I sign one to join a homeschooling group.

As it is, we do not have a group where we feel comfortable due to religious issues.

eta: People are free to require whatever they want; I'm free to not join. So while I wish there were more inclusive groups, I respect their right to require a statement of faith.

I'm kind of halfway between some of your poll choices. I"m a Christian, but don't like to sign statements of faith outside my own church, which is a "generic Christian" church--very orthodox, evangelical, but allows differences of opinion on things outside the basics of Christian belief. (e.g. The church practices believers' baptism, but you can be a member if you were baptized as an infant and believe in that.) I do participate in a once-a-week homeschool with a statement of faith that I signed, but I really don't see why it's necessary, and wish they didn't have it.

I do prefer a group where I'm not constrained about being a Christian, but where others with other beliefs are included but that is as hard in real life as it is here, with each group feeling constrained in some way or another.

I like the way my group does it. We're Christian but open to all. You only need to sign the statement of faith if you want to be in a position of leadership.

Demeaning of others, nonetheless.

One group here told me that we could join, so long as dd and I never, ever opened our mouths and spoke even one syllable about our religious beliefs. I passed on the delightful opportunity for getting to know new people. . . . There was another group with the requirement that dh and I never could teach a class or sit on the board. Other groups keep things simple and insist that I am not a Christian. . . . The nearest secular group, geographically, which would allow us to join is one which, according to friends who used to belong to it, "went goth". That atmosphere does not appeal to us. Why ? Because we are Christians !

Edited by Orthodox6

I don't mind statements of faith, as they make it very clear that these groups are not ones that want my non-theistic participation, which also means I have no desire to participate with them. It makes it easier to choose the right groups for me!

That's not to say I don't associate with people who belong to groups requiring a SOF - I do. Just not during "hs group/co-op/whatever" time.

I am a member of a local group, we organize field trips and parties and other social group events, no classes or group classes anyway. I thought I was comfortable with my group and I thought I fit into the conservative Christian group until I invited a new homeschooler to the group and saw it from her eyes. She was grilled as to why she only pulled out one child to school at home but left her two highschoolers in ps (they are doing great and are almost ready to graduate, for crying out loud) and it was discovered that her husband left her years ago so she is doing it all by herself. She was left to feel bad about these things and that bothered me enough to keep me from attending for over a month now. My kids miss their friends and we may get together socially with some friends, but I am done with the group. I do not like that my friend was grilled as to her level of faith. We do not have a statement of faith. We once took classes at a coop that required a statement of faith and only stayed for that year. I regret that I joined that group.

Well, it isn't just SOF for leadership that discriminate. Sigh, I'm part of our Christian group but it seriously ANNOYS me that they will never let me to be a board member because my husband is a ps teacher. No one associated with the public schools is allowed on the board. Unbelievable, imo.

Demeaning of others, nonetheless.

One group here told me that we could join, so long as dd and I never, ever opened our mouths and spoke even one syllable about our religious beliefs. I passed on the delightful opportunity for getting to know new people. . . . There was another group with the requirement that dh and I never could teach a class or sit on the board. Other groups keep things simple and insist that I am not a Christian. . . . The nearest secular group, geographically, which would allow us to join is one which, according to friends who used to belong to it, "went goth". That atmosphere does not appeal to us. Why ? Because we are Christians !

:iagree::grouphug:

What frustrates me, even more than support groups is that in my state, by far the easiest route to home schooling is to sign on with a Church Related School-so you hit those "Statements of Faith" as an official prerequisite to home schooling at all, unless you really WANT to leave an opening for the local school district to scrutinize your home schooling.

Even as a Christian parent who does include bible study and catechism in my DD's school curriculum that feels just plain wrong. I can't imagine how it feels to someone of another faith or who is Agnostic or Atheist!

:iagree: If I lived there, I'd start a church-related school that wouldn't require a statement of faith. It's a silly boondoggle, because people should be able to homeschool legally, with no more accountability than folks who have religious beliefs.

I would feel bothered by a SOF, mostly because it is very clearly a filter system to keep what they feel is the riff-raff out. That sets off red flags in my mind. Can't stand the elitism mentality.

:iagree:with all of the above--especially the bolded part.

That belongs in the mission statement--not in the requirements to join.

I like the way my group does it. We're Christian but open to all. You only need to sign the statement of faith if you want to be in a position of leadership.

Now that makes sense. People in leadership need to be more or less on the same page in order to maintain the agreed upon focus of the group.