Menu

A Lot of questions could be answered if people read WTM

I kinda wish people would read the book, then ask for clarification on the boards.

Of course, I have read the older edition and ask about the new one, so I get it, and I also know not every one follows WTM here, or has even heard of the book.

Still, it would clear things up a lot if folks would pick up WTM.

Just an observation.

I love the WTM too :001_wub:, but it's also good to keep in mind what kind of an atmosphere SWB has created on these forums. She's so inclusive and so many different people feel comfortable here, it's amazing!

I myself don't have any desire to look at any other hs forums. I so don't fit, I'm not American, not a native English speaker I don't even particularily believe in hs as the only option, yet I can be here and nobody seems to mind :tongue_smilie:.

Not that you said so, but I don't think any type of "go and read the book first" approach would be helpful.

Yes, you are right--it is very inclusive here, and that brings a richness I would sorely miss if it were not so!

I guess I just think it's kind of funny to recommend people read a book that seems linked to this website. Some seem surprised that the book says so much! But, again, I do understand.

I just am sitting here, not motivated to go to church this am, so I thought I'd throw that out there.:D

Edited by Chris in VA

Sometimes I sort of agree with you. I onced asked on the the other side, curriculum forum, if you don't follow WTM, why do you come here? It ended up being a HUGE thread...I wasn't asking in a mean way, but wondered why some of those who don't do anything similiar to WTM would come to a site that created by and promoting WTM. Some of the curriculum that is being used is so NOT WTM, or even classical. I often wonder if they have even read the WTM. I get a the "mixing" of philospohies, ala CM, WTM, LCC, etc but when someone is using something NOT even close to these things, I think huh!??

Now that being said, I do love the variety of opinions, and thoughts that come from here. I have learned about alot of curriculum that I probably would not have even given a 2nd thought. Anytime I want to know something, whether it's HS related or just life, I usually come here as a first point of reference.

So I guess it's a nice hodge-podge of humans, but just wanted to shout out that I understand your thought process :).

TWTM book is not even about spanking! ;) A few M & Ms here and there, but that's it! What is The Grammar Stage, fi? Susan and Jesse say that the goal for grammar stage children is to fill their heads with stories! Can you believe that? lol

Quite different from the 'pile on the piles of writing and workbook pages' a lot of people think is WTM for tots. Ah, if I had a penny for all non -readers here, and irl , who think TWTM is about reams of paperwork for littles.

"Fill their heads with stories". Crazy, I know. lol

PS. This site is far more than The Book. It's a hsing site, first and foremost, and I think the authors are incredibly generous for letting that happen as it has.

Edited by LibraryLover

Quite different from the 'pile on the piles of writing and workbook pages' a lot of people think is WTM for tots. Ah, if I had a penny for all non -readers here, and irl , who think TWTM is about reams of paperwork for littles.

:iagree:

When I see all the curriculum that 3, 4, and 5 year olds are doing I just wonder. :confused: I'm sure a few of them are gifted, but still. Even gifted students don't NEED to do math worksheets when they are 3 and 4.

But maybe that is another thread--the perceived need of homeschooled moms to have their very young children be advanced in grade level. WHY call a 4 or 5 year old a first grader? Just... WHY? My kids read when they are 4 and 5 but they are still kindergarteners. :confused:

Guest janainaz

When I see all the curriculum that 3, 4, and 5 year olds are doing I just wonder. :confused: I'm sure a few of them are gifted, but still. Even gifted students don't NEED to do math worksheets when they are 3 and 4.

But maybe that is another thread--the perceived need of homeschooled moms to have their very young children be advanced in grade level. WHY call a 4 or 5 year old a first grader? Just... WHY? My kids read when they are 4 and 5 but they are still kindergarteners. :confused:

Because it's about the ego of the parents - for bragging rights.

But you know we have to add the caveat. So, Penelope, let's just say it now, and know we may need to repeat it: If your child loves to do reams of paper-work, awesome. let her. Do it. Do it. We don't mean *you*, dear reader.

I have to assume that many people come here through Google, with little understanding of TWTM.

I don't follow the book precisely (though I do refer to it as my bible ;)), and sometimes I let all of the non-WTM info clog my brain and ask questions here when the book isn't within reach. I like getting other perspectives. But I come here primarily because it's TWTM board.

Still, when people ask certain basic questions, I do giggle. I mean, would you go to a biblical discussion group and ask who the first two people were? Or a LOST discussion group and ask what Jack's occupation was? I tend to assume posters have previous knowledge, except when they come right out and say "I have TWTM on hold at the library and was wondering..."

I kinda wish people would read the book, then ask for clarification on the boards.

Of course, I have read the older edition and ask about the new one, so I get it, and I also know not every one follows WTM here, or has even heard of the book.

Just an observation.

Kind of an unfriendly post. (I know you're not unfriendly though, Chris :001_smile:)

To any NEW PEOPLE who may be reading---it's ok to post and ask questions even if you haven't read WTM! Or you've just read some sections, or whatever.

I actually stumbled across this site, and after reading posts and posting a bit decided to buy WTM, then came SOTW, and some other Peace Hill products. I still haven't read the entire WTM. I read it in bits and pieces and then reread.

A couple of things: Today's SUNDAY WASHINGTON EXAMINER (which gets tossed in our driveway on Sunday a.m.), www.washingtonexaminer.com Front Page Story (and I use all three of those words with tongue in cheek) is "Nothing Special About Being Gifted." Now, I realize we are not speaking of gifted vs not-gifted here, but Janainaz' comment about the ego of the parents (did I mention that :iagree: with her) is at the heart of the article.

And, I do recall that 4 or so years ago when I found my way to the WTM boards, it was from doing a google search on 'homeschooling' - that was it -- just googled the word and this was the first link that came up -- and I clicked and began to read. After a few days or hours (not sure) I realized that there was a BOOK behind all of this, and a methodology and I bought said book, BUT many probably land here with no knowledge of the publication or the different methodologies that are out there.

And, Chris, I'm clearly not at Church either - sent dh with the kids, but here I am.:001_smile:

To any NEW PEOPLE who may be reading---it's ok to post and ask questions even if you haven't read WTM! Or you've just read some sections, or whatever.

When I first read TWTM, I was so overwhelmed that I put it on my highest shelf and tried to forget about it.

If I had known that I could ease into it by reading a bit and talking about it here, our first year of homeschooling wouldn't have been the mess that it was.

My son, who reads these boards, often turns to me and says (something to the effect of) "does everyone think their child is advanced?" LOL

What burns me up is when people say "so, what does SWB say to do for literature in her book?" And then, "Ok, how about for history?"

Well, um, why don't you buy it or get it out of the library? How do you think she is paying for this site?

But I'm judgmental like that...

a

My son, who reads these boards, often turns to me and says (something to the effect of) "does everyone think their child is advanced?" LOL

What burns me up is when people say "so, what does SWB say to do for literature in her book?" And then, "Ok, how about for history?"

Well, um, why don't you buy it or get it out of the library? How do you think she is paying for this site?

But I'm judgmental like that...

a

Well then I am judgmental as well. Frankly I find a refusal to actually engage with TWTM book to be self defeating with regard to whether one is confident and successful with the task of classical home education. Certainly it is not for everyone nor for every course but there is so much to be gained in terms of managing time, family peacekeeping and the all important admonitions regarding the seasons of life so as to avoid the trap of becoming a frustrated, resentful parent. A nap, shower or sandwich are certainly good enough options to defuse a potential blow up in the years when one becomes a facilitator to their young adult learner. There is a lot of hard earned wisdom in the seeminly extraneous parts of the book that have saved my sanity on more than one occasion.

But you know we have to add the caveat. So, Penelope, let's just say it now, and know we may need to repeat it: If your child loves to do reams of paper-work, awesome. let her. Do it. Do it. We don't mean *you*, dear reader.

:tongue_smilie: I probably should stay away from this thread with my current snarky mood.

I should say that it isn't any of my business what people do with their children's education. It isn't. But I agree with you that what people perceive as TWTM education for a preschooler or kindergartener is nothing like what SWB espouses in her book. And it seems sad to me. Only a few years ago my oldest was 3 and 4 and I was very excited about homeschooling. I'm very glad that I listened to all the people that told me not to start the heavy academics then, even though he was clearly so smart.

LOL I too often post when in a snarky mood. I have 48 hours of banned camp under my belt to prove it. It might be 72 hours, i can't be sure. lol

:tongue_smilie: I probably should stay away from this thread with my current snarky mood.

I should say that it isn't any of my business what people do with their children's education. It isn't. But I agree with you that what people perceive as TWTM education for a preschooler or kindergartener is nothing like what SWB espouses in her book. And it seems sad to me. Only a few years ago my oldest was 3 and 4 and I was very excited about homeschooling. I'm very glad that I listened to all the people that told me not to start the heavy academics then, even though he was clearly so smart.

I never recommend people with tots to read TWTM. It's too much all at once. Plus, imo, it's nearly impossible for one person to do all that. If a parent insists on reading it and then comes back freaked, I warn them. "Few people do all that, in that way. The authors have said they were asked to put the program in a certain form for publication and readability". Further, Susan has written that she has her mother to help with some schooling of the children, and has what looks like a highly involved dh/father. (Gosh I don't enjoy talking about her like she's not here or as if I know her...lol). If one of them comes in comes sets my sorry bum straight, I deserve it.

Come here for a couple of years and yak about books and book lists. Reading Goodnight Moon a thousand times to your kid is more important than reading and freaking out with TWTM in the early years. OTOH, I think Susan's WTM for adults is good. If you expect it from your child, expect it from yourself.

I've read some posts where the writer seems completely unfamiliar with TWTM.

However I think for many it's the practical application that they are asking about. I've read the book several times, but as a new homeschooler, I find it a challenge seeing what that translates to practically at times.

I've read some posts where the writer seems completely unfamiliar with TWTM.

However I think for many it's the practical application that they are asking about. I've read the book several times, but as a new homeschooler, I find it a challenge seeing what that translates to practically at times.

See, I think asking about practical application or clarification of what one has read in WTM or even saying, "I need an alternative" are *great* uses of these boards. I don't think those are the sort of posts Chris was talking about at all. :)

It's the posts where people seem to want to be told How to Home School in 50 Words or Less that frustrate me. Read the book. Think about it. Come here to discuss or look for options or clarification or explanation... And if WTM really *isn't* even at *all* one's interest, I really think there are better home school boards available.

It's the posts where people seem to want to be told How to Home School in 50 Words or Less that frustrate me. Read the book. Think about it. Come here to discuss or look for options or clarification or explanation... And if WTM really *isn't* even at *all* one's interest, I really think there are better home school boards available.

This.

Most times I have a question about *methods*, I can skim the relevant portion of WTM for the 1,000,000th time, and it's clarified. But options when the WTM way just won't work for your kid, or the WTM-curriculum won't work, or the suggested resources are OP, or... that, to me, is what I feel the biggest strength of the boards is.

I will point out, though, that I understand people reading WTM and then forgetting what it says. I first read WTM when I was still *pregnant* with my first (don't ask), have read each edition multiple times, and as I'm in the midst of planning for next year... I have it on my desk, because I'm re-reading a page or two at least once a day.

Sometimes I sort of agree with you. I onced asked on the the other side, curriculum forum, if you don't follow WTM, why do you come here? It ended up being a HUGE thread...I wasn't asking in a mean way, but wondered why some of those who don't do anything similiar to WTM would come to a site that created by and promoting WTM. Some of the curriculum that is being used is so NOT WTM, or even classical. I often wonder if they have even read the WTM. I get a the "mixing" of philospohies, ala CM, WTM, LCC, etc but when someone is using something NOT even close to these things, I think huh!??

Now that being said, I do love the variety of opinions, and thoughts that come from here. I have learned about alot of curriculum that I probably would not have even given a 2nd thought. Anytime I want to know something, whether it's HS related or just life, I usually come here as a first point of reference.

So I guess it's a nice hodge-podge of humans, but just wanted to shout out that I understand your thought process :).

Lol. I understand the thought process too...at the same time...I've probably read WTM more than most people. I read it three or four times a year (in its entirety) and I own the original and both revisions. At the same time, while I follow the progression of a neo-classical education, I don't use many of the same materials that someone who considers themselves neo-classical might use. As a result, I probably look very different than a "true" WTM user. But I've been on these forums (though I rarely contributed in my early days here) for...eight(?) years now...what I planned on doing with my kids and what I've found to work for them are two very different things. I use WTM and some other resources as my starting point and move from there.

I think too, that these forums are easy to "pop" across...you just find them because they're so busy and so populated. So you might end up here even though you've never even heard of WTM before. Then you're going to ask questions in order to find out how it works and if it's something you want to pursue.

I think others just are overwhelmed by the book itself. It seems huge to contemplate accomplishing all of that during one child's school years and it can be hard to break down if you didn't start reading it when your first child was six weeks old (blush)...

Just an observation.

I've read the other posts but I agree w/you! I feel like 1/2 the time I post, it is to recommend OPG - hello! :D:grouphug::tongue_smilie:

TWTM book is not even about spanking! ;) A few M & Ms here and there, but that's it! What is The Grammar Stage, fi? Susan and Jesse say that the goal for grammar stage children is to fill their heads with stories! Can you believe that? lol

"Fill their heads with stories". Crazy, I know. lol

You know, I've just pulled down my first edition of WTM of the shelf and started reading it from the beginning again, and it really is enlightening. Kindergarten is about learning to read, form letters, count etc, and LOTS of reading aloud about a wide variety of things, and just learning things through life. Grammar stage has lots of 'filling head with stories' - truly!!! And the author clearly says not to try and advance through grades at certain ages, but to really master one stage or process before going on to the next, with just the general goal of reaching fourth grade level at the end of fourth. :001_smile: There's lots of reading and enjoying in there with little bursts of learning to write through copying/dictation etc.

Hmmm, I'm raving I know, but have just been all reinspired :D

PS: It's Monday morning here, and I sent my family to church without me yesterday too. It was nice and quiet - perfect for reading my WTM book ;)

Edited by LindaOz

While I get that this board is broadly welcoming of homeschoolers, and I can appreciate the "beauty" of that, as a fairly new homeschooler (my homeschooled kids are in 2nd and 1st grades), I would benefit more from a board that focused more on WTM methods and didn't have so many rabbit trails. I agree with whomever posted that if someone isn't even remotely interested in WTM-style or classical homeschooling, there are probably better boards.

But I'm not going to light a torch and go on a purge or anything. ;)

Tara

I've read the book a few times, and I love it! I've tried all sorts of things SWB recommends. Everything doesn't work with my kids. BUT, the underlying philosophy, I guess you could say, is what I want for my homeschool, so I keep coming back, even if I'm not following the book exactly, or sometimes even very closely, it looks like! I enjoy the vast information available here! It's amazing to have so many well-versed people in one place! I ahve learned an amazing amount that I would have never known otherwise, even on other homeschool boards!

I would hate to think that people thought my questions and problems were trivial, because they didn't relate directly to the book, or maybe I hadn't read it all yet! I don't think that's what you're saying, it's just that I wouldn't want someone else to come here and THINK that's what's being said, so they don't ask! I'd rather them ask something I think should be obvious if they'd have read the book, than not ask at all, and not experience the richness that can be found on the board!

I agree with whomever posted that if someone isn't even remotely interested in WTM-style or classical homeschooling, there are probably better boards.

I'd be interested in hearing where some of those other board are.

I'm strongly secular, so the forums where posters are ultra conservative and fundamentalist without having strong moderation are useless to me. (HomeSchool Reviews - very very very unwelcoming) And of course that keeps me off of Bob Jones, Abeka, and other publishers.

I consider myself an eclectic homeschooler. I did read WTM when considering homeschool and I do like many of the philosophies, but I'm following my son more than following an approach.

I've encountered one secular homeschool board but posting was very sporadic.

I did get a copy of the 3rd edition of WTM so it's a part of my reference library now, so I won't be asking for SWB's specific recommendations - I've got that.

I do like how these boards are welcoming (apart from some of the political & cc threads - which I avoid when I can). I like how there's a strong desire to actually educate our children. If getting by was enough, I'd let him go to p.s. (if I felt safe with his allergies).

But for those of you saying "there are other boards that are better for you" (not just Tara), where are those boards? Because I looked for over a year before stumbling across these boards and feeling a sense of welcoming and a sense of community.

I have been hsing for 7 years, and I too would like to know where are these 'better'- suited boards are. I've been around the block, and this is the most diverse, most comprehensive board around, ime.

You can talk abut relaxed schooling here and not get your head chopped off . Sometimes people even encourage it. You can talk about regular hsing here and not get your head chopped off. You can talk about classical hsing here and not get your head chopped off. You can say pretty much anything and someone will get you. You can even talk about unschooling...although most aren't going to cheer 'Yeah, awesome!" But still --people are pretty mild -mannered, and lots of folks understand unschooling doesn't mean Do Nothing, in the same way rigorous doesn't mean No Fun For You!.

And people do know there is a curric board, right? They actually talk about curricula there. Really. And there is also a high school board with awesome info.

This is the yack board...although I know some people would like to chop your head off because of that. But the beauty is that they *do not*.

I do like that you can now get your head chopped off for advocating child abuse.

Speaking of classical education and chopping:

Divorced beheaded and died

Divorced beheaded survived

Edited by LibraryLover

:001_smile: Am I right? lol

You know, I've just pulled down my first edition of WTM of the shelf and started reading it from the beginning again, and it really is enlightening. Kindergarten is about learning to read, form letters, count etc, and LOTS of reading aloud about a wide variety of things, and just learning things through life. Grammar stage has lots of 'filling head with stories' - truly!!! And the author clearly says not to try and advance through grades at certain ages, but to really master one stage or process before going on to the next, with just the general goal of reaching fourth grade level at the end of fourth. :001_smile: There's lots of reading and enjoying in there with little bursts of learning to write through copying/dictation etc.

Hmmm, I'm raving I know, but have just been all reinspired :D

PS: It's Monday morning here, and I sent my family to church without me yesterday too. It was nice and quiet - perfect for reading my WTM book ;)

Come here for a couple of years and yak about books and book lists. Reading Goodnight Moon a thousand times to your kid is more important than reading and freaking out with TWTM in the early years. OTOH, I think Susan's WTM for adults is good. If you expect it from your child, expect it from yourself.

Feeling totally convicted here.... I am shutting the computer down and going to read fairy tales to dd5.... Er, maybe after making some popcorn Just Because.

I will probably get tomatoes thrown at me, but I haven't read TWTM. I came here from another board that was curriculum specific and you couldn't ask about anything that wasn't verbatim what the curriculum recommended. Another poster on that board recommended TWTM boards and home school review boards to me as well as home school spot in a private message.

The reason I love TWTM is because you can search for almost any curriculum and find opinions, pros and cons, and people that have really used the curriculum. I want an actual copy of my own so I haven't tried to check it out from the library. I love to highlight and such and really want to read it through when I get it (TWTM). I went from a totally planned out for me boxed type curriculum to a very good mixture of things for next year.

If I wouldn't have come here and hung around and asked what probably seemed like stupid questions, then I wouldn't be using

1. LLATL

2. Spelling Workout

3. Saxon Math

4. Singapore Math

5. Handwriting without Tears

and many, many others next year.

I also wouldn't have compared R&S English and others. I probably would have jumped on Teaching Textbooks and then hated it. Just different things.

I love that this forum is so open and the author has let the board evolve and become what it is today. I feel a freedom to speak here that I don't find on other home school boards. I hope that I buy the book soon and read through it, but I don't feel like I shouldn't ask questions or post b/c I haven't read it. I don't feel like someone is going to give me a slap on the wrist b/c of it either. Only 1 thread that I posted did I get the, "Go read TWTM response".

I will probably get tomatoes thrown at me, but I haven't read TWTM. I came here from another board that was curriculum specific and you couldn't ask about anything that wasn't verbatim what the curriculum recommended. Another poster on that board recommended TWTM boards and home school review boards to me as well as home school spot in a private message.

The reason I love TWTM is because you can search for almost any curriculum and find opinions, pros and cons, and people that have really used the curriculum. I want an actual copy of my own so I haven't tried to check it out from the library. I love to highlight and such and really want to read it through when I get it (TWTM). I went from a totally planned out for me boxed type curriculum to a very good mixture of things for next year.

If I wouldn't have come here and hung around and asked what probably seemed like stupid questions, then I wouldn't be using

1. LLATL

2. Spelling Workout

3. Saxon Math

4. Singapore Math

5. Handwriting without Tears

and many, many others next year.

I also wouldn't have compared R&S English and others. I probably would have jumped on Teaching Textbooks and then hated it. Just different things.

I love that this forum is so open and the author has let the board evolve and become what it is today. I feel a freedom to speak here that I don't find on other home school boards. I hope that I buy the book soon and read through it, but I don't feel like I shouldn't ask questions or post b/c I haven't read it. I don't feel like someone is going to give me a slap on the wrist b/c of it either. Only 1 thread that I posted did I get the, "Go read TWTM response".

:thumbup:

I think this was boaard was started for TWTM users. However, SWB NEVER has claimed that TWTM Book IS the homeschooling Bible, and nothing else will work. She's been very modest and open, including understanding that of all the people represented here on this board, that kids are different, parents are different, backgrounds are different, yet one can share and compare and be enlightened and be able to have a much richer homeschool experience by allowing this board to be as it is!

That's a bit unfair. What about the other reason? That they are petrified that they will fall short and won't educate their children well enough. My, my. Is that an unfamiliar thought to anyone? Is anyone going to mandate when one has the right to feel that way? Not acceptable before grade 2, grade 8, or when? Of course not. We all know motherhood guilt can attack at any time and put us into a whirlwind of panic.

Then there's another reason. If I can teach little Jonnie to read by the time he is four, that will prove to my husband/family that I really can do this and they will have to stop criticising and support me!

But you are probably right that some people are in it for bragging rights. Seems a funny thing to brag about to me, but we can't all be professional scrapbookers and able to whip up historical costumes just by looking at a painting. To be honest, I'm more impressed by women who can do school, keep their houses reasonably tidy, their families fed with reasonably healthy meals (thou shalt not feed everyone peanut butter on toast for more than two meals per day) AND shower at some point during the day. I'm impressed with me if I can do two of the above, and I never get all four going on the same day.

Rosie

Hmmm, I didn't take the op's post the same way others did. I agree that I wish many would read TWTM book but mostly because I'm not sure *how* much of the content of the book to discuss. I don't want to talk so much about SWB's hard work that it defeats the point of actually purchasing the book.

So when someone asks for a reading list for the Middle Ages, I'm likely to give them a list of the *some* of the books we read but without copying SWB's list from her book.

Difficult to know sometimes whether to direct people to TWTM or just assume they aren't homeschooling in a classical way and are interested in a wider range of methods.

As far as the other discussion, I find it really insulting for more relaxed homeschoolers to assume that anyone with a rigorous academic approach is doing it just for the kuddos. I get that crap all the time from my co-op which is why I don't talk about methodology any more.

Along that same line, I have noticed that when I sit back and evaluate weak areas in my kids' education I find that if I'd followed WTM more closely I'd have addressed them already. (Ugh, like sentence writing. That one was horrible, but hey, it's been that kinda day) Case in point - writing. We use IEW, but I found that my kids couldn't really write a good book report. Hmmm, what was that about a reading notebook in WTM? Ouch. Time and time again I find that if I'd followed the book more closely I'd have avoided some problems. Not saying that it is perfect or a homeschooling bible, but dang, it's good. :)

When I first read TWTM, I was so overwhelmed that I put it on my highest shelf and tried to forget about it.

If I had known that I could ease into it by reading a bit and talking about it here, our first year of homeschooling wouldn't have been the mess that it was.

I read it, and read it, and read it, and I was sooooo overwhelmed. I tried to implement it, but it didn't work! Whether that was my fault, my dc's learning style or whatever, it was so nice to have an inclusive board that sympathized with me and gave me ideas of where to go. When you go to the boards of other specific curriculum, you don't get the answers you need. A lot of times it's, "well, you're the problem," and that's not helpful. I love talking all kinds of curriculum, all kinds of families and all kinds of styles here. It has helped us immensely!

Going forward, we use so much more of what she recommends. My youngest has been WTM all the way this year! It's been great! Even though we won't be strictly WTM next year, SWB gives me encouragement! Her book is so knowledgeable and helpful for those of us that don't have "in the box" kids.

Blessings!

Dorinda

To be honest, I'm more impressed by women who can do school, keep their houses reasonably tidy, their families fed with reasonably healthy meals (thou shalt not feed everyone peanut butter on toast for more than two meals per day) AND shower at some point during the day. I'm impressed with me if I can do two of the above, and I never get all four going on the same day.

Rosie

UH OH! Then I'm in big trouble!!! :lol:

Rosie, you're totally right. You have such a way with words!

Dorinda

I read the book back when I was just beginning to think about homeschooling. I didn't have warm fuzzy feelings about it. In fact, I had quite the opposite feeling. I couldn't think of a more boring way to homeschool.

Years later, I found these boards seeking help with homeschooling my daughter. Since then, I've found and use SOTW. I even took a second look at TWTM. Maybe I'll look at it again.

(no tomatoes please)

I came to the board first through the Well-Trained Mind site. I had taken the 1999 edition of the book out of the library when I was considering hs and read it cover to cover and wanted more. I have to admit, at first I was a little put off by all the non-WTM curric discussions. I had anticipated a community where we all discussed the minutia of implementing the method and how it was or was not working for our children. I personally own the 1999 and 2009 versions and use some recommendations from 1999 and some from 2009.

However, over time, I came to realize the value of others experiences. I never would have learned about MEP Math to supplement my Singapore Math, as well as interesting literature recommendations. We do follow the WTM pretty closely because it is what works for us.

Originally Posted by janainaz viewpost.gif

That's kindof an unfair statement! There are so many reasons why families start out on one path and move to another. Perhaps a family started out with TWTM and it didn't work for them or their students?

What about the state requirements of the family...I live in Pa and for a K'er the list of things they want you to do is huge....

Couple that with the fear of failure and who knows what kind of family opposition and there is no telling where that family might end up at the end of the year.

That being said does that mean that some of the suggestions ( because they are just that) in the book Will Not work for everyone, even the ones that do want to classically educate. So to come on here to ask for suggestions or help when you've tried something and don't know what to do and to hear " You should just read the book" is kinda like a stab to the chest!

Just wanted to throw my 2cents in because I have felt the wrath of the " I've been homeschooling for years and your doing it wrong" crowd a few times.....

Besides that If it were just for WTMers then the rest would be banned wouldn't they??

Speaking of classical education and chopping:

Divorced beheaded and died

Divorced beheaded survived

:lol: My ds walks around saying this all.the.time. He thinks it's a hoot. It kinda cracks me up that he thinks it's so funny. Now the lady in line at the grocery store yesterday didn't share the appreciation though. :D