Menu

A Lot of questions could be answered if people read WTM

Along that same line, I have noticed that when I sit back and evaluate weak areas in my kids' education I find that if I'd followed WTM more closely I'd have addressed them already. (Ugh, like sentence writing. That one was horrible, but hey, it's been that kinda day) Case in point - writing. We use IEW, but I found that my kids couldn't really write a good book report. Hmmm, what was that about a reading notebook in WTM? Ouch. Time and time again I find that if I'd followed the book more closely I'd have avoided some problems. Not saying that it is perfect or a homeschooling bible, but dang, it's good. :)
:iagree:I also notice that if you read the book and follow it as written you aren't driving yourself crazy trying to do too much! I mean, really people who are doing it all and taking all day aren't doing that TWTM says!

Well then I am judgmental as well. Frankly I find a refusal to actually engage with TWTM book to be self defeating with regard to whether one is confident and successful with the task of classical home education.

OK, well, then let me say a couple of things that may sound arrogant and that may get me slammed. :o:

I haven't read TWTM. I've been working towards the ideal of classical self-education/homeschooling since I was a teenager in the 1980s. I prepared for my degree in classics by afterschooling myself in Latin and Greek throughout high school, using the only two books I could find - Wheelock and Hansen/Quinn. I checked out TWTM from the library a few weeks ago and it didn't grab me so I returned it. It just seemed like a bunch of lists. I've been compiling and revising my own lists for a long, long time. The minute I heard the word "homeschooling" (probably around age 20?) I knew that was what I was going to do - and (roughly) how. So I may find TWTM useful at some point, but only in the same way that is true of, say, Math Mammoth.

I'm here for the things I don't already know. Namely what kind of materials are currently out there to make the job easier. Some people think it's unclassical to do worksheets. (Incidentally why are they any worse than copywork? Why reject the advances in educational psychology on which the better ones are based, other than to make yourself feel old-fashioned and rarified?) IMO it's a heck of a lot MORE unclassical to do homeschooling from a list of books set before you by a contemporary author you treat as an authority/celebrity.

Frankly, on the one hand I am thrilled to find people who have a vision *somewhat* similar to my own but on the other hand some of this seems almost..... gimmicky. E.g.: I'm sure SOTW is a fine book and I bet I will even use it as some point. But to base your kids' whole history learning around it (which, again, I haven't read TWTM so I'm not sure, but by the discussions I hear around here that seems to be the primary mode of use)?????? I am being kind of elitist here because I am the kind of history nerd who can start gabbing ex tempore about almost any historical period (ask my DH lol). I know not everybody can be like that or has to be like that. But honestly, a huge part of the classical ideal is the ability to make your own judgments, and if you don't already have the knowledge base yourself, you can't make those judgments and what you are doing is ipso facto not "classical." The author is making those judgments for you. Making reading/following this one, contemporary book the sine qua non of "classical home education" is therefore totally backwards.

If you don't have the background, you can acquire it, but you kind of have to make it your life. Even with everything I already have under my belt I feel like I still have to make it my life to get to where I want to be with it by the time my DD is mature. And frankly I cringe when I see people trying to "teach" Latin by staying three pages ahead of their kids. Virgil and Cicero will make hamburger of that strategy.

But you know, "classical" isn't mandatory, it's not necessary to be "classical" to be doing a better job than the public schools, and personally one of my values as a homeschooler is that what I teach be a true reflection of myself and my values. I imagine other people feel the same way too. So it seems to me that most people who don't actually have the background, and aren't able to make a major project of acquiring it, probably are better off with something like Sonlight. Because they do have the background to make competent judgments about what they find there and I don't see how that is any worse than letting SWB or any other author lead them by the hand on the subject of the "classical."

For example I see Christians debating whether certain aspects of the pagan classics are appropriate, given the context of their religious beliefs. You know what? That is a huge, huge philosophical debate and has been for two thousand years. HUGE and it's not going to end. Don't ask a message board! Ask Tertullian. Ask Boethius. Ask Augustine. Ask Aquinas and Luther and then, if you're really brave, ask contemporary Mormon thinkers about the conflict between Hellenistic philosophical theology and literal interpretation of Biblical descriptions of G-d.

That's the "classical" approach to the problem - not pat reassurances that "without the myths they won't understand Shakespeare". Is that important to you? Well - there's another question! Oliver Cromwell would say it's very important NOT to study the theatre - and I know some of you here are Reformed, right?

What I'm saying is that the question of what to study is itself a "classical" question and the learned people of the past, whom we admire, are remembered because they used their background to help push knowledge FORWARD. I mean, there are people here who don't want their children to understand "rigorous" science, and THAT sure as heck isn't classical!

So kindly don't tell me I'm not classical enough if I'm not following this one particular book. I mean that as nicely as possible.

Edited by Elisheva

What burns me up is when people say "so, what does SWB say to do for literature in her book?" And then, "Ok, how about for history?"

Well, um, why don't you buy it or get it out of the library? How do you think she is paying for this site?

But I'm judgmental like that...

There are occasionally people who ask questions, like wanting the entire grammar stage book list, that make me think they are hoping to get the book's information w/o buying the book.

:iagree: This is what gets on my nerves sometimes.

It happened recently on the curric. board where several posters wanted someone to post something from TWTM that would clearly be a copyright violation. (It was pages of information.) The original poster stated several times that it was in TWTM and anyone could get the info if they just looked it up.

I was :confused: as to why people kept asking her to post it!

" You should just read the book" is kinda like a stab to the chest!

I don't think anyone is complaining about "Well that didn't work, now what should I do?" or "Huh? I've read the recs and don't understand a word." Of course people with questions like those should come here for support. I think people are justified in getting a bit irate when someone wants entire book lists copied out (I don't mean personal compilations, but the list from the WTM book,) or for someone to copy the Logic Stage history section, more or less in its entirety. People with those sorts of questions really do need to put a hold on at the library if they don't want to buy a copy.

Rosie

This thread motivated me to finally go out today and buy a copy of the book today :001_smile: I've been meaning to for awhile now. From what I've managed to read so far, I think the curriculum I'm using follows the classical approach -- or at least follows large aspects of it. I found Jessie's story really inspiring. I can't say I totally agree with concept of just reading instead of passively viewing material. I often use videos to reinforce concepts we're reading about, and it works especially well for DS. DD seems to retain what I read to her, and DS retains what he watches. I'm gleaning a lot of useful information though, and I'm glad I finally got around to making the purchase.

LOL Then he will *love* this. I have posted this before, but just in case you haven't seen it , here it is again:

:lol: My ds walks around saying this all.the.time. He thinks it's a hoot. It kinda cracks me up that he thinks it's so funny. Now the lady in line at the grocery store yesterday didn't share the appreciation though. :D

I never recommend people with tots to read TWTM. It's too much all at once. Plus, imo, it's nearly impossible for one person to do all that. If a parent insists on reading it and then comes back freaked, I warn them. "Few people do all that, in that way. The authors have said they were asked to put the program in a certain form for publication and readability". Further, Susan has written that she has her mother to help with some schooling of the children, and has what looks like a highly involved dh/father. (Gosh I don't enjoy talking about her like she's not here or as if I know her...lol). If one of them comes in comes sets my sorry bum straight, I deserve it.

Come here for a couple of years and yak about books and book lists. Reading Goodnight Moon a thousand times to your kid is more important than reading and freaking out with TWTM in the early years. OTOH, I think Susan's WTM for adults is good. If you expect it from your child, expect it from yourself.

I get what you're saying, but I read TWTM when my first was a baby and we began to really seriously consider homeschooling in our future. I'm glad I did because it gave me several years to think and chew on it and wrap my brain around it before we had to do it. I think that picking it up a couple of months before we were ready to start K or even 1st grade would have been a lot more overwhelming. It also gave me plenty of time to look around and compare with other methods/ideas/resources that are out there. Course, I didn't read it and then freak out either. Maybe I'm just weird. :001_smile:

We're in Pa, too and the state does not set forth specifics that must be taught at each grade. Are you sure your district isn't illegally asking you to do things that are not state required? In fact K isn't even mandatory in Pa. nor do you have to register your child at age 5, 6 or even 7. Not sure about 7, though.

Nan

I get what you're saying, but I read TWTM when my first was a baby and we began to really seriously consider homeschooling in our future. I'm glad I did because it gave me several years to think and chew on it and wrap my brain around it before we had to do it. I think that picking it up a couple of months before we were ready to start K or even 1st grade would have been a lot more overwhelming. It also gave me plenty of time to look around and compare with other methods/ideas/resources that are out there. Course, I didn't read it and then freak out either. Maybe I'm just weird. :001_smile:

Maybe you are. Maybe you aren't. lol At any rate, you are not the only one. ;)

" Why reject the advances in educational psychology on which the better ones are based, other than to make yourself feel old-fashioned and rarified?) IMO it's a heck of a lot MORE unclassical to do homeschooling from a list of books set before you by a contemporary author you treat as an authority/celebrity. "

You are arrogant . I would respond line by line but have not the time or interest in so doing. I am pleased that you consider yourself above utilizing a resource that collects and organizes resources for those who wish to provide a well rounded, classical education for their children. Bully for you. With my degrees in philosophy, biology , theology and a law degree for good measure, I still desperately grapple with culling the best of what has been thought and recorded in human history and when to share that knowledge and how best to do so. Fortunately the Jesuit colleges I attended taught me some humility and self discipline as well . Best wishes on homeschooling your child and it might be worthwhile to consider reading a book before dismissing it as gimmicky or in some way simply dross . In my point of view iron sharpens iron. I absolutely enjoy the whole process of reading what others put forth as canonical and many times I will absolutely disagree and use what I believe to be superior or simply more appropriate work. For instance , I find Augustine's efforts at philosophy and theology to be unremarkable . A classic misogynist with sexual issues but nothing more and would not waste time on him. Hildegard of Bingen , interesting. Maimonides , definitely worth our time. Does my preference for one theologian over one suggested by another make the suggestion a waste? Certainly not . In my experience there is nothing better than confronting one's own predilections against those of another equally able to make a judgment. Jacques Barzun's book, Begin Here , is certainly another strong influence on choices made in our home and what I consider a must read for those interested in solid pedagogy.

So kindly don't tell me I'm not classical enough if I'm not following this one particular book. I mean that as nicely as possible.

I never indicated one was not classical enough by not using this book I said it was self defeating not to . That is very different . In fact you misunderstand the use of SOTW as a source for history and further there are many suggestions and reviews of various resources for science, math , geography and the like. It all depends as well on what you are using the word classical to mean is it subject matter, methodology , both or are you limiting the use of the word as it is used as a subject for a major in classics?? Certainly one can go round and round with those questions as well. Call me dim but I prefer to criticize a book after I have actually read it.

Course, I didn't read it and then freak out either. Maybe I'm just weird. :001_smile:

I didn't freak out...I immediately started to implement it with my oldest son...who hates history. So it didn't work out too well, which is really a shame, because my younger dc would have loved it and done well with it. So now we're back to doing some of it (now that I shipped the history-hating one off to college, where he discovered a love of the history of Taiwan. Go figure! :confused:)

I checked out TWTM from the library a few weeks ago and it didn't grab me so I returned it. It just seemed like a bunch of lists. I've been compiling and revising my own lists for a long, long time. The minute I heard the word "homeschooling" (probably around age 20?) I knew that was what I was going to do - and (roughly) how. So I may find TWTM useful at some point, but only in the same way that is true of, say, Math Mammoth.

I'm here for the things I don't already know. Namely what kind of materials are currently out there to make the job easier. Some people think it's unclassical to do worksheets. (Incidentally why are they any worse than copywork? Why reject the advances in educational psychology on which the better ones are based, other than to make yourself feel old-fashioned and rarified?) IMO it's a heck of a lot MORE unclassical to do homeschooling from a list of books set before you by a contemporary author you treat as an authority/celebrity.

Elisheva,

I'd really be interested in reading your book, since you sound very enlightened in this area. I for one, need enlightening! Considering the fact that I am constantly learning. The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to learn (possibly a fundamental law of arguing, maybe intro. to logic?).

I find that I need a references, along with clear outlines, and suggestions. Amazingly, this just happen to be provided in TWTM.

I truly gained confidence just knowing that in 1973, a time when hs was not acceptable, Jessie Wise had faith to do what was right for her and it worked. Proof is right here, wouldn't you say? Her story succeeded in giving me the determination to give hs a try. I'm not claiming to be perfect, or stating that I follow all the directions. I wouldn't be visiting WTM's forum if I didn't question everything, including myself and my abilities to teach my dd. Just feels good to know others are worried about the same thing, educating their children.

Forevergrace

For instance , I find Augustine's efforts at philosophy and theology to be unremarkable .
Wait, *I'm* arrogant?

Oh, and as the person who *hasn't* written a book on the One True Way to educate a child, I'm also arrogant?

ETA as the person who bothered to learn languages before "teaching" them? And.... etc etc ad infinitum.

LOL. Really. No hard feelings. Obviously I touched a nerve. :) I'm sure we'll all feel better in the morning.

Oh, and as the person who *hasn't* written a book on the One True Way to educate a child...

No one around here has claimed to have written one of those ;)

(If you had read the book of choice around here, you'd have read that the author doesn't always follow her own recommendations and doesn't follow the schedules her publisher insisted she add in.)

Rosie

P.S If dissing St Augustine makes one arrogant, count me in! His self indulgent rantings are giving me a pain in the belly, but it's probably for my own good or something, heheh.

Edited by Rosie_0801

OK, well, then let me say a couple of things that may sound arrogant and that may get me slammed. :o:

I haven't read TWTM. I've been working towards the ideal of classical self-education/homeschooling since I was a teenager in the 1980s. I prepared for my degree in classics by afterschooling myself in Latin and Greek throughout high school, using the only two books I could find - Wheelock and Hansen/Quinn. I checked out TWTM from the library a few weeks ago and it didn't grab me so I returned it. It just seemed like a bunch of lists. I've been compiling and revising my own lists for a long, long time. The minute I heard the word "homeschooling" (probably around age 20?) I knew that was what I was going to do - and (roughly) how. So I may find TWTM useful at some point, but only in the same way that is true of, say, Math Mammoth.

Frankly, on the one hand I am thrilled to find people who have a vision *somewhat* similar to my own but on the other hand some of this seems almost..... gimmicky. E.g.: I'm sure SOTW is a fine book and I bet I will even use it as some point. But to base your kids' whole history learning around it (which, again, I haven't read TWTM so I'm not sure, but by the discussions I hear around here that seems to be the primary mode of use)?????? I am being kind of elitist here because I am the kind of history nerd who can start gabbing ex tempore about almost any historical period (ask my DH lol). I know not everybody can be like that or has to be like that. But honestly, a huge part of the classical ideal is the ability to make your own judgments, and if you don't already have the knowledge base yourself, you can't make those judgments and what you are doing is ipso facto not "classical." The author is making those judgments for you. Making reading/following this one, contemporary book the sine qua non of "classical home education" is therefore totally backwards.

If you don't have the background, you can acquire it, but you kind of have to make it your life. Even with everything I already have under my belt I feel like I still have to make it my life to get to where I want to be with it by the time my DD is mature. And frankly I cringe when I see people trying to "teach" Latin by staying three pages ahead of their kids. Virgil and Cicero will make hamburger of that strategy.

But you know, "classical" isn't mandatory, it's not necessary to be "classical" to be doing a better job than the public schools, and personally one of my values as a homeschooler is that what I teach be a true reflection of myself and my values. I imagine other people feel the same way too. So it seems to me that most people who don't actually have the background, and aren't able to make a major project of acquiring it, probably are better off with something like Sonlight. Because they do have the background to make competent judgments about what they find there and I don't see how that is any worse than letting SWB or any other author lead them by the hand on the subject of the "classical."

For example I see Christians debating whether certain aspects of the pagan classics are appropriate, given the context of their religious beliefs. You know what? That is a huge, huge philosophical debate and has been for two thousand years. HUGE and it's not going to end. Don't ask a message board! Ask Tertullian. Ask Boethius. Ask Augustine. Ask Aquinas and Luther and then, if you're really brave, ask contemporary Mormon thinkers about the conflict between Hellenistic philosophical theology and literal interpretation of Biblical descriptions of G-d.

That's the "classical" approach to the problem - not pat reassurances that "without the myths they won't understand Shakespeare". Is that important to you? Well - there's another question! Oliver Cromwell would say it's very important NOT to study the theatre - and I know some of you here are Reformed, right?

What I'm saying is that the question of what to study is itself a "classical" question and the learned people of the past, whom we admire, are remembered because they used their background to help push knowledge FORWARD. I mean, there are people here who don't want their children to understand "rigorous" science, and THAT sure as heck isn't classical!

Have you taken Logic? Some of your arguments about why on earth people like/follow TWTM ideas just fall totally flat. They're actually fallacies, as you did not do your research to come up with a true picture of what TWTM is about! I mean that as nicely as possible!

Also, kids don't always follow plans laid out years before they're born. Each child is different from any other, and may not fall into the perfectly pre-conceived ideas! Really, homeschooling is different when you actually have children you're homeschooling! I had certain plans I was sure were best---but we're on a whole different path than I thought because it works best for my children! :001_smile:

Oh, and as the person who *hasn't* written a book on the One True Way to educate a child, I'm also arrogant?

My point exactly, you haven't written a book. Although, I'm unsure if you are truely arrogant, or just unread in educating children. Everyone does understand there are many ways to educate a child. However, there is one way that has worked for many, and that of course is TWTM. I'm always fearful of anyone who decides their whole life at the tender age of twenty. I believe that is when you decided to hs, or was it your whole life before that?

Forevergrace

Nobody said that you had to follow TWTM to be classical. There are many people on this board who follow different classical models. Check out some of the Latin Centered Curriculum discussions.

Chris (the OP) certainly didn't say you had to follow TWTM to be classical. She did say that she found it strange and annoying for people to ask for clarifications on a book they hadn't even read.

Not everyone on this board is even classical. Again - I don't think anyone has a problem with that. At least I don't. But - again, don't ask for clarifications on a book that you haven't read. You can, however, ask for recommendations or reviews on books you haven't read. We do that all the time.:)

I really enjoyed that! I bookmarked it so I could share it with the dc when we study him. Too funny! Thanks!

My fav. part is when he does "jazz hands" when he sings, "Survives."

I'll probably be walking around the grocery store mumbling that song and doing the jazz hands. :lol:

I came here before reading the book. :D

I started researching Classical Education. We were already doing CM and I had a friend who was debating putting her children in a charter Classical academy or homeschooling. She picked up WTM and started reading it. She then borrowed it to me.

I have only had the book in my possession for maybe a month. I am grateful for the Hive and the kindness of the people here. Honestly, had it not been for the warm reception I received, I may have never read the book. :blush: I am glad that I did! :)

Oh...I was already using SOTW long before I read WTM too.

That's a bit unfair. What about the other reason?
:iagree::iagree:

Then there's another reason. If I can teach little Jonnie to read by the time he is four, that will prove to my husband/family that I really can do this and they will have to stop criticising and support me!

And another reason- After witnessing the appalling methods of reading instruction in ps when my oldest was in K-1, I was determined to get my preschoolers reading before the ps got their destructive hands on them. (This was before we decided to hs, obviously.)

Also, my middle dd LOVED worksheets at that age, and asked for them. Especially math.

I've never read TWTM ~ and unless I come across it at our library [haven't yet, neither where we used to live nor here], then I likely won't..because it wouldn't make much sense to buy a 'guide' for a homeschooling method [classical] that we don't follow. ;)

I can, however, see that many people here enjoy ~ and their children benefit from ~ that method...so I would never think of 'trashing' it. It's just not the method for *our* family.

I quite like this forum though ~ someone mentioned that those who aren't classical might like to find a 'better' forum... well, while I do belong to a few, I can say without hesitation that this is one of the largest, most active boards out there! It doesn't surprise me at all that many non-classical homeschoolers find there way here and stick around.

~ I *do* own all the SOTW books though.. love 'em! :D

Check out the Terrible Tudors song w/ Elizabeth as well. '...but we were never duuuul". Touche.

My dd sings "Sickly little Eddie, then he got deadie" and says "I feel guilty singing that...but it's so funny".

I also laughed, when hearing it for the first time, she asked quizzically, "Was Simon Cowell a member of the court?" Then paused ... "Oh! Simon Cowell! American Idol Simon Cowell".

My little dd. She can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan. Currently, she is listening to the Beatles. She's so well-rounded. Bwahahahahaha.

My fav. part is when he does "jazz hands" when he sings, "Survives."

I'll probably be walking around the grocery store mumbling that song and doing the jazz hands. :lol:

Edited by LibraryLover

That's a bit unfair. What about the other reason? That they are petrified that they will fall short and won't educate their children well enough. My, my. Is that an unfamiliar thought to anyone? Is anyone going to mandate when one has the right to feel that way? Not acceptable before grade 2, grade 8, or when? Of course not. We all know motherhood guilt can attack at any time and put us into a whirlwind of panic.

Then there's another reason. If I can teach little Jonnie to read by the time he is four, that will prove to my husband/family that I really can do this and they will have to stop criticising and support me!

But you are probably right that some people are in it for bragging rights. Seems a funny thing to brag about to me, but we can't all be professional scrapbookers and able to whip up historical costumes just by looking at a painting. To be honest, I'm more impressed by women who can do school, keep their houses reasonably tidy, their families fed with reasonably healthy meals (thou shalt not feed everyone peanut butter on toast for more than two meals per day) AND shower at some point during the day. I'm impressed with me if I can do two of the above, and I never get all four going on the same day.

Rosie

Amen :)

And also rude!

Seems like there is one in every thread. :lol:

As to TWTM, I read the book (and own two copies), implemented it as directed and then found the boards. I enjoy hearing about things that did not make it into the book. Not every recommendation in TWTM will fit every child/family. So, when I need to find something that is different than the lists in the book, I'll ask and know someone will have an answer for me.

Have you considered writing all your posts ENTIRELY in Latin, instead of just sprinkling liberally? Do. It will impress me SO much. :001_rolleyes:
Or perhaps Latin sprinkled liberally with Greek? :tongue_smilie:

I have to wonder why she's here since she sees so little value in the experience of flesh and blood homeschoolers. Surely it is "truer" or "purer" to her ideal to simply evaluate all available programs herself through the discerning lens of her intellectual and ideological superiority? Who knows, maybe Luther can inform on the value of Cuisenaire rods in K-3 maths education? I hear tell he was big on post-its *and* copywork... a bit of the old, a bit of the new. My kinda guy.

I never recommend people with tots to read TWTM. It's too much all at once. Plus, imo, it's nearly impossible for one person to do all that.

Good point.

I first read [some of] it when my oldest was about 3 or 4 and I was started to research the idea of homeschooling. I thought, "These people are so NOT like me!" For years I had a mindset of TWTM people as being sort of the "anti" me and my style.

A conversation made me pull it out again recently (which was about 4-5 years later), and I was surprised how much of it resonated with me.

" Why reject the advances in educational psychology on which the better ones are based, other than to make yourself feel old-fashioned and rarified?) IMO it's a heck of a lot MORE unclassical to do homeschooling from a list of books set before you by a contemporary author you treat as an authority/celebrity. "

You are arrogant . I would respond line by line but have not the time or interest in so doing. I am pleased that you consider yourself above utilizing a resource that collects and organizes resources for those who wish to provide a well rounded, classical education for their children. Bully for you. With my degrees in philosophy, biology , theology and a law degree for good measure, I still desperately grapple with culling the best of what has been thought and recorded in human history and when to share that knowledge and how best to do so. Fortunately the Jesuit colleges I attended taught me some humility and self discipline as well . Best wishes on homeschooling your child and it might be worthwhile to consider reading a book before dismissing it as gimmicky or in some way simply dross . In my point of view iron sharpens iron. I absolutely enjoy the whole process of reading what others put forth as canonical and many times I will absolutely disagree and use what I believe to be superior or simply more appropriate work. For instance , I find Augustine's efforts at philosophy and theology to be unremarkable . A classic misogynist with sexual issues but nothing more and would not waste time on him. Hildegard of Bingen , interesting. Maimonides , definitely worth our time. Does my preference for one theologian over one suggested by another make the suggestion a waste? Certainly not . In my experience there is nothing better than confronting one's own predilections against those of another equally able to make a judgment. Jacques Barzun's book, Begin Here , is certainly another strong influence on choices made in our home and what I consider a must read for those interested in solid pedagogy.

I never indicated one was not classical enough by not using this book I said it was self defeating not to . That is very different . In fact you misunderstand the use of SOTW as a source for history and further there are many suggestions and reviews of various resources for science, math , geography and the like. It all depends as well on what you are using the word classical to mean is it subject matter, methodology , both or are you limiting the use of the word as it is used as a subject for a major in classics?? Certainly one can go round and round with those questions as well. Call me dim but I prefer to criticize a book after I have actually read it.

Where are those rep thingies??

I only read it once and it was better than any other book I have read. I made so clear to me the things that I truly believed as a teacher. Oh how I wish that they would dump do much history and science and JUST TEACH the 3 Rs!! If only my kids really knew how to write!!

I am afraid of asking questions unless I search heavily for the answers first but will need to reread TWTM at least 2 more times to get it down.

I love this board and feel like Goldilocks who finally sat in baby bear's chair!!!

I've read some posts where the writer seems completely unfamiliar with TWTM.

However I think for many it's the practical application that they are asking about. I've read the book several times, but as a new homeschooler, I find it a challenge seeing what that translates to practically at times.

:iagree:I read the book befor I found the forum. Information Overload!! I love the book, but it is not a one time read. Sometimes people on here can be very intimidating. It is hard enough to get the courage up to post for the first time. I was lucky. Everyone seemed nice. I have gotten tons of great advice. I appreciate the fact that I have a place to go to have my questions answered. Aren't we suppose to be here for each other? I would stop posting if someone had made me feel like I had asked a "stupid" question.:001_huh:

I hope this made sense. It is almost 2:30 in the morning. Please forgive any mistakes.:D

I'm deeply amused that one who feels that a non-Latin speaker should not teach their child Latin is planning to teach her child Mandarin, Confucious will make "hamburger of that strategy."

Or perhaps, both people will hand that area of education over to those more experienced if needed. Gasp, what a thought!