Menu

Who is/are your favorite author(s)?

I would have to say right now my favorite author is Horatio Alger, Jr. I really am enjoying reading his books. I am currently reading Andy Gordon and this is my seventh Alger book so far.

My favorite author used to be Eloise Jarvis McGraw. I really enjoyed The Golden Goblet and several of her other books.

What about you? Who is your favorite author ... at least presently?

Well, there's the real list and the list for when I want to impress someone... lol... I'll just give you the real list.

The permanent authors on the list would be Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey, Patricia C. Wrede, Jane Austen, and Ursula K. Le Guin.

Right now, I'm also liking Anne Ursu.

My list is fairly long and I often forget a few when asked this question, however the authors who come immediately to mind are:

HG Wells

Robert Louis Stevenson

Markus Zusak

Val McDermid

Kazuo Ishiguro

Thomas Hardy

Oscar Wilde

Roald Dahl

William Horwood

Sarah Waters

Diana Gabaldon (Outlander series, haven't enjoyed her Lord Grey books at all)

Wow, Orhan Pamuk, I am impressed! I tried reading 'The New Life' about years ago when it was first translated to English and it's one of the few books I've not been able to finish. Cleverly, I then forgot both the title and the author's name and spent years trying to remember which book it was that drove me insane. Especially as my only words to describe the story itself were "Guy, bus, book, nothing else happened." :lol:

I mean to give the book another try in the future... maybe... perhaps... if I'm brave enough. :tongue_smilie:

Ray Bradbury - I started reading his books last year. I'm not that much into sci-fi but his book really resonate with me.

Katherine Paterson - a favorite from childhood, still a favorite today

Richard Lattimore - Love his translations of Homer

Shakespeare - I read and listened to a lot as a kid. Now I"m going back to study with some years behind me, it's a whole new perspective.

The only fiction authors that I make time for is Stephen King and J.K. Rowling although I am seriously thinking about giving Joe King a spin. For humor, I like George Carlin and Dave Barry. In the non-fiction department, I like Bill Bryson, Alison Weir, Kenneth Davis and a wide variety of others due to my many different intrests). I also have a few fringe or controversial writters that I like but we won't bring up there names here and that never goes well.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Picking favorites is hard but here is what I thought of immediately because I have had mini collections of their books or have spent time reading through their repertoire (sp?):

Mark Twain

C.S. Lewis

G.K. Chesterton

Agatha Christie

Daphne DuMaurier

Margery Allingham

Leonard Wibberly

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Beverly Cleary

James Herriot

E.B White

Robert McCloskey

Alexander Dumas

and, most recently, Connie Willis

C.S. Lewis (and not just for the Chronicles of Narnia, but for his other works mostly), George MacDonald, G.K. Chesterton, Alexander Dumas (The Count of Monte Cristo is my favorite fictional book). I have other authors I really like but I won't list those because I've only read one of their works so really don't know how they would compare over a broad range of writing.

Oh, and add P.G. Wodehouse to the list - he's a hoot!

Edited by CynthiaOK

Dante Alighieri, my all-time favorite. :) (I'm serious, and I'm referring to the entire opus, not just Commedia.) It "clicked" in kindergarten, developed into a love when I was at school, and culminated at the university. Commedia is one of my expertise areas.

Other than that, I generally love the Italian literature - Verga, Carducci, Pirandello, Svevo, Canetti and so on - and Ovid. I guess I always somehow come back to the things I grew up with.

I also love Thomas Mann's opus, and Victor Hugo.

Wow, Orhan Pamuk, I am impressed! I tried reading 'The New Life' about years ago when it was first translated to English and it's one of the few books I've not been able to finish. Cleverly, I then forgot both the title and the author's name and spent years trying to remember which book it was that drove me insane. Especially as my only words to describe the story itself were "Guy, bus, book, nothing else happened." :lol:

I mean to give the book another try in the future... maybe... perhaps... if I'm brave enough. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: He can be dense. I started with My Name is Red and it was so...original, innovative, interesting. Just to give you a taste - each chapter is written from the perspective of something/someone in the story. So there is a Chapter written from the perspective of the color red (hence the name of the book!) There is a chapter by a horse, by characters in the book, etc.

Right now I am reading The Black Book. It is a mystery. Much easier to read. He has such a flair for details and stories within stories. I just love his stuff - but it is not something I can breeze through!

JK Rowling. It's grievous that she's almost as rich as The Queen. I'm starved for more of her writing.

Jane Austen

CS Lewis

EB White Although I was so irked by the end of Stuart Little. That open ending was like making tea but not getting to drink it. :tongue_smilie:

Ray Bradbury - I started reading his books last year. I'm not that much into sci-fi but his book really resonate with me.

Ditto to Ray Bradbury! His short stories are often thought provoking. I read these loooonnng ago but I still remember one of the stories about sending missionaries to Mars to minister to the native sphere-like beings. The beings maintained that because they didn't have bodies, sin wasn't a problem and they sent the missionaries on to minister to the human settlers on Mars who were getting drunk, fighting, etc.

Another author I like is Steinbeck - East of Eden and Grapes of Wrath are two of my favorites.

George Eliot - wow.

Jane Austen - wowee.

Laura Ingalls Wilder - like comfort food.

Georgette Heyer - lots of fun to read.

Roald Dahl - he's amazingly creative.

Beverly Cleary - I really love her teenage books, they ring so true for me.

Kevin Henkes - his picture books are so pleasing to read out loud.

Hmmm, it feels as though I am forgetting someone.

Ursula LeGuin

Italo Calvino

Jane Austen

James Herriot

Tolkein

CS Lewis (except That Hideous Strength was a slog)

Laura Ingalls Wilder (just listened to those with kids - had forgotten how wonderful)

Willa Cather

at least those are authors I've liked well enough to try to read through most of their opus.

My IRL, not-trying-to-impress anyone favorites. All are detective / mystery / thriller genre and not for the easily offended ;):

Chelsea Cain

Laurie R. King

Elizabeth George (Inspector Lynley series, not the Christian author)

Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

Greg Iles

Mo Hayder

:lurk5:

Love all of these and must add that Mo Hayder's book The Devil of Nanking is perhaps one of the creepiest novels I have read in a long time. I also enjoy

Lisa See

Dr Steven Pinker

Bernd Heinrich

Dr Cornel West

Dr Carl Sagan

Sherrilyn Kenyon for absolute mind candy.

I have been reading all of the mysteries set in Russia that I can find. I love Russian history, have a special connection to it. Recently I discovered that

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I could read Wind, Sand and Stars everyday :001_smile:

The only book that ever brought tears to my eyes (the rescue in the desert: I did not feel I was being rescued but forgiven....and...you did not know me, but you recognized me without fail....and....although I cannot remember your face, I see it everywhere, for it is the face of all mankind--all paraphrased).

My favorites are pretty diverse - I'm more likely to buy books by them than anyone else:

Nora Roberts Aka J.D. Robb

Ted Dekker

Robyn Carr

Karen Rose

Bodie Thoene

Mercedes Lackey

Elizabeth Lowell

Linda Howard

Charles De Lint

Stuart Woods

Suzanne Brockmann

A bit of romance, mystery, sci fi, christian

This is a very difficult question. A good one, but difficult for me to narrow down.

Fiction:

Alexander Dumas, Jane Austen, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Ray Bradbury, J.R.R. Tolkien, L.M. Montgomery

Non-Fiction:

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Edited by elw_miller
Forgot to add one.

At this very moment, J.A. Jance. I am reading through all of her books right now. I'm about halfway through the Beaumont series, and several books into the Brady series.

Other favorite authors, off the top of my head:

Diana Gabaldon

Maeve Binchy

Rosamunde Pilcher

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Noel Streatfeild

Beverly Cleary