Menu

Do you teach the metric system?

Do you teach the metric system before High School?  

1. 1. Do you teach the metric system before High School?

• Yes, it is important.
    • No, we don't use it.
    • Yes, but I am not in the USA.
    • other

A K-8 private school director told me she does not teach the kids the metric system because it is too easily forgotten and the time is better spent teaching other things. The kids will learn it in High School if needed and it won't take an older student long to figure out the conversions.

I'm just wondering if this is common.

:)

I answered "other." I teach both standard and metric, but don't require mastery the first time I teach it. Measurements are used throughout math and science and of course, in real life.

Today, when I'm cooking or sewing, I will often look at a chart. I don't rely on my memory. My dh does carpentry and mechanics as a hobby. He'll often look at a chart too.

In my humble opinion, measurements do not have to be memorized.

Ok.... ducking for cover... I'll proabably be blasted!:D

Yes, we do, but I voted "other" because the real reason we do is because we use Singapore math and Horizons and both of them teach it. I think it Is important, but in all honesty, if my math program didn't include it I wouldn't get around to adding it. (And I know that isn't a good thing, but at least I know myself well enough to know that I need to buy good programs to teach with!)

Edited by Melora in NC

We do all of the Math/Sciences with metric system being the default one. Also, we're Europeans by origin, so it naturally comes as the default one in our minds - I actually had to learn myself first and then to teach my daughters to think in the standard system too. My husband, being a scientist, was also adamant on that matter, that the girls have to receive their Science education in the metric system. :)

I do think it's important b/c, as most others have said, it is *the* measurement in maths, sciences, and many domestic arts (sewing, knitting, et c).

I'm glad Singapore teaches both and if I were teaching (my girl has math online now), I'd probably even skip standard. Standard is enough in our everyday life that what we need to know will come up often enough and a fully, indepth understanding is probably important but not the most important thing. Metric, on the other hand, is more important and needs a greater, more indepth understanding. Good thing it's so easy!

well, easy for my girl. I struggle a bit.

:001_huh: Teaching metric is easy compared to inches, feet and yards.

My husband, being a scientist, was also adamant on that matter, that the girls have to receive their Science education in the metric system. :)
Me, too! Most people only consider how stupid the *basic* English units are. That's NOTHING compared to the daunting task of trying to do engineering with English units in which units are combined in complex ways. For instance, try to design a magnetic structure like a transformer using the English system. What happens is a very difficult problem becomes nearly impossible! You will quickly run as fast as you can toward using Metric units!

Okay, I just asked my husband for his opinion on the matter and his response is that Metric will never work in America b/c it would make the football fields too long and 100 meter fields won't fit in the current stadiums AND the record books would become obsolete.

there: the definitive answer on the subject.

He's joking, of course. He actually feels that both need to be understood fully and kids need to be able to figure using both b/c both are used in various settings in the U.S. He wants our daughter to know both well.

A K-8 private school director told me she does not teach the kids the metric system because it is too easily forgotten and the time is better spent teaching other things. The kids will learn it in High School if needed and it won't take an older student long to figure out the conversions.

I'm just wondering if this is common.

It is very important to know metric AND how to convert between metric and imperial if your children ever intend to go into anything scientific, including engineering, architecture. Also, anything related to manufacturing will require metric, as well as almost any trade (plumbing, electrical, mechanic, etc.)

The kids will learn it in High School if needed and it won't take an older student long to figure out the conversions.

I was taught both in grade school, and I never "convert." If I'm working in metric, I think in metric. If I'm working in the English units, then I think in that system.

So easily forgotten? It's all based on base-10 - so much easier! All the prefixes mean the same thing even among different kinds of measurements! What an utterly ridiculous argument! What she really means is, "I can't remember the metric system, so I'm not going to bother with teaching it."

I actually teach mostly the metric system, even though I'm in the US. Honestly, the only thing you need the "traditional" system for is for everyday stuff - a gallon of milk or gas, a recipe, I guess if you're building something and need to buy a 2x4 or a pipe fitting. I guess if I had a kid who was most likely going into construction or plumbing I'd spend more time on it. It's good for learning fractions, that's for sure. :)

Many careers where measurements are really important, like scientific fields, use metric even in the US. If you want to send a rocket to the moon or have a breakthrough in chemistry, you're going to be using metric. So I feel even here it's very important.

And for either system, I think what's most important is that you have a good sense of what a number means in the real world. About how big a gallon or liter is, is 30 F hot or cold? How about 30 C? This kind of "sense" is actually better taught young.

One rarely needs to convert between the systems unless you're travelling, and even then it's better to have a "sense". If you really need to convert with precision, you can just look up the formula.

I teach it and use it just as often as American measurements. Metric is used all day in my work, so I think of it and use it verbally with my kids. They know both.

It is so much easier than American measurements, I don't understand why they wouldn't teach it. It is a simple few lessons of concepts and conversions. A few practice problems on homework assignments. It isn't like teaching a different language..:lol:

A K-8 private school director told me she does not teach the kids the metric system because it is too easily forgotten and the time is better spent teaching other things.

Bwwahahaaa.....

My dh's lab uses nothing but metric. Every formula he writes is in metric. She needs to get out and mingle out in the real world more.

I teach the metric system but I unschool standard measurements. :D

I approach it similarly. I teach the metric system first because it makes it so much easier to learn about weights and measures, conversions, and all sorts of things. I use Singapore Math, and they teach metric first. English measurements are thrown in as an afterthought (in the US Edition), and I like it that way.

I teach English measurements as they come up, but only in the context of what they know about the metric system. They hate the English system because it doesn't make any sense.

Oh, and the "it's easy to learn the conversions" argument doesn't hold water at all. You hardly ever need to convert anything from one system to the other. Science, engineering, and upper level mathematics are all metric. In engineering school, the only time we switched between systems was in work/energy measurements.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

Being in Australia, obviously we teach metric. But we are planning to teach imperial as well. I'm OK with units of distance, weight and temperature, but I must admit that pints and gallons etc have me a bit confused, so I guess I'll learn those when the kids do :lol:

I'll be brave and say it: :iagree:with the private school director.

If something comes up that is measure in metric, then I'll explain it and let it go. There's no point in spending much brain time to learn something we mostly never use in this country except in specific circumstances. And if we're *in* that specific circumstance, we can learn it just for that--no biggie.

Absolutely yes!

Another side-benefit of early Cuisenaire Rods use, is that estimating length in centimeters is something natural for my son (and me) and we've included measuring with the metric system our primary system of measurement.

Bill

Yes, my 12yods estimates in centimeters all the time. My mom looks at him funny because she has no idea what a centimeter is. :)