Menu

I am reading Pride & Prejudice. And...

I don't like it.

Am I the only female on the planet who isn't drawn in by this story?

According to my Kindle, I am 19% through the book. I've enjoyed Mr. Darcy a bit, but the rest....um, not so much.

Does it get better? What am I missing?

I feel like the only girl on the planet (or at least in my circle of friends) who hasn't read the book or seen the movie.

I haven't read it or seen it either. I started listening to it on LibriVox a few months ago but was never that interested in the story and simply switched to something else. It made me want to do the dishes even less! :lol:

That said, it's on my WEM reading list and I plan to plow through it when the time comes. If I can get through Don Quixote in its entirety I figure surely I can get through a much shorter Austen novel. :tongue_smilie:

FWIW, I still don't think I'm missing much for not having read it. ;)

I don't like it.

According to my Kindle, I am 19% through the book. I've enjoyed Mr. Darcy a bit, but the rest....um, not so much.

I feel like the only girl on the planet (or at least in my circle of friends) who hasn't read the book or seen the movie.

Yes. Since you're admitting it, so will I. I have tried numerous attempts to get past the first 20 or so pages. Just last year I managed to get through half. And this may be a stupid question, but there was a scene from the book, where the women (or it might have just been one character, don't remember) basically get up and walk to attract the men. I may have been skimming at this point, but was that an attempt at humor? If it was an attempt at humor, I may pick the book up and read it through the lens of a comedy (because I thought it was pretty funny).

The problem with Pride and Prejudice (IMO) is that it's a young woman's book. The heroine (at least in the beginning of the story) is young, brash, naive and judgmental. If you fall in love with it when you are young, you will always love it. If you don't fall in love with it when you are young, it is full of young, silly characters.

Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility are better for slightly older women.

The heroine in Persuasion is older, she's been hurt and she has hurt others, she is the sole deep-thinker in a very silly family, she has been deeply affected by the judgments of others. It is a deeper and more romantic book.

Sense and Sensibility is sort of the in-between of these two books, containing a young, silly heroine and and older, more wise heroine.

Yes. Since you're admitting it, so will I. I have tried numerous attempts to get past the first 20 or so pages. Just last year I managed to get through half. And this may be a stupid question, but there was a scene from the book, where the women (or it might have just been one character, don't remember) basically get up and walk to attract the men. I may have been skimming at this point, but was that an attempt at humor? If it was an attempt at humor, I may pick the book up and read it through the lens of a comedy (because I thought it was pretty funny).

Much of it is humorous. Read the book as sarcastic, you will "get it" better.

Austen is one of the greatest character writers.

Edited by Sis

Yes. I consider P & P hysterical!

We had to read it in high school. I started out hating it, but by the end I couldn't put it down. I hate stories where folks act like idiots, but at least Ms. Austen made them all put things right in the end ... so it was good.

I haven't really gotten into her other books though. But I would say, give the rest of it a chance ... it really drew me in, and it's not my cup of tea at all.

We had to read it in high school. I started out hating it, but by the end I couldn't put it down. I hate stories where folks act like idiots, but at least Ms. Austen made them all put things right in the end ... so it was good.

This is what I like about them. People *DO* act like idiots but at least Austen's characters usually learn something and change their behavior.

I will say, while I love P&P (the book and all movie versions) I barely made it through Sense and Sensibility (the book). I was like, hey, it's page 170 and something finally happened! And I never made it through Persuasion.

I really love Persuasion, I guess I prefer men in uniform. ;)

I loved it as a teenager...supporting the theory that it is a young woman's book.

I reread it a couple of years ago and found the first third s l o w, however, after that it picked up considerably. I couldn't put it down once I was halfway through.

The problem with Pride and Prejudice (IMO) is that it's a young woman's book. The heroine (at least in the beginning of the story) is young, brash, naive and judgmental. If you fall in love with it when you are young, you will always love it. If you don't fall in love with it when you are young, it is full of young, silly characters.

I completely agree with you. I read Pride and Prejudice when I was 14, I loved it so much I asked my mother to go out and find the rest for me. That book propelled me into reading and loving classics.

I also think the idea of watching the mini series is great. It might get you enough into the story line that you have a desire to finish the book. I recently watched a British mini series called Lost in Austen. It was about a woman who was obsessed with Pride and Prejudice and Mr. Darcy. She was somehow transported into the novel while Elizabeth was transported out. It was a funny twist to the Pride and Prejudice story.:001_smile:

I'm one of the only people I know who hates Jane Austin. Too much dialogue. I like a good plot in a story and very little dialogue. I enjoyed the movies "Sense and Sensibility" and "Emma", and I even tried to read "Emma" but I ended up skipping huge portions of the text because I just couldn't muddle through the dialogue.

My, what a timely thread! I just started it for the 3rd time, and, darn it, I intend to finish it this time. The first 2 times I tried to read it, I fell asleep every single time I opened it! Yawn! This time, however, I've been listening to it on audio. I like the accent and tone of the reader and I'm enjoying the humor and getting to like the quirky characters. But I don't love it yet like so many people do.

I reread it a couple of years ago and found the first third s l o w, however, after that it picked up considerably. I couldn't put it down once I was halfway through.

This is very good to know, considering I have never gotten past the first 3rd.

Hmmm, I wrote a reply and it seems to have gotten lost... my confession? I HATE Jane Austen's stories. I find them mind-numbingly boring. I tried the mini series, too, yet felt the same way. I don't even think Darcy was good looking, either.

:iagree: I've tried repeatedly to read them and watch the movies and always feel like I'm going to fall asleep at any minute.

I did like the movie "Becoming Jane" though :confused:

I don't like it.

Am I the only female on the planet who isn't drawn in by this story

Heresy!:eek: Jane Austen is neck-and-neck with JK Rowling as my favorite author of all time and Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book. I never tire of it. I love the speech patterns, love the characters and by the end, was so in love with Mr. Darcy, I'm about to name a cat after him! :D

I have some trouble understanding Austen (and Shakespeare, too) until I see a movie version. If I see the movie first, I can go back and read the book with better understanding and enjoy it. Elizabeth is very impertinent and I think it comes across better on screen. I have seen several different versions of P & P, and loved them all. You could also try first reading one of the Darcy versions (P & P as told from Darcy's p.o.v.) and then tackle Austen's again. There are several out there and the language is usually a bit simpler.

I love P & P, S & S, Emma, and Persuasion - but I didn't like Mansfield Park or Northanger Abbey at all.

Heresy!:eek: Jane Austen is neck-and-neck with JK Rowling as my favorite author of all time and Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book. I never tire of it. I love the speech patterns, love the characters and by the end, was so in love with Mr. Darcy, I'm about to name a cat after him! :D

:lol::lol::lol:

You could also try first reading one of the Darcy versions (P & P as told from Darcy's p.o.v.) and then tackle Austen's again. There are several out there and the language is usually a bit simpler.

This is interesting (I love reading stories from other character's POVs). Is there a title (if they are different) you would suggest? Are they written by Austen?

I love all her books. They are light and easy to read, funny to the point of being ridiculous, but still highlighting serious issues, such as the plight of women who 'fail' to attract a suitable husband. If the humor in P&P isn't very funny to your taste, you might like Northanger Abbey more, as it's more ott (think Cold Comfort Farm).

This is interesting (I love reading stories from other character's POVs). Is there a title (if they are different) you would suggest? Are they written by Austen?

There are a lot of books out there that offer alternate views of P&P or continue the story. None are written by Austen, they are modern takes on the novel. Some of them are romance-novely.

:lol::lol::lol:

:tongue_smilie:

I read P & P when I was 17 and, yes, the first quarter of the book is a little slow-moving, but I couldn't put it down after that. It's my absolute favorite book of all time. But then, I was 17 -- it's definitely a book for the hopeless romantic. I've seen the miniseries and the movie and still love the story (preferred the miniseries).

I also loved Emma and Sense and Sensibility. I need to read Persuasion.:)

So, my advice would be to stick with it ... you may find yourself hooked!

Edited by amsunshine
added a quote I forgot

If the humor in P&P isn't very funny to your taste, you might like Northanger Abbey more, as it's more ott
Parts of Northanger Abby CRACKED me up! I love it when the heroine is so tired of...I can't think of the guy's name, but the arrogant bloke who thinks he's her boyfriend. :lol: I loved that!

And in P&P, I love how Mr. Collins is trying to explain how he "fashions little clever conversations" ahead of time or some such thing! :lol: This really comes out in the movie, but even in the book, I was LOL.

I don't like it.

Nope, not a fan of Austen either. I did finish the book, after about 6 months, the last third gets better. I did read Sense & Sensibility and liked it better but I can't bring myself to read more Austen.

For those who like the book, and movie versions thereof, I recommend Bride and Prejudice--a modern take on the story which is set in India. The Mr Collins character is absolutely the best I have seen on screen. :lol::lol:

I did enjoy this movie and I'm going to take a chance of Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. :lol:

I have read these:

9780061148705.jpg

Darcy's Story, by Janet Aylmer

9781402208768.jpg

Mr. Darcy's Diary, by Amanda Grange

I enjoyed them because I didn't go into them expecting them to be as good as if Austen had written them herself. I just loved the idea of getting into Darcy's head and felt like I could understand him better. Some people don't like them because the writing and language aren't the same, even though it's obvious that the author is trying hard to emulate Austen.

Darcy's Diary is actually written in diary entries (IIRC); so if that's something you wouldn't like, try the other one. :001_smile:

I'm farther in it than ever before, and determined to get to the end. I must say, though, that I am finding myself laughing at times. The language is easy for me, but I think much of the humor is very time-specific. The more effort I put into getting into the story, the more I am getting out of it. Then again, maybe it's because of where I am in the book.

I have a sequel to P&P entitled Perfect Happiness, and it's OK, but not brilliant. Most sequels are dodgy, even when written by the original author (anybody read the sequel to Richardson's Pamela? It's woeful!), so I suspect it would be very challenging for another author to write one to such a well known work.

I read P&P a few months ago for the first time and only because it was free for kindle. It was only OK. I thought the "mother" character was hilarious though.

Honestly, the romance aspect of it seemed very flat, boring, without passion. I really could not believe the idea that they were that attracted to each other. It all seemed so sedate and sterile. zzzzz......

And the "sister" character? Are you kidding me? She was pathetic and boring and gives women everywhere a bad name. The way she was so mistreated by the next door neighbor guy (see the book was so boring I don't even remember the names) and she just accepted it all like a total doormat and then goes back to him??? IF I had a daughter, I would use that character as an example of how NOT to act.

I finished it. And they all lived boringly ever after...yada, yada, yada... I only stuck it out because Austen does have a way with words, just not a way with writing an interesting book. YMMV

I don't like it.

I *love* the movie (BBC version w/Colin Firth. None other will do), but I can't read the book.

Believe it or not, dh actually read it (and Sense & Sensibility. But I can't slog through that one either). I just get bored. There. I said it.

The movie, on the other hand, is one of my all-time favorites. The actors do an AMAZING job -- all of them. Mrs. Bennett & Mr. Collins are absolute scene stealers (as is Lady Catherine). Love it, love it, love it!

I read P&P a few months ago for the first time and only because it was free for kindle. It was only OK. I thought the "mother" character was hilarious though.

Honestly, the romance aspect of it seemed very flat, boring, without passion. I really could not believe the idea that they were that attracted to each other. It all seemed so sedate and sterile. zzzzz......

And the "sister" character? Are you kidding me? She was pathetic and boring and gives women everywhere a bad name. The way she was so mistreated by the next door neighbor guy (see the book was so boring I don't even remember the names) and she just accepted it all like a total doormat and then goes back to him??? IF I had a daughter, I would use that character as an example of how NOT to act.

I finished it. And they all lived boringly ever after...yada, yada, yada... I only stuck it out because Austen does have a way with words, just not a way with writing an interesting book. YMMV

I think reading more classical literature from the time and knowing more about the culture helps a lot with this.

The mother is made out to be a comic character, because Elizabeth (our heroine) connects more with her father. However, the mother is absolutely correct to be distressed that the father has allowed their money to be frittered away so that they have *no way* to provide for their daughters. She must marry them off or they *could* end up on the streets. She's abrasive and a bit crazy but she has their best interests at heart.

Meanwhile, the father is made out to be loving and wise but he's not. Again, he's made no allowances for the futures of his daughters. He isn't prudent when it comes to the family's behavior and it almost costs 2 of his daughters the chance at marriage.

Darcy is a snob at first but after the *amazing* put down he receives after his proposal (which shocks me every time I read the book), he realizes his discerning character is shutting out his chance at happiness. He adjusts. He's nice to Elizabeth's family after that. He takes the aunt and uncle on a tour, invites the uncle fishing and later saves the reputation of the entire family. You don't think that reflects a certain amount of love, care and passion?

Almost everything is sarcastic. Nothing is as it seems on the surface. You have to look deeper.

I also think the idea of watching the mini series is great. It might get you enough into the story line that you have a desire to finish the book. I recently watched a British mini series called Lost in Austen. It was about a woman who was obsessed with Pride and Prejudice and Mr. Darcy. She was somehow transported into the novel while Elizabeth was transported out. It was a funny twist to the Pride and Prejudice story.:001_smile:

I just discovered Lost in Austen over the holidays and watched it 3 times! I completely loved it... and it's available as a watch instantly from Netflix. :D

I think reading more classical literature from the time and knowing more about the culture helps a lot with this.

The mother is made out to be a comic character, because Elizabeth (our heroine) connects more with her father. However, the mother is absolutely correct to be distressed that the father has allowed their money to be frittered away so that they have *no way* to provide for their daughters. She must marry them off or they *could* end up on the streets. She's abrasive and a bit crazy but she has their best interests at heart.

Meanwhile, the father is made out to be loving and wise but he's not. Again, he's made no allowances for the futures of his daughters. He isn't prudent when it comes to the family's behavior and it almost costs 2 of his daughters the chance at marriage.

Darcy is a snob at first but after the *amazing* put down he receives after his proposal (which shocks me every time I read the book), he realizes his discerning character is shutting out his chance at happiness. He adjusts. He's nice to Elizabeth's family after that. He takes the aunt and uncle on a tour, invites the uncle fishing and later saves the reputation of the entire family. You don't think that reflects a certain amount of love, care and passion?

Almost everything is sarcastic. Nothing is as it seems on the surface. You have to look deeper.

Oh I get all that. I just can't stomach it. It isn't my style. I like books with strong female characters that don't let themselves get pushed around by men. I think the proposal put-down was great (probably my favorite part of the book)...Darcy was a pompus ass...so full of himself, his reputation, he couldn't possibly "lower" himself to court someone like Elizabeth because she didn't have enough money? Come from the right family? Her mother was too embarrassing? I would have told him to get stuffed too.

Then he condescends to think that it might be ok to love a woman who isn't "of means" and decides to give her another chance? Is 'nice" enough to take her father fishing? Blech.

Nope, not a fan of Austen either. I did finish the book, after about 6 months, the last third gets better. I did read Sense & Sensibility and liked it better but I can't bring myself to read more Austen.

I did enjoy this movie and I'm going to take a chance of Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. :lol:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot- I want to get through P&P not just for the WEM list, but so I can go on and read P&P&Zombies. :001_huh::lol:

I don't like it.

I have not read the book but love the movie!