Menu

Help name my baby

I want a Biblical name that is very uncommon, yet not something that is so strange that no one will be able to remember, pronounce, or spell it.

I like Levi, but don't want people to think I named my baby after pants.

I have a friend whose son is named Levi. I don't think he's ever had a problem with that.

If you want uncommon and Biblical, read the genealogies in Genesis. LOTS of names in there!

I want a Biblical name that is very uncommon, yet not something that is so strange that no one will be able to remember, pronounce, or spell it.

I like Levi, but don't want people to think I named my baby after pants.

We have a Levi and love his name -- I don't think of jeans everytime I say his name. ;)

BOYS: Levi, Ike (fr. Isaac), Mathias ...

GIRLS: Tirzah, Jemima, Eve, Keilah ...

Eli has a similar feel as Levi. I second Isaac nicknamed Ike. Another name I saw someone mention was Mathias. I like that one a lot. I read a book once whose character was named Mathias, but called Tice. I think that sounds very nice. (I want a better adjective there, but I can't come up with one - only cool, and I'd like to appear smarter than that:lol:(however, it does sound cool)).

I love the baby name threads.

HTH,

Melissa

My ds 7 wks is Ethan Levi, and the first thing my father in law said was "I didn't know you liked dungarees that much!" But, I love it and would have put it first if dh let me.

One word of caution on Gabriel, which is the name of my ds5 - people, in general, are stupid and think it is a girl's name. Whenever anyone reads his name (like at a doctor's office) they call him Gabrielle. I had no idea that Gabriel was such a confusing name. The situation can be rectified by always writing Gabe, but I prefer to call him Gabriel.

I love Asher for a boy. Jude, Judah and Elijah were all on our short list for this baby and I think they all meet your requirements.

I love Zipporah for a girl. I named my first ds Isaac, but I hear it way too often anymore. It is becoming--gasp--popularish.:glare: When I was pregnant and everybody was asking what we were going to name him, I would tell them we liked Melchezedek. They stopped asking.

I have a cousin named Jedidiah Levi. He was teased alot. Just sayin.

Edited by urpedonmommy

Also love Levi and don't think of the jeans. I guess because to me they're Levi's and not Levi Jeans. For us the problem name was Luke. Love the name but I'd always hear a voice in my head saying, "Use the Force, Luke," or "Run, Luke, run!" :tongue_smilie:

Cinder

I love the name Asher (one of the 12 tribes, I believe) for a boy, and we are expecting (should find out tomorrow the gender!), but I'm not sure dh would go for it. Both our girls have Biblical first and middle names, so we've set ourselves quite a high bar, especially if we have another girl.

Here are some more rather uncommon names I love for a boy:

Jude

Ezra

Obadiah

Nathaniel

Isaiah

Also love Levi and don't think of the jeans. I guess because to me they're Levi's and not Levi Jeans. For us the problem name was Luke. Love the name but I'd always hear a voice in my head saying, "Use the Force, Luke," or "Run, Luke, run!" :tongue_smilie:

Cinder

:lol: I have a Levi and a Luke.

I adore the names Jude, Asher, and Simeon. Eli would be a good choice, too.

Great suggestions!

When I post on name threads I always wonder what the person thought of the name I suggested. I am going to tell you.

Some are common for older people, like myself. Benjamin, Daniel, Mark, and Nathaniel are too common. Ethan is common for little ones, I think. Is Asher getting trendy? I predict it will be.

Donavans4 suggested Abram which is my sons name! It is too weird. People can't remember it. Everyone calls him Abraham. People where I live do not make the H sound, so that complicates things. His own gfather doesn't say his name right. I want to avoid a name that is too strange for this reason.

Titus, Jude, Justis, Gideon, Ephraim, Micaih Jubal, and Mathias are too weird, I am afraid.

Gabriel, Ezra, Michah, Adriel, Tobias and Jubal are boys names but people will think they are girly.

Jasper reminds me a friendly ghost. Abner sounds like an old fuddy duddy. Rueben reminds me of a snadwich. Levi still reminds me of pants. Are you ladies sure it's not too wierd?

I like Joel, but I think people from the US will make say "Jole" instead of

"Jo el" I think people in the Caribbean would say that name nicely though.

I like Silas, Seth and Darius a lot.

Sorry to see you think Ephraim is weird. I love that name. :)

From the list you have left, I choose Silas, but I actually like all three names.

Tara

Oh, really none of them are weird. They are all old, sturdy names. It's just that I think other people will never have heard of them. They will have trouble remembering and pronouncing the name. It's like when I hear of little kid with names like T'qwashawn." I am like, "What? T'qwa___ huh?"

Oh, Luke is a very uncommon name, yet easy to pronounce, spell and remember. Too bad there used to be a really nasty "musical artist" named Luke and that spoiled the name for me. Does anybody remember Luke and his booty shaking "Luke dancers?"

I don't remember the Luke dancers, but the Star Wars connection was enough to turn me off of it. I think it's a great name otherwise.

I appreciate the fact that you commented on the names (even if you didn't like the one I suggested).

Of those you like, I don't like Darius. I had a student named that years ago that turned me against that name. Also, while he pronounced it Dare -e -us, he said his grandmother pronounced it Da - rye - us.

I love Silas and Seth. I also like Simon ( I didn't go back to see if that was suggested). It might bring thoughts of a critical Brit or a chipmunk, though. I also really like the name Paul. It's a strong name that hasn't really gotten too trendy.

HTH,

Melissa

who really enjoys the interactive name threads:D

Paul, no! I once knew a boy named Paul. :001_wub: I can't use that name.

I forgot about Luke Skywalker.

Simon remind me of "Simple Simon met a Pieman" It reminds me of a dumb British person.

Hmm, Darius might be confusing then. I was thinking it was pronounced

Dar e us, rhyming with Far E bus.

I don't like it if it will be said like "Dare-Something or Other." I don't like "Dare" in a name.

Well, for his generation, John will be uncommon, yet do-able for most people. My personal favorite apostle. Some will spell it Jon ... oh you could do Jonathan, too. And hey, how about David? :)

Karen, a trendy name of the late 50's, bleck

I couldn't use Saul because both of the Sauls in the Bible are so flawed. That being said, I like the name okay. Did you consider the name Elias or Eli? I have a book of everyone mentioned in the Bible; so I made a list for you. (like I said I really like the naming threads:D)

Amos, Asa, Barnabus, Caleb, Corneilus (nickname Neil - love that name), Gideon, Isaiah, Isaac (nickname Ike), Josiah, Jotham, Laban, Linus (I really like this name - it does have the Peanuts association, but he was a likable character), Micah, and Nathan.

Tell me to stop if I'm getting annoying!!

HTH,

Melissa

Love Levi. A good friend is about to have her fifth boy, who will be named Benjamin. Her others are Caleb, Christian, Micah and Judah.

Incidentally, I have a Luke and a Noah and am not Christian. Luke was named (well, at least I let dh think so) after Luke Skywalker! :lol: Thank goodness I loved the name.