Menu

Question about The Shack

From a Christian perspective, there is too much questionable theology for me to consider this book read-worthy.

I know it's fiction, but the author himself said that wanted to write a book to explain theology to his children. So when people compare it to The DaVinci Code, or other books that question centuries-old Christian orthodoxy, there is no comparison.

This book review written by Tim Challies explains the concerns. Click the "download here" button to view the PDF. Tim Challies is a Top 100 reviewer on Amazon, FWIW, and very respected Christian blogger.

Additionally, if you click here and scroll down to the "Apologetics" section of this page, you'll see 5 more resources.

I LOVVEEEDD that book. Yes, it made me cry, but it also really hammered down some deeply entrenched stereotypes I had been dealing with.

Caveat -I was going through a period of trying to find the feminine in the Institutional Church's masculine God. And I still am (which is another reason I left denominational churches), but that book was my oasis in a very dry place. I loved it, bought copies to give to friends and my Aunt came to be a Christian by it! It's a fantastic book. Read it for yourself before you take anyone's interpretation of it as your own.

I LOVVEEEDD that book. Yes, it made me cry, but it also really hammered down some deeply entrenched stereotypes I had been dealing with.

Caveat -I was going through a period of trying to find the feminine in the Institutional Church's masculine God. And I still am (which is another reason I left denominational churches), but that book was my oasis in a very dry place. I loved it, bought copies to give to friends and my Aunt came to be a Christian by it! It's a fantastic book. Read it for yourself before you take anyone's interpretation of it as your own.

Have you read Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd? I highly recommend it if you are exploring the Divine Feminine.

I am currently 2/3 of the way through the book. It is very depressing and a very hard read for me. The only reason I have continued to press on is that I am interested in the theology aspect. I like to see how others interpret God, the Trinity, etc. There have been several things that I don't agree with. Like others have said, if you don't like to read about bad things done to children...don't read this book!

I read it. To be honest, while the part about the man's daughter was horrifying, it was not the most disturbing part for me. The entire story made me shake my head at the end. I am just not sure it is worth reading - especially if you are sensitive to the details about the child. In the middle of the book, it retells what happened to her and how it all happened (as in how she was taken, how he turned his back for just a second...). I had nightmares for weeks just remembering the scenario.

My friends tell me I really need to read this book, but I don't handle any kind of pain done to children well at all. - Not to spoil the book for anyone, but I know it involves the stuff of nightmares for parents. Can I skip this part? Is it truly worth reading?

I'm skipping it. I don't want to have images, storyline, etc in my mind about the child. Someone else can tell me about the theology parts they were interested in. :)

I also did not see the Passion of Christ. Had my mother upbraid me for that. Sorry, no thanks. If my husband had been tortured to death to protect me would I want to watch it on a movie? Nope. I didn't want to watch Christ tortured either. Only one person I know who was profoundly moved by it at first sustained a changed life because of it.

No graphic stuff for me!

I'm skipping it. I don't want to have images, storyline, etc in my mind about the child. Someone else can tell me about the theology parts they were interested in. :)

I also did not see the Passion of Christ. Had my mother upbraid me for that. Sorry, no thanks. If my husband had been tortured to death to protect me would I want to watch it on a movie? Nope. I didn't want to watch Christ tortured either. Only one person I know who was profoundly moved by it at first sustained a changed life because of it.

No graphic stuff for me!

I still wish to this day that I had never watched The Passion and never will again, though I don't usually admit that.

I haven't read it and don't intend to, again because of the theology issue. I hang around with mostly very well read and studied liberal Christians and amongst them it's got a bad reputation as well.

I think the value of the book is something a lot of Christians, from liberal to conservative can unite on.:)

I get the feeling it's appeal is mostly to cultural Christians or occasional churchers who aren't really familiar with much thoughtful Christian theology.

Thanks for the advice. Since I've had children, I'm soooo sensitive to that kind of stuff. I remember watching the Titanic (pre kids), and it was sad, but it didn't upset me. I can't imagine watching the movie now with the children trapped on the bottom floors, and the water filling up.... nope- can't handle that!! I'll skip the book!

• 9 months later...

Why didn't I read this thread BEFORE starting The Shack???? A friend of mine gave me the book, telling me I HAD to read it; in fact, her mother has purchased DOZENS of copies to give away to friends, etc. Ugh:confused:

I can not read another page of such DRIVEL!!!!!! Life is too short, and my scant reading time just too precious, for this book. I rarely leave a book unfinished once begun, but I simply cannot finish this one. :ack2:

Just goes to show-- I should check all decisions in life with the Hive first. ;) :lol:

Putting aside the theology issues, it was poorly written, and what happened to the little girl haunted me for weeks. Even looking it as purely fiction (no theology), it wasn't worth reading.

My then 20 yr old dd liked the book and asked me to read it. Otherwise, I probably would never have.

I enjoyed the book, viewing it as the fiction it is meant to be but you wouldn't be able to skip over the horrors, and still get much from the book.

:iagree:

HOWEVER, be aware that the "horror" part is not described in detail, although the allusions are there. I liked the book, but you have to understand that it is NOT intended to be a theology book, but an allegory of sorts.

i really enjoyed this book. it's totally fiction, but good! it was a super easy read for me, finished it in a day at the beach last summer. the tragedy is part of the book, but it's not the purpose of the book (healing out of brokenness is the main gist & knowing you don't have to go through it alone). you could probably skim over the first part, picking up the necessary plot, and then just read the latter with what happened in mind.

library lover, yes, the author talked about his sexual abuse in an interview. he actually went through years of therapy. this book stemmed after he had an affair on his wife and all of his own tragedy came out during counseling while repairing his own marriage. he says the story of the shack is completely fiction but ever so real for him & was part of his healing.

From a Christian perspective, there is too much questionable theology for me to consider this book read-worthy.

This book review written by Tim Challies explains the concerns. Click the "download here" button to view the PDF. Tim Challies is a Top 100 reviewer on Amazon, FWIW, and very respected Christian blogger.

Thanks for linking that! Very well written and interesting (the review I mean!) I have looked at The Shack several times on the shelf and always put it down. I am usually very liberal in my reading, but for some reason I didn't like the sound of it. Based on that review, I'm glad I skipped it. I'm ok with theology I might disagree with, but I don't like it presented in a "sneaky" way. The reviewer described it as "quietly subversive", and I have seen that before in other books.

My friends tell me I really need to read this book, but I don't handle any kind of pain done to children well at all. - Not to spoil the book for anyone, but I know it involves the stuff of nightmares for parents. Can I skip this part? Is it truly worth reading?

If you're afraid of the nightmarish part, then I wouldn't bother reading it. I don't think it's a "must read" for any other reason. It's a story, and to me, it was a very bothersome story. I agreed to read it for a church small group discussion I was in, but was annoyed that I agreed to it. I get tired of books like this being used for church group discussions - I told my friends in the group I'd rather have read something unrelated and meatier, like The Scarlet Letter I was reading at the time, to discuss, but was asked, "But is that something we could use to pray for each other?" after our discussion. I guess I'm just tired of what I perceived to be Christian pop culture around books like The Shack. It roused emotions that were resolved by different emotions, rather than any solidly thought-out conclusion, IMO.

I get the feeling it's appeal is mostly to cultural Christians

I can't imagine watching the movie now with the children trapped on the bottom floors, and the water filling up.... nope- can't handle that!! I'll skip the book!

Nope, then you definitely won't like this book. Read a Shakespeare tragedy instead, lol!

After hearing raves about this book I decided to give it a try. I think it would be impossible to read it without the tragedy sneaking in.

I believe God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are three separate beings. I realize most Christians believe in the trinity, but I was still hoping to get something from the book. I was lost by the end. I can't say that I regret reading it, but I will say that I came away from it very confused...to say the least.

My MIL gave us this book for Christmas last year. Hubby, an ordained minister, told her flat out he refuses to read the book and explained point for point (i.e. Bible's view on the Trinity vs heresy -- the feminine divine POV in the book.) why he felt that way. Personally, the details of a grisly murder of a child repulses me for recreational reading.

Edited by tex-mex

Interesting thread. I have in in my "read basket" behind me. It was recommended on this forum by several people in a thread about my questioning spirituality.

I *hated* the movie The Butterfly Effect because of the implied sexual abuse of children. It disturbed me.

I haven't been able to read "true crime" books since having kids even though I used to read them a lot before then. I love forensics but true crime stories usually involve families with children.

I'm not usually upset about "bad theology" ;) and so I am guessing that it was recommended because it embraces a theological perspective that would interest me.

I'm glad to find out I'm not the only person alive who doesn't like The Shack. :001_smile:

I didn't even get far enough to honestly evaluate the theology. I just found the book painfully boring after the guy went to the shack. And the God characters got on my nerves; I couldn't identify with them at all. One part of me wanted to finish the book just because I'd started it, but I finally decided not to waste my time when there are so many other books I want to find time to read.

As a mom this was a very difficult book to read. As a Christian who has been the victim of a sexual assault, it was wonderful.

The comfort it brought from all the deep questions I was asking at the time was wonderful!!!

I will say this.... before haveing my faith almost shattered I wouldn't have liked it. After coming to the brink and questioning how God could allow such horrible things to be committed?!! Why doesn't He protect? He's all powerful, right? ...I love it!!!

If you decide to read it, read it for what it is. You don't have to judge it against some special theological standard, because it is sold at Christian bookstores ;)

A relative gave me a copy last year. It didn’t appeal, but her rave reviews made me feel a little guilty pushing it aside. My MIL, a religious scholar, kindly offered to read it and give me her impressions. She sent me the following:

“I waded through the book, with effort. The book of Job tackles the topic with more honesty, without sentimentality, and is an infinitely much better piece of literature!â€

So I read an Atwood novel instead! :D

As a mom this was a very difficult book to read. As a Christian who has been the victim of a sexual assault, it was wonderful.

If you decide to read it, read it for what it is. You don't have to judge it against some special theological standard, because it is sold at Christian bookstores ;)

My 2 cents, which really are probably only worth 1 cent in today's economy;):

Since you mentioned things that are sensitive in nature pertaining to children bother you, than I would not recommend reading it.

If you are going to read for theological accurateness, than I wouldn't bother. If you like to think outside the box, than read it.

It made me think about God in a way I never would have. Yes, there are some solid facts about God, but I think there is so much I don't know. I think I am going to be surprised when I see God face to face. I am limited on my understanding of who God is just because I am human and I see things through my filter of experience.

For myself, just because I read something, doesn't mean I have to embrace everything that is written. I can think about it, research stuff Biblically or through other reading, and than keep what is meaningful. I can think of very little reading that I do where I embrace every single idea in it. Even with curriculum :), I take what I think is helpful and use it and let the other stuff go.

How he wrote about where God was when we are being hurt was meaningful tome especially because of things that happened in my life while I was growing up.

“...The book of Job tackles the topic with more honesty, without sentimentality, and is an infinitely much better piece of literature!â€

Exactly! I wish I'd thought of this when we were tossing around the idea of The Shack for our small group book study. I totally agree with this above quote.

The comfort it brought from all the deep questions I was asking at the time was wonderful!!!

I will say this.... before haveing my faith almost shattered I wouldn't have liked it. After coming to the brink and questioning how God could allow such horrible things to be committed?!! Why doesn't He protect? He's all powerful, right? ...I love it!!!

You said it better than I ever could have.

I found this book when I was asking God to show me the feminine in God, I was sick of hearing about "Father'' God and sick of the icky patriarchy I had been dealing with. This book was balm to my soul.

wow. where's the popcorn icon, lol

i liked the book. it was entertaining and thought provoking enough....even if those thoughts roused feelings of injustice, anger, or theological upset in the reader. it's not God's Word, and isn't intended to be. it's just a paperback book in the fiction section of your local bookstore.

A relative gave me a copy last year. It didn’t appeal, but her rave reviews made me feel a little guilty pushing it aside. My MIL, a religious scholar, kindly offered to read it and give me her impressions. She sent me the following:

“I waded through the book, with effort. The book of Job tackles the topic with more honesty, without sentimentality, and is an infinitely much better piece of literature!â€

So I read an Atwood novel instead! :D

I have not read the book. It's not really my thing. However, I have to say that Job sets a pretty high standard of never questioning God or His wisdom. I can see the appeal of a book that allows for more human frailty.

This thread is almost a year old.

I'm seeing a lot of these old threads pop up today.

Troll?

Medieval Mom (who resurrected this thread yesterday) is not a troll but simply regrets not having read this thread and others before she started to read the book.

Thanks, Jean. :)

P.S. Going back into my cave to eat bread made of bones... Humpf... Aroomph... Humpf... ;)

Medieval Mom (who resurrected this thread yesterday) is not a troll but simply regrets not having read this thread and others before she started to read the book.

Oh good. I was just concerned because it seems like there are a lot of old threads popping up today. I'm glad to know it wasn't a troll who brought this one to life.

Thanks, Jean. :)

P.S. Going back into my cave to eat bread made of bones... Humpf... Aroomph... Humpf... ;)

:lol:

Just an update from the OP... I never did read the book, but my husband did. He threw the book in our fireplace and told me not to waste my time!

I wish I had not read the book.

I did NOT start out "accepting" the book as fiction. It portrays itself as true and I was thinking it WAS true until I tried to google some of the details. Then I became skeptical. By the time I came to a tacked on afterward that admitted it was not true, I felt lied to and deceived.

Oh and I had nightmares. Nothing was explicit, no. But it was explicit enough for me.

Meh.

It was barely an average book. Yeah the theology was bad and the writing equally so but it was the melodrama of the whole thing that irked me. Just so overdone. It did not answer any deep, burning spiritual questions for me and I really thought the whole thing was sort of silly. I didn't get my panties in a twist over it but I also would not recommend it as a "must-read".