Menu

"7 Foods Experts Won't Eat"

Here's the article -- what do you think?

1 - Canned tomatoes

2 - Corn-fed beef

3 - Microwave popcorn

4 - Non-organic potatoes

5 - Farmed salmon

6 - Milked produced with artificial hormones

7 - Conventional apples

We use a lot of canned tomatoes, I'll be researching this more and possibly looking into other options. I'm bummed about the apples -- although I already kinda knew it -- because my dh came home with 7-8 boxes of apples recently (free). Oh! And the potatoes; we eat a lot of potatoes. Farmed salmon and microwave popcorn aren't something we eat so no biggie on those. I'd love to buy raw milk, but it's very hard to get in our state; so we try to do a mix of organic and regular (cost-wise).

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate that list.

We eat canned tomatoes practically every day - I knew there were issues, but now that I've read the article, we'll certainly be looking into other options!

And the potatoes - I bought the book The Omnivore's Dilema (The Young Reader's version by accident) and the beginning pages tell a picture inducing story about how non-organic potatoes are grown...I didn't get much past that part because I LOVE POTATOES (and the organic ones are sooooo expensive!). I wan't to read the rest o the book, but I'm scared.

Everything else on the list we already thoroughly avoid, though.

And I'm just kidding about hating your list - I just really wish it wasn't so!

Edited by LauraGB
Misquoted the title o the book - and its been sitting right next to my computer the whole time!

1 - Canned tomatoes

2 - Corn-fed beef

3 - Microwave popcorn

4 - Non-organic potatoes

5 - Farmed salmon

7 - Conventional apples

I tend to start with a thick bottled marinara for most recipes requiring canned tomatoes. You can also buy tetra-pack. Only organic fruit and veg for the kids -- we're lucky to live in an area where fresh, local, organic produce is available for much of the year. Ditto for wild salmon, though I'd be surprised if the salmon in the sushi we eat wasn't farmed. We don't get raw milk, but do purchase organic (conventional, but RBST-free is readily available as well). Beef is tough because grass-fed is expensive, so the only beef I usually purchase is grass-fed ground beef (when on special).

I'm *generally* good about buying organic and more naturally raised meats, etc. But the cans... Ugh. I do keep canned tomatoes in the pantry for all sorts of things, and I also keep canned beans on hand for those days when I don't plan ahead enough to cook dry beans. Sigh. Guess I'd better switch to tetra-pack tomatoes and do a better job of planning so I'm not reaching for canned beans as a quick fix...

I found this statement in the article interesting:

"Try this experiment: Buy a conventional potato in a store, and try to get it to sprout. It won't," says Moyer, who is also farm director of the Rodale Institute (also owned by Rodale Inc., the publisher of Prevention).

I buy conventional grocery store potatoes all the time. They sprout all the time, without my even trying.

1 - Canned tomatoes

2 - Corn-fed beef

3 - Microwave popcorn

4 - Non-organic potatoes

5 - Farmed salmon

7 - Conventional apples

We use a lot of canned tomatoes, I'll be researching this more and possibly looking into other options. I'm bummed about the apples -- although I already kinda knew it -- because my dh came home with 7-8 boxes of apples recently (free). Oh! And the potatoes; we eat a lot of potatoes. Farmed salmon and microwave popcorn aren't something we eat so no biggie on those. I'd love to buy raw milk, but it's very hard to get in our state; so we try to do a mix of organic and regular (cost-wise).

I use canned tomatoes all the time, but fortunately, mine are home grown and preserved. Milk and potatoes are a problem; organic is so expensive. We have our own apples that we keep through the winter.

It isn't a matter of a store-bought potato NEVER sprouting as much as the chemicals they used to delay sprouting. For example, this article about Idaho potatoes indicates they only get one harvest PER year (of course they don't mention any chemicals being added to their potatoes). So they have methods for preserving the potato so they can stagger the supply in the super markets.

I buy locally grown, organic potatoes. They are harvested the week I get them and they will sprout on me in less than 10 days, if not used or refrigerated. How long have normal potatoes been sitting in the super market covered in a chemical that has delayed sprouting? So even if your potatoes will sprout within 10 days of your bringing them home, they were harvested possibly months before that.

Another interesting fact is rarely can you use potatoes in the super market as "seed potatoes". They tend to rot instead.

1 - Canned tomatoes

2 - Corn-fed beef

3 - Microwave popcorn

4 - Non-organic potatoes

5 - Farmed salmon

7 - Conventional apples

Well, my granddaddy used to spray the orchard and come home covered in arsenic. He died in his tomato patch at age 80. I'll keep eating apples.

I don't eat farmed salmon, though, because of the mercury. Irrational, I know! But you can get wild salmon without much trouble.

Wow. I knew about the milk, beef, salmon and apples. But the popcorn, canned tomatoes, and potatoes are new ones. Well, actually we have been getting organic potatoes through our veggie co-op lately and that was the first time I heard that conventional potatoes were treated so they didn't sprout. I didn't know about the fungicide, etc. though. :glare:

Luckily, my dh is Italian and since we've been married we have been canning tomatoes with his family every September. I had no idea that store-bought canned tomatoes were so bad for you, we just knew that the home-jarred tomatoes tasted about 10 times better. Makes me feel like all of that work every labor day weekend for the last ten years was worth it. Guess I won't complain anymore. :D

As for the apples, I have to remember that it's not *just* apples, but apple sauce and apple juice as well, and make sure that I am buying organic across the board for apple products.

The ways that we slowly poison ourselves without even knowing.... :glare:

We consume a LOT of canned tomatoes. I went online recently to find what my options were and found out a brand named Pomi makes a tetra pack diced tomato. I just bought a TON of them. They appear to be available at almost any grocery store (although I'd never noticed them before!).

I have never seen them before. They are with the regular tomato products?

I found this statement in the article interesting:

I buy conventional grocery store potatoes all the time. They sprout all the time, without my even trying.

I can't stop my store-bought potatoes from sprouting.

me too! and i don't buy organic either.

Ours, too.

Not only have mine sprouted, but throwing peelings in the garden area actually gave me a couple of potato plants last year!

We consume a LOT of canned tomatoes. I went online recently to find what my options were and found out a brand named Pomi makes a tetra pack diced tomato. I just bought a TON of them. They appear to be available at almost any grocery store (although I'd never noticed them before!).

They have them at Wegman's.:)

Does anybody ever feel like it's a crapshoot no matter what we do? I switched from plastic bottles to re-usable. I stopped doing this...I stopped doing that...and still...this is 7 more things I have to worry about (ok, really 4 or 5 because I had already stopped doing the others.)

I cook with canned tomatoes for about 60% of my meals...I use them several times a week. Now I have to feel guilty about that too :( I don't use canned veggies b/c we just don't like them. My daughter DOES like canned campbells soup though. I can't keep a pot of chicken noodle soup long enough to freeze it (and honestly, I would freeze it in plastic containers..so even that wouldn't be good.)

I'm slowly killing my family by just cooking and I can only do so much to stop it. :angry:

1 - Canned tomatoes

2 - Corn-fed beef

3 - Microwave popcorn

4 - Non-organic potatoes

5 - Farmed salmon

7 - Conventional apples

I can my own tomatoes, and they're really good.

I never would have thought about it before, but corn-fed beef tastes like complete and utter crap compared to the grass & grain fed beef we raise.

I've never had microwave popcorn. I don't have microwave.

We grow our own potatoes. They aren't organic. We don't put anything chemical on them, but our seed potatoes don't come from an organic grower, so I can't call them organic.

I don't eat any fish or seafood, so salmon... no.

The last two -- milk and apples -- I don't have a local source for those (except when the apples trees are setting fruit, but they're just cooking apples), so I just buy what's available. I'm sure that makes me evil or something. Whatever.

Does anybody ever feel like it's a crapshoot no matter what we do? I switched from plastic bottles to re-usable. I stopped doing this...I stopped doing that...and still...this is 7 more things I have to worry about (ok, really 4 or 5 because I had already stopped doing the others.)

I cook with canned tomatoes for about 60% of my meals...I use them several times a week. Now I have to feel guilty about that too :( I don't use canned veggies b/c we just don't like them. My daughter DOES like canned campbells soup though. I can't keep a pot of chicken noodle soup long enough to freeze it (and honestly, I would freeze it in plastic containers..so even that wouldn't be good.)

I'm slowly killing my family by just cooking and I can only do so much to stop it. :angry:

I am with you on this. I just feel like it is a no win situation. Figure the best way to keep us safe is to starve...

:iagree:It seems like every time we turn around we find out something else is bad for us. I do not like to give my kids campbell's soup because of all the msg. But then I'm sure that the grocery store chicken that I put in homemade is just as bad or possibly worse. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:It seems like every time we turn around we find out something else is bad for us. I do not like to give my kids campbell's soup because of all the msg. But then I'm sure that the grocery store chicken that I put in homemade is just as bad or possibly worse. :tongue_smilie:

Crap..I did NOT realize it had MSG. I thought I looked...but I guess not. I'm in Singapore right now but when I get home, I guess I'll buy some organic veggies and chicken and make my own and freeze it. What do I freeze it in that won't kill us?

I'm very much of the mind that you do what you can do, you know? This list was very concise to me -- 7 things I can do (most of the time). I've seen lots of other lists, such as the 10 fruits & vegies you should always eat organic, the fats you should always avoid, etc., and that's when I get overwhelmed. That's why I liked this list.

Thanks for the input!

Crap..I did NOT realize it had MSG. I thought I looked...but I guess not. I'm in Singapore right now but when I get home, I guess I'll buy some organic veggies and chicken and make my own and freeze it. What do I freeze it in that won't kill us?

I didn't either until recently. I wonder if they just started it. My oldest son has stomach problems and when he is having a bad flare-up, he can eat chicken soup without it bothering him. So I have a choice of cooking two separate meals or heating up a can of soup.

"Try this experiment: Buy a conventional potato in a store, and try to get it to sprout. It won't," says Moyer,

My plain old grocery store potatoes sprout. Invariably, if I leave one or two in there for more than a week or two, they sprout quite a lot.

But where in the world do you buy crushed tomatoes that aren't in a can?

My plain old grocery store potatoes sprout. Invariably, if I leave one or two in there for more than a week or two, they sprout quite a lot.

Yep, same here. My kids sprouted a potato for one of their science experiments and it's now about two feet tall and flowering.

Edited by Hotdrink

This was all put out on one list with many different sources. I wouldn't trust all the sources equally. That said, I am looking into some alternatives with the cans but don't expect to totally eliminate. I also will consider buying a popcorn popper but not the nasty air popped ones since I hated the taste. I was buying milk in Florida that was hormone free but have to check that out here. Everything is much more expensive here so it will have to be choices I make. We aren't eating enough fish as it is because of picky kids. I am not worried about either potatoes or apples.

Here's a recent article summarizing Consumer Reports' findings.

MANY thanks for that article. It seems to me that canned tomatoes aren't as bad as other things. Here's a cut and paste section from the article:

"Consumer Reports tested three different samples of each canned item for BPA and found that the highest levels of BPA tests were found in some samples of canned green beans and canned soups. Canned Del Monte Fresh Cut Green Beans Blue Lake had the highest amount of BPA for a single sample, with levels ranging from 35.9 parts per billon (ppb) to 191 ppb. Progresso Vegetable Soup BPA levels ranged from 67 to 134 ppb. Campbell's Condensed Chicken Noodle Soup had BPA levels ranging from 54.5 to 102 ppb. Average amounts in tested products varied widely. In most items tested, such as canned corn, chili, tomato sauce, and corned beef, BPA levels ranged from trace amounts to about 32 ppb. "

We don't eat canned vegetables (other than tomatoes), but we do eat canned soup fairly often (quick and easy in the cold of winter). I may have to rethink it... Maybe ramen with a few added veggies IS healthier.

Does anyone know where we can get a complete list of foods tested - with brand names?

Ok....my jaded DH said before we all rush off and buy Pomi tomatoes we need to make sure that they (or their peers) didn't sponsor the making of the list of no-nos! And he's right...it wouldn't be the first time that a "study" was sponsored by someone will a product to sell that will save us all!

I'm with others who posted that their potatoes sprout without effort. In fact, I just dumped a half bag into the compost heap yesterday that had tentacles, as my daughter calls them, as long as her arm! (The bag got shoved to the back of the pantry and forgotten). So I'm going to say that my potatoes are safe....that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I think I might send this article off to my state politicians.....maybe they can put a provision in their health care reform to require all tomatoes be in healthy non-chemical cans. Heck, it'd be the most closely related provision wouldn't it? Awww shucks, that means it won't happen.

An idea for next summer would be to grow tomatoes and freeze them--if you don't like canning. This last summer, I canned a few, but mainly froze my tomatoes. It is very easy to do, and they are probably more healthy than canned because they aren't processed as long.

Potatoes are also very easy to grow, and you don't have to dig them up all at once. We're still digging ours out of the garden.; they are keeping very well down under the ground.

Just some ideas :)

This was all put out on one list with many different sources. I wouldn't trust all the sources equally. That said, I am looking into some alternatives with the cans but don't expect to totally eliminate. I also will consider buying a popcorn popper but not the nasty air popped ones since I hated the taste. I was buying milk in Florida that was hormone free but have to check that out here. Everything is much more expensive here so it will have to be choices I make. We aren't eating enough fish as it is because of picky kids. I am not worried about either potatoes or apples.

Pop your popcorn in an ordinary pot on the stove. It's soooo easy, and very fast. We have one designated pot for the purpose--an old, really cheap one from the early days of our marriage--but you can use any pot. We don't measure anything out--we just put in some oil to cover the bottom of the pot, enough popcorn to just cover the bottom and heat over medium heat, covered. Shake occasionally, particularly when popping commences. Turn out into a bowl when popping slows (don't burn your popcorn!) and salt immediately because the salt will stick better.

We eat it like that. For an occasional treat, though, I might pour over melted butter and toss, then salt lightly.