Menu

We're new

Just read the book. I'm a proud Dad. Our kids are young 3, 2, and 4mos. We live in perhaps the worst school district in America(Charleston County, SC). Are interested in homeschooling but probably have the typical issues. Will my kid be werid due to lack of socializing? What about sports? Can Mom do it all? What are co-ops? What the heck is ds and dd? Does mom have to wear a denim jumper and running shoes while teaching? When do you mention to your kids that they are learning differently than what is being taught in public schools?

Is there a thread that answers these questions? Is Voddie Baucham the 4th member of the trinity?

Already concerned that we may be getting involved in a subculture that could easily be forged into an idol....just judging by the shorthand on the forums. :bigear:

If you care to respond, thank you for your patience beforehand.

Welcome! I'm sure more eloquent people will chime in for your other questions, but I just wanted to say that no mom can't do it all but that is part of the fun. You figure out what is the most improtant to and your family and go with it. For me, famliy is the most important and being able to spend all day teaching, cuddling and just living with my kids, it is all worth it.

Just read the book. I'm a proud Dad. Our kids are young 3, 2, and 4mos. We live in perhaps the worst school district in America(Charleston County, SC). Are interested in homeschooling but probably have the typical issues. Will my kid be werid due to lack of socializing? What about sports? Can Mom do it all? What are co-ops? What the heck is ds and dd? Does mom have to wear a denim jumper and running shoes while teaching? When do you mention to your kids that they are learning differently than what is being taught in public schools?

Is there a thread that answers these questions? Is Voddie Baucham the 4th member of the trinity?

Already concerned that we may be getting involved in a subculture that could easily be forged into an idol....just judging by the shorthand on the forums. :bigear:

Your kids might be weird, but it won't be due to the location of their schooling.

They can still play sports. There are many option open to homeschoolers.

Mom can do a lot, but support and understanding from her husband when she is struggling is very important. She should never be expected to 'do it all'.

She *should not* wear a denim jumper. :D

Who is Voddie Baucham?

Love to see a DAD on the forums!!

Just read the book. I'm a proud Dad. Our kids are young 3, 2, and 4mos. We live in perhaps the worst school district in America(Charleston County, SC). Are interested in homeschooling but probably have the typical issues. Will my kid be werid due to lack of socializing?

Define wierd. Is my 18yo wierd because she studies and is prepared for her college courses? Is my 19yo wierd because he opens doors for females?

FOr the record, there is no lack of socializing. Join a few local groups and you will find out that there is far too many socializing activities!

What about sports?

HOmeschooled kids can join local YMCA, leagues, and in some areas they can join Private school teams or homeschool teams. Look around your area and I'm sure you will find options.

Can Mom do it all?

Sure....but don't you want to join the fun???? My dh likes to go over the day with the kids, listen to them read and science. MOM can do it all but the more the merrier!

What are co-ops?

Groups of homeschoolers who share duties and teaching. You can homeschool without co-ops but for some folks it is a blessing.

What the heck is ds and dd?

ds-dear son

dd-dear daughter

dh dear hubby

Does mom have to wear a denim jumper and running shoes while teaching?

Oh my I've been doing it wrong all these years!:lol:

No. Pajamas work nicely.

When do you mention to your kids that they are learning differently than what is being taught in public schools?

Never. They figure it out on their own when they talk to friends from the PS system.

Is there a thread that answers these questions?

Most of them....just avoid any with spanking/bikini/MIL/etc in the title.:D

Is Voddie Baucham the 4th member of the trinity?

That's funny! I like Voddie Baucham but I'm pretty sure he hasn't made that status yet.

Enjoy the journey!

Will my kid be werid due to lack of socializing? Only if you want them to be and lock them in a cupboard.

What about sports? Depends on your area

Can Mom do it all? Nope, she can do lots though.

What are co-ops? Something you lucky Americans have

What the heck is ds and dd? Dear Son and Dear Daughter

Does mom have to wear a denim jumper and running shoes while teaching? I hope not or I'll be kicked out of the club.

When do you mention to your kids that they are learning differently than what is being taught in public schools? When they ask/notice/want to know

Is there a thread that answers these questions? There's a whole board.

Is Voddie Baucham the 4th member of the trinity? Who? What?

Already concerned that we may be getting involved in a subculture that could easily be forged into an idol....just judging by the shorthand on the forums. :bigear: Well actually the short hand is about saving our fingers from typing fatigue ;) I can't comment on idols, I'm a godless heathen.

For you fellow christians out there. Is there an online christian library? Some type of company or organization perhaps that you pay an up front fee and then get to check out books, audiobooks and dvds for learning purposes? Some of the things I would like to expose my young children to i cannot find at the local library.

I think you're the 3rd dad in a week to join the boards. Glad to have you here. Welcome!

Just stick around reading on this board for about a week or so and all your questions will be answered.

There's a thread out there now asking "Why did you decide to homeschool?" You might want to start with that one!!

Hi fellow noob!

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=161722

this link was given to me in the beginnings of my learning process on another board I am a member of and although it may be oldish it is a great wealth of knowledge that covers many of the common concerns and such of HSing and backs it up with evidence :)

oh and by the way not denim jumpers here I rock out in my camo cargo shorts and various t shirts or if I am having a cozy day then just my PJs :p

Welcome. I'll try to answer your ???

No, via home schooling you dc (dear child(ren)) won't be weird, although there's always the chance you're weird and it will rub off :001_smile: (my futile attempt at comedy) You'll soon find socialization is really only the S-word to people who have not learned about home schooling. To those of us in the field, it's a non-issue. I encourage you to look at what they will probably learn from their peers in K-12 and decide if that's the best place for them.

Sports vary via your county -- some allow participation via public school (ps), while others simply use leagues (YMCA, rec. centers, AAU, etc)

Some moms do it all. Some don't. That will be up to family dynamics. And by all I mean school, house cleaning, cooking, etc.

Co-ops are gatherings of other home schoolers where classes (any variety) are available, and/or support groups.

I prefer to avoid denim jumpers, but hey, to each his own. We come in All shapes and sizes in the happy land of home schooling. Think, Duggar to Ozbourne.

We told our dc (ds=dear son, dd= dear daughter, dh=dear husband, etc.....) from day one that we were doing things differently and that we were doing what we thought was best for our family. Home schooling truly isn't for everyone.

Searching threads is helpful, but newbies are always welcome to ask away.

You are mindful of the force, I see. :) Yes, home schooling can absolutely become an idol. People can absolutely become prideful and self righteous in their decisions, even complacent....just like every thing else in the fallen world. It can also become a part of who your family is and a way to encourage a solid foundation in the value system by which your family lives. It's easier to encourage that system when You, Mom and Dad, can choose outside influences at your own pace.

Lots of shorthand...check out the Abbreviations on the top of the General Forum...it helps.

Welcome and enjoy. May you be led to the right path, home schooling, or not.

For you fellow christians out there. Is there an online christian library? Some type of company or organization perhaps that you pay an up front fee and then get to check out books, audiobooks and dvds for learning purposes? Some of the things I would like to expose my young children to i cannot find at the local library.

cbd (christian book distributors)

lots of freebies online

I would encourage you to read other methods of educating like Charlotte Mason, Montessori.

Take a peek at Before Five in a Row (BFIAR) as a nice resource for early education.

The list really is endless.

First of all, welcome from a displaced Carolinian! Charleston is my hometown :) But alas, I'm stuck north of the Mason-Dixon line at the moment.

No, your kid won't be any weirder than he or she would be if they were in public school. If they tend to being bookish or geeky (which is pretty cool, btw) then they will be so whether they are in school or at home schooling. If they are active, then they can be involved in sports and dramas, etc, even if they are schooled at home. We're not all social misfits. Or rather, some of us were social misfits when we were IN public school and don't want to put our child through that trauma...let them mature and learn in peace and skip the bullying...it really doesn't "make them tough", it just beats them down and breaks their spirit.

Can Mom do it all? Depends on what "all" is and what she can't do, she may be able to find other alternatives (there is more than public, private, and Mom sitting at the kitchen table....videos, co-ops, tutors, computer programs). Co-ops are groups where homeschooled families come together and arrange classes with parents or a paid person who are familiar with a particular topic/subject/activity come and teach. Karate, ballet, band, Latin, Spanish, History, Chemistry. Hey, if so-and-so's dad is an engineer who has an afternoon a week to dedicate, have him teach a hands on physics course.

ds and dd...dear son, dear daughter....dh is dear hubby. You get the picture ;)

You have got to be kidding if you really are asking about a Mom Uniform for homeschooling. We come from all different backgrounds. Some of us show cleavage (sorry, it was a recent topic :lol: ), some of us wear headcoverings/tiechels/hijabs, some of us wear denim jumpers, and some of us wear flannel and jeans with our boots (In my case, I like my blue jean skirt, dh's flannel shirt, and boots if I can't go barefoot...toss in a cool snood or funky tied tiechel with hoop earrings and I'm set).

There are different methods of learning and teaching. Unlike the public schools where it is a one size fits all, in home education you can tailor your program to suit how your child learns best or needs extra assistance in, how mom teaches/manages best, and schedule how it best suits your family. You also can expand or rabbit trail on subject that you find of particular interest.

No on Voddie. He might be listed at Monergism, but he's a Baptist. Gd isn't Baptist (or Methodist or Lutheran or....well, you get the picture). I'd be concerned for anyone that would even speculate such. And logic would state that you can't have a 4th person in a trinity...or it wouldn't be a trinity, would it? But they don't teach logic in schools nowadays, do they (C.S. Lewis reference ;) )

Anything and anyone can be turned into an idol. You don't run around naked because clothes can be idolised. You don't starve yourself because of the gluttony you see around you in American culture (good heaven's, one breakfast at Pappy's will keel you over with a heart attack!) Seriously. There are those that turn the public school system into an idol. Our country has literally idolised it to the point that people think that it's the "only" way a child can be educated. Home education beats against that theory. Do some people idolise it? Maybe. Perhaps for them it's simply a conviction. It's the right thing for THEIR family and what they believe to be the best or only thing for their family. If they believe it to be best for everyone, well, they are entitled to their opinion...everyone has one. As for this forum...we just like to beat dead horses ;):lol:

Edited by mommaduck

Will my kid be weird due to lack of socializing? Only if you lock them in the basement and don't let them socialize! :lol: If that's not the case then they will be fine. You wouldn't want them socializing with a fair number of the kids at school anyway! Besides there is sports, scouting, co-ops, kids in the neighborhood, family members...

What about sports? Check with your school. The schools here have to let homeschooled kids try out for team sports. There is always little league, soccer, football, volleyball, cheer leagues, swimming lessons, martial arts...

Can Mom do it all? Nope, but you are already helping out by seeking out this info!

What are co-ops? I don't belong to one so I'll let someone else tackle this one.

What the heck is ds and dd? There is an abbreviation sticky at the top of one the forms, but it's dear son and dear daughter.

Does mom have to wear a denim jumper and running shoes while teaching? Yes, it's mandatory! They are on sell at Walmart this week better stock up!

When do you mention to your kids that they are learning differently than what is being taught in public schools? Let them in on the discussions about homeschooling, but don't present it as a choice. Answer their questions, but don't talk negatively about public school since most of their friends will probably be attending ps. This is something Mom and Dad have decided to do because it's best for our family! Most kids, especially the younger ones, are mostly concerned with the fact that they won't get to ride the school bus! Silly kids!

Is there a thread that answers these questions? Most likely, but ask away people are friendly. For the most part.

Is Voddie Baucham the 4th member of the trinity? Who?Should I know who that is? 4=trinity...I'll have to say no since the math doesn't work.

Already concerned that we may be getting involved in a subculture that could easily be forged into an idol....just judging by the shorthand on the forums. :lol:

This will get you off to a great start: Honey for a Child's Heart

and this next one is a gold mine ~ it contains lists (and reviews through a Christian lens) of great books for kids: Books Children Love

Do you live near a library? If you do, then you'll still find them terribly lacking in good Christian books. Regardless, I agree, start building your library. Books are an investment, as I'm sure you're well aware. Your children will read them again and again and again. If you're looking for book bundles, many people buy from Tapestry of Grace's bookstore Bookshelf Central , Veritas Press or Sonlight, all Christian, carrying great books.

Hope that helps! Welcome to the forum, and kudos for you for looking into these things so early in the game!

Edited by specialmama

Yes, your kid will be weird due to lack of socializing, and you will be glad. As my dd says, "I've seen normal, and I don't want any part of it."

Team sports are over-rated. Things like swimming and running and bicycling can be done for a lifetime and are easy to do without a school.

Mom can do it all, but she doesn't have to. Dad can help, you can join co-ops, dc (dear children) can take classes at the community college in high school, etc., etc.

Mom should not wear a denim jumper (unless that is what you think she looks "hott" in,) but she must have fabulous shoes. As must your dc. That is an inside joke: on the old boards (also "insider slang" that is meant to tell you that I really belong here, because I was here before the boards changed format almost two years ago) there was a post about someone being told that homeschooled kids make other kids angry because they have better shoes. :confused: Sometimes you just have to laugh...

Your dc will figure it out. And you will have to teach them not to make really obnoxious pro-homeschooling comments and eye roll at stupidity in public.

If you join any forum on any topic anywhere on the internet, you will find a subculture.

As for the books, you really end up having to buy most of the Christian ones. The libraries are busy buying... oh, I won't even go there and get this thread all off-topic. :D Surrounding your dc with books in their home is a great way to influence them to a love of learning, though.

Yes, such a library does exist. Google "family vision library" and it should take you there. LOADS of great resources and they will send you a certain number of books to check out per year, I believe. (I'm fortunate enough to just make the drive each month.). They even have Voddie confrence cd's if you are inclined!

That being said, you may also want to try interlibrary loan or paperbackswap as those options may be more pocketbook friendly for most items.

Hope I've helped! :)

Welcome!

I don't own a denim jumper, but my Mother-in-Law does. She's always been very supportive of homeschooling, maybe it's the denim jumpers?:D

Church libraries can be a good resource, my Mother-in-Law goes to one near her from a church she doesn't even go to! (It can't hurt to ask.)

If your church doesn't have a library or is poorly stocked, you could take over as librarian for a while and fix that problem. We move a lot, our current church library is the best I've seen for its size--it's run by a homeschool family.

Edited by ElizabethB

Our daughter was also 3 back in 1999, when my husband borrowed the first edition of WTM from the library. 10 years later and we still homeschool. Don't worry about the socialization thing, other than you will have to cut out some activities so that your kids do not get too much socialization!:tongue_smilie:

As moms, we all tease each other about our official homeschool clothing. However, very few of us even own a denim jumper.

My kids participate in city league sports. We did co-ops one time, never again. Mom can do it all, but sounds like you are able bodied and can help her out! My husband teaches PE, Bible and Latin. Most of this is before he goes in to work on weekdays and on Saturday mornings.

I have never mentioned to my kids that they are taught differently than their government school counterparts. It will become evident when your child is talking about Mesopatomia and the gov. school kid will have no idea. And so it continues with other subjects.

I have never heard of Voddie B.

We started our journey thinking that our homeschooling would be for a short time. 10 years later and we are still going strong.

Welcome to the board!

Mary

Just read the book. I'm a proud Dad. Our kids are young 3, 2, and 4mos. We live in perhaps the worst school district in America(Charleston County, SC). Are interested in homeschooling but probably have the typical issues. Will my kid be werid due to lack of socializing?

Why should there be a lack of socialising? My boys both do cubs/scouts, martial arts, book group and Chinese class.

What about sports?

See above.

Can Mom do it all?

Depends on the mum. You can always buy in/trade services if necessary.

What are co-ops?

Some form of shared/exchanged learning.

What the heck is ds and dd?

dearest/darling son or daughter

Does mom have to wear a denim jumper and running shoes while teaching?

(looks down) nope!

When do you mention to your kids that they are learning differently than what is being taught in public schools?

They'll work it out. They'll ask questions. It's not a big deal to mine.

We are here to answer questions: "My ear is open like a greedy shark" (Keats, of all people).

Laura (home educating for over six years now)

Welcome, I am fairly new to all of this as well.

It seems like all of your questions were answered thoroughly by the hive, so I will answer some questions that you didn't ask:001_smile:

I didn't see anyone mention this, but you can find pretty much all of the abbreviations here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/board-abbreviations/

This will be valuable when you come across posts that say: I am a WTM'er with a CM influence currently using 100 EZ & SOTW and I am looking for information about LCC.

Trust me, when you first start, the abbreviations are around every corner.

My second suggestion would be to google information. I used to go various threads and check the signatures of the people posting. I would then google the curriculum that they were using to see what it was about. Knowing what is 'out there' will help you greater appreciate which ever curriculum/method you choose to use.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask questions... the women who have been HSing (homeschooling) for years love to answer questions and their knowledge is astounding cause they have BTDT (been there/done that)

I don't know what sports you think your children might be interested in, but in some, homeschooling is a great advantage. I have a competitive tennis player whose tennis-playing friends are all begging their parents to homeschool. The kids who can schedule school around training and tournament demands are at such an advantage, and of course colleges don't recruit for tennis programs out of high schools. I always imagined I might send my boys to regular school for high school, but if he's still serious about tennis, then sports might be the thing that keeps him from wanting to do that.

Likewise, I have a competitive swimmer, and while his practice schedule is set to accommodate kids who are in school, it's very nice to have flexibility with schooling because the sport is a demanding one in terms of time. And it's one that is entirely open to children who don't attend school - at least in this area, and I would imagine Charleston is the same.

These are also great sports in terms of having professional, dedicated coaches. Both of my boys have really enjoyed the other children they have met in their sports.

I do think my children are receiving a better academic education than they could in our public schools. I also enjoy homeschooling - I enjoy the time with my children. I feel that I am investing my time wisely.

Christianbook.com is not free, but they have tons of specials and are worth a look :)

Two things:

being wierd... depends on your definition. My dcs are very polite and they know things that most kids their age don't (world history makes a big difference). They're all readers (the youngest doesn't really read yet, but tries to). Those things make them 'wierd' to some, but (BUT) they have lots of friends who go to different schools and live nearby. The other kids (ime - in my experience) think what my dcs (dear children) know is cool, lol. The local ps (public school) now has a gang of kids demanding acknowledgement of Leif Erickson and HIS discovery of America :lol: Oh, and the fact that you CAN subtract a bigger number from a smaller number...

sports... YMCA, local Parks & Recreation, Church Leagues, the backyard with Dad ;)

We don't spend a ton of money on books, but I am shocked at the "library" we've managed to put together in our 10ish years of homeschooling. We buy books at library book sales, half.com, and sometimes actually spend retail.

One beautiful thing about homeschooling is that you and Mom will discover the curriculum and books and ideas that make you passionate about feeding the minds of your children. It won't look exactly like anyone else's passion, but that's why God gave *your* children to you, and you to your children :).

FWIW, I have never owned a denim jumper. Makes me look like a crazy cat woman wearing a tent.

Aw, man! Why didn't anyone tell me we didn't have to wear a denim jumper? I thought it was required {slinks off to put jumped back in closet}

As to socialization...........

....I'd rather have my kids socialized by wild chimps. Have you seen the way some kids act in public school? {insert shudder}

My oldest never wanted to do sports, but when I finally sent her to public high school she did join a team. The littles do gymnastics 3 times a week. Some schools allow your kids to try out for the team (after all, you still pay the property tax that supports the schools!), but the requirements probably vary by district.

P.S. I do believe in selective socialization. That means I have a say over the who, when, where (gymnastics, church, athletic club, kids of my friends, etc.) Because of the time my oldest dd spent homeschooling, she made better choices once she went to high school. But with the kidlets I really like knowing who is influencing them and their behavior.

My hubby reads difficult books with my dc as bedtime stories. He also does a lot of library things: ordering, picking up, extending our loan, returning, paying late fines :lol:. He also fully supports HS so does not mind if I spent uber amounts on curric. Of course, he wants to know that I fully researched and am making wise choices. Most of all, he is an encourager. He appreciates this huge sacrifice I'm making. It is, after all, the most selfless thing I've ever done. He is understanding. He doesn't get angry that I only cook dinner about 2 times per week. The rest of the time it's "easy night" or "self serve". He takes the kids out sometimes, maybe every 3 or 4 weeks he'll take them out for about 5 or 6 hours on a Saturday so I can rest and plan and re-organize. In the summer he takes them out a lot so I can plan for the upcoming year.

Oh yes, he also helps by pitching in more around the house and putting the kids to bed more than half of the time.

Could some of you ladies describe the level of involvement of your dh's in your HS(how's that for abbr?)?

My dh - loves to do flashcards with them when they are doing that sort of thing. He also is our math "answer man" for when I get stuck while trying to explain math to ds12. He is our show-n-tell guy - and this is a wonderful thing because I get to see my children's excitement as they set aside certain things to show Daddy or leave out the stuff to do the science experiment again with Dad. In that same vein, he is also the science "answer man" for when the &$#@ science experiment doesn't work!

From one Charlestonian to another... welcome! We just moved from Charleston Air Force Base to Summerville. We use H.E.L.P., there is also TEACH and SHEEP if you want co-op opportunities. Upwards is a common sports opportunity, I've only heard about it this week so I have no information but think it's worth looking into.

Your wife will love your help in any way possible. My DH rarely helps but did start this last month doing a little bit. He is more of an encourager, reminding the kids to do their work if he gets home and I'm still struggling to finish the day. As you get started, your wife will probably tell you how you can help. :)

Could some of you ladies describe the level of involvement of your dh's in your HS(how's that for abbr?)?

He doesn't do any teaching. He sometimes takes a day off work and drives the children around to activities so that I can get some other things done. His listening ear when I am trying to work out what to do next is invaluable.

Laura

Support mostly. Obviously he's the bread winner. He listened to a lot of crying when I first started (just keepin' it real). Now, he does library runs and allows the dc to "present" their work to him. We keep him out of the classroom :001_huh: I'm very territorial about it ;0)

One way he did surprise me was with music appreciation. I'm very formal in the things I do, he's Mr. Laidback. When I mentioned to him that I wanted to begin music appreciation (we have older dc), he took it upon himself to begin introducing the music from his youth to the children. He's a bit of an expert, so in the evenings while I prepare dinner, he sits down and finds stuff on Youtube and shares with the dc. It has been an amazing year+ of appreciation for them.

He also doesn't get bent out of shape if I ever get behind in housework (which is not very often, but does occur about once every 3 months). He'll take out a load of laundry if I ask him to. He'll take the little one to Home Depot or something for me too.

Support. Support. Support.

Just wanted to say welcome! You've gotten plenty of answers to your questions. As far as the "How is Dad involved?" at our house, Dad is the breadwinner and listens to me whine and exult, depending on the day. He does just about the same things with our kids as he did before we homeschooled--reads aloud, takes them shopping for groceries (now just the littlest one for those two), encourages them, exercises at the gym with them, etc.; all the Dad-things. He did pitch in the actual teaching by doing maths and guitar with my eldest son (younger son wasn't homeschooled).

One little "caution" for you--try not to plunge in too early with the lesson plans, projects, formal curriculum--you know, the "fun" stuff of homeschooling (lol). I see your oldest is 3yo--even tho you may be ready soon to implement WTM stuff, it really is a good idea to wait on formal homeschooling. If you have to work on anything in a preparatory manner, may I suggest 3 things--

1. Use this time to become a master at communication with your wife.

2. Teach your kids to obey both of you cheerfully.

3. Develop reasonable, shared expectations of how your home should look/feel/run, and flexible routines to get you there.

If you can get those 3 areas under control, homeschooling is easier.

Enjoy!

Edited by Chris in VA

Welcome!

ds is dear son.

dd is dear daughter.

Can you figure out dh and dw now? My favorite is STBXH (soon to be ex husband).

My kids are weird. I'm weird. It's not from homeschooling and it isn't from lack of socialization (henceforth called the S-word).

The S-word is a push button issue for most homeschoolers. I don't think sitting in a class with same age peers and not being able to talk to said peers should be considered S-wording.

Sports aren't an issue if you have community sports available. My boys are in tae kwon do, soccer and archery. There are also many school districts who allow hsed kids to play high school sports. Check into it, should the need arise.

Co-ops are groups of people who get together for classes, social events, etc. We don't belong to one.

I don't wear denim jumpers and prefer Vans or Converse to running shoes. We regularly school in pjs and don't wear shoes in the house. And I can't do it all by myself but I do all of the schooling and housework. Dh handles car repairs, lawns and money making.

I don't know who Voddie Baucham is but I'm off to google him now. Oh, he's a religious figure. We're secular. :)

Welcome to the boards. There's a lot to be learned here, wonderful, amazing people and some very heated, intellectual arguments.

You are already miles ahead of many hsing dads just by asking the question! :)

My dh enjoys doing science experiments with the kids. He'll listen to our emerging readers read in the evenings and ohhh and ahhh over the kids as they talk about their day. He helps me get perpective to problems that I vent about. He makes sure the kids know that school is a priority by asking them questions and looking over their work. He doesn't fuss over funds spent on curriculum. In fact, he rather buy something new that works for us with all the bells and whistles if it means I spend less time creating lesson plans and more time working with the kids.

He also will cook a meal, clean a kitchen,mop a floor....on the days I work.... and do his own laundry.

Dh gets an evening report from ds. Ds tells him whatever new and exciting things he did and 'teaches' dh history, math and science in the evening ;) Dh adds anywhere he can during those discussions. For ds, the conversations are just really nice ways to 'show off' what he's learned, but for dh it's time for him to really contribute. Since he doesn't read the books we use (unless ds brings them to him), he's free to add whatever information he knows into the mix.

It's really nice and both are learning new conversation/communication skills ;)

No. He's just one more guy making a buck off the Bible.

VB turned down 7 figures for an NFL contract to go to seminary and accumulate debt. Now he's "making a buck off the Bible"? I guess he and Benny Hinn are having tea in Dana Point right about now. And he is a fierce protector of homeschool families.

Edited by gardnesd

One little "caution" for you--try not to plunge in too early with the lesson plans, projects, formal curriculum--you know, the "fun" stuff of homeschooling (lol). I see your oldest is 3yo--even tho you may be ready soon to implement WTM stuff, it really is a good idea to wait on formal homeschooling. If you have to work on anything in a preparatory manner, may I suggest 3 things--

1. Use this time to become a master at communication with your wife.

2. Teach your kids to obey both of you cheerfully.

3. Develop reasonable, shared expectations of how your home should look/feel/run, and flexible routines to get you there.

If you can get those 3 areas under control, homeschooling is easier.

Enjoy!

I just wanted to agree and disagree :D I agree whole-heartedly w/#2 but once you're there, go ahead and practice "sitting still time", playing alone time (teaching them that they don't have to be entertained all the time), and "school" (google 1+1+1=1 blog).

Once mine drop their morning nap, they seem to have too much time on their hands and start getting into trouble. So, I started "school" (listening to a Bible story, memorizing scripture, coloring, ABC & 123 puzzles, etc) with them. It just progressed until my dd1 knew her alphabet and how to count to 20...so what now, do I stop teaching until she is 5? NO! I just kept going at her pace. I am doing the same w/dd2. I think I feel LESS pressure b/c I started early. If my dd1 was 5 and I was teaching her to read (for example), I would feel pressured to do it in 1 yr OR ELSE! Since I started at 2, we just took our time and moved at her pace. That is because I am type A and weird (I'm sure) but I'm just saying that starting "early" is not as bad as some make it out to be :) Whatever you and your wife think is best :)

As for scheduling, mine changes about 1-2x/month b/c dh's work schedule changes and ds's eating/sleeping schedule changes.

This forum attracts all kinds of people with all kinds of opinions. (gently) It is good to really consider if you want to hear all of the possible answers before you ask a question.

Yep, after awhile you will get to know who is who on here of the active members and know what to expect as a response, or at least not be surprised with some of the flyby snarks from those that don't like this, that, or the other topic, subject, or issue.