Menu

How much do you spend on your kids for b-days and Christmas

I just saw the other thread about what people are planning to buy for their kids for Christmas. It made it wonder how much people typically spend on each of their kids for birthdays and Christmas gifts.

We have two sons who are just turning 4 years old. We spend $50 each on them for their birthdays and $100 each for Christmas, although some gifts are shared between them.

I have read of other families who get each child one reasonably priced wished for gift and then maybe a book and piece of clothing and some fruit, or something like that.

How does it work at your house?

We usually spend about $50 for birthdays and then for Christmas it breaks down something like this...

$40 - big gift

$15-$20 - books

up to $10 on stocking stuffers

This isn't exact but it's close.

Grandparents usually buy them a $15 gift for Christmas and on their birthday.

Then we buy them a few gifts to share like puzzles, games, etc.

None of the rest of the family exchanges gifts (makes it so much easier. We leave thousands of miles from each other & shipping just eats it all up anyway).

Hubby & I usually just buy a "house" gift. One year it was a new range hood. Then we do stocking stuffers ($20) for each other.

I spend way too much!!

My kids are 10 and 13 so I usually buy them something expensive that they wanted that I saved for such an ocassion (i pod touch, ugg boots, trip to great wolf lodge).

When they were little I tried to do the same thing (American girl doll, dollhouse, etc).

I did buy my son a $50 book on mammals in Australia that he wanted (it was $89 at the museum!) for a birthday gift.

We spend from $50-$75 on a gift for birthdays, and then take birthday children who are under about 14yo out to lunch and a movie with 2 or 3 of their friends. We usually throw them a really big party at 16 or 18, whichever is more important to them. So far I've done one at 18 and two at 16.

We spend around $300 each on our kids at Christmas, give or take. We also now have soon-to-be daughter-in-laws that we buy for. We also buy for all our extended family (about 40 people), which I feel is ridiculous but nobody will listen to me. We have to lug all that stuff to Florida and lug a ton of stuff back here to NC. I get more and more aggravated every year.

We don't have a set amount. Some years it's more, some less, depending on what the kids want and what we're able to spend.

I also don't count to make sure that I spend exactly the same on each child and/or give them exactly the same number of gifts. I do try to make sure things are *roughly* equivalent, but I strive for *fair* not always-equal-at-the-same-time.

We do generally try for one larger or more central gift, and if there are smaller gifts, they support the central gift. At Christmas, kids might get a stocking of smallish things (some practical, everyday things; some small educational things; a few little luxuries), a main present from us, a book (or a few) and pajamas or some clothes. Again, not exactly the same from year to year, but similar. We try not to go for huge piles of stuff -- just things that will be well-loved or useful -- though as the only grandkids on both sides, they do end up with some piles, lol...

Some years, a gift has been more generous monetarily. If it was something we could afford and believed the children would get lots of use out of it, then that's lovely. Sometimes we've had less to spend. Sometimes what was truly going to delight the kids wasn't all that expensive. I wouldn't spend more just to reach some pre-set number.

But I do expect my children to display genuine gratitude whatever they receive.

I loved it when one year my husband took my kids trick-or-treating, and a neighbor met them at his door with a large basket of large veggies (carrots with the green leaves, whole broccoli stalks, etc), unwashed, but nicely arranged, and told the kids to go ahead and pick what they wanted! My son was a little confused, but said, "Thank you" and went to select a carrot. ;) The neighbor laughed and said, "Oh, wait, *that*'s not my Halloween basket!" and pulled out a different basket full of candies. ... I was just pleased that no matter what -- and even if he thought it was a little odd and disappointing -- my son was going to say "thank you" and know that there were enough other good things in his world to make up for one small hiccup...

This is interesting because I had wondered if we were being excessive, although we budget for it and save before the even happens.

In our family, we normally decide before Christmas whether we are going to draw names (for the adults). We always buy for all the kids, which isn't really too many normally. We seem to have had them spread out in our family, enough so that we are not having to buy for too many each year. It is always fun to get to buy for the littles anyway. I always enjoy that.

We don't ensure that we spend exactly $50 for birthdays and $100 for Christmas, however those are normally the numbers I am targeting. It may be less this year because I have not seen a lot of educational or pretend toys that are age appropriate this year. It is difficult because their birthdays come fairly close to Christmas (end of Sept and Nov), so it is sometimes challenging to find good educational toys that will fit them for the entire year. I usually end up getting things for Christmas that I know they will be more likely to play with when they are a bit older, like 6 months later.

We dont' have a set amount. Pretty much it is whatever they want at the timewe have had $30 Christmas' when all the older boys wanted were beyblades up to over $150. I do however keep the older boys equal. When they turn 13 we give $50 cash each year and at 16 we gave ds choice of computer or I-pod, he chose the I-pod. I don't know if it will be the same for the others, we'll see when the time comes.

Well I'm the cheapskate here. We've been getting the older kids each 1 big gift ($25) and then some smaller things. I adds up to about $50 each. The youngest had less spent on him, he was only 16 months old.

I'm sure as they get older their gifts might get more expensive and we'll spend more, but at 7 and 8 I found that limit to be more than sufficient.

I can't stand to spend more than $25 on one gift because they do still manage to destroy some toys. My daughter, for instance, has usually gotten a Princess dress as her big Christmas gift, and it's always torn up within a few months. It's not really that she's that rough on it, but it will snag on other toys on the floor as she walks past them (she doesn't see them of course), or beads will come loose, or she just wears them to the point that the velcro begins to peel, the hem frays, etc.

My son is always losing small pieces of his toys. I have learned to HATE Legos since this child began playing with them. He fails to see them at clean up time. I swear he lost less toys at 3 than he does now.

Grandma also gets the kids so much stuff that I wouldn't have any room to store everything if I spent anymore on them than that.

This year for birthdays we spent $45 on each of the bigger kids and $25 on the little one.

Edited by Dawn in OH

In the past, I have overspent. Lately, dh and I are trying to spend only what we have in cash. I have 7 children so that makes it difficult. We try to budget around $350 for Christmas, and if there is extra, that's great. That is about $50/child...which isn't a lot when you have older kids who want more expensive gifts. Sometimes, we allot more for the oldest few if they know they want something specific...like dd12 really wants the new iPod shuffle this year which is around $70. They get gifts from grandparents, so they are not suffering. :tongue_smilie: Dh and I rarely exchange...unless it's just a CD we both like or a new movie or book. Sometimes we will get a new boardgame for the family if there is extra.

As for bdays...we rarely spend more than $20 on gifts b/c relatives always send money and/or buy gifts.

Grandma has one grandchild -- thus, she spends a boatload on the kid (my son). She spends $150 on him for bdays. And $300 for Christmas. She also gets him toys, video games, clothing, music lessons, etc. She is awesome. Since she spoils him, I really don't have to spend so much for bdays and Christmas. What I do is set aside $50 for a special bday gift and $100 for a couple of Christmas gifts that Grandma has no idea that he likes. It makes him smile when I get him the "inside joke" or something he REALLY wanted for Christmas. But, we are very blessed to have grandma. I can't imagine how others spend for big families or lots of grandchildren.

EDITED: For bdays, when son was younger, I'd throw a homemade birthday party with a theme. It ran around $200 in supplies, food, and invites. On special milestones, we'd throw a bday party at Chuck E. Cheese (5th bday), & Disneyland (10th bday).

Now that he is a teenager, we have him invite one friend to celebrate his bday: Six Flags (12th bday), Walt Disney World (13th bday), and Main Event (14th bday).

Edited by tex-mex

We don't go by a dollar amount. We go by the biblical example.;) Jesus got 3 gifts so that what we give. 1 from Santa + 2 other gifts from us.

Some years that could be a lot of money if that's what we were able to afford and what they wanted. Other years it was nearly nothing because that's what we could afford or what they wanted. And yes some times they want really cheap stuff. One year a son only wanted a comic subscription. Another year one wanted to learn to sew.

We spend $100 for birthdays - this includes the party (of which I do all - including the cake) and the gift. As they get older (my son turned 15 this year) we allow them the choice of having a party or just taking the $100 cash. My son has had 3 friends over to spend the night and some cake for the last two years so that he could take the cash :)

Christmas is around $200 until age 9, then it becomes $300 - simply because the older they get the less you can buy with the money! They are allowed to choose one large gift, one medium, and two small gifts that they really want. Then the rest is spent on other things that we know they would like or hear them mention. We put the $300 cash in an envelope and when we go shopping, we pay for each child's gifts separately. The $300 doesn't include a gift each for them from their siblings and one big one from us (sometimes we do 3 small ones instead of one big one - one from me, one from my husband, and one from us together - just depends on the mood of that year :) )

We don't spend money on "stuff" all during the year. The children get an allowance and so they buy anything that they really want during the year by saving for it. Of course, we buy all of their clothes and shoes, etc. We also buy them "happy's" when they are sick or don't feel well. Occassionaly, we will buy them something "just because".

Anyway, we like to do quite a bit at Christmas - it's that time of the year that we DO splurge and get them things that they really want :)

The reason we only allow them to choose a few of their gifts is because we truly want to focus on the REAL reason for the season, Jesus' birth. That's the most important thing!

Usually $25-$30 per child, birthday and Christmas. Growing up, my parents spent a lot more b/c we didn't have extended family and that was the ONLY present we got. My kids have grandparents on both sides, and my siblings buy them presents too--and we have ENOUGH STUFF, lol.

We don't do Santa, and we usually do an Operation Christmas Child or similar for the holidays.

Betsy

I just saw the other thread about what people are planning to buy for their kids for Christmas. It made it wonder how much people typically spend on each of their kids for birthdays and Christmas gifts.

We have two sons who are just turning 4 years old. We spend $50 each on them for their birthdays and $100 each for Christmas, although some gifts are shared between them.

I have read of other families who get each child one reasonably priced wished for gift and then maybe a book and piece of clothing and some fruit, or something like that.

How does it work at your house?

We don't have a set amount. For birthdays we give something smallish, like a new book, and a homemade dinner and dessert of the child's choice, OR we take them and one friend out to eat at the restaurant of their choice.

For Christmas we spend about 200-300 total I guess (for all four kids total, not each)...we don't set a specific amount though so I am just guessing. Last year we got them a Wii and a few games, that was it.

We have a very small family (both set of gparents are dead) so we give ds a lot of gifts at Christmas (justifying I know!) because that's all the things he'll get. B'day it's usually a party of his choice (bowling, swimming, skating etc) and one gift. No set amount, just something he really wants.

I wanted to add that we don't measure the number of gifts for each child either. They get the same number from siblings and parents, of course, and those are wrapped and opened on Christmas Eve night - but the $300 is spent on the gifts that we leave out under the tree for Christmas morning - those are unwrapped. We do buy each of the children an ornament and pair of pajamas each year. The ornament is always related to something special going on in their life at the time. We've been doing this since birth. Dh and I give each other one, too!

Dh and I do buy for each other - usually around $200 each. We fill each other's stockings, too!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to buy and give gifts. I would rather buy for someone else than to get anything for myself. Just the joy of knowing that what I've picked out for someone is going to make them happy - I just can't describe it...haha

In the end, it really isn't the amount of money spent. It's about the thought that went behind it all.

Thankfully, my children have always been modest in their requests. We don't have television so they've never asked for something just because they saw it on tv - that's a blessing :)

I'm really in the Christmas mood already...this just makes it even more so!

We also do Operation Christmas Child and Angel Tree. We make all the gifts that we give to friends (well, the kids will sometimes buy their own friends a small gift), but like for the other families in our homeschool group that we are close to, elderly friends, the mailman, etc - we make those....homemade candy or something similar.

My kids have grandparents and great grandparents that buy for them, too. My side of the family draws names among the kids and grandkids (me, my sister, brother and their spouses and kids). We all buy for my parents and they buy for all of us.

My husband's side buys for everyone and we buy for them. We don't buy really expensive gifts, though. We do buy his mom something (his father and real mother have both passed, this is his father's wife that helped to raise him - they married when he was 6 - so she's his mom, too :) )

Another thing that helps us out is to save all year for Christmas and to buy all year. I don't normally buy much for the kids before August/September, but for the rest of the family I start early :)

Anyway, this is a fun thread...I would like to hear about other's Christmas traditions. What are things that you do each year that you'd never think of NOT doing?

4 kids - and now that they are teens it has gotten more expensive (I-Pods, cameras, jewelry, Mino...) for the main gift, then I fill in with less costly stuff like DVDs...which do add up if everyone gets a couple! It was easier when a few plastic toys in big boxes made a "wow" factor under the tree ;)

Hubby and I usually get each other one thing. or we agree to get ourselves a new computer monitor or dishwasher or somethign else we need/want as our "gift". Ok, I usually get him a few things, since his folks do not buy much for him and otherwise he'd have nothing to unwrap. My folks and sister do send me gifts or $$$ so I usually end up with far more to unwrap than hubby.

Edited by JFSinIL

We do not really have a set amount. But I estimate that we probably spend about $100 per kid on birthday......and probably about $400 - $500 between them for Christmas. It's hard to break up that amount per kid because they share quite a bit of gifts, and then have some of their own as well. Plus, we do a few gifts from Santa. And we do a "Jesus" gift when we have our birthday party for Jesus on Christmas night (they get a "christian" related gift).

It changes every year. Right now number of gifts is most important to them (and keeping it even) but I'm sure that will change. This year for our oldest it will be around $150 for her birthday and $300 for Christmas. She doesn't want much except for a Nintendo DS but that gift with a game or two will be $200. We will also get her some books, a couple of toys that I think she will like and an art kit or two. Our youngest will be around $100 for her birthday and around $200 for Christmas since the big gift she has been asking for (the mushroom playhouse on the magic cabin cover) was on sale on Amazon last week. This doesn't include stocking stuffers which I pick up as I see things throughout the year so that I don't have to scramble at Christmas.

We ony buy for our kids and immediate family (parents/siblings) plus for someone whose name we draw in the extended family which helps.

birthdays, no more than $250 - $300, usually no less than $100.

Christmas? :blushing: I try to keep it down but I have a few traditions that make it pricey. DH always takes off the week between Christmas and New Year. We all get a movie in our stocking, and a gift bag FULL of treats for the week. This year instead of baking tons of tins full of cookies, each kid will get a tin of their own. This way the girls will get their fair share of cookies. ;) I collect things for their treat bags from now until Christmas. They always get Lindts, puddings, candy, chips. etc. Yes, it's junk and it's the one time of year I don't mind. We watch at least one movie per day and have our bag of treats. :001_smile: I always buy matching something. Girls get a new pair of matching pj's, boys new sweat outfit to lounge around in, dh and I get matching pj's. We ALL spend many days in pj's this week. This year will be sad, oldest ds is working. Then they get individual gifts. I usually try to keep the dollar amount the same for all four kids.

I like to make gifts special on Christmas and birthdays because my kids ask for next to nothing and we don't do much extra spending on them during the year. I'm very frugal and hate wasteful spending. With some items, if they REALLY want them, they can use their own money. I like to go all out on these two occasions and don't feel guilty for it.

Christmas? :blushing: I try to keep it down but I have a few traditions that make it pricey. DH always takes off the week between Christmas and New Year. We all get a movie in our stocking, and a gift bag FULL of treats for the week. This year instead of baking tons of tins full of cookies, each kid will get a tin of their own. This way the girls will get their fair share of cookies. ;) I collect things for their treat bags from now until Christmas. They always get Lindts, puddings, candy, chips. etc. Yes, it's junk and it's the one time of year I don't mind.

I always buy matching something. Girls get a new pair of matching pj's, boys new sweat outfit to lounge around in, dh and I get matching pj's.

Your post made me smile... and reminded me of hubby's mom! She spoils us all with her traditions at Christmastime. You can count on a tin of cookies for everyone. Son's stocking is filled with candies and goodies. Pajamas for everyone. Socks, underwear, toothpaste, robes, etc. She makes sure everyone gets the basics -- I giggle over how many socks and undies hubby, son, and I get! I know... TMI. LOL

I don't have a set amount. I just try to pick out well thought out gifts I can reasonably afford at the time.

This about sums us up as well. We try to pick things up throughout the year when we see them. It helps spread out the cost (and we generally find things cheaper since we've given ourselves time to shop around), and it keeps us from having the mentality of having to get a gift.

My husband and I have only been married 5 years (as of February). We adopted our two sons and they have been home almost three years (as of January). I feel as if we are still trying to figure out what our traditions will be. This will only be the third Christmas with our sons and they don't really remember the first two that well. Benjamin just turned 4 years old at the end of September and Nicholas will turn 4 Nov 11 so they were too young to remember much the first two years.

One of our family traditions with my extended family is that the kids who are old enough to read always take turns reading the Bible scriptures of the birth of the baby Jesus. They keep track of whose turn it is and they always look forward to it. It is always exciting when another child is old enough to read the Christmas story from the Bible. It is a very special tradition in our family. We do it just before we open gifts, as a reminder of what we are celebrating.

I need to think more about the traditions my husband and I will have with our two sons. There have been some wonderful ones on this thread.

Birthdays are around $20 to $25. Christmas we try to keep to $100. There are some traditional presents that our girls always expect such as new PJ's on Christmas Eve, bath sets and such. We have 5 girls; two are no longer living at home but they're here for Christmas. They still want their PJ's.

Oh, except for the year they get the AG dolls, around 7 or 8 years - that year we spend more on them.

Janet

I forgot birthdays!

We do between $30 and $50 for birthdays.

Neither side of our family is around much (mine not at all), so if my kids don't get something from us - they usually don't get it at all.

We've been married 16 years and are still making traditions!

Now I'm odd because I don't feel too inclined to go all out at Christmas but EASTER - I love Easter! I could easy go nuts at Easter. At least twice in the past I spent way more than Christmas and birthday combined for Easter. My dh still makes fun of me for creating Easter baskets full of toys and books that our then 5 year old oldest could stand in. Oddly enough it was the last year dh let me shop for Easter without him. ;). lol

Your post made me smile... and reminded me of hubby's mom! She spoils us all with her traditions at Christmastime. You can count on a tin of cookies for everyone. Son's stocking is filled with candies and goodies. Pajamas for everyone. Socks, underwear, toothpaste, robes, etc. She makes sure everyone gets the basics -- I giggle over how many socks and undies hubby, son, and I get! I know... TMI. LOL

:001_smile:

I used to buy the annual supply of socks and underwear, too, but since the kids keep losing their socks and they need to be replenished regularly, I've decided that they all have to buy their own socks now. The girls will also buy their own underwear since those somehow are always lost, too. Now that the only relatives left are my brother and aunt (sister is filing bankruptcy) they will get less than $100 each, and I've made it clear that they will be buying socks and underwear with their own money.

It's the wasteful spending I was talking about. Younger ds painted on his shoes :001_huh: and he's been wanting a new pair for MONTHS. Now that they're falling apart I'm getting him some, but I've told him that these are expected to last through the end of the year. If not, I'll take him to withdraw money to buy his own. Sometimes he helps the damage along so they can be replaced. He was shocked that he didn't start out the school year with a new pair of shoes, but I wanted him to KNOW that I won't tolerate his doing this type of thing. I won't buy him hoodies anymore, either.

This about sums us up as well. We try to pick things up throughout the year when we see them. It helps spread out the cost (and we generally find things cheaper since we've given ourselves time to shop around), and it keeps us from having the mentality of having to get a gift.

you know, I used to do this ever since my head injury, I constantly forget WHERE I hid the stuff. I used to find stuff all through out the year. :glare:

Now I'm odd because I don't feel too inclined to go all out at Christmas but EASTER - I love Easter! I could easy go nuts at Easter. At least twice in the past I spent way more than Christmas and birthday combined for Easter. My dh still makes fun of me for creating Easter baskets full of toys and books that our then 5 year old oldest could stand in. Oddly enough it was the last year dh let me shop for Easter without him. ;). lol

While I don't go all out for Easter PRESENTS, I do like to make it a real special day. I remember the year I hid plastic eggs full of candy and trinkets in a path around one of our fields. I knew how many eggs I put out there but we couldn't find a TON if them! It was real cute to do nature walks and find candy that had been eaten with some remnants of paper left. I wish I could have recorded the animals opening the plastic eggs. :laugh:

My husband and I have only been married 5 years (as of February). We adopted our two sons and they have been home almost three years (as of January). I feel as if we are still trying to figure out what our traditions will be. This will only be the third Christmas with our sons and they don't really remember the first two that well. Benjamin just turned 4 years old at the end of September and Nicholas will turn 4 Nov 11 so they were too young to remember much the first two years.

One of our family traditions with my extended family is that the kids who are old enough to read always take turns reading the Bible scriptures of the birth of the baby Jesus. They keep track of whose turn it is and they always look forward to it. It is always exciting when another child is old enough to read the Christmas story from the Bible. It is a very special tradition in our family. We do it just before we open gifts, as a reminder of what we are celebrating.

I need to think more about the traditions my husband and I will have with our two sons. There have been some wonderful ones on this thread.

I love that! We sometimes leave baby Jesus out of our nativity set until Christmas Day. I like it best that way but the kids really hate not seeing Him there before then. We also make a cake to celebrate his birthday.

Your boys are still young. You'll expand on your traditions as they age. :001_smile:

For traditions, we have many! I love them - and many are carried on from my childhood or my husbands. I mentioned before that we give each of the kids a new ornament that pertains to something that's been going on in their life that year (soccer, ballet, favorite sports team, etc). Dh and I give each other one, too. When the kids are grown, they will be able to take their ornament collection with them to their new home. We also give each of the kids a new pair of pajamas. All of this is opened on Christmas Eve, along with the presents that we give each other (mom/dad to child, sibling to sibling, kids to parents, etc). Then we go outside and spread "reindeer food" that we've made on the driveway.

Christmas morning the children awake to their "Santa Claus" gifts under the tree. These are never wrapped, but are arranged in a "beautiful little set-up" as my dd said one time :) There is something about waking up and seeing all those gifts set up just for you, under a fully lit Christmas tree that is just magical. Santa also fills their stockings and mine and dh's, too! We make a big deal of each taking a turn to open our stockings and we all watch and ooh and ah over what each person has gotten.

Before Christmas, we practice Advent. We read a devotional each night, light the candles, and memorize a special Scripture. The final Advent story is read on Christmas morning. We also have an Advent calendar that we put out each year.

The tree goes up the week after Thanksgiving and we always go to the tree farm together to pick it out. We make a huge deal of going and walking around, riding the sleigh, etc and finding that one, perfect tree for our family. It's a lot of fun.

We always do the What is Christmas? set with my husband's mom (his dad and real mom have both passed, this is his step-mom - we hate that word - that helped to raise him, so she IS his mom). We do this when we go there for Christmas each year (the date changes each year to work for everyone). We also exchange gifts at this time with them.

We also spend a day at Christmas with my parents and family. We read the Christmas Story, eat WONDERFUL food, and open gifts.

Each night in the month of December, we watch a Christmas movie - anything from Charlie Brown and Rudolph to The Nativity Story, Christmas with the Kranks, etc. We have seen these movies countless times, but we still love them and laugh all the way through.

The kids and I make tons of Christmas goodies and take them to friends. We also leave a goody for the mailman, the garbage men, etc.

Christmas is my FAVORITE time of year. To me, traditions are so important - and they make the holidays special. I love all of our traditions and I would be so sad if we had to give even one up!

We don't really have a set amount. Generally for birthdays, we spend under $50. Then there have been years that we got something special and that was more than $50. It just all depends on the situation. We do always have a friend party for our kids or take them out to a more expensive thing with one friend - i.e. monster truck show when ds was 13.

Christmas - I buy all year around. It is hard for me to put a dollar amount on it. I just have no real idea except to say the things I buy all year around are not big ticket items, generally. This past year, I have looked at the clearance bit at Claire's store each time I am in the mall. I have picked up headbands, sunglasses, etc. all for under $3 each. For my younger ds, I have gotten him lots of odds and ends on clearance as well. When we get closer to Christmas, we will most likely buy our dd a bigger ticket item in the area of $100 or so. We won't do this for our younger ds because at 5 he simply doesn't want anything that expensive. Dd would like a camera, ipod, vanity, etc. So, all this jumble to say that I would guess that on average we spend $150 per kid on Christmas, but that really varies by age, year, budget, clearance found, etc. How is that for a clear answer?

We try to fit our presents into 'categories,' wrt Christmas, and then adjust the amount depending on our financial situation at the time. We get one fun toy, one more educational toy, a book, and a calendar, for each kid. The baby won't get a calendar until she's 2. :) If there's more cash flow, we get more books, or a bigger fun toy, or a group of related toys.

Birthdays vary wildly. We let them have "friend" parties every other year, so the year they're doing a big party, there are fewer gifts. Dd2 will have a huge amount spent on her birthday this year... because we're wrapping up her new convertible car seat as one of the presents.

I have 1 child. We typically spend around $200 or so for b-day and $300 or so for Christmas.

:) I have 4 and it has become around $200 for b-day and $300 for Christmas for my 8 and 9 yr old dd's, but they normally only get 1 thing. This year for b-day for 8 yr old it was a special edition nintendo ds and case with an extra ds game $200.

For Christmas, the girls are wanting an ipod shuffle and a netbook. That will be all they get besides stockings.

My boys will be 7 and 3 the month of Christmas so they have birthday/Christmas close together. I will probably buy one big thing each for b-day and they will probably get $100 worth of toys for Christmas.

I have found that it changes as they get older and ask for less things that cost more. You can get more for less money and spend $100 and it look like you bought every toy in the store when they are 3. Yet, when they are 9 and want game systems, ipods, and netbooks you spend more money and have less to show for it.

Emily, we do a lot of the same traditions that you do--Advent candles, pajamas, Christmas movies all week. WE make hot choc mix to give to all of our friends the week b4. We go to Christmas eve mass, then out to dinner to Olive Garden (we used to do the 7 fishes at MIL's house). For birthdays, my kids only get their party-that's their gift. For Christmas, I just buy whatever. In years past I hit the Target after Christmas sale and really stocked up. Now, their choices change too much throughout the year and I got tired of storing stuff. This year, I'm tired of the excess and warned them their gifts would be limited. We acquired 2 puppies recently, I told them this would mean a lot fewer gifts. I would like to get one big gift for everyone like a ping pong table and then a few smaller gifts, esp. educational ones. Laura

For birthdays, we spend around $100 for gifts and the party. They know if they want the Chuck E Cheese or skating party, they won't be getting many gifts.

For Christmas we shoot for $150-$175 each, but it really depends. I usually end up spending more on my oldest because he is into electronics and games. Also that amount includes any new winter clothes, shoes, and books that they want, not just a bunch of toys. I think I spent maybe $30 on my youngest last year because he was just a baby and (being the 4th boy in the house) didn't need anything. Still won't spend much on him this year for the same reason. We don't buy a whole lot for our boys throughout the year so I like to spoil them a little on Christmas.

We spend $50 each on birthdays and Christmas for my dh's two oldest boys, dil, and grandkids.