Menu

petite women--where do you buy clothes?

I've been doing the seasonal clothing sort and cleaning out closets. I've lost some weight and can't wear most of my pants any more, and my fall/winter shirts have seen better days because I rarely buy new clothes for myself. Where do other short women (I'm 5'2 and have a small frame) shop?

:lurk5: I feel your pain. I'm 5'2" and have recently lost weight as well. I have the hardest time finding pants that are long enough, but not too long. It seems like many petite pants are just right before you wash them, but shrink to the awful highwater pants length after. I have heard a rumor that Banana Republic sells 30" inseam pants, which is what I need. Actually, I recently purchased a pair of Gap "Long and Lean" (yes, ironic, I know). The length is perfect and they have the cute wider hem on the leg. Right now I have on a pair of Levi's 545 jeans in a short length. Those fit nicely. HTH a bit.

my very petite sister (5', and 90-95-ish pounds) gets almost all her clothing at Ann Taylor Loft or at Banana Republic because they have the 0 and 00 (gulp!:001_huh:) sizes that she wears in petite lengths and in young professional styles. I don't know if that's helpful to you, but it's all I got.:tongue_smilie:

I'm 5'2" as well and it's so much easier these days to find petite sizes...I shop at TJ Maxx, Marshall's a lot and they usually have a good selection in various brand names. I love Ann Taylor Loft's jeans...I also bought a pair of Lee Riders at Walmart and I love the way they fit.

I used to be itty-bitty. As the others have said Ann Taylor has a good selection of petites and so does Talbot Petite. But those were always over my budget for clothes.

Shopping the juniors sections in stores like Macy's always seemed a better bet for me. I could usually get sale items and they would fit my waist, however I almost always still had to get the pants hemmed.

I may have to give Old Navy another try. Their jeans tend to gap in the back on me--as do pretty much all low-waisted styles.

Same here. I'm 5-3 and wear a size 0, 2, or 4 depending on the brand. Gap jeans fit me much better than Old Navy. I love Anne Taylor Loft for tops, skirts, and dresses, but can't wear their pants. Too high. After 4 babies, I can only wear low-slung pants. After 7 kids, if I size big enough to button pants over my belly, even halfway up, the butt and hips are huge and ridiculous.

Barb

Old Navy is great as they have pants in short sizes (i.e. "2 short").

At 5'0", Old Navy pants, even the "short" are at least 6" too long for me.

(And, also, Dear Old Navy - Women are NOT shaped like egg cups or Jimmy Neutron characters. The end.)

Bass is my favorite for jeans, or the LL Bean outlet near me.

At 5'0", Old Navy pants, even the "short" are at least 6" too long for me.

(And, also, Dear Old Navy - Women are NOT shaped like egg cups or Jimmy Neutron characters. The end.)

Bass is my favorite for jeans, or the LL Bean outlet near me.

I have no idea what a Jimmy Neutron character is but the jeans fit me fine at 5'1. **shrug** As always, YMMV...

I am 5'1" and wear a 2 to 4, depending on where I get it. I really like Ann Taylor Loft. I also like New York & Co. Their pants usually come in three different lengths. The short length I can wear with flats, the average length I can wear with heels.

The Old Navy pants gap on my waist. I can't wear them.

my very petite sister (5', and 90-95-ish pounds) gets almost all her clothing at Ann Taylor Loft or at Banana Republic because they have the 0 and 00 (gulp!:001_huh:) sizes that she wears in petite lengths and in young professional styles. I don't know if that's helpful to you, but it's all I got.:tongue_smilie:

The problem I've had with Banana Republic and JCrew is that their "0" is not a true 0. I have to be constantly on the lookout for khakis because to find a true 0 is such a trick. I was so excited to see a great pair in BR, only to try them on and find a 0 was huge. I'm somewhere between 5'3" and 4" and about 105lbs. However, I'm super interested to hear they might carry 00. Definitely worth a try.

I'm so borderline on the petite sizes that the whole pants shopping drama is so annoying for me. :) I feel for you.

I went to Kohl's today, and they didn't have much under 4 even in petites. The 2Ps I tried on fit OK lengthwise but were cut so low that the zipper seemed like it was only an inch long. The ridiculously low rise is always my problem when I try to find anything in juniors. I don't want to show cleavage on my top OR bottom. :lol:

I'm petite, and have shopped at Ann Taylor's Loft, Talbot's Outlets in the past. I also would shop at Macy's end of winter sale in February, and got good deals in the petite section.

Recently, budget has been tighter, so I haven't done much shopping for clothes. Once in a while I find something at Marshall's or Ross in my size. Also size XS or 0 work for me at Gap and Old Navy (our local store doesn't carry petites, so I've had to hem the pants). This past summer, on a suggestion by a friend, I actually bought some tops and capris that were less than $5 each from the GIRL's section at OLD Navy. They fit just fine. :D

My biggest problem is with pants, particularly jeans. I'm just barely 5'3". I usually have too much material in the crotch area. (Can I say crotch? I don't know else to call it.) If the pants sit in the right place (I prefer mine on the hips than the waist) there's spare material hanging there.

I also hate shopping for clothes. I have no patience for it anymore. I used to love shopping.

I used to buy my clothes at Ann Taylor but I can no longer afford to do that now that we are a 1 income family.

I am 5'4" and about 135 (10 more lbs to go of baby weight...sigh). Anyway, I have good luck at Younkers (a Midwestern store with a Petites section), GAP, Target, JCPenney, and Macy's.

Sizing is all over the map, though, with all of them. Some places/brands I'm a small, others a large, some a size 4 (yippee!) and others an 8 or a 10. And I deplore trying on clothes. Blech.

Goodwill has also been a great place for me to shop--just scored some really nice winter shirts just the other day actually.

However, I must tell you I haven't bought jeans in ages so I have no idea what brands are good to buy anymore. I think one pair I own is even a hand-me-down from one of my sisters.

Good luck!

The ridiculously low rise is always my problem when I try to find anything in juniors. I don't want to show cleavage on my top OR bottom. :lol:

Yes! I can't stand it. Unfortunately, even women's dept parents are starting to carry mostly low rise. Even Ann Taylor, last time I went in there to try on jeans I asked the salesclerk if they had higher rise jeans, and he said they were switching over all there inventory to the lower rise style.:glare:

They have small sizes and offer pants in a "short." I LOVE their stuff. They are "proud" of it, but they always have a sale rack.

They are pricey but they actually fit me. If you want your closet to have a great pair of black and white or cream pants, they are the place to go. The lengths seem true and the sizes are actually small enough. They might be $100 pants but if the pairs I've had for a few years are any indication, you'll have them a while.

I love Ann Taylor Loft, but I don't like the prices. We have one here so it isn't too much trouble to pop in and check out the sale racks. So far, I've done pretty well there. Talbot's small sizes are still too big on me. I'm 4'11'', 100lbs. I agree with the others who suggested Old Navy. Also, see if you have a Kasper nearby or check online. They are great for dress clothes-no wash and wear, though. I haven't had much success with TJ Maxx, Ross, or Marshall's, even though my friends tell me they are always finding size 2's there. Clothes aren't the problem for me. It's my size 5 feet. Finding shoes is a nightmare!

Only 4'7" here.... weight. close to 100 ish depending how long ago I ate cheesecake without going to jazzercise. ;)

I buy stuff that lasts for a few decades and stopped caring about style. But alas.... I just had to buy some jeans a week ago. Went with Land's End because they had various inseams. still too long on the 2 x 26, but easy to fix that in the hem. well... I can walk the excess length off ;)

Then, I found out -- wow! Land's End will hem pants for you. The Land's End counter at local Sears store said yeah, we do that... we'll measure and place the order.

for tops...

had some luck at Kohl's petite section and clearance racks. Had some luck at Target too. But mostly I'll get shorter sleeves and just stopped caring that I look like an idiot in that the sleeves don't fall exactly right. given just how short I am (and petite too...), I look weird no matter what.

-crystal

I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet b/c I haven't read responses. I always shopped at a store called Petite Sophisticates in the mall.

I used to have a PS outlet close by and shopped there regularly, but to my chagrin they closed it and all the regular Petite Sophisticate stores in our state a couple of years ago. You can't buy anything online there either.

Guest Virginia Dawn
Thrift store!

This is where I get most of my clothes. The ones that seem to fit the best end up being from Talbots or Ann Taylor. I also end up with a lot of Karen Scott labelled clothing, I don't know who puts them out.

I buy all my pants and skirts at the thrift store. If they are too long, I just shorten them.