Menu

How many "liberals" out there??

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too! Progressive liberal in the only state that went all red in the recent presidential election.

Ooh Barbara, me too! I also live here in Oklahoma. I knew for a fact that you were talking about Oklahoma because it was the only state in the country that every county went "red" during the election.

I was talking to Astrid about this the other day. I used to think that I was conservative until I became a homeschooler in Oklahoma. ;) I am a way to the left liberal compared to virtually all of my family and friends.

I personally do not support abortion or homosexuality but I would love a person even if they chose to do these because I believe that it's not my place to judge.

Pretty much every other topic besides these two though I would consider myself pretty liberal.

I believe that a persons walk with Christ makes them a Christian, not the church they attend or how often the go. It doesn't matter to me if they are Baptist or Catholic or any other "religion." If we share the same basic foundation (i.e. salvation) then we're all "Christian"

I believe in helping others even if I have to give up of myself to do it. I believe that all people are created equal. It doesn't matter to me if they are black or white, rich or poor, liberal or conservative. People are people and should be cared for no matter who they are or what they have.

It's great to "meet" another left leaning Okie. :D I really believed that I was the only one. If these guys here on this board think that they're in the minority they should come to our neck of the woods huh? ;)

I call this the Republican capital of the world. I know there are a few of us liberal thinking people here but boy we sure are as scarce as hens teeth. ;)

Howdy Pardner. :D :seeya:

I'm a moderate. I left left on many social issues and lean right on a couple of other issues.

eta:

It's great to "meet" another left leaning Okie. :D I really believed that I was the only one. If these guys here on this board think that they're in the minority they should come to our neck of the woods huh? ;)

Ha! I'm from Oklahoma. :D

Social liberal, fiscal conservative here. Moderate in some other areas, such as immigration. I sometimes come across as fairly conservative up here in Vermont, at least on some issues, but I'd come across as a flaming liberal in other parts of the country.

These days, I find it easier to talk to liberals as many conservatives I know seem to have lost their heads.

Cammie,

You wrote, "[T]he kids have been exposed to both religions. We practice tolerance, compassion and understanding as well as respect for all backgrounds and faiths."

One of my kids was born to a Muslim family, then was in a Hindu orphanage before we adopted him. We were raised with protestant beliefs. Because of this, my kids have knowledge of eastern and western religions. We also believe in "tolerance, compassion and understanding as well as respect for all backgrounds and faiths."

Those beliefs aren't liberal or conservative. They're human.

The "government is responsible" part is the liberal part. ;-)

Lisa

We also believe in "tolerance, compassion and understanding as well as respect for all backgrounds and faiths."

Those beliefs aren't liberal or conservative. They're human.

Lisa, I wish I believed it was true but my experience says differently. People with my personal/religious beliefs would not be granted tolerance, understanding, or respect. We would be condemned to "hell" and judged as less worthy and certainly told we were "wrong." When I say respect for all backgrounds and faiths I mean leaving aside judgments regarding right or wrong on issues of personal faith. I truely believe that no person can be "wrong" for choosing to follow a certain religous path.

Perhaps conservative/liberal carries the wrong connotations given the current political climate. Some have self-identified as "progressive" and maybe that is a better term. Who I was looking for were those tree-hugging, pro-choice, Darwin believing, global warming believing, feminist homeschoolers that I know must exist someplace!

When I say respect for all backgrounds and faiths I mean leaving aside judgments regarding right or wrong on issues of personal faith.

And how! I would never dream of pressing my religious beliefs on someone or trying to persuade them to join my religion, but I get this treatment all the time from Christians. I am not anti-Christian, but I am anti-Christians-trying-to-convert-me. I have heard all the arguments about how Christians love me so much they just can't bear the thought of me going to hell, or how it's their religious duty to spread god's word, yada yada. Imo, if you tell me my religion is wrong and I should try yours, that's disrespectful, plain and simple.

ETA: I was once told "I know you think you're happy, but until you know Christ, your happiness is all a lie." :w00t: Seriously? Even if you think that, have the good manners to keep it to yourself!

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

I personally do not support abortion or homosexuality but I would love a person even if they chose to do these because I believe that it's not my place to judge.

Pretty much every other topic besides these two though I would consider myself pretty liberal.

I believe that a persons walk with Christ makes them a Christian, not the church they attend or how often the go. It doesn't matter to me if they are Baptist or Catholic or any other "religion." If we share the same basic foundation (i.e. salvation) then we're all "Christian"

I believe in helping others even if I have to give up of myself to do it. I believe that all people are created equal. It doesn't matter to me if they are black or white, rich or poor, liberal or conservative. People are people and should be cared for no matter who they are or what they have.

I don't think these things are unique to "liberal" or "left-leaning" persons. I'm pretty darn conservative (I seem to be one of the few that will admit to listening to Rush) but I agree 100% with the above bolded views. I wasn't aware that those were liberal/left.

On this board, I'd probably be considered "liberal", though I'm more like left-of-center. I have libertarian tendencies, except when it comes to health care. I feel like the government should stay out of (almost) everything else....just give us some decent choices of health care (doesn't have to be free, just affordable.) I'm the opposite of a couple of other posters on this thread, in that I tend to lean toward gun control, but I'm for the legalization of drugs (though I wish they'd been legal all along....I don't really want to be around if they ever decided to legalize them.:tongue_smilie:) BTW, I don't do drugs, (never have), I just feel like people should have the right to do whatever they want to themselves, as long as they aren't hurting or infringing on the rights of other people. I think that's the main problem I have with the republican party. They claim to be for less government, but they try to legislate morality, which doesn't make sense to me.

I could have written this post! Although, when I take The World's Shortest Political Quiz, I'm solidly Libertarian.

My vote is almost always for the individual and not for the party, but in the last presidential election it was clearly a party vote. I couldn't stand Obama or McCain, so I voted for Bob Barr. The thing is, had I thought he had a chance of winning, I wouldn't have voted for him, either! He's a weenie (I'm live in Georgia so I've seen what he actually does). This was an absolute party vote, vote against the main candidates, vote against the two party system....all of those things.

Some have self-identified as "progressive" and maybe that is a better term. Who I was looking for were those tree-hugging, pro-choice, Darwin believing, global warming believing, feminist homeschoolers that I know must exist someplace!

Hi Cammie, thank you for writing my description; however, you forgot Grateful Dead/grunge/NPR listening and organic coffee drinking.;) Monetary waste on both sides of the fence concerns me. Now for the stunner...I live in Portland.

Edited by swimmermom3
Forgot the obvious

Who I was looking for were those tree-hugging, pro-choice, Darwin believing, global warming believing, feminist homeschoolers that I know must exist someplace!

I'm here!

Liberalism has sure changed. It's funny how people spit it out like it's an insult sometimes :D

I think if people think back to their readings on liberalism - Locke & Hume & Adam Smith (who, yes is considered a liberal in political philosophy), they'd see a lot they like.

I think the major schism of liberals v. conservatives today is on the issue of extending privileges to the disadvantaged (& the role of the state in implementing those). Liberals also tend to be more concerned about minority rights and equal rights for women, homosexuals etc.

Worldwide, the economics of liberalism are a lot more grey as far as I can see. I have seen small L liberal gov'ts who are fiscally very conservative, and I've seen supposedly conservative administrations go on wild spending sprees (though to be 'fair' to the conservatives, they don't tend to spend on social programs but rather on the military, & any projects that funnel tax $ to their corporate buddies :tongue_smilie:).

Who is responsible for the tag? That is ridiculous petty nonsense. I hope the mods see it and deal with it.

Im a flaming liberal of the bleeding heart variety.

Just saw it. Makes me sad. Also kind of proves my point about whether certain groups of people can even let others talk about themselves without judging it.

Just saw it. Makes me sad. Also kind of proves my point about whether certain groups of people can even let others talk about themselves without judging it.

I see you're kind of new here. Actually, ridiculous tags are put on all sorts of posts -- conservative, liberal and ones that have nothing to do with politics at all.

Who I was looking for were those tree-hugging, pro-choice, Darwin believing, global warming believing, feminist homeschoolers that I know must exist someplace!
Check. Though if by acknowledging my beliefs someone feels I'm bashing theirs, well let me say that I just wish we has a "mooning" smiley. How's that for elevated discourse? :tongue_smilie:

I'm not really on the spectrum in the US. Perhaps floating somewhere above it? Or in another dimension?

Edited by nmoira

Liberals also tend to be more concerned about minority rights and equal rights for women, homosexuals etc.

I respectfully disagree. "Caring" is not a liberal-vs-conservative issue.

The difference (as I see it) is that conservatives don't believe that it's the federal or state government's job to deal with societal issues. We tend to put responsibility for helping others on the individual and on local organizations, not on the federal government.

Lisa

It is clear there is a large number of conservative homeschoolers here. I was just wondering how many of us identify as liberals?

I We practice tolerance, compassion and understanding as well as respect for all backgrounds and faiths. I personally believe it is the governments responsibility to make sure that the benefits of the society are available to all the citizens - whether they are "productive members of society" or not!

Anyone else out there??

[And please note - not looking to debate if I am right or wrong - just looking for like minded folks - thanks!]

Well, I definitely fit your description, as well as anti-war, pro-life, anti-death penalty, smaller better than bigger government, welcoming all immigrants, ...

hmm, what am I?????:lol:

Kim

I'm a moderate. I left left on many social issues and lean right on a couple of other issues.

eta:

Ha! I'm from Oklahoma. :D

Howdy Mrs. Mungo. :seeya: great to meet yet another Okie. From reading your posts I believe that you don't live here anymore, right?

I wouldn't recommend coming back. It is still very conservative here. ;)

Perhaps conservative/liberal carries the wrong connotations given the current political climate. Some have self-identified as "progressive" and maybe that is a better term. Who I was looking for were those tree-hugging, pro-choice, Darwin believing, global warming believing, feminist homeschoolers that I know must exist someplace!

:) Well, let's see:

tree-hugging and global warming believing----yep, probably qualify for that one. We are actively involved in working for sustainable agriculture, reducing our carbon footprint, etc. We recycle, hang out our clothes if possible, compost, belong to a CSA, have started our garden, try to buy organic/low input/recycled/etc, buy used if possible and feasible. Given that we are Neopagan (but not "anti-Christian"), most folks automatically assume we are "tree-hugging" anyway ;), but we are in an urban sort of way :). We do eat meat, drive cars, will never be "farmers able to live off the land," etc, but we try to do things as responsibly as we can within our situation.

pro-choice---yep, however I believe that abortion is always a tragedy and support working to decrease the reasons behind it as much as humanly possible (working to reduce poverty, support women's rights globally, availability and affordability of accurate and affordable health information and health care including contraceptives, teaching delaying sexual activity--even with responsible use of birth control and "safe sex" practices--until one is in a position to support and take responsibility for any and all consequences, etc).

Darwin-believing---if that means that I believe that evolution is the most reasonable explanation based on available information, then yes

feminist---yes in terms of women should have equal rights and receive equal pay for equal work, that women are as fully capable human beings as men, and should be able to pursue whatever career they desire and for which they are suited. No, in terms of what I see too often passed off as "feminism"-- considering women *superior* to men simply because they have two X chromosones, blaming men for every possible thing considered wrong now and in history, believing that there was a utopian Neolithic society in which everyone was peaceful solely because they were matriarchal and that we should strive to return to that (evidence doesn't seem to bear that out), that religion worshiping a singular female-identified deity would be automatically superior to one worshiping a single male-identified deity, that "everything would be all right if women were only in charge". To me those things are simply female chauvinism and no better or more productive than the male chauvinism they denigrate.

I'm also pro-marriage for all, but I believe that said marriages should be lifelong and monogamous. We formula-fed (though I tried to breastfeed, wasn't physically possible), used disposable diapers, used a crib from almost the beginning, did not do natural childbirth or birth at home (not that either was a medically responsible option in our case), left the child with babysitters on a semi-regular basis (mostly grandparents), and she went to preschool. We have and will only have one child and took permanent steps to keep it that way. Would have liked one more, but that would have been it, had it been possible.

So, in most of the "liberal" circles in which I am involved, I'm seen as pretty traditional and conservative, while in the "conservative" circles in which I am involved, I'm an edgy "liberal" :D.

Indeed we do. I have the good fortune of knowing a grand total of ONE other in real life. But we exist. We're less like the Loch Ness, and more like the elusive giant squid.

I don't think these things are unique to "liberal" or "left-leaning" persons. I'm pretty darn conservative (I seem to be one of the few that will admit to listening to Rush) but I agree 100% with the above bolded views. I wasn't aware that those were liberal/left.

:iagree: And yes, I'll admit to listening to Rush, Hannity and Glenn Beck. :lol: (ducking for cover and running!!)

You know, the sad part of all of this is that I don't really fit in anywhere with my local homeschoolers. The conservative religious group thinks I'm a liberal. And in my inclusive group, I'm the right wing wacko. sigh. I don't belong anywhere, I think. :confused:

I'm seriously not here to break up the liberal party, and I am not liberal, but it's funny how our perspectives are different, because I always feel like there are more liberals than conservatives on this board.

I feel I am the minority here.

:iagree: Ditto that!

-Robin

Dawn and Robin,

I see how you could feel that way depending on how far right on the conservative scale you stand. On the other hand, I almost left this board after the first two weeks here. I felt out of place and unwelcome because I did not hold certain beliefs. I am glad I stayed as I have greatly benefited from the diversity of opinions and experience. Now, I tend to think less in terms of "liberal" vs. "conservative" and more in terms of individual personalities. For example, I may know that a particular poster is very conservative. I may also know that they are thoughtful, articulate, intelligent posters. I definitely want to hear what they have to say. If someone is throwing darts because they feel threatened, I'm not interested regardless of what side of the fence they sit on.

When it comes to homeschooling advice and you have an idea or curriculum that might solve my problem, I'm :bigear: regardless of who you voted for in the last election.

Well, yeah, that's me! I'm up in MA where I am not alone... :D Lots of us here!

When I say respect for all backgrounds and faiths I mean leaving aside judgments regarding right or wrong on issues of personal faith. I truely believe that no person can be "wrong" for choosing to follow a certain religous path.

I agree with your sentiments here. I liken religion and spirituality to a climb up a giant mountain - we all pick different trail guides to help us out, and some of us go solo. We all, though, are striving to make our way up and if we just stopped and helped one another out when needed (lend a drink of water, share some food, hang out at each other's campfire for the evening), we'd all be better off for it.

We are tree-hugging as best as we can be (working on successfully growing our own food, cloth diapered, recycle, want solar panels on the house within 5 years, etc.), but my very best friends who are probably more conservative than I (politically and religiously) have many of the same goals. We are pro-choice, but like a previous poster put, I long for ways to help prevent unwanted pregnancies in the first place. We are Darwin believing (again like my more conservative best friends), but I do not believe that Darwin is the ultimate truth to the matter, but rather just the best of what's available right now. And I personally am a feminist in that I believe that as a female, I am of just as equal worth and value as my husband and should be treated accordingly. Also as a feminist, I embrace the differences between my husband and I based on gender and realize that those differences make us who we are, but those differences should never be the basis for differential treatment (politically, economically, religiously, etc.). More than a feminist, I am in support of all humans regardless of gender, sexuality, religion, etc. having full and complete human worth and equality, which also means to me full right to marriage. I forgot to add in my first post that I am fiscally conservative, which does at times put me at odds with the overall Democrat platform, but I tend to go with the party/person who has the most points in his/her favor. ;)

I am definitely left of center. Too many of my friends I am way out there in left field but I always tell them I consider myself a Conservative. I believe in conserving the constitution, the environment, etc....
That, to me, is true conservatism. ;) I too wish for the Constitution to be conserved, and our world and its resources to be conserved. :)

The very liberals here in the Portland area see me as a bit on the conservative side, but the conservatives out in Yamhill county see as rather liberal. I really don't fit in with either group and yet parts of my beliefs fit in with both groups. I will not ever follow a certain party's lines because there are many issues in each that I tend to disagree with.

Oh and when I lived in the mid-west, they really thought I was off the rocker left because of my work on a neighborhood recycling program and natural living in general.

Maybe I'd be a bit left of center?

I think you will find that despite major differences (Evolution, Global Warming, Abortion, Healthcare, Gay Rights etc.) we do have some things in common. :) They are not unique to liberals, thank goodness!

I'm seriously not here to break up the liberal party, and I am not liberal, but it's funny how our perspectives are different, because I always feel like there are more liberals than conservatives on this board.

I feel I am the minority here.

Maybe because you are more conservative than most people here? You very well may be in the minority here! There is no exact line on what differentiates a liberal from a conservative but it is a spectrum. Someone earlier in the thread admitted to being liberal and I am so much more liberal than them, I was tempted to say they were conservative :tongue_smilie: And there are so many more who are waaay more liberal than I. :)

There have been a few polls here, and I linked to one of them earlier but consistently in polls here, there are more conservative/repubs on this board than liberals but there are quite a few of us here. I would say no one person is alone in their political beliefs on this board - we are so diverse!

:

You know, the sad part of all of this is that I don't really fit in anywhere with my local homeschoolers. The conservative religious group thinks I'm a liberal. And in my inclusive group, I'm the right wing wacko. sigh. I don't belong anywhere, I think. :confused:

I can relate to this!

I'm a libertarian-leaning independent. My views on several social issues align more closely with those of liberals than conservatives, but I'm not a liberal.

When I say respect for all backgrounds and faiths I mean leaving aside judgments regarding right or wrong on issues of personal faith. I truely believe that no person can be "wrong" for choosing to follow a certain religous path.

I see a value judgment of what is right and what is wrong in that statement.

ETA: I apologize for hijacking the thread. I would delete this post, but it's already been quoted.

Edited by WordGirl