Menu

How many "liberals" out there??

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laura, I like your reason for editing. I never saw your original post, but I've been biting my tongue on this branch of our little liberal, self-identify thread too. I keep checking back to see if those two have made any progress in their great debate, but they have not.

Edited by Karen in CO
btw - Laura, Air Force or Navy?

Well - I live in Santa Cruz, CA and I am not a hippy. :D So, in the context of where I live, I am a more conservative liberal than a lot of people who live here. We do have a garden, buy organic, eat tofu :D, on those political spectrum quizzes, I come up Green Party, our landscape is full of drought tolerant (and deer tolerant) plants, we recycle, etc. But, I drive a car - a lot. I don't dress in hippy clothes (though I have friends who do :D) and I don't think Dennis Kucinich would make a good President. :D

Laura, I like your reason for editing. I never saw your original post, but I've been biting my tongue on this branch of our little liberal, self-identify thread too. I keep checking back to see if those two have made any progress in their great debate, but they have not.

Karen- my dh is a Marine. I really know better than to even visit this board. ;)

No, it doesn't mean they are more patriotic than the next guy. What it means is that they recognize that the people serving in the military are not just pieces of meat, cannon fodder or players on a chess board. It is a way of showing respect and gratitude to those service members who's lives and profession we are so willing to debate as if it were just another intellectual exercise rather than something far more real and human. Is it not enough that they are willing to sacrifice their lives for our country but they must do it in the manner proscribed by a bunch of civilian armchair generals?

And yes, there is no better ending for such a post than to reference their sacrifice. That is where their service begins and ends.

But the people I see fighting most vociferously FOR a lift ARE military? And they're well decorated and then kicked out because they wouldn't keep their mouth shut about who they were. So I'm kind of wondering who the armchair generals are?

And forgive my ignorance, but how does wanting freedom for gay soldiers to serve-who WANT to serve-equate to them being seen as cannon fodder?

Edited by justamouse

Well......WE ARE AT WAR and in poll after poll United States servicemen have stated that they do NOT want the ban repealed.

Indeed (recent Military Times poll), some 10% say they would not reenlist and 14% say they would consider not reenlisting. This does not mean that the rest support lifting the ban (as they do not... see the scores of poll numbers) but that they would just live with it.

As it appears that you have not served on a submarine, a Navy Ship, in a foxhole, in a missile silo, shared a tent with another soldier etc (as many of my friends have done) I suppose you don't give a **** but those who do live in those conditions certainly do give a **** and they have said resoundingly NO.

So to answer your question the majority of the servicemen currently fighting a war do give a ****. Those of us who live behind the shield that they provide, who sleep safe because of the sacrifice that our military makes should perhaps just leave this issue alone, especially in time of war. Lets not make our servicemen's lives any more complicated.

GOD BLESS our Servicemen.

Wow, I guess I wouldn't expect to see that as a way someone is Liberal, how *else* are you Liberal?

:)

Gay men and women are fighting and dying for this nation every day of the week. What they aren't allowed to do is share the fact that they are gay with their fellow servicemen and women. I'd call that discrimination. If the military doesn't want to give gays their freedoms then it should stop taking their lives.

If a person gay or straight does not have the ability to restrain themselves/act appropriately (for lack of a better term) when they are attracted to another person then they do not have the discipline needed to serve. To assume that only gay people lack this ability is discriminatory in my mind. People have the right to be attracted to whomever they want. They do not have the right to act on that attraction against the will of others.

I am sorry this thread got hijacked by the miliary debate. As most of us know, supporting our military, wanting them to come home safe, and wanting their families to be taken care of is not a liberal/conservative issue.

Thanks to all of you who identified yourselves! I will be looking for you out there in the forums!