Menu

Do you think Barack Obama should have commented?

I'm referring to the Harvard Professor who was arrested by the police for disorderly conduct (for suspicion of breaking into his own house).

My personal experience-I was about 19 years old and learning to drive a stick shift. It was in a very nice town in Connecticut. The downtown street went for about 2 miles and there were police officers directing traffic/pedestrians at different intervals.

I pop the clutch and hit the gas, the tires rev and make a ton of noise. I'm not sure the car even moved.

I was nearly arrested and given a ticket for "disturbing the peace" despite telling the cop I was learning to drive a stick shift. He started screaming at me, I was soon surrounded by 5 cop cars. You would have thought I had just robbed a bank for what they carried on. I was furious!!! I think I was pretty close to being arrested.

I wrote down the cops name and badge number, disputed the ticket and went to court. The judge read the file and threw it out before I even opened my mouth. I was so mad I demanded that the judge listen to me and have it on record how unfairly I had been treated.

Where was the President then??

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote down the cops name and badge number, disputed the ticket and went to court. The judge read the file and threw it out before I even opened my mouth. I was so mad I demanded that the judge listen to me and have it on record how unfairly I had been treated.

How did that turn out?

Absolutely NOT.

I was pulled over by a cop when I was 19 - I was 8 mos pregnant and got in the wrong lane to turn in a new neighborhood. We had JUST moved there and it was a busy street. The cop was an a$$ and when I explained being new to the area to him (and being obviously pregnant and married...not out drunk or messing around), his words were "TELL IT TO THE JUDGE." He was the biggest a$$hole cop EVER. The rest have either been nice enough or right enough for it not to matter. But this one guy. UGH! I still get a little hot thinking about it!

Edited by Tree House Academy

I hate to get involved with political threads. But, this one bothers me.

No, he should not have said the police acted stupidly over an issue with a friend of his. Even if they did act in a stupid manner (and of course, I was not present and cannot give eye witness testimony, just like the Pres.), he should not have said it. If he felt the need to comment, he should have said something else. Perhaps something like he was troubled, or disturbed, by the event and planned to investigate it. Like it or not, he is a public figure and must be aware of what impact his remarks will have. Or perhaps he is aware and wants to cause more of stir.

I find it odd that no one is asking if the gentleman arrested acted stupidly. Was it stupid to behave in the manner he did? Again, I don't know. But no one is even questioning his words or actions. Seems a bit one sided. Something went wrong. Obviously. But what? Why?

I hate to get involved with political threads. But, this one bothers me.

No, he should not have said the police acted stupidly over an issue with a friend of his. Even if they did act in a stupid manner (and of course, I was not present and cannot give eye witness testimony, just like the Pres.), he should not have said it. If he felt the need to comment, he should have said something else. Perhaps something like he was troubled, or disturbed, by the event and planned to investigate it. Like it or not, he is a public figure and must be aware of what impact his remarks will have. Or perhaps he is aware and wants to cause more of stir.

I find it odd that no one is asking if the gentleman arrested acted stupidly. Was it stupid to behave in the manner he did? Again, I don't know. But no one is even questioning his words or actions. Seems a bit one sided. Something went wrong. Obviously. But what? Why?

I was actually reading an article in the NY Times (which got me thinking about this) and there were people who said he should have basically kept his mouth shut. But having a personal experience where I know I broke no law, I can imagine being in a similar situation and being extremely upset.

Did you know the professor was in his own home when the cop came to the door?

I was actually reading an article in the NY Times (which got me thinking about this) and there were people who said he should have basically kept his mouth shut. But having a personal experience where I know I broke no law, I can imagine being in a similar situation and being extremely upset.

Did you know the professor was in his own home when the cop came to the door?

Yes, he was. But the policeman also had a call that someone was breaking into the home. And when they get a call, they take it seriously. They need to check out the home to make sure there is no one making you say that you are okay. And while it would be an annoyance, I'd rather they check my home thoroughly than miss an intruder.

I would not argue with a policeman who was trying to do his job. If I had a complaint over his handling of the situation, I would go to the police station and file it.

Oh, and to answer your original question: No. He shouldn't have commented. He should have said he didn't know all the facts and stopped there.

Classic example of "bully pulpit" for President Obama to shoot off about the incident.

Is anybody interviewing the citizen/neighbor who reported what looked to her like a home invasion ?

Perhaps Dr. Gates considers himself famous to the extent that everybody should recognize him at once ? I gather that he is a highly respected, capable scholar in whatever is his field. Before this incident, though, I never had heard of him. (Probably because he is in some field with which I have had no dealings.) I would not have seen him and immediately assumed that I should, as a policeman, do anything other than follow standard procedures.

Everything that I read about the officer, and about his professional background, convinces me that race played NO part in what occurred.

"Stupid" is a banned word in our home. So, personally, his use of that adjective struck me almost as if he had used an obscene word.

I believe it was inappropriate for him to comment on the situation, especially in the context of a press conference for health care reform. Seemed strangely like a diversionary tactic....

I don't necessarily think race played a part. I think mistakes were made on both sides. When I had my incident, I am white, the cop was white. The cop was just an idiot.

Our President should be so busy with other things that he has no time to comment on things like this.

Classic example of "bully pulpit" for President Obama to shoot off about the incident.

Is anybody interviewing the citizen/neighbor who reported what looked to her like a home invasion ?

Perhaps Dr. Gates considers himself famous to the extent that everybody should recognize him at once ? I gather that he is a highly respected, capable scholar in whatever is his field. Before this incident, though, I never had heard of him. (Probably because he is in some field with which I have had no dealings.) I would not have seen him and immediately assumed that I should, as a policeman, do anything other than follow standard procedures.

Everything that I read about the officer, and about his professional background, convinces me that race played NO part in what occurred.

However, this *was* Cambridge/Harvard which is only so big.

Yes, he was. But the policeman also had a call that someone was breaking into the home. And when they get a call, they take it seriously. They need to check out the home to make sure there is no one making you say that you are okay. And while it would be an annoyance, I'd rather they check my home thoroughly than miss an intruder.

I would not argue with a policeman who was trying to do his job. If I had a complaint over his handling of the situation, I would go to the police station and file it.

Oh, and to answer your original question: No. He shouldn't have commented. He should have said he didn't know all the facts and stopped there.

:iagree: And yes, he should have kept his comments to himself until he knew the facts of the incident. Everyone has talked about the police in the case, but what role did the prof. play in his arrest?

Okay, I'm jumping back in to answer the question I was asked. Yes, I did know the professor was in his own home. I also the know the police were responding to a break in to said home. All he had to do was provide ID.

Many years ago a friend locked herself out of the house. She got in the house by climbing through the bathroom window. Quite amusing story actually, she fell in the tub. But, the neighbor saw someone breaking into the home and called the police. My gf, by the time the police arrived, was well in the house and had opened the front door in preparation for bringing in the groceries. Police come in the slightly opened door yelling "Police!". Scared her witless! But all she had to do was provide her ID (drivers license in her case). She said they were very frightening, guns drawn - the whole bit. But, she politely answered all their questions and resolved the problem. Quick, easy, done.

Exactly! The president was not privy to all that had gone on, and should have refrained from comment.

My sympathies are with the police officer on this situation. Put yourself in his shoes, based on what's been published in the news. Officer responded to a neighbor phoning in that 2 people were breaking into the neighbors house. Officer arrives at house and finds the door is damaged. He enters the house and finds 1, not 2, people. That scenario could play out innocently, or a 2nd person could be holding a gun on the person the officer is addressing, or pointing a gun at the officer, or a hostage, etc. Officer asks the person to step outside & for ID. Person flies off the handle, accusing the officer of being a racist, follows the officer onto the porch, continues to verbally abuse the officer, and insult the officer's mother. I don't blame the officer one bit for making this arrest.

I am so sick of the "race card." The truth is had the parties been all white or all black or all green we would never have heard about it (maybe in Cambridge/Harvard but certainly not across the US).

One point that y'all might want to factor in...

The cops interviewed said that standard operating procedure would have been to ask the homeowner to step outside or prevent the homeowner from entering if a break in had been reported, for the purpose of keeping the homeowner safe from any evildoers who may have entered the house before he came in on them. So even when they *knew* he was the homeowner, they were protecting him by asking him to come outside. It had nothing to do with racial profiling.

But, we're not talkin' about health care today, are we? Diversion successful.

I am so sick of the "race card."
Your perception might be different if you had to live it. About a third of the households on my block are owned by African Americans. Without exception, the white males have never been randomly pulled over while driving, while most of the black males get randomly pulled over at least a couple times a year.

So even when they *knew* he was the homeowner, they were protecting him by asking him to come outside. It had nothing to do with racial profiling.
"Sir, we have a report that there may have been a break in earlier. Would you like us to verify that there are no intruders currently inside your house?" Just a few extra words makes a big difference... assuming this was actually the intent of the officers of course.

Looking at it from another direction - can you imagine the uproar if someone HAD been breaking into the home and the cop just said, "Oh, ok, you're the homeowner" and left? If someone was in the home holding a gun on the homeowner and the cop just smiled and said, "Have a good day" and left? That would have been stupid. The procedures are in place for a reason whether anyone likes them or not and verbally attacking the police officer for doing his job doesn't help anyone.

I think it speaks volumes about the officer that the police dept. as a whole is standing behind him. He doesn't have any record of questionable behavior to undermine his actions and all of those in positions of authority in the city seem to be backing him up. Good for them.

Your perception might be different if you had to live it. About a third of the households on my block are owned by African Americans. Without exception, the white males have never been randomly pulled over while driving, while most of the black males get randomly pulled over at least a couple times a year.

But that is not what happened here and yet the race card is being played.

:iagree:

I think people might take it differently if it wasn't "played" so often. The fact that we call it a race card and discuss about when to "play" it speaks for itself. We don't take it seriously anymore. The boy called wolf.

Nmoira (I hope I spelled that right), by randomly pulled over, what do you mean. The police had no reason, they just turned on their lights and pulled them over? Isn't that illegal? I thought they HAD to have just cause.

I'm not going to defend Gates in the instance... I'm talking about your more general sentiment of being "sick of the race card."

I'm not going to defend Gates in the instance... I'm talking about your more general sentiment of being "sick of the race card."

Well as it is obviously overused I am sick of it, totally and completely sick of it.

Were it used only when it was appropriate I probably would feel differently.

Simply because there is conflict between people of different races does NOT mean that racism is involved. To constantly play the race card denigrates the damage done when the cause of a conflict IS racially motivated.

Edited by pqr

I am so sick of the "race card." The truth is had the parties been all white or all black or all green we would never have heard about it (maybe in Cambridge/Harvard but certainly not across the US).

:iagree:

I also thought his use of the word "stupid" was odd and inappropriate.

The fact that this was an acquaintance was even more reason for him to not abuse his position of authority for personal reasons.

"Sir, we have a report that there may have been a break in earlier. Would you like us to verify that there are no intruders currently inside your house?" Just a few extra words makes a big difference... assuming this was actually the intent of the officers of course.

The police officer, however, at the point he asked Mr. Gates to step outside had no idea if this was the owner of the house or the person breaking in. I heard his press conference this afternoon and he stated that the report indicated that there may have been two people breaking into the house. Either way, he was trying to get either "the owner" or "one of the criminals" out of the house for both safety and to get control of the situation.

It would also have made a big difference if Mr. Gates had just calmly stepped outside instead of replying in an angry manner.:)

Well as it is obviously overused I am sick of it, totally and completely sick of it.

Were it used only when it was appropriate I probably would feel differently.

Simply because there is conflict between people of different races does NOT mean that racism is involved. To constantly play the race card denigrates the damage done when the cause of a conflict IS racially motivated.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

What I find almost as disturbing as the President commenting on this is that the President obviously misinterpreted the reason for arrest. He made it seem that, it was obviously Gate's house, why arrest a man in his own home? He was arrested for disorderly conduct after continuing to berate and insult an officer doing his job. Not being able to delineate facts and see through his own preconceived notions is troubling to me. If he can't get the facts straight in a situation like this, how about a complex issue like health care?

I can't help getting my panties in a bunch over this one. One talk show hose talked of Gates being "accosted" in his own home. Are we forgetting that this officer, by all accounts a calm, thoughtful man (he teaches racial profiling classes), was responding to a call of possible break in - in a house that had just previously been broken into? When a similar incident happened to me, I was thankful that (a) a neighbor was looking out for my house; and (b) a cop was investigating and protecting my property. As irritated as he may have been after a long flight, simple cooperation, showing ID, and biting your lip would have ended it quickly. It was Gates who could not keep his Harvard mouth shut and insulted the officer repeatedly. And the officer acted "stupidly"?

This is an insult to our law enforcement. How sad.

Lisa

This is not standard procedure and is dangerous. Someone could be holding a gun to your head when this question is asked or in another spot with a hostage. The officer is trained to get you out of your home and out of whatever perceived trouble there could be in the home, real or not. You step out of your house and let them search. You don't argue about it. I had this happen and the first words out of the officer's mouth was "Step outside and wait near my car and stay there"

Honestly if they thought he was a criminal, they would have thrown him to the floor and handcuffed him. Instead, they did what they were trained to do. Get him out of the way and some where they don't have to worry about while they figure out what is happening. Had that happened, yea, it would have been racist. Instead, he was treated as many of us are when in that situation.

I can't recall which issue it was, but a few months back, there was an incident and the world waited for Obama's official comment. He was slow to make a statement and when a reporter asked about why he hadn't expressed any outrage, Obama's response was that he didn't have all the facts and that he would be foolish to respond before he knew the details.

Obama seems very collected and calculating. This comment was no mistake. It was a distraction- Health care fight is on the back burner now.

The newspaper article I read stated that when asked for I.D., Gates handed them his Harvard I.D. which did not have his address on it. I would imagine (the article did not mention this specifically) that the police officer kept asking for I.D. because he needed to have proof that he was indeed the homeowner. If he had calmly handed them a driver's license or other I.D. with an address there would not have been an issue.

I can't recall which issue it was, but a few months back, there was an incident and the world waited for Obama's official comment. He was slow to make a statement and when a reporter asked about why he hadn't expressed any outrage, Obama's response was that he didn't have all the facts and that he would be foolish to respond before he knew the details.

Obama seems very collected and calculating. This comment was no mistake. It was a distraction- Health care fight is on the back burner now.

I believe it was the Iranian presidential election fiasco. I was indignant that he did not stand strongly against what was going on!! It was just a blood bath over there and he didn't berate the leader for doing that do his own people. :( If ever there was a time for him to stand, that was it. I felt so ashamed when our country has always stood against that kind of nonsense.

I actually don't think President Obama should have used the word "stupidly." He's a well educated man with a vast vocabulary, and I'm certain he could have done better than that. He probably should have reserved all comment, but at the very least, he should have commented more appropriately, in my opinion. I'm a big old Obama fan, but I can admit all day long that it was an unfortunate move.

As far as Mr. Gates' situation, I'm still frustrated and I don't understand it.

The way I'm reading it, Mr. Gates provided identification showing who he was and that he was indeed in his own residence. So what if he griped to the cops and called them racists. So what if he used expletives. So what! He was in his own home, he wasn't physically violent. I just think that yelling is not a crime. I yell in my house all the time. I'm not proud of it. They aren't my post shining moments, but it certainly does happen. I think I'd be doing some additional yelling if someone tried to arrest me for it.

I'm not of the opinion that cops are gods to be bowed down to. If I've done nothing wrong, I wouldn't appreciate being harassed. Most African Americans, especially the men, already know that giving a police officer any sort of resistance is akin to taking your life into your own hands, but I guess Mr. Gates felt like bucking the status quo that day. It seem he is paying dearly for it.

I actually do think there was racial motivation behind it, but that's just my opinion. I'm perfectly fine with everyone else thinking there was no racial motivation. I just disagree.

Absolutely. Although instead of calling it a racial issue, he should have called it police idiocy.

When a person gets arrested after proving said residency, something is wrong.

These cops are power tripping and ruining it for the good cops.

I too have been harassed while driving when I was 19.

Fought the phony ticket and lost.

Lesson learned!!!

Unless you have money, you are screwed. Legal representation is everything!

This is not about race - this is about cops being stupid and abusing their power.

To serve and protect is the lost motto.

If I've done nothing wrong, I wouldn't appreciate being harassed.

That's just it, though. How was he harassed? The cop did his job asking for ID and verifying that he was the homeowner. Why jump down the cop's throat immediately when he's following protocol?

And yes, while yelling at a cop in your home is not a crime, I don't know of many people that can ignore belligerence and lude comments about "your mamma". He was warned to calm down, and didn't.

I wish the charges were not dropped. He deserved to be arrested.

Lisa

Absolutely. Although instead of calling it a racial issue, he should have called it police idiocy.

Again, not the facts. He was NOT arrested for breaking in. You're skewing the facts to fit your own biases, just as Obama did.

Lisa

I too have been harassed while driving when I was 19.

Fought the phony ticket and lost.

Lesson learned!!!

Unless you have money, you are screwed. Legal representation is everything!

This is not about race - this is about cops being stupid and abusing their power.

To serve and protect is the lost motto.

Actually, I think this is more of a case of home-owner idiocy. His neighbor was aware enough to call the police to let them know someone was slamming into the man's front door, trying to break in. They show up to check it out and this man acted like a fool.

That's just it, though. How was he harassed? The cop did his job asking for ID and verifying that he was the homeowner. Why jump down the cop's throat immediately when he's following protocol?

And yes, while yelling at a cop in your home is not a crime, I don't know of many people that can ignore belligerence and lude comments about "your mamma". He was warned to calm down, and didn't.

I wish the charges were not dropped. He deserved to be arrested.

Lisa

In my opinion, the arrest was harassment.

So what if he was belligerent and making comments regarding the officer's "mamma" (Mr. Gates did deny that, but I certainly wasn't there)? Is that really an arrestable offense? Really? Everytime someone says something offensive and/or ugly to you, are you going to have them arrested? I think a previous poster had it right on when she stated that the cop was power tripping.

I will totally agree 100% that it would have been easier to just meekly follow orders, but all people aren't created equal. I don't think having a confrontational personality is an arrestable offense. He wasn't physically violent and he had proven (with a Harvard ID as well as a driver's license, per an interview with Mr. Gates this morning) that he was indeed in his own residence. He should have been left alone to yell and scream in his own home for as long as he'd like to.

That's just how I feel about it.

Cops aren't gods. I feel I can talk back to anyone who isn't my parent. ;)

Edited by TejasMamacita

I just think that yelling is not a crime. I yell in my house all the time..

He could have gone back in the house and yelled all he wanted. But by the officer's account he continued to follow him and taunt him and make juvenile, non-Harvard-like comments about his mamma. That's disorderly conduct.

Lisa

I actually don't think President Obama should have used the word "stupidly." He's a well educated man with a vast vocabulary, and I'm certain he could have done better than that. He probably should have reserved all comment, but at the very least, he should have commented more appropriately, in my opinion. I'm a big old Obama fan, but I can admit all day long that it was an unfortunate move.

As far as Mr. Gates' situation, I'm still frustrated and I don't understand it.

The way I'm reading it, Mr. Gates provided identification showing who he was and that he was indeed in his own residence. So what if he griped to the cops and called them racists. So what if he used expletives. So what! He was in his own home, he wasn't physically violent. I just think that yelling is not a crime. I yell in my house all the time. I'm not proud of it. They aren't my post shining moments, but it certainly does happen. I think I'd be doing some additional yelling if someone tried to arrest me for it.

I'm not of the opinion that cops are gods to be bowed down to. If I've done nothing wrong, I wouldn't appreciate being harassed. Most African Americans, especially the men, already know that giving a police officer any sort of resistance is akin to taking your life into your own hands, but I guess Mr. Gates felt like bucking the status quo that day. It seem he is paying dearly for it.

I actually do think there was racial motivation behind it, but that's just my opinion. I'm perfectly fine with everyone else thinking there was no racial motivation. I just disagree.

:iagree: Gates *did* give identification - both driver's license with address and Harvard ID - when asked. He'd just gotten back from a flight from China, and was probably very sleep-deprived and cranky (after all, his front door wouldn't open). Then after verifying he was the homeowner, the cop still wanted to drag him outdoors. What, this 60ish year old man in a suit with a cane drove dove down from the 'hood to break into a home in Cambridge, and forged some ID ahead of time just in case a cop came along? It defies all reason. I would've probably yelled at the guy too. The officer reportedly also repeatedly refused to give his name and badge number, as he is required to do when asked.

If you assault a police officer, yes you should get arrested. But even calling him a name is not an arrestable offense. We have freedom of speech in this country, no? Name-calling is not perhaps nice, but it's not against the law.

I think to be arrested in your own living room, there'd better be something other than "acting belligerent" as a cause.

Thank you for saying this!! My dh was pulled over last year for DWB (driving while black). He was in a certain part of town and a cop pulled him over for NO APPARENT REASON. My dh did nothing to warrant the stop. He is a quiet, soft-spoken man. My dh is a law-abiding citizen, an elder in the church and a wonderful man with a pleasant demeanor. He was HUMILIATED!! For those on this board who don't have a clue about what is like being a minority in this country-please try to be somewhat sensitive to the situation. In the black community, we have to teach our children to be very careful when dealing with law enforcement. I've known of several different cases where people have been beaten up or harassed by cops b/c of the color of their skin. My sons are only 8 and 5 yo. But, there will come a time in the very near future that we will have to talk to them about "racial profiling".

To the op I agree that President Obama shouldn't have said anything or used the words "acted stupidly". However, he somewhat apologized for that today. I do agree that both parties overreacted, but it still bothers me that Professor Gates was still arrested after showing his Harvard ID and drivers license that he was the homeowner. I don't care how belligerent he may have been! The cop should've dropped it and the police should've left. End of story.

Someone I know well who has had more than 1 experience in dealing with police officers is of the opinion that no matter what you have or have not actually done, if you are respectful to the officer, they will treat you respectfully. Every time they approach someone they are not exactly sure if that person is a suspect with a weapon or not so they initially treat everyone as though they were. So no, I don't think the president should have commented the way he did. He sets an example for all of us, especially our children.

Someone I know well who has had more than 1 experience in dealing with police officers is of the opinion that no matter what you have or have not actually done, if you are respectful to the officer, they will treat you respectfully. Every time they approach someone they are not exactly sure if that person is a suspect with a weapon or not so they initially treat everyone as though they were. So no, I don't think the president should have commented the way he did. He sets an example for all of us, especially our children.