Menu

Finances and Homeschooling....

I always get what I NEED, but not all I want. When I make out my lists for the following year, I divide it into need and want. I pick up the items on the want list when I can. I have made choices regarding curriculum based solely on affordablility.

Have you checked used curriculum? Silly question, I'm sure you have.

Maybe if you post on here a list of things your homsechool needs, one of us may be able to help.

see, i love the MFW curric. but no way i can afford it. even used. so i took a differnt route by doing HOP, Singaore math US version, 100 ez lessons, fiar, but now i dont have Bible supple....or Handwriting. i think science, history and geography is covered i nthe fiar....

but now i dont have Bible supple....or Handwriting.
finances are really really tight for us so all of our decisions were influenced by cost. Bible and handwriting will cost us nothing. Our plan is to read through the Bible this year hitting on the big stories and just talking about them as a family. Handwriting is copywork and freebie online worksheets for some variation.

Currently I'm stressing about the general school supplies stuff like glue, writing paper, folders and an ink cartridge. Everything else I know I can make do with what I have, the library and online resources.

oh gosh i havent even thought about glue, paper, ink (my husband hates how much i go throu)

im glad ds potty trained himself at 19 months cause ive been able to sell some of the cloth diapers he had! but now its like, yard sales, i try to get 3 dollars out of food money everyweek to save for school....

it would be nice if public schools would reinberss us :)

finances are really really tight for us so all of our decisions were influenced by cost. Bible and handwriting will cost us nothing. Our plan is to read through the Bible this year hitting on the big stories and just talking about them as a family. Handwriting is copywork and freebie online worksheets for some variation.

Currently I'm stressing about the general school supplies stuff like glue, writing paper, folders and an ink cartridge. Everything else I know I can make do with what I have, the library and online resources.

Glue, crayons, and all that I am buying as it goes on sale. WalMart just had glue for 30 cents a bottle, and Walgreens had folders pretty cheap. Last year Office Depot had general school supplies sometimes as low as 5 cents each. I just had to watch the ads because they changed each week.

But yes, I am feeling the pinch as well. I wou;dn't have ordered anything if my parents hadmn't offered to buy some. So I let them buy new BJU math, grammar, and Bible for my son. I still need HWT cursive and will get that as soon as dh says I can. I ordered science and social studies last spring when I had some extra money (and won an Amazon gift certificate!) Financially this month has been a killer for us. I don't have anything specific for my dd yet. I know, she is only 2, but I was hoping to have more structured things she could do because she loves doing shool work next to her brother.

LOL!

Um, yes.

But, they always get taught, I always teach, and school goes on. Right now I'm going back and forth over a $20 purchase from Rod & Staff. Do I REALLY need it? Now? Do I?

Couldn't I just do copywork instead of penmanship and free printables instead of preK? And then there is shipping. And I didn't QUITE finish last year's math so we could do that for a few weeks while I try to work it into the budget. Sigh. Yes, I get to that place. I KNEW it was a mistake when I didn't buy next year's school books with last year's taxes!

anyone else struggle to purchase what is needed???

I've never really struggled to get what I need, but I'm super cheap, so get what I can at the lowest possible price.

Keep your eyes peeled for all the supply sales going on right now. Or, if you have a friend with a Sam's Club or Costco card, buy in bulk and split it.

Kmart, Target and Walmart are all having sales on supplies right now. Even Walgreens and CVS pharmacy are having sales on glue, pencils, etc. It pays to get a Sunday paper with the ads, or peruse the ads online, for good deals.

Do you garage sale? You might keep an eye out for crayons, markers, partly used notebooks, etc. Lots of school children just get rid of last year's stuff, even though it's in great shape. Often they are in the free box, or the entire pencil case stuffed full of supplies will be $0.50.

Did you see this thread a few weeks ago? Maybe something here will help you save some money. There are lots of ways to teach something, and sometimes the cheapest way turns out to be the best.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109114

I too have to separate the want from the need or I could go way overboard. That being said our homeschool budget is a huge priority. I buy all my curriculum in the late winter, not a popular time and a lot of companies are desperate for business, I allocate most of our income tax return to it. Now is the time to buy school supplies. I went to Walmart last night and bought 2 pack glue sticks, bottles of Elmer’s glue for 25 cents each. I bought all school supplies for an entire year for under $30, that’s less than $3 a month. I am very frugal by habit not necessity (yet) so I am always looking for ways to utilize available resources; $12 shower board as opposed to $40 white boards. You can be very creative if you need to be. The computer and printer can be my best friends. If curriculum is a challenge there are many, many free resources of information on the internet; devise your own curriculum. I’ve written a lot of my own because I couldn’t find just what I needed. Print your own flash cards or better yet buy a 15 cent pack of index cards (Walmart) and have your dc make their own. There’s a list on the K-8 curriculum board of freebies that is great.

idk your kids' ages, but handwriting can easily be done with pencil and paper - period!

Bible - an illustrated version is nice to have on hand, but we just read every morning and my dc remember LOTS - and they are young (6, 4 and 3yo)!

If you are seriously that strapped, talk to your pastor (if you go to church). Most churches do school supply drives for ps kids in need this time of year. I'm sure if your need was know, they'd be happy to take care of you.:grouphug:

When I hs'd my oldest through middle school, the budget was always tight. We'd spend $$ on the basics like math and English, but everything else was eclectic--borrowed from friends or the library, or downloaded for free. I put together an entire civics curriculum from different sources on the internet.

Check Office Max for the sale this week. We got composition notebooks for 50 cents each!!! And folders for 20 cents. Certain pens were buy one pack get one for a penny.

I do so love office/school supplies....

Kmart, Target and Walmart are all having sales on supplies right now. Even Walgreens and CVS pharmacy are having sales on glue, pencils, etc. It pays to get a Sunday paper with the ads, or peruse the ads online, for good deals.

Walgreens is doing a lot of buy 2 get 1 free sales AND if you transfer a prescription to Walgreens or CVS, you get a $25 check to use in the store. That's what we did today. I bought over $40 worth of school supplies for $7.52! I was so excited, I started a thread about it (I hadn't read yours yet):p

Also, I agree about going cheap on the white board. Our first year I spent over $40 on a huge, magnetic white board that didn't last a week before it was scratched and the marker wouldn't come off (even with cleaner). Also, it put HUGE holes in my wall that were horrible to patch when we moved it to another room. I wrote on our sliding glass door in the living room for a while, and last year, I bought an $8.00 white board at Walmart that works like a dream. It looks cheap but it has been horribly abused and still works like new.

HTH!

Blessings!

Dorinda

If I remember, don't you have a 4yo you're starting with Kindergarten? I think you can get by with very little at that age, probably less than $50. It will be more expensive as they get older, but by then you'll have other options you can look at, depending on your area (like hs charter schools), and you could also check into Book Samaritan (although I can't seem to find a link, maybe someone else has one?). These are my suggestions for doing K on the cheap:

Library Books for read alouds in science and history

Teaching reading book, such as 100 Easy Lessons or OPGTTR (you may find these at the library)

Handwriting book (HWT is good)

A phonics book, like ETC

Math with stuff around the house (dominoes, blocks, anything you can use for counting, adding, and subtracting).

Flash Cards can be made out of index cards, which you can pick up for less than 50 cents (clearance).

Art supplies like glue, construction paper, markers, etc.

Early September is usually when the school stuff is marked 75%-90% off, although it depends on your area. That's the best time to buy supplies, IMO.

I don't know how I would do it without our great library system. I pay for DD's math (Singapore, very inexpensive), ink to print MEP, and a few workbooks that are inexpensive for spelling and grammar. Aside from that I have a lot of used curriculum and some library cards that are always at their limit. No matter what we are studying, I can usually pull together a list of books, audiobooks, computer games, board games, story kits, dvds, even entire kits on particular topics....you get the idea. I order everything through the online catalog, and it's delivered to my local branch. And with the cuts the library is facing, I am really worried that my days of homeschooling for nearly free will be coming to an end.

Lots of good advise. We start school in July on a modified schedule. We start with anything left over from last year. Then I add in one thing each week (what I have on hand) Then, what I need to buy - math, la, history, science - I schedule in on monthly. This month I bought R&S English for 2 kids, spelling for 2 (I tried my own spelling for a couple of years and that hasn't worked so I had to step up and buy something), and Latin. Next month, I will buy history and then science. It takes me until Sept or Oct to get a full school going and then we run until July. I searched the cheapest, the best, and discovered that much of the cheap stuff is good,no frills, and does a better job than the fancy stuff. I gave up on buying things like SOnlight because I concentrated on finding good quality spine books for history that would last several years of school AND several kids. Each year I hit our used book sale for home schoolers and find really good spines and such for about 50 bucks. I've done that since the 7th grader was in K and have a great library built up. Which is why I use TWTM because most of the books I've collected were spines in her book. I don't use math workbooks and instead make the kids write their work and answers on paper. Hence, I won't have to buy math for anyone but the first kid (next level) since we haven't used anything. I'm starting that now with our spelling books and any other workbooks this year.

I decided a long time ago that I didn't have the money to spend 250-300 dollars on a packaged curriculum and still have to add in math and science. Even though I am having to buy far more this year than any other year, I am still going to be under 200.00 for all 3 kids.

I've always been careful and tried to buy needs more than wants, but this year is tight. I can't actually afford food just now, much less books. So I have sold out to the Man and joined a charter school ISP that gives me a bunch of money. Happily they're as hands-off as it's possible to be.

:001_unsure: <this is me being ambivalent about the whole thing

Absolutely. I suspect that some of Yacko's issues are in part due to not having the curriculum he needed last year or the year before. We do the best we can, but while there are many cheap/free resources out there, they're not a good fit for every teacher/student relationship and certainly didn't work for us, especially the "free" things you must print yourself - ink adds up fast!

Well normally I wouldn't be having this problem but tuition went up for college and I still need to get some things like expensive math. I am doing many things on the cheap like literature and using a writing program I already have for my youngest. I don't have anything I like for Alg 2 nor for Pre-ALgebra ( I do have things for Alg, and Geometry) and sothere is the expense. NOw what I should do and will try to do later this week after swim and dive end is sell my TOG Year 1 redesigned. That should help a bit along with selling some other non -used things. We aren't starting most new subjects until September so I have a bit of time.

Maybe you can try and save money over the year for the following one. I know that I already have a tentative plan for 2010-2011 so that we can save or collect as the year progresses. That may be the only way I get some of the things that I want.

HWT is something i am saving for since DD is having problmens remeber HOW to write and i dont know what to saY~

See if your library has The Writing Road to Reading by Spalding. It lays out HOW to teach handwriting, using a clockface to describe the strokes. With a 4yo, I wouldn't advise workbooks for handwriting anyway - jmho. (lots of gross motor activites to simply learn the strokes and letter sounds...sidewalk chalk, fingerpaint, playdoh, a stick in the dirt.....)

My library also carries Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, Phonics Pathways, and many more ....Family Math too....exhaust your library!;)

If your family gives Christmas/Birthday gifts and ask what dd needs/wants, put HSing stuff at the top of the list.

See if your library has The Writing Road to Reading by Spalding. It lays out HOW to teach handwriting, using a clockface to describe the strokes. With a 4yo, I wouldn't advise workbooks for handwriting anyway - jmho. (lots of gross motor activites to simply learn the strokes and letter sounds...sidewalk chalk, fingerpaint, playdoh, a stick in the dirt.....)

:iagree:

My ds(4)'s favorite handwriting activity is writing letters with his finger in salt. We taught him the clock face (draw on a piece of construction paper) and then taught him to form his letters in the salt according to the numbers on the clock. Talk about cheap - I picked up a thing of salt at WalMart the other day for under $.50.

We can't afford all of this curriculum, but we can't afford to let the year pass without a good education for dd either. I will forgo buying myself those new clothes for work this year, and Lord only knows I need them. We will not eat out in restaurants -- we'll perhaps even cut back on the amount of meat we consume. We will cut back on driving miles in order to save money on gas.

We'll do whatever it takes because I'm an older mom who knows the stark reality of fleeting time. We will do whatever we have to do to make dd's school experience the best it can possibly be this year.

I will never pass this way again. Dd will only be a 10 yo girl for awhile!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Yes, and this year will be the worst because I have one doing Keystone and the oldest one is in her final year of high school and needing expensive math and science stuff. The youngest two are going to PS but that isn't going to be cheap either, lots of fees and I have to buy copies of all their textbooks because they are not allowed to bring them home which is a PITA. Not mention school required supplies.

Good morning all! This thread has encouraged me so much. This year has been quite a challenge for me. Last December my dh lost his job unexpectedly and was searching for 3 months before he found another job...at half the pay...but we are both extremely thankful that he has a job nonetheless. Our tax refund, that has always supplied most of our curriculum needs, was used to pay our mortgage and food and bills. So I have been praying for help in this area. I used to read a wonderful magazine, and one of the themes of it was *What do I have in my hand?* It's a great way to look at things we often forget to notice. I have spent a lot of time reorganizing my tiny office. I found books that I had long forgotten I had. I have purchased used books for pennies on Amazon for references. I have recycled old plastic drawers for holding school supplies, that I will buy as they go on sale. I visit the Goodwill weekly for, well, you name it. Costumes, books, you never know what you will find there! So this year it has helped for me to pray for contentment during this season. I have a lot of what I need already, it's just a matter of 'seeing it' and making the old things seem new again with a positive attitude. :grouphug: to everyone here who is learning to make do with what's on hand.

This year I have spent the most.....sigh.

I am going through and trying to sell things I don't need/won't use.....all great curriculum, it just didn't work for US!

Most years I budget $300 total for 2 kids (youngest wasn't hsed until recently). But this year I have already spent about $1000 and I am hoping we are now FINISHED! Some of it will last more than one year though.

Dawn