Menu

Workboxes - humor me if you decided NOT to do these -

1bassoon

This subject came up tonight at a meeting at my house - and I just got to wondering.

If you researched workboxes, and did NOT decide to use them, care to share why not?

Thanks!

(I think this could be helpful in a, "47 Reasons NOT to buy Sonlight" kinda way :D)

Well, all the workbox systems I have seen so far seem to take up a lot of space. My kids' school materials are stored on the shelf of a bookcase (one shelf per child). They have a schedule of what to do each day in each subject. They work pretty independently already. My existing system works for us, so I don't see a reason to spend money to create a new system. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

Well I jumped off the bandwagon at the last minute. I had bought the ebook, researched all the blogs etc, bought all the drawer units (didn't have room for shelves full of boxes), printed and laminated all the little labels and had it all set up. Then while rearranging our school room and getting all the new books out I thought, well this is kind of dumb. My oldest is almost completely independant, and did just fine with the checklist printed from HST+ last year, my dd can't yet read beyond CVC words so still needs me for everything and my youngest is only pre-k. So I figured why make my life more difficult if what we're doing is working. I did ask them if it was ok to go back to daily or weekly binders of work. I used to put all the worksheets for the day or week in a binder and then I'd give my older a check list to go with it. They said daily would be good and I figured I could easily stick some of those workbox fun things in there too. So I dusted off the old binders, put in some pocket dividers, because those are easier than opening and closing the clips all the time and VOILA we're all set.

I ended up using the drawer units to store all our stacks of colored paper, and other art supplies.

So in short I figured why fix a routine that's not broken just because it's a popular trend. I also didn't see it working with a child that needs mom for all subjects yet.

It seemed like a ton of work for me for very little benefit. My children each have an area in a low, four-square bookcase where they keep their books. An assignment tends to be "do the next thing," and then they each bring it to me for checking before they begin the next subject.

If it ain't broke, I'm not going to fix it.

I looked it up, researched it, browsed what seemed like a million blogs, etc. In the end...I don't like how it looks and it was just too much. I have 4 kids, 1 on the way and who knows how many more for the future! I couldn't imagine having 12 boxes for each child.

Takes up too much space, too time consuming with pulling activities and books out to put in the boxes every night. I like bookshelves and making my kids know how to use them.

I did come up with my own system where the kids each have their own file box with folders. The file box has a daily checklist and each folder contains their work to be done. You can look at it here. Nothing fancy, but so much prettier!!

Liz in NC

Reading through the stuff on workboxes was good for me to let me see new ways to approach our day, but it really was overkill as a methodology. I liked Rebecca's slot thing but realized I had that all along, just wasn't using it as well as I could. We've used vertical metal dividers from the office supply store for years as a way to hold our stuff. I just got more, so each subject can have its own slot, and some Oxo magnets I can write numbers on for order. If we don't end up using the magnets, no biggee. Just having each thing with its own slot is an improvement, and the distinction workboxing makes between independent and together subjects was good for me to think through, as was the number of subjects, how to bring more fun into our day through planning, etc. That last thing, having some fun thing planned, a goal for when we finish, is a nice change from the usual work till you drop and then complain cuz you never do anything fun. :)

I don't want to refill them every night or morning. We run most efficiently when I have the week's work ready before we start so we can just open and go.

I might end up with some sort of 5th-cousin-once-removed workbox system, though. I'm still tweaking our system for the year (even though I told the boys we're starting tomorrow :lol:).

Definitely not for us.

I looked it up, researched it, browsed what seemed like a million blogs, etc. In the end...I don't like how it looks and it was just too much. I have 4 kids, 1 on the way and who knows how many more for the future! I couldn't imagine having 12 boxes for each child.

Takes up too much space, too time consuming with pulling activities and books out to put in the boxes every night. I like bookshelves and making my kids know how to use them.

This is me as well (except the "1 on the way" part....but I would be thrilled if it happened!!).

Having to restock the boxes every night seems like WAY too much work when I have a much simpler system already working for us.

Each child has a shelf on the bookcase (the two littles share one for now). They have their school supplies and books on their shelf. The girls have a 3-ring binder that has assignment pages in it for seat work. Each Sunday afternoon I sit down and write out their lessons for the week. They know each day to get their binder, look at the current day, do the work listed, and mark off what they have completed.

For work we do together (Bible, History, Science, Art, etc) I have a separate assignment sheet. That one is planned out for the year so I can keep up with what library books and supplies are needed in the coming weeks. I display that in our school area so they know what will be happening that week and so I know what I need to teach.

I'm all about keeping it simple.

I just shy away from systems that need a whole book to explain themselves. I also tend to avoid fads.

And, as pps said

-- too much space

-- too much work for the result

-- if it ain't broke...

And if dc don't put things away (or in the right boxes), I'd be picking up or sorting out 18 boxes worth of stuff.

I also agree with WendyK's more subtle assessment:

I want our homeschool to be less schoolish looking. One aspect of traditional school that I don't care for is how subjects are compartmentalized, as if reading and history (for example) aren't related at all. I also think it looks like a lot of busy work (for me) with very little benefit.

Edited by Alessandra

Well, all the workbox systems I have seen so far seem to take up a lot of space. My kids' school materials are stored on the shelf of a bookcase (one shelf per child). They have a schedule of what to do each day in each subject. They work pretty independently already. My existing system works for us, so I don't see a reason to spend money to create a new system. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

This is my reasoning too. Not to mention that we're trying to find space, not use more of it.

I have not decided NOT to do it....yet. I have a stacked 10 drawer thingy-ma-bob not being used, so I decided to give this workbox system a run through. I did not go out and buy a laminator....good grief...especially when plain ol packing tape works just as well, and I always have packing tape on-hand. I made my numbers from a card making computer program I have, cut them out, and laminated them with packing tape. It's a beautiful thing! :D I did purchase some velcro dots, but that is the only money I have forked out so far on this adventure.

Now for the thing that will probably cause me to ditch this system:

Refilling the boxes each night.

Will I actually remember to do this??? Will I want too? How much refilling will be involved?

What I do like about the system:

Organized boxes. I would LOVE if my son would learn to put his books back in their box each and every day after he has finished them. This, in and of itself, would be worth it. To not have to search the house over for his math book, reading book, english book, etc., each day would save so much time. This child needs to learn to be ORGANIZED! To put things back where they belong so they are where they need to be when you NEED them! He's always had just one box to hold all of his books, and he could never remember to put things away. If he did his math in the dining room, his books were left there. If he read his history on the couch, the books were left there. The kid did school EVERYWHERE!! Even our bedroom! I don't mind him taking some subjects to a more comfy spot to work, but then he would forget where he left such-n-such book and the hunt would begin. I'm thinking this system will help him (and help keep my house picked-up). When he is done with box 1, he will but his work back in box 1 and grab the stuff from box 2, etc.

Whether this will work remains to be seen. ;)

So, no, I haven't decided against workboxes....yet. ;):D

I too purchased the book, have read all the blogs, and looked at all the photos, but in the end it is not for us either.

I can not imagine having to fill those boxes each night, it sounds very labor intensive for the parent.

I am definately a free spirited just wake up and lets go with it.

I do make a weekly plan and we do strive to finish it all, but the order is all optional depending on the mood of the participants, me included.

I would like to include more fun things to do, but actually for us the fun ususally begins when we finish our school for the day.

Thanks for all the helpful comments ladies.

This child needs to learn to be ORGANIZED! To put things back where they belong so they are where they need to be when you NEED them! He's always had just one box to hold all of his books, and he could never remember to put things away. If he did his math in the dining room, his books were left there. If he read his history on the couch, the books were left there.

Melissa -

Mental note.

Please make sure that your 12yo never meets and marries my 8yo.

"Baby? What baby? I don't know where the baby is?"

:lol:

Packing tape!!!! ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a great idea, thanks.:tongue_smilie:

Um, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t see why in the world anyone would need an entire book to explain a workbox system. LOL. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m glad itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not just me. I avoided the idea until hearing about the hanging file system. I love files and the boxes will be perfect for us as our books always end up spread around on the floor instead of on the bookshelves. We have a large HS bookshelf downstairs that stores many of our accumulated curricula, but somehow the books we use never make it back to that shelf. With the boxes hopefully we can store them on the bookshelf on the weekends, or we can even tuck them away in a closet if need be. LOL.

Packing tape!!!! ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a great idea, thanks.:tongue_smilie:

Um, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t see why in the world anyone would need an entire book to explain a workbox system. LOL. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m glad itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not just me. I avoided the idea until hearing about the hanging file system. I love files and the boxes will be perfect for us as our books always end up spread around on the floor instead of on the bookshelves. We have a large HS bookshelf downstairs that stores many of our accumulated curricula, but somehow the books we use never make it back to that shelf. With the boxes hopefully we can store them on the bookshelf on the weekends, or we can even tuck them away in a closet if need be. LOL.

You know, I'm even thinking that the file system will work great for us, especially if we end up moving late summer, early fall.

I have looked at this system, but in the end, my reasons are just like those that have already posted.

I really thought this would distract my son and cause him to focus on getting the work done instead of on learning. I heard somewhere that the system was developed to help special needs kids, and it may help some, but in the end it would distract my child w/ADHD. With the box, there's just simply too much to look at at one time. It's much better if something is taken off the shelf, used and returned to the shelf where it is out of sight, out of mind.

To me you can use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Buddy-Products-Recycled-7-slot-holder/dp/B0015ZYIZM/ref=acc_glance_op_ai_-2_1_tit

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Buddy-Products-416-4-6-Tier-sorter/dp/B0007847AE/ref=pd_sbs_op_14

or like this: http://www.amazon.com/Mail-Slots-12-1-2x10x3-Blue/dp/B001A44IP8/ref=pd_sbs_op_5

much cheaper, much less space. I use something similar to these that I got at a garage sale, a retired teacher was having. I only file school work that is laguage arts (reading, R&S, copywork, spelling) or math. History, science, art, Bible, read-alouds we all do together; so these are on my bookshelf. I don't like to schedule "fun" things for my kids to do (unless it is school related). I would rather they use their imagination and come up with their own activities. If they rather paint or practice a show to preform for the family, than play with palydoh that's fine with me. I don't want them to feel confined to a box.

Edit: They also don't have to follow any specific order as long as it gets done.

Edited by coralloyd

I did workboxes for the last half of the school year. I really liked parts of the plan, but I missed my dc working together! I will probably use a few boxes this coming year, but don't see a need for all 12 boxes if my dc are working together. This may have to do with how young my dc are. 12 workboxes is too much Independence.

The whole workbox concept is pretty new to me, and I haven't researched it as much as some here have. What we do sounds pretty similar in a lot of ways. We have bookshelves in the schoolroom/dining room with 2-3 "current year" shelves. (others are more general- science books, history books, etc...) These shelves have their notebooks - labeled (Jamey's preschool work, Felicia's History notebook, etc.), and their current books, (math, grammar, history, etc..)

I have a list of subjects with lines next to them printed on colored paper and put in a page protector. Every night I write the next days assignments on the page protector with a wet-erase marker. (for example, math book is printed on the page already and I write down the page numbers to do that day). Any pages she needs for any subject (including colring pages adn maps for history) go into the notebook. Mostly it can be done in any order and can be picked up and taken with her from room to room (if it needs to)

I can't see adding even more clutter to our homeschooling or more busy work for me.

This will be our eleventh year of homeschooling, and I've found that keeping the books on shelves in a cabinet or on a desk and making a list for each child for each day is the simplest system for us for K-8. Worksheets and other loose projects that need to be done are kept in the front of three ring binders and are moved to the completed section when done, then moved to the file section after I check them. It's quick and efficient, and if I want to add a game or project to the day, I can just put it on the list, without having to move it out of its place.

For high school, they're keeping their own file boxes, assignment books, and time records (required in WI). Even simpler.

I haven't researched it much because I took one look at it and thought, "That takes up way too much space, and I would never remember to reload the boxes--nor would I want to!" A weekly assignment sheet is good enough for all of us. The boxes look cool I'll admit. I'm a sucker for plastic organization tools. It drives my dh crazy, so not doing workboxes will save his sanity as well as mine. :lol:

I also bought the book, and then realized how incredibly detailed and laborious it would be! Now, don't get me wrong, Sue Patrick has done an amazing job not only creating the system, but explaining it as well. For many, I can see it being the answer to their prayers. But for others, it's over the top and not necessary.

I am on the 5th-cousin-twice-removed bandwagon :) I will utilize the general concept of having multiple activities in seperate little drawers - but the number of drawers (no way we need 12), scheduling strips, cards, etc - it's just more than I can keep up with.

And what I am using of the system is more for ME than anyone else - it gets me in the habit of looking for and pulling all those fun little things the DC's (esp DD) always ask for and I never seem to have time to get to. It will keep me accountable for actually DOING all the things I claim to do in my siggy :D

And I like any excuse to buy an organizational drawer/box/shelf thingy....;)

In a word---SPACE!

Also I think they look like a lot of clutter. We are 6 people living in a single wide mobile home.Our youngest dd is still in the bedroom with dh and I cuz basically when she was conceived there was litterally *no room in the inn.* :lol: Soooo school space is down low on our priority list.

HOWEVER I do have a nice little flowered box set with lids. One is about 10x 15 x 4 deep, and the other two are 7x7x4 deep and stack nicely on top. In those I put art supplies, flash cards and manipulatives . On top of that I have a nice deep red dish pan that half way matches the boxes. In this I put all of the books that we use each day, and then add to it any extras that we will use the next day...things like scissors, or certain flash cards, etc so that it will all come with us to the sofa when we are ready to begin our day. Now all of this fits nicely under our coffee table. No additional space needed. :D

I can manage to sit down and schedule a week's worth of work onto a grid. But I would most likely not keep up the putting in and taking out of assignments and activities that seems to be part of Workboxes.

We do practice a very low rent alternative, which consists of getting all the books for the day out and stacking them on a chair or coffee table. We do each subject and then put those books away. We get the dwindling stack as motivation, the kids can pick which subject they do next (to a limited extent) and I don't have to keep boxes stocked.

I also found a few years ago that detailed scheduling on a computer tracker was a time sump but not that much of a help. Just for me and mine. YMMV

I don't like the idea because I think it places FAR too much responsibility on the parent and not enough on the child. I give my kids a checklist of the days lessons and they go to it. They get the materials they need and put them away when they are done. Taking responsibility for their work is part of what I am trying to teach them!

What a fantastic thread! Thanks! I decided against it because, as others have said, it seems too much work for me. I'm not organized as it is and I don't need the added pressure of trying to keep up with the system every night.

However, I still don't know HOW I'm going to organize my day/week of school. I have a R&S planner that I'm using to organize my lessons and such, but as for the books/workbooks/activity sheets/etc, I have no idea what to do with them. I bought an over-the-door book organizer for dd for her to keep her current workbooks and readers in, but as for the other stuff - not sure yet - so I'm loving all these organizational tips!

My kids also do homeschool in two different homes, so we just use the ol' fashioned "Backpack" system :)

*I* would benefit from them, but we simply do not have the space, and like eternalknot, we school in two different homes, so we need something more portable.

So I took the idea and tweaked it a bit.

Each child has two large drawers - these are the big sterilite three-drawer towers that are almost dresser-sized. The top drawer is the "in" (work to be completed) and the bottom drawer is the "out" (finished work.) The drawers are large enough that all their materials and supplies fit with room to spare.

Then each boy (Dot is still too momma-dependant for it to work for her) has a manila folder with color-coded library pockets. Green for Yacko and blue for Wacko. Each pocket holds five index cards labeled with the day of the week and the assignment for that day. At the beginning of the day, Wacko pulls all of the cards labeled with that day of the week (Monday, for example) and puts them in the library pocket on the cover of his folder labeled "Today's Work." As he completes the assignment, he moves the card to the "Finished Work" pocket, also on the front of the folder. Yacko has only a "Finished Work" pocket as he prefers to pull the assignment cards as he does them.

They each have a color coded 3 ring binder in which notebook paper, folders to hold their CLE Lightunits, and dividers for non-CLE subjects are stored for easy toting back and forth between the two houses. They each have a case containing colored & #2 pencils, a sharpener, 4" ruler, etc that slips nicely into a backpack for when we're not working in one of the two houses. (We like to take the work to the park or whereever on nice days, and they take their work with them to Dot's weekly ice skating class.)

I also have a binder with weekly schedules for planning, as well as a teacher planner for Dot and another for the boys.

One idea I am going to adopt from the workbox system is scheduling time for the educational games, and other fun items, that we never seem to remember to actually use. I cleaned off one shelf of our school bookcase, and plan to set out different items each week, like a math game, geography puzzle, or craft kit. The "fun shelf" items will be available for the kids to use after they finish their school work. I may even try to incorporate picture books, and have theme weeks that tie in to holidays and other happenings.

The organizational part of me loves the idea :-) but the truth is that we didn't homeschool that way. My dc didn't have assignments to turn in; we did things together at the kitchen table, or in the living room, or at the park. We were unschoolers, unit study-ers, not doing workbooks or other just-like-school assignments. It just wasn't our methodology.

But if we *had* been more formal, workboxes would have been a serious consideration for me.

I read a lot of workbox threads and blogs and looked at a ton of very beautiful pictures. The organizer in me really *wanted* to use workboxes. Just the set-up alone would have been fun :)

But, I also know that I'm much better at long range planning and weekly planning - not so good at preparing on a daily basis. Plus, we implemented a check-list system over a year ago that works really well for all of us. The kids each have a check-list that is organized around meals and breaks but doesn't include actual times. They like knowing what they have going one each day and being able to check things off. I like the fact that I only have to think about the check-list once a week.

Even so, I couldn't completely let the workbox idea go. I've been thinking of ways to use it to increase my motivation to do things that don't normally happen (like art and science experiments). I also thought it would work well for productive independent but sort of fun time. And I think I can use some workboxy ideas for my soon-to-be 4 year old. I plan to sit down and stock my workboxes on a weekly basis. I'll gather the art materials we need and our book and put those in one drawer. I'll choose one of our educational games or puzzles and put that in another. I'll find some preschooly activities to inspire my little guy when I'm busy with the others. And then we'll see what happens.

My kids work form a checklist schedule and have done for years.

All their schoolbooks are on their desks, standing up at the back or stacked in a pile. I don't see the advantage of having them in a box.

But the main disadvantage to me seems to be having to stack the boxes nightly. I just dont do anything nightly anymore. If they were younger, maybe it would be easier than a checklist, but maybe not.

I love organising systems, I really do, but workboxes never appealed to me.

This subject came up tonight at a meeting at my house - and I just got to wondering.

If you researched workboxes, and did NOT decide to use them, care to share why not?

Thanks!

(I think this could be helpful in a, "47 Reasons NOT to buy Sonlight" kinda way :D)

Lack of space

Too much work

An unnecessary expense.

Couldn't figure out a good reason why.

Thanks!

Well, I have read some of the threads about workboxes and looked at examples of how they are used. I guess if you have the space to set them out, dc that like organization naturally and you have the time to keep them up/stocked they would be good.

I don't have the space for them, nor do I have the kids that naturally flow towards being organized.

I have two smaller bookshelves that are on wheels that I keep our supplies on, one for each child. I keep all their books/subjects on those shelves and if I have printouts I keep them in folders on that shelf. They are sturdy, very movable, cheep(my dh made them for me), easy to keep up and it works. No reason to change. My dd is more inclined to do on her own and I have it divided so she can pull out a subject that is more independent and work on it while I am working with my ds. I have loved this.

I think it sounds like a neat idea for new homeschoolers and moms with several young children. Like others, I have space considerations, an older DS who is mostly independent and youngers who require my direct supervision.

HOWEVER, I am taking this in a different direction for my DD who is constantly asking "What can I do now?" when we're done with school for the day and I'm either busy with dinner or just need a break. I'm accumulating some cheap arts and crafts supplies (blank books, blank puppets to decorate, card-making kits, bead jewelry kits, blank puzzles, etc.) and putting them in boxes for her to choose from. These are mostly either things we already had or things I found on clearance, but I did buy a few things specially for this project. I'm also using the cardboard mailing boxes that come in a pack of 3 at Walmart for $5. They are 9 x 13 x 3 I think and can accomodate workbooks and paper as well as fit nicely on our existing bookcase. Plus, they are blank so she can decorate them herself if she wants to.

So for school time they probably won't work for us. But for "What can I do now?" I think it'll be helpful.

Honestly? I think it's just another project/curriculum for homeschool moms to get excited about and busy themselves, but that will distract them from the real goal of teaching their dc. Was that too honest? :D

It will be the answer for a few families, but overall, I think it is just another fad. Next week there will be something new, and many workbox systems will sit collecting dust in homes.

Overall, I think homeschoolers need to be encouraged in the opposite direction of workboxes. We should be working more with dc and spending less time figuring out how to get them to do things independently (see quote in signature.) We need to quit switching planning methods and curriculum and just spend the time teaching our dc and talking to them.

I also don't like the trend to trademark (or service mark) common homeschool terms (Workbox, CarSchool, etc.) Homeschoolers used to help each other, and it has become big money now. Everyone has an idea or curriculum to sell.

Edited by angela in ohio
thinking one word, typing another ;)

When I first read about my interest was peaked, but then I noticed that there were just so many threads on it and it's use that it just seem like to much work to try and figure out.

I just thought how can putting a kids work in little drawers be so complicated:confused:

I avoid complications! So now I just go right past any workbox talk:D:D

Honestly? I think it's just another project/curriculum for homeschool moms to get excited about and busy themselves, but that will distract them from the real goal of teaching their dc. Was that too honest? :D

It will be the answer for a few families, but overall, I think it is just another fad. Next week there will be something new, and many workbox systems will sit collecting dust in homes.

Overall, I think homeschoolers need to be encouraged in the opposite direction of workboxes. We should be working more with dc and spending less time figuring out how to get them to do things independently (see quote in signature.) We need to quick switching planning methods and curriculum and just spend the time teaching our dc and talking to them.

I know this is a temptation in my life.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I always appreciate the ideas that bounce around on these forums. I may not follow the "workbox" idea, but it has inspired me to tweak my system a bit. I hesitate to criticize someone's ideas just because they don't fit my household. I always glean something from the creativity of others and am so appreciative of the folks that are willing to share!

I find it to be too much work and too cumbersome. I don't need such a system.

I have all my lessons planned out on paper in my planner. Each morning, I look at the work to be completed for that day. For those workbook type items that ds can do pretty much on his own, I simply open the book to that page (keep a book mark in each one so it's simple to open each day and get started) and present it to him. If there's any sort of intro or comment that needs to be made about it, I do that.

I just stack these open books up and let him get started. He comes to me if he needs help and closes them up when he's finished. We put them back in a stack to await the next day's work. I don't need to place each in its own box, include laminated cards, etc. That would be cute, but it's simply not necessary (and would make more work for me).

All supplies needed are stacked up in front of his face on the 6' table we use as a partner's desk. Or in plastic cases. Paper, pencils, pens, rulers, book marks; colored pencils, colored papers, crayons, other art supplies, etc.

Now, we don't necessarily do this first thing unless we have to head out of the house early. Other things on my schedule that I do aloud with him include Bible time, literature time, and perhaps some reading of history and/or science (if we have time), as well as memory work. Also, some portion of his languages, geography and this year, logic, will be done aloud and together. Normally, his reading time and our history/science time are in the afternoons, following lunch. However, outside activities often happen at that time and take us away from our studies at home, so we may try to make up/catch up in the mornings when we can. Again, I have a list of books we're reading for the week and those are stacked up by our table (or wherever we're currently perching to read) and ready to go.

I don't need boxes. Now, if I had a small house and no shelves or other places to keep things, and didn't want to just stack them on the floor, then I might consider workboxes. But as it stands, I don't see that they'd help me at all....

Guest Barb B

Too much work.

Too much space.

Seems unneeded: DC books are at their desks. We Do what ever the next lesson in the book is. Why take it out every night and put it in a box?

Barb