Menu

Wow! Love the new boards! What is everyone reading? I'm reading The Historian...

I'm halfway through These Three Remain by Pamela Aidan (another P&P takeoff). It's pretty good so far - different perspective on the story I know so well....

On my Cheerios box, I noticed this morning, they say 'by the time you finish that novel you can lower your cholesterol' - it's a 6-week program - does anyone really take six weeks to finish a novel?

I am horrible. I am re-reading How to Read a Book. I am also reading Hamlet and Shakespeare & Co with my ds for British Lit. I'm reading Baby Island and Seven Day Magic with my dd and pre-reading The Boxcar Children for her. Hmm, for me I have my TOG year 2 unit 1 book tucked in my book bag. I need to get to the grownup section of the library.

I am horrible. I am re-reading How to Read a Book. I am also reading Hamlet and Shakespeare & Co with my ds for British Lit. I'm reading Baby Island and Seven Day Magic with my dd and pre-reading The Boxcar Children for her. Hmm, for me I have my TOG year 2 unit 1 book tucked in my book bag. I need to get to the grownup section of the library.

I just finished the Spiderwick Chronicles :D

I'm reading Shadow Patriots by Lucia St. Clair Robson based during the American Revolution and centers on a woman becomes a spy for the rebellion. I'm itching to read the two others waiting on my side table Manchu Palaces and The Other Boleyn Girl.

I've had The Other Boleyn Girl on my shelf for so long, I'm determined to get to it this year!

I am still reading nautical fiction, set in the British Navy during war against Napoleon. Current author is Alexander Kent, and his Richard Bolitho series. Not quite as good as Forester's Hornblower series, which is not nearly as good as O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin series. I must have been a coxswain or midshipman in a former life ;)

On my table right now - Mary Poppins (never read before, way better than the movie - especially Mrs. Corry), The Iliad (just some light reading!), and The Arctic Event (Robert Ludlum's new Covert One book - dh has me hooked on these now!)

I'm reading Eat, Pray, Love and Love in the Time of Cholera. The first because it's been recommended to me several times and the second because my English professor recommends the author. :) I'm also reading through the bible and reading some fiction.

How is "Love in the Time of Cholera"? I've got it on reseve at the library, but I'm waaaay down on the list. :p

I'm on a Jane Austen kick, too. I just finished Northanger Abbey, and read Persuasion earlier this week. Northanger Abbey was kind of fun, but not nearly as well written as S&S, P&P, or Persuasion.

I'm also reading Paul Johnson's A History of the American People and Plato's Laws. Such a nerd, I know.

Read aloud is Jules Verne's Michael Strogoff. The Russian names are killing me!

I am horrible. I am re-reading How to Read a Book. I am also reading Hamlet and Shakespeare & Co with my ds for British Lit. I'm reading Baby Island and Seven Day Magic with my dd and pre-reading The Boxcar Children for her. Hmm, for me I have my TOG year 2 unit 1 book tucked in my book bag.

That's pretty much where most of my reading comes from - dc's book lists! I liked Baby Island, but not The Boxcar Children. :)

I am re-reading bits and pieces of the Charlotte Mason Home Education series. I just finished Swiss Family Robinson and will soon start on Mere Christianity. I am also reading Valley of Vision slowly over the course of this year, and I adore it!

I enjoyed The Historian once I got into it a bit further. It was one of those books that grow on you ;)

I'm currently reading The Kings of Albion, The Adventure of English and Galileo Antichrist - A Biography.

I love being able to understand all the historical references in these books; a huge thank you to SOTW :D

I just finished Peter and the Secret of Rundoon. I was sad that it ended. I am just starting Trumpeter of Krakow. My love of juvenille (ack! where is the spellcheck??) fiction hasn't faded yet.

I am also reading some art books: Acrylic Revolution by Nancy Reyner, Acrylics Workshop by Phyllis McDowell, and Collage Unleashed by Traci Bautista.

I'm reading See You in a Hundred Years (I really like it so far); Born Standing Up (Steve Martin's autobiography), and re-reading Christy. Sorry I can't tell you the author for the first one...it's Logan something. Too lazy to go in the other room and get it! :-)

I just finished the "Twilight" series by Stephenie Meyer, and am waiting to pick up Robert Parker's "Then and Now" from the libray. :)

I'm finishing up Middlesex, about to jump into Twilight. Of course, I'll have to change my 888 plan, as those weren't on it. That's becoming less a plan and more of a suggestion until something better comes along! :rolleyes:

DD13 & I are about to start Little Women. Should we go for audio? I'm feeling a little fizzy on keeping up with my books and those of the 3dds. :eek:

Titanic, from the Vision Forum. It's a book that was originally published just a few months after the Titanic sank; full of eye-witness accounts, that type of thing. While some facts are the same, the attitudes are very different than what is portrayed in the block-buster Titanic movie!

This year, I am also determined to read 'Lord of the Rings'.

I'm reading Blood Done Sign My Name, a memoir by the son of a white desegregationist preacher who was active in the Civil Rights Movement around here. It's interesting to read about places where I've served churches, and how bad things were just 30 years ago.

I'm listening to Cahills' Mysteries of the Middle Ages. Good stuff.

And the family read-aloud is Peril and Peace by the Withrows.

Then I'm reading a bunch of things for school, but they're no fun.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'm reading The D Case: or The Truth About the Mystery of Edwin Drood.

It's a novel within a novel. Supposedly all the main characters in the world of detective fiction get together and dissect Dicken's novel while trying to come up with a solution to the missing ending. I'm finding it a little contrived but entertaining.

I have just discovered Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe" series. The Authors site lists fabulous nonfiction books to supplement his stories and fill in the history behind the books. http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index2_print.cfm?page=1&seriesid=1I am an addict already and that they are also on dvd with Sean Bean, 3 whole sets of them was the icing on the cake.

Having not read for just pure pleasure in some time, I am quite happy with these.

Also reading Homeschooling High School, by Jeanne Dennis, The Narnian, by Alan Jacobs, and Having a Mary Spirit by Joanna Weaver