Menu

Do you have the fall planned out yet? if so what are you doing?

KristineIN

We'll be doing MFW Rome to Reformation, I'll still be using Mammoth Math for my boys & probably Saxon 6/5 for dd. I really need to try & save money, so I might just use KISS grammar (anyone use it?) for grammar. I am using Considering God's Creation for science. Also Bible Study Guide for All Ages is what else I'm looking at. I know there's stuff I'm missing, but this is just my "start"

What do you have planned so far?

Kristine

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting everything together now. I'll have a first grader and a fourth grader next year.

My first grader will be using MFW First Grade with MUS, Explode the Code, and Handwriting Without Tears. His science will focus on nature study and biology.

My fourth grader will continue with MUS and Rod & Staff for Spelling and English. He will also be using The Mystery of History vol. 1 combined with Sonlight. Right now, I'm planning to use Sonlight's Science 3 - Intro. to Biology with him. But, I am going to pick up a copy of Christian Kids Explore Biology and see what I think about that. It is published by the same company as MOH and looks similiar in set-up. If I get the energy, I'm going to try to combine CKEB with SL to add a stronger Christian perspective. I really like the way the format of MOH and if CKEB is as much like it as I think it's going to be, it's going to be so much easier to implement and I can include my first grader in with it. He will continue with Prima Latina.

I'm really looking forward to next year. MOH has gotten me very eager to start early but we do have some other things we need to finish up.

We'll be doing MFW Rome to Reformation, I'll still be using Mammoth Math for my boys & probably Saxon 6/5 for dd. I really need to try & save money, so I might just use KISS grammar (anyone use it?) for grammar. I am using Considering God's Creation for science. Also Bible Study Guide for All Ages is what else I'm looking at. I know there's stuff I'm missing, but this is just my "start"

What do you have planned so far?

Kristine

rofl.gif

Um, that would be a no. I'm still getting a a groove for this year :eek:!

Yes, I think I have everything figured out! I will have a 2nd and 5th grader next year (just one year ahead of you, Donna!). I'm thinking of putting my

4th grader in Teaching Textbooks 5 next year (she's finishing up MUS Gamma right now). My 2nd grader is going to be starting Horizons, since he needs more variety and color than MUS. Both will be doing Sonlight Core 3 (we have LOVED Core 2 this year!) and Apologia Botany. Dd will continue with LLATL Orange (started it late) and ds will start LLATL Red. We use HWT for handwriting. OH--and dd will continue with Typing Instructor for Kids.

I think that's about it! :)

Not totally sure yet -- still pondering lots of things & making a list of items I'd like to see at the hs curriculum fair that's coming up....

Next year, we'll be doing 5th & 2nd. So far...

Math: MUS for both

Grammar: GWG for oldest; may use it w/ younger too (I'm trying FLL w/ him this year but it doesn't seem to be a great fit w/ him)

Handwriting: copywork/dictation for my oldest (she is finishing HWT's 5th grade/cursive book now); HWT w/ younger

Composition/Writing: still pondering -- considering IEW, maybe Classical Writing (Aesop B or Homer???), maybe Writing Tales -- sigh, I just don't know but it is something we need to address; younger is a natural storyteller, so I'll just work on narrations w/ him

Spelling: Sequential Spelling, probably

Reading: Just read & discuss, at this age/stage -- no real formal plans for this as far as a curriculum goes. Both of my kids are avid & strong readers.

History: SOTW 1 w/ both, adding in more for older student

Science: Not sure yet -- I've been looking over the WTM recs again, but I'm not a science person & I don't want to do it all myself. This is something were I so would appreciate an open & go curriculum.

Art/Music: Seriously considering Handle on the Arts.

Languages: Older takes outside, weekly Dutch class, so we'll continue that next year too. Maybe for younger. Also, I want to get back on track w/ Latin, so I'll probably get Lively Latin (to go along w/ our roots study that we're already doing w/ English from the Roots Up). Also considering adding Spanish too. Still looking at curriculum options for that.

Logic: Plan to implement for 5th grader a la WTM recs. Also, we try to do pencil puzzles, mind benders, and such (all of us) as a fun thing along w/ lunch a few times a week.

Geography: Trail Guide; we're already using this at our own (slow) pace, taking lots of time to find supplemental books, some short projects, etc.... So, we'll just continue. Whenever we finish world, we'll move on to the US geography book.

PE/Physical Activity: Older does horse-riding & may end up working/helping out at the stables some beginning in the fall. Not sure for younger as he's not as interested in things like this. They both spend lots of time outside playing, though. Would like to add in a very light 'health' text of some sort.

We also do quite a few field trips during the year. If the opportunity presents itself, we sometimes do art workshops or other (fairly short-term) classes.

I would also like to implement some longer-term projects for my 5th grader too, but I'm not sure where I'm going w/ that. Maybe pick 4 bigger projects through the year (perhaps one tied to history, one tied to science, one to art/music, and one to languages) that would require research (which I could help teach her how to start, how to organize, etc...), a paper of some sort, a visual presentation of some sort (poster or artwork), and ????

Yikes. That seems like a lot when I type it all out! I think I'll need a lot of diet coke & chocolate to get through the year, lol. In fact, I may need some now, just pondering all this. ;)

Yes, I think I have next year mostly planned out:

7th grader:

R&S Artpac 7

R&S Grammar 7

R&S Spelling 7

R&S Math 8

New Testament Greek for Beginners

Wheelock's IA and/or Lingua Latina (still thinking about this one)

Omnibus I (covers history, literature, & Bible)

CW Homer B & Beg Poetry B

He likes science, so I'm going to get Zoology III, but I'm not sure if I'm going to schedule it or just let him read on his own. I'm leaning toward the latter.

6th Grader:

R&S Artpac 6

R&S Bible 6

R&S Grammar 6

R&S Spelling 6

R&S Math 6

New Testament Greek for Beginners

Wheelock's IA and/or Lingua Latina (still thinking about this one)

Streams of Civilization (Middle Ages)

Zoology I & II

CW Homer B & Beg Poetry B

1st grader:

R&S Artpac 1

R&S Reading 1

R&S Math 2

R&S Music 1

R&S Patterns of Nature

SOTW II (Middle Ages)

FLL

For Laura in China: We do PE as a family in the evenings.

We have our plans made and I am slowly collecting the materials. I am trying to save some money by browsing the swap board and sales then I will just pick up the rest by June. We will have K5, 5, and 6 here. Here's our list:

K5

RS math A

OPGTR

copywork but not sure what yet

lots of read alouds to cover other subject areas

5th

RS math E

Lively Latin

WT 2

VP middle ages and lit guides

informal science

6th

Latin in the Christian Trivium

RS Geometry and VT Algebra

Homer A

Elementary Greek 1

VP middle ages and lit guides

informal science

Well, I have it *mostly* planned out. We'll be doing 4th grade.

Historical Overview

US History -- begining with Age of Exploration

History

We've had such a magnificent time reading our way through history so far that we're not willing to give that up. However, we want to add a spine for US History. I'm looking at two different spines and trying to decide. I may even use the DYOCC suggestions/lesson plans. So, we have a spine and oodles and oddles of literature and projects. I LOVE history!

Religion

Still using Sacred Scripture, of course!

Still using St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism

Adding Bible History

Still reading various lives and histories of the saints -- changing focus to those associated with our historical overview (plus others, naturally!)

Latin

Still using Latin for Children

Still going to Latin Chant class

Still using various Latin readers we enjoy

Math

Still going with Singapore

Grammar

When we moved into 4th grade English in January, I let my scholar choose Shurley English. I like it b/c it is an intensive English program and I feel she's getting a very sound education in English Grammar. She likes it for the jingles and the games/activities. On the other hand, it lacks, utterly lacks, any kind of beauty. I know, I know . . . and yet that is very important to us. We'll finish up the fourth grade book somewhere around Christmas and I'll decide then if we'll go back or stay with Shurley again.

Writing

I'll be leading an IEW/guided reading workshop next year. Well, I'll be offering it (free but you byom) anyway. The plan is start out with recess/lunch, then IEW, break, book club type discussion of the literature we're reading for US History, activity corresponding to the book/discussion. This year I'm leading a book club but it's just good literature in general. Next year it will be connected to History.

Literature

see above

Science

Undecided -- I'd love something that would dove-tail with our History but I don't know . . . we'll just have to see. I'd love any ideas!

Music

Continue Violin lessons

Period music re our historical overview

P.E.

Continue Tae Kwon Do

Yes for first grader, No for 5yo preschooler-

First Grader - Covenant Home First Grade, Hey Andrew Levels 1 and 2 and Discovering Great Artists

5yo Preschooler (could be ready for some reading)- Can't decide between CHC pre-K, MFW K, or Horizons Pre-K. Ruled out LHTH, Abeka K4, and several other preschool/gentle K programs though!

3rd Grade Curricula

Bible - Explorer's Bible Study, Discovery: Genesis

Math - Horizons 3 (continuing)

Phonics/Spelling- Explode the Code: Book 7 & 8 then start Simply Spelling

Primary Language Lessons by Lingua Mater (Continuing- includes picture study, narrations, dictation, grammar, punctuation, usage, copywork, etc.)

Writing- Writing Tales 1

Ăƒâ€°coutez, Parlez! French Oral Program, continuing

History/Geography/Literature - Tapestry of Grace Year 3 Redesign

Science

Building Critical Thinking Skills Level 1 (might wait until January)

Art- Drawing with Children

I will sit down and prepare a plan of attack probably after we move in June (we're 90% sure we're moving). Our 3rd grade (and preschool for 4yo) will start in September so we have time. This is a HUGE change from a year ago when I was already busy creating lesson plans for 2nd grade at this time while working on 1st grade, I feel I've found better products and goals to suit us.

Gotta love growth!

12th:

BJU pre-calc

Apologia Advanced Chemistry

Writing at the CC

Literature-assigned various books

Intro to Criminal Justice at the CC

SOS Spanish II

10th:

Saxon Algebra II

BJU Chemistry

IEW SWI C

BJU Writing & Grammar 10

Notgrass Exploring World History & Literature

SOS SPanish II

Henle II

CAP

8th:

BJU Pre-Algebra

BJU Earth & Space Science

BJU Writing & Grammar 8 & TOG writing

Apples Daily Spelling II

TOG Year 1 redesign & literature

Latina Christiana II

Elementary Greek I

The Thinking Toolbox

Atelier Art 6

Piano

CAP

Theater

7th:

BJU Pre-Algebra

BJU Life Science

BJU Writing & Grammar 7 & TOG writing

SWR

Latina Christiana II

Elementary Greek I

The Fallacy Detective

Atelier Art 6

Music Ace

CAP

5th:

BJU Math 5

BJU Science 5

BJU English 5 & TOG writing

SWR

Latina Christiana II

Elementary Greek I

Mind Benders

Atelier Art 6

Music Ace

3rd:

BJU Math 3

BJU Science 3

BJU English 2

ETC 2 & 3

SWB's Writing With Ease

SWR-Maybe BJU Phonics/reading/spelling 1 and not english 2

Atelier Art 6

Music Ace

K:

BJU K5 Beginnings

BJU K5 math

3 yo:

BJU K4 just watching for fun

Preschool activites boxes I am going to make up for school time

I am looking for something we can do as a family for Bible, other than just reading the Bible. Any recommendations?

For Fall...

8th'er will be doing:

Christian Studies: Bible reading/devotionals/study guides

Math: Chalkdust Alg

Latin: Henle 1 w/ local tutor and/or online class, Lingua Latina for reading

Greek: Biblical, and very "lite"

Lit/History/Theology/Writing: Omnibus 1 online class

Science: Apologia Physical

Grammar: AG

World Geo: Trail Guide

Music: Guitar lessons/worship team at church

Logic: Thinking Toolbox

PE: various sports activities

Community Service/Ministry: teach Sunday School, worship team

6th'er will be doing:

Christian Studies: Bible reading/devotionals/study guides

Math: TT7, Singapore CWP

Latin: Henle 1 w/ local tutor and/or online class, Lingua Latina for reading

Lit: Omnibus 1 "lite" w/ big brother

Writing: possibly SWB's new program

History: Teaching Company dvd's w/ lots of books

Grammar: AG

World Geo: Trail Guide

Music: Piano lessons

Art: local class

Logic: Fallacy Detective

Science: finish Exploration Education

Drama: Christian Youth Theater

PE: various sports activities

Community Service/Ministry: help teach Sunday School for age 2-3

Possibly Greek w/ big brother

Typing Instructor

The preschooler likes to "do school" with us occasionally. This is what we will use gently with her for the next few years.

Singapore Early Bird Math

Right Start Level A

Handwriting Without Tears Pre-K

Earlybird Start-Up Science

For second grade:

Daily

BJU Math finish 2 and start 3

Sonlight Grade 3-5 Readers

Lively Latin

3 Times a week

Writing With Ease

First Language Lessons 3

2 Times a Week

TOG Year 2 Units 1 and 2 at half pace

Sonlight Level 2 Science DVDs and kit

Artistic Pursuits

My oldest will be away for his first year of college. It will be my first year with just the two girls. :(

Pretty much,

5th

Horizons Math

Tog year 1

Science (at co-op)

TOG year 1 redesign (for history and lit)

MFW Geography (at co-op)

Latin Prep 1

CW Homer A/B

Spanish

Art lessons (out-sourced)

Piano lessons

3rd Grade

Horizons Math

Tog year 1

Science (at co-op)

TOG year 1 redesign (for history and lit)

MFW Geography (at co-op)

Lively Latin or Latin for Children

Finish WT 1 and begin WT 2

Spanish

Art

Piano

K

read to me

some boxed K program

Horizons K

Spanish

Art lessons

Piano lessons

pre-school

try to keep him out of trouble and occupied

4th grade DD:

SWO F and G (probably first half)

R&S 4 grammar

CW Aesop (finish) and CW Poetry for Beginners

Continue dictation (mainly to work on fine motor skills)

SM 4A and 4B

Latin for Children A

Piano lessons

Classical Kids and Masters of Classical Music

2nd grade DD:

SWO D, maybe part of E

Mom modified version of FLL

SM 2B and 3A

copywork

Piano lessons

Classical Kids

Both:

TruthQuest AHYS 2 and 3

our own geography program

poetry and Bible memorization

PreK DS

Phonics Pathways

Counting a la WTM K

Our own geography based reading program

Still to be decided:

science

art

Bible time

maybe Spanish??

We school year-round but here is the plan beginning around August '08:

5th

Saxon 6/5 (finish) begin Saxon 7/6

Singapore PM 4 (finish) begin Singapore PM 5

Lively Latin 2 (maybe begin Latin Prep 2)

Calvert Spelling CD 4 (finish) begin CD 5

Michael C. Thompson LA - finish level 2 books, begin level 3

Classical Writing - Homer

Daily Reading from List

Great Books Academy Socratic Discussions Grade 5

Live Ed - unit studies for all other subjects

Karate

3rd

Saxon 3 (finish) begin Saxon 5/4

Singapore PM 2 (finish) begin Singapore PM 3

Lively Latin 2

Calvert Spelling CD 3 (finish) begin CD 4

FLL 3 (finish) begin Michael C. Thompson LA Level 1

Classical Writing - Aesop A

Daily Copywork

Daily Reading from List

Great Books Academy Socratic Discussions Grade 3

Live Ed - unit studies for all other subjects

Karate

K

Saxon K (finish) begin Saxon 1

Hooked on Phonics

Daily Copywork

Daily Reading from List

Live Ed - unit studies

Karate

* I would like to add violin or piano, but the time commitment and expense has thus far dissuaded me. The kids are interested, but none of them seem to have a passion for music.

7th

Not really certain about all of this..but this is what I'm thinking:

math: BJU Pre-Algebra

science: Classical Science: Signs & Seasons

history: Beautiful Feet Early American & World History Jr. High Guide

literature: fantasy, science fiction, and horror: classics and more modern reads (plus historical fiction)

writing: IEW

for fun: Winter Promise Sea & Sky w/ Older Learner's Guide

Not sure yet about:

Latin (may not do this until high school)

logic (may save this until high school too)

or grammar (probably R&S 6)

7th grade next year:

Physical Geography -Runkles

Civics -?? I got some ideas, nothing nailed down, and I'm open to suggestions

Logic - Mathematical Logic by Patrick Suppes

Latin - Henle

Science - Singapore

Philosophy - Lipman

Math - finish algebra I and then geometry...still deciding between Moise and Downs and Kiselev. I've got both I will personally have to do all the problems in Kiselev to know if it will be too difficult or not and I'm not looking forward to that task.

Spelling - remedial, nothing exciting here.

2&3rd grade: ETC, MCP phonics, Sing math, sing science, Easy Grammar, Minimus, STOW.

I need to figure out what levels and components of SWB's writing program correspond to what grades and if what corresponds to the 7th grade will be out by next fall.

Yes, I do.

1st grade

Language Arts--SWR phonograms, Fairy Tales, copywork, possibly Rod and Staff reading 1

Math--Singapore Earlybird 2b

3rd grade

Language Arts

Spelling--WISE Guide (SWR Lists) with worksheets I am making up

Grammar--Ruth Heller Books with worksheets I am making up and KISS grade 2, Minimus Latin

Composition--narrative exercises from the progymnasmata

Math--Singapore 3b

Science--My Pals are Here 4b, A World Full of Homes (we will be doing a study of how people live)

History--not sure right what we will be doing in the fall, right now we are taking things as they come we may go back to SOTW and pick up back in the middle ages.

Math - finish Dolciani pre-algebra and move into algebra I, text to be determined.

Latin - Continue with Galore Park Latin Prep series, and Lingua Latina

Greek - most likely Elementary Greek

Writing/Grammar - Classical Writing Homer B, possibly getting to Diogenes near the end of the year.

History - Early Modern, probably pretty freeform, *maybe* using History Odyssey, but likely not. We're planning to read "Common Sense" this year.

Literature - Have not decided yet. We may try tackling the Iliad this year. We may stick with early modern literature, but throw in Antigone. Don't know.

Science - A little Singapore Interactive Science, Lego League, programming, and Boy Scout merit badge activities.

We might also try out Art of Argument, and delve into some philosophy; we'll continue piano lessons; I hope to fit in Artistic Pursuits, somewhere.

I'm finally pulling my head out of this whole *grade level* frame of mind, which isn't working for my fall birthday girls!! So, I'm just taking each book as it comes, when we finish a book, we move on to the next...So with that in mind...(Not set in stone)

Bible/History/Literature: Sonlight Core 2 or SOTW 2 (undecided)

7-turning-8yo:

Developmental Math, start level 6 or 7

Spelling Workout, finish B, start on C

Handwriting Without Tears Cursive

Grammar - Evan-Moor Grammar & Punctuation or Spectrum LA 3?

Writing - dd is writing phobic, so I'm just trying to slowly get her over this hurdle. Copywork/Dictation? Small assignments?

5-turning-6yo:

Math - just now finishing BJU K Math. May go on to BJU 1, or switch to Developmental Math levels 1, 2, & 3.

Explode the Code - books 3, 4?, & 5?

Reading - Teach Your Child to Read with Children's Books booklists

Handwriting - Handwriting Without Tears 1st gr

Write About Me (pre-Just Write series), do just for fun.

This is our plan for 6th

TOG 1 Redesigned Dilectic (History, Literature, Geography, Bible)

Discover 4 Yourself How to Study your Bible when not doing bible with TOG

IEW Ancient History writing lessons

Latin Prep I

Science Sonlight 4

We are not doing grammar next year since we did a 6th grade grammar this year. We will concentrate on writing and Latin.

The only thing I'm not sure of is Math. Sill trying to decide between Teaching Textbooks and Video Text for Pre-algebra. She will be young for pre-algebra. I will be looking at both of these at CHAP conference and I will also be looking at Analytical Grammar.

Janis in DE

Math: MUS

Science: maybe Easy Classical 2nd grade schedule(earth science/astronomy)

Bible: attend Awana's, Big Truths for Little Kids

Music: piano lessons

Latin: Prima Latina

History: SOTW Ancients

Language Arts 2nd: FLL2, the new WWE program, HWT:cursive, ETC(6,7,8), daily reading

Language Arts 1st: FLL1, new WWE program, HWT grade 2 & MP copybook, ETC(4,5,6), use OPG to reinforce phonics rules, lots of reading

and what I have figured out so far........

Math - TT Algerbra I

Science - Apologia Physical Science

English - R&S English 8 (just went on sale, yippee)

Logic - art of argument

Latin - LC 2

Classical vocab b&c

Jump in writing

Photography

Taekwondo and soccer

literature reading ala WTM

Bible study

who knows what co-op and additional studies/fun stuff we will find in VA:)

undecided on history:(

I will have a 3rd geader and a 1st grader. I ordered everything over this past weekend (cannot wait unril it all arrives:))

Math: Singapore PM4 and PM1

Science: NEOE science, Chemistry I

History: Winterpromise American History I and SOTW 3

L A: Winterpromise readers for 1st and 2nd grades to go along with their history theme.

Reading: Pathway readers and workbooks, OPG, and parts of SSRW.

German: more Muzzy and Rosetta Stone.

Art: Adventures in Art

K5 year -

Bible - Bible story book (haven't picked one yet) and Leading Little Ones to God

French - Easy French Junior and hoping to enroll in classes through our local hs group.

Reading - continue with OPG and ETC

Math - Right Start A/B

Geography - planning out lessons right now

Science - Sonlight (not the full curriculum) - dvd and kits to do the experiments.

Plus lots of read-alouds and arts and crafts things.

I am doing MFW Explorers to 1850, MUS/Singapore, IEW SWI B, Latina Christiana, FLL4, FLL and Analytical Grammar for various ages, plus MFW 1st grade for my 6 yr old

We may be participating in a coop for Spanish and Art. They also take piano lessons, play soccer and baseball.

History/Lit/Bible: Using Sonlight Core 7, although we won't be quite done Core 6 when the school year begins. Probably the first 4-6 weeks will be spent finishing this "year" off.

Grammar: Jensen's

Spelling: a combination of the Scripps spelling bee site and a Hexco product, haven't nailed that down yet (she studies for the regional bee each year)

Writing: Wordsmith

Vocabulary: Vocab from Classical Roots C and D

Math: Not quite nailed down, but I'm thinking of using Jacob's Algebra and switch in and out of that and Mathematics; a Human Endeavor, also by jacobs. She's finishing Singapore 6B this year, but since she's young, I don't want to plow too fast through the Algebra until I see what kind of feel she's having for it. We also do math olympiad.

Science: Apologia Physical Science

Latin: Henle Units III-IV

Logic: The Thinking Toolbox, I think. Again, don't want to start anything too formal yet, because of her age, and we've both enjoyed Fallacy Detective this year.

Music: Violin lessons, orchestra

I'm considering starting Greek this year, and I've been trolling here, trying to get a feel for what you all are using. Thinking of the Alphabetarian/Huppa....thing, still trying to remember the word for that copybook!! But wondering now about Elementary Greek. So I'll have to see. She kind of plays with Rosetta German (dh is German, and it lets her practice a little), and we've been woefully lax the last two years with French, and it really is necessary here. But that would be terribly language heavy...so I'm not sure what to do with all that. Any input would be appreciated.

Second grader:

Bob Jones Math 2

WinterPromise LA2

WinterPromise American Story 1

WinterPromise World Around Me Science

God Made Music 2

How Great Thou Art (Art)

WinterPromise Chess: A Knight's First Moves

K4 student:

Rod and Staff ABC Preschool as desired

WinterPromise I'm Ready to Learn

Oh, and just because I want to: Galloping the Globe for fun and giggles whenever we feel like it.

Looking at my list, thanks to Core-Curriculum and Frank, this is what I think I've settled on.. I've technically got a 7th, 10th and 11th grader, but ALL will be doing 11th grade work.

Math: Walsh Power Basics Geometry, Globe/Fearon Consumer Math/and Carson's Algebra workbook for touch ups

Grammar/Handwriting/Composition/Writing/Spelling/Reading: All in one with EMC's Literature program

History: Jarret's Mastering US History w/ US World Map Skills Wkbk

Science: Cambridge's Co-Ordinated General Science

Art/Music: Barbara Shannon's Exploring Art Media

Languages: Powerglide Audio French 1

PE/Physical Activity: I run/coach a Homeschool Bowling League, so this will continue.

Health: Life Skills by AGS

That's about it..

I've heard good things about KISS and from what I've seen at the website, it looks very sound. There's also a free, online math curriculum that I have saved to my favorites list (if you want more online stuff).....

I'm working on mine! I've scheduled out my Singapore math, but haven't bought MUS yet.

I've scheduled out Spelling Workout and have added in various word study, dictionary skills, outlining and other little things to that time period, as well.

I know that I'm using Memoria Press Christian Studies again; Abeka B; Getty Dubay F (I think), but I haven't bought those yet.

I have my science and history/lit/reading scheduled, but I'm looking for more books related to ancients for my son to read himself. I have some lists; I just need to pull them out and go through them...... We're covering mythology so heavily next year that I think I'm going to participate in the National Mythology Exam......

I purchased stuff for art appreciation and I already own stuff for music (now how to fit those in, LOL!)

I have received and scheduled out Espanol Para Chicos y Grandes for our Spanish work. I'm leaning toward Lively Latin, but I'd prefer a book to printing out all that stuff myself. But I can't contact the company, for some reason! I keep getting a message that my server can't connect to theirs (been trying since Christmas)..... So, I may end up going back to Latin Primer if I can't reach them.....

I ordered both WriteShop Apprentice (I think that's the name, LOL) and Writing Strands. I've scheduled out the Write Shop and together with some other things I have for writing, I think that may carry me through the year. So maybe I'll wait until after that to start WS. I'm not sure why I'm hesitant about doing it with this younger son; just don't feel it's going to fly with him......

I've scheduled out a geography study using the BF guide along with Minn and Paddle (and some other book(s) to fill in a few states that don't get covered by those). I'm doing it M,W,F and Logic on T,R. I'm using Mind Benders for logic and have those scheduled.

SO, I'm gettin' there!

Regena

I'm a little focused on my upcoming 7th grader right now. But I really do have three other kids I'll be teaching in the fall, as well:

5th grade:

Math - Finish Right Start Level E, move full-time into Singapore 4A/B

Latin - Continue with Galore Park Latin Prep.

Greek - Begin Greek, probably with Elementary Greek.

Writing/Grammar - Classical Writing Homer A.

History - Early modern history w/Story of the World, possibly re-reading Famous Men of Rome and D'Aulaire's.

Literature - we'll see. Planned books include Johnny Tremain and possibly The Witch of Blackbird Pond, and certainly more Little House.

Science - interest-led, or tagging along with his brother's Singapore Interactive Science, and Webelos Scout badges.

2nd Grade

Math - Continue Right Start B, moving into C whenever we get there.

Phonics/Spelling - Phonics Pathways/All About Spelling

Grammar - First Language Lessons 2

Handwriting - We're going to try Getty-Dubay Italic

History - Early Modern w/SOTW

Science - Nature studies and interest-led

Literature - Greek and Roman myths, fairy tales, tales of American heroes

1st Grade

Math - Continue in Right Start B (he's about 45 lessons behind his brother)

Phonics/Spelling - Phonics Pathways/All About Spelling

Grammar - First Language Lessons 1

Everything else is the same as for 2nd grade, above.

I have a 2nd grader and 1st grader working on the same level in everything but math, she's .5 a level behind him. And a Pre-K/K4 tag along. :)

Math

Horizons 2 for ds, Horizons 1.5, then 2 for dd

Latin

Finish Prima Latina, start Latina Christiana and Minimus for a fun extra

English

Copywork--Memoria Press Copybooks, various copy selections

Spelling--I may use one of the Spelling through Copywork books from Queen Homeschool

Narration--various literature and history selections

Handwriting--begin a cursive program and use copywork to practice

History/Geography

We're doing a year overview of American History. I have TruthQuest guides, This Country of Ours, D'Aulaire biographies and a great library. We'll read a couple of Holling C. Holling books for geography.

Literature

Ambleside Year 2 recommendations, fairy tales, myths, "Good Books" lists, both read alouds and independent reading

Everything else

I use Ambleside for hymns, poetry, composers, artists, Shakespeare, Plutarch, some nature studies

Bible and Catechism

We're using Studying God's Word right now and it's going well. We also learn verses and catechism for our memory time. I may start "Training Hearts, Teaching Minds" with them, we'll see.

Is that everything? :) We'll continue violin lessons, private and group, ballet, soccer, maybe add in a weekly PE class. Dh teaches art skills on Saturdays, when they remind him. ;)

For the PreK/K4 year old: I'll start OPG with her and work on teaching her to read. I have Kumon books and pre-ETC books for her that she's already working on. Basically I'll aim to have her reading a bit, writing numbers to 20, writing upper and lower case letters by the end of the year. If we don't get there that's fine too, but she's ready to go as far as I can see!

And then lots and lots of creative play and mucking about in the backyard. And maybe learning about babies and a little human anatomy if we find ourselves with a 4th on the way sometime in the next year.

Jami

For grade 7:

Math: Prof B level 3

French: The Easy French, Rosetta Stone

Spanish: Spanish in 10 Minutes a Day, Rosetta Stone, The spanish version of Ecoutez! Parlez! (forget the title of it)

History: SOTW 3, Kingfischer, librarby resources

Latin: Latina Christiana 1

Logic: ?? No idea yet

Writing: Writing Strands 4, 5

Reading: Ambleside Online suggestions, others we come across that are suitable. We only use AO for literature suggestions.

Science: too many to list... a combination of resources from teacher supply stores, organizations (we have one on sugar from a sugar company that dd wants to use), library. We don't do science the way TWTM suggests.

Grammar: Analytical Grammar

I'm probably missing something, but that's what I'm thinking right now.

Joyce.

Both children will do Rod and Staff math-grade 2 and 7.7th grader will also do Key to Math Ratios.Possibly metric too.

LA;7th grader will do R&S 7th grade,Wordly Wise,and she wants to do Bravewriter.I plan to have her read the books recommended on TWTM middle ages reading list.2nd grader will do ETC,FLL, and the new writing program when it comes out.

History: Both will do SOTW 2.Older child will also do Famous Men books for Middle Ages and Renaissance.Younger will do Sonlight Core 2 books.

Science:younger child will do Sonlight Science 1.

There are things I haven't quite decided on-reading for both,science for older dd,spelling for younger,latin,french or spanish.Art,music.I have ideas but nothing definite yet.

We start a new year in May. Here is what I have planned:

6th grade ds :

Math- Saxon 7/6

LA- Writing tales 2 with Sonlight Grammar Ace

History- MOH & SOTW 1

Literature- various books- some from Core 6

Science- Apologia Zoology flying creatures and nature study

Sign Language

Guitar and Violin

Bible- Old Testament study

Logic- ? I had planned on doing Building thinking Skills book 3- but Rainbow resource has it listed as OOP.

English from the roots up

4th grade dd

Math - Saxon 5/4

Same as above adjusted to her level- adding in Miller books.

2nd grade dd-

Same as above

Exploring Mathematics grade 2

FIAR

k dd

Reading Made Easy

FIAR/Homeschool share

Miller stories

Various reading

Funtastic frogs

I think that is it, but I am sure I am forgetting something. ;)

For my dd for K I will do R&S Grade 1 and then Singapore 1A. I plan on starting the R&S in a month or two and it seems to be a good fit for now. I have no plan for phonics and reading- I am just following her lead for now. She has really taken off in reading and "plans" are not working for us. I plan on using 5 IN A ROW and HSS units for literature, science, geography and everything else. We wil also use Italics A.

For my dd for 6th here is what I have planned:

Math: R&S Grade 6

French: First Start French and on to volume 2

Latin: Latin Book 1

starting a copybook

Grammar: Voyages in English 6 (the grammar section only)

Composition: Intermediate Language Lessons and to finish Writing Tales 2

Spelling and dictation

Bible: finish Golden Children's Bible

Science: Great Inventors and their Inventions

History spines: Child's History of the World, This Country of Ours and Our Island Story.

The rest I have divided by semester

Semester 1

History of Painting (set with lessons from Calvert)

Composer: Haydn

Poetry: "Paul Revere's Ride" and others from Harp and Laurel Wreath

Literature: Irving-Legend Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle

Famous Norse Myths

Hobbit

Geography: Paddle to the Sea with maps

History supplement: Johnny Tremain

Abe Lincoln Grows Up

Semester 2

Art: Monet

Watercolor kit

Poetry: Tennyson

Literature: Anne of Green Gables

Knights of the Round Table (Pyle)

Geography: Minn of Mississippi

History supplement: In Days of Queen Victoria

I have really tried to cut back on the number of books and allow us to focus more on our readings. I've felt lately that when we have too many we just read them to finish them. I am hoping to really use carefully chosen books (based on where we are in history, what she would enjoy, some of the classic "must reads", etc.) to help us savor the writing and have more discussions. We haven't been following up with narrations either. I comfort myself by saying "less is more" and if we finish all these we can always add more.!!!

HTH

I am not sure what sparked me to go ahead and get my act together for next year, but this is what we have for 5th grade:

Latin: Probably continue with Latin Prep or whatever her teacher, Abbeyj, decides to do!

Math: Sinapore 5B/6A...maybe to 6B

Science: Noeo Biology II

Grammar: I think Growing with Grammar...but she has complained so much about grammar lately...I "might" be persuaded to look at something else. But probably not :-)

Spelling: Spelling Workout F

History: Here is where my quandries are! I have History Odyssey (Ancients II)...but I am rather underwhelmed. I am looking at TOG; possibly using HO and supplementing; and lately I have been hearing a huge buzz about History at Our House. Anyone here use it??

Writing: I think we'll use IEW with the Ancient history writing...but I want to see it before I commit.

Logic: Another I am not sure of...probably Mindbenders or something from Dandy Lion logic...

Art and PE: using classes through homeschool group

Next year will be my first homeschooling! So I've been planning and tweaking and ordering for a few weeks now.

I'm still betwixt and between on some choices...

Latin: Latina Christiana

Math: Singapore Math (or Saxon?)

Grammar: R&S 6 (or Michael Thomas' Grammar?)

Writing: Classical Writing

French: First Start French

Those are our basics. Extras will be...

History: Reading through Kingfisher History

Reading: WTM history-linked reading list

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise

Art: Toss-up between R&S ArtPac & ArtAdventures at Home

Music: We'll be doing 9 weeks each on representative masterpieces: opera, ballet, composers, and folk songs

I'm firming up plans for dd as follows:

CW Aesop B

Harvey's grammar

Developmental Math

Christian Studies II

Elson's Reader

Christian Kids Explore Earth and Space

MOH 2

How to Teach Art to Children

Vocabulary Bridges (I think, not sure)

Not sure what to do about logic or foreign language. We did Matin Latin but took a year off of foreign language this year. Not sure if I want to attempt Greek or something else. Also, not sure what to use for logic.

Music class

Sewing class

I am working on something for PE. Money and time are huge factors in that one.

We officially start our new school year in July, but we're in an awkward in-between place now because we've finished almost all of the curriculum I'd planned for this year. I don't really want to start a whole new school year at this point, so we're using a lot of stop-gap and transitional materials, including things I will use into next year.

But that's not what you asked, was it? ;)

Here are our plans for 2nd grade:

Daily Subjects

Latin: Lingua Latina (we're beginning this now)

Math: Singapore Math 2A/2B (beginning in a few weeks)

Composition: CW Aesop A

Weekly Subjects

Literature: fables, fairy tales, and folk tales, coordinated with CW

Geography: Evan-Moor Geography Units, possibly Africa to coordinate with...

History: Ancient Israel and Egypt to coordinate with...

Religion: MP Christian Studies I

Science: Experiments (beginning this quarter, as soon as the book arrives :))

Bible

Read One Year Bible in New Living Translation

Memorize 1 chapter of Scripture each term

Math

CLE - we are loving this curriculum and will continue with it

Spanish

United Streaming Spanish

English

Copywork/Dictation - may buy the Sonlight activity pages, or simply copy selections of choice from history, literature & Bible

Spelling - Calvert CDROM or MegaWords - not totally sure

CLE English - another big hit for us from CLE! Will supplement with a couple of online writing courses, probably from Home2Teach

History/Geography

TruthQuest AHYS III

Trail Guide

Science

Oak Meadow Basic Earth Science syllabus with library books, United Streaming videos

Literature

Ambleside Year 4 and 5

Music, Fine Arts

Ambleside for poetry, composers, artists, Shakespeare, Plutarch

I don't really have anything to plan since my TQ is already planned and I'm using Oak Meadow for science this year. I'm pretty much ready to go!

Ds 7th grade will be using

Chalkdust Pre-Algebra

R&S Grammar

Spelling Workout

Apologia General Science

Geography(Trail Guide)

IEW

Typing

Guitar

Latin for Children A and B

Lightning Literature 7

Dd 5th grade will be using

Abeka Math

Sonlight Science

Spelling Workout

Geography(Trail Guide)

IEW

Typing

R&S Grammar

Latin for Children finish up A and start B

Piano

LLATL just for the Literature part

I think that's it.

Little guy (no particular grade, he is my special guy and we just mosey along at his pace)

English-First Language Lessons (side note, we have started this and I just have to say it is an excellent fit for my special needs guy!)

Penmanship-Startwrite

Math-Horizons and MEP, Rightstart games

History-bits and pieces of SOTW 4(there are just parts of that time period that he can wait and learn about later, when he is older and more mature)

Science-Magic Schoolbus and whatever whiz-bang experiments I can amaze him with, probably some Holy Cow Science and some Science in a Nutshell stuff.

Doodlebug (5th grade---where has the time gone, she can't really be going into 5th grade, can she?)

English Rod and Staff 5, IEW, Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Penmanship Startwrite

Math Horizons, MEP, Rightstart games

History SOTW 4

Science ???

Gabriel (8th grade)

English Rod and Staff 8, IEW, Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Math Teaching Textbooks alg 1, MEP, Aleks

Science Apologia physical science

History SOTW 4

I really want to try again to do Latin. I may add a geography course to the two olders as well. I will probably add some other things as well, this a pretty early listing.