Menu

would you send your child to the classical school, if...

We don't have one even remotely close enough to consider, but if there was one close, I would consider it for academic reasons. It would have to be a Christian classical school.

The only reason I would hesitate would be how much time a school would take away from our family. The dc would be in school all day then probably have activities in the evening. Dh works many evenings and weekends, so a M-F, 8-4 school schedule would cramp our family life.

A former student and I discussed starting one close to our hometown. I can't commit to it, though, because I need to be available should my parents require long term assistance in the future.

Yes, I would consider especially if my child has an inclination towards music. But may be for part time only because I still want my child to attend regular school and the classical school would have to be for extra curricular activities only.

I would 3 of my girls, and for my 9 year old - only if it could cater to a child with Asperger's. That is the #1 reason we home school right now. If not for that, she would be in regular school, and we would just be after-schooling them to get what they are missing, or to correct some of the bull they hear in school.

We sent our youngest two girls to a fabulous Montessori school 2 years ago. It was the best school year either of them had. But it was too far away - plus I had lost my job, and couldn't afford to send them the next year.

While not technically "classical", it was a REAL Montessori school, and in my opinion, did a great job with making sure the kids were learning the right things at the right time.

Probably not, because it would probably be Christian and have a heap of values and ideas I wouldn't agree with. I went to a reasonably Classical school myself and I sure didn't like it and its not where I would put my kids :)

I think I would seriously consider a school that did the IB though- IF it was reasonably close, and affordable. we have them in my city, but neither close nor affordable.

I'd consider IB too Peela... but same here; neither close nor affordable :(

If we could afford a good private school I would send J regardless of whether it was classical or not. I think there are things about school that would work well for him.

For C I'm not sure. I think he is best at home.

With M... don't know yet. Too soon to tell.

No, not if I have anything to do with it. Academics are a small part of why we homeschool. That said, we don't take them lightly or have low expectations. Character and biblical training are the primary reasons we homeschool - and I don't think any school (classical or otherwise) could do the job as well as a dedicated mom and dad.

Yes, but I'd have to examine the school carefully. If it were Christian I'd really want to look at what they were teaching science-wise. I'd also want to see what they were teaching as values, particularly how they treat the girls (there's a classical school nearby that seems to have a strong academic focus, but just reading their code of conduct it really seemed girls were considered problems). IRL most people would consider my values conservative, but here I think I'd be considered quite liberal. It would be nice to find a Christian school I could afford that was not extreme to me. I don't want my dd taught she is secondary in society. I'd want music and art and a modern language in addition to Latin.

My oldest is in an IB program based at a public high school. I really like the IB academic standards and it is a good fit for my son. We'll see what we decide about high school for dd in a few years.

I think it's hard to find any "school" that perfectly matches what you'd want socially, morally, academically. If you choose school you have to make compromises and decide what things you value most and what you will sacrifice.

I'm seriously considering it. There are several excellent classical prep schools in the area, Tempe Preparatory Academy and the Great Hearts Academies. However, only one starts sooner than 6th grade, and that's too far away to be practical, plus doesn't start until 3rd and we're just starting first.

The only drawback to the curriculum I've seen is that they use Saxon math, which is the only curriculum in any subject DH had any say on...to hopefully spare DD the drudging misery he found it to be when he was in public school.

It is a definite possiblity for when DD is a bit older, though. Since they're public charter schools, it's not likely to cost more (in uniforms, book fees, fundraisers, etc.) than curriculum for homeschooling would.

Right now, there aren't any where I live, so it's a moot point. If there was one, I'd only consider it if the science was solid. Apologia, BJU or Abeka would be absolute deal-breakers for me. OTOH, dd might well attend the ps's IB program in hs, but we're doing 1st grade so this is FAR in the future. Education is changing so rapidly that I'm sure there will be far more online opportunities in the next 5 to 10 years. By then, b&m school might seem completely anachronistic to my kids.

I'd only consider if me or my spouse were no longer around. There are none near us anyway. There is one near my parents, who would ds' guardian should anything happen to both of us.

For now I believe my son learns best in a 1-to-1 learning environment. I don't see that changing.

I would consider it, but it would depend a lot. It would have to be awfully good. It's not going to happen anyway, though--there is no classical school anywhere around here that I know of. There might be one in Sacramento, maybe? That's two hours away.

I have time to state my reasons now:). We're finishing up our 18th year of homeschooling and will graduate our 2nd tommorow. While I definitely see the benefits of homeschooling I've also seen the down-side. We've had a really difficult time finding other like-minded homeschoolers, so the hard academic stuff (for me) has been a real pain in the patooey. My kids rock at what I do well and are really average and what I'm bad at. My dh is tutoring math this year and will take over science too, but this is the first time he's been able to do that time wise. We haven't had access to tutors and couldn't afford the private school p.t. tuition and fees. Also, the activities available for older students has been limited. What we've participated in we've created for the most part and it's been exhausting work, at times. I've homeschooled, worked p.t. on and off and been state co of TeenPact, led class-days, created weekend seminars, directed and coordinated plays and drama camps, worked on campaigns etc. etc. All fulfilling, yes and of benefit, definitely, but often my littles have gotten the short end of the stick and frankly there have been several times when I've just been exhausted. The thought of sharing some of the load seems really appealing to me, though I doubt we'll be anywhere close to a classical school anytime soon (unless I start one, which could happen :001_smile:).

Our classical school is very good, but it only goes to 7th or 8th grade. If I could have put my children in a couple of years ago, then I would have. But at this point, even if the money appeared, I would not. My son is too old, my daughter is too far behind the school in Latin, and my youngest has learning disabilities and would not be accepted anyway.

But at one time I would have loved to put them in it.

If a really perfect high school were nearby and affordable, I would very seriously consider it. I can't think what might tempt me about an elementary or middle school though, except *possibly* if we were in a foreign country, where my motivations would be purely social and linguistic.

But for high school? Quite possibly.

I'm very happy with the classical school they're in, A.K.A. Gilbert Academy, ;) We do, however, plan on enrolling them all full time in the high school collegiate program offered at a local university when they reach 11th grade. Upon graduation, they will receive a high school diploma, an A.A. and happily, it will be for free! Assuming, they can get in...which academically should not be a problem b/c of the great classical school I mentioned above :D

Like many others, we home school for many reasons, and although academics are my #1 reason, I find the family closeness and cultural direction we guide them in are the best they can be b/c we're together so much. It can be done when they're outside of home, I just think it would be harder. So, while there are great classical school options here, and I certainly do feel exhausted, home is it for this fam.

I want to add that we do homeschool for reasons other than academic, but the one and only school that I would consider for my children is a classical Christian school and it is small and intimate and I know quite a few people in the school. The teachers at this school would be a fine Christian influence on any student from a Christian home and the staff and parents work hard to insure a sense of community among the students.

Just did not want anyone to think that we don't value the spiritual benefits of a Christian education as well as the academic benefits of a classically inspired one.

There's a Public Charter starting 15 minutes from me. I don't know for sure that I'd send my children, but I put in a form for it. They are using some of the "Core Knowledge" curriculum for 6th-8th grade and modeling after a school in Colorado. For 9-12 grade, they are doing a "Classical Curriculum" although they haven't picked one out yet. (They said that they'd be developing it.)

I love the thought of my daughter being able to be involved in a small group of students that are disciplined. I would hope that they'd have dramas about different history subjects...chant in unison....do art together. I think by her 7th grade year (which is the year it'll start, for her...) she'll be ready.

Of course, I'm not sure we'll be picked, as we're out of district.

Carrie:-)

There is a glut of religious private schools in my area and I just don't see that a private classical school would be any different. My children don't want to attend that type of school. In fact, they don't want to attend any kind of school except college. O.k., oldest dd would happily go off to any kind of school that offered lengthy, daily classes in dance but since there aren't any schools like that around here that probably won't happen.

I want to add that we do homeschool for reasons other than academic, but the one and only school that I would consider for my children is a classical Christian school and it is small and intimate and I know quite a few people in the school. The teachers at this school would be a fine Christian influence on any student from a Christian home and the staff and parents work hard to insure a sense of community among the students.

Just did not want anyone to think that we don't value the spiritual benefits of a Christian education as well as the academic benefits of a classically inspired one.

While I would certainly look for these kind of things if I did want to send my kids to school, it would still be removing me from the equation, so I prefer to homeschool.

If I had that kind of money, I'd use it instead to pay for house cleaning, laundry, and cooking! ;)

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: I can't say that enough. :001_smile: