Menu

What program do you love that you are surprised is not more well-known/liked?

birchbark

100 Easy Lessons

I bought this at the recommendation of Timberdoodle for my then-4yo son. I took WTM's suggestion to skip the writing activities (wonderful counsel btw), and we breezed through it. He loved the silly stories in each lesson. I loved that it was so quick, easy, (relatively) cheap, and didn't have a lot of "stuff" with it. Today my son will read anything that is not nailed down. Learning to read was effortless with this book, and I am amazed at the large amount of disappointment I read about in others' experiences! Maybe I'll feel differently when it comes time to teach my next (very different) son! :D

The Sentence Family

There is a lot of interest in grammar on this board, and in teaching it to younger students. I am surprised that this little book isn't more popular! Grammar went from being DS's least favorite to most favorite subject overnight. He is an extremely visual learner, and FLL 1/2 did not go over well at all. In trying to find a visual method of learning grammar, I stumbled upon this book. I inquired about it on here, but didn't get much response so I decided to try it out. Now DS is constantly asking me to do "another one!" It is very clever, giving each of the parts of speech personality, a color, and an activity. Their beds become the sentence diagrams. My 8yo is diagramming sentences with prepositional phrases! His grasp and retention of the concepts has amazed me. (I do think though that FLL provided good "pegs" for all of this.) If you're looking for a more fun or visual way to approach grammar I would definitely give it a look. It is written for 4th grade but my 2nd grader has loved it. And it is published by a religious school but has no religious content, FWIW.

http://www.stmichaelschool.us/sentencefamily.html

Writing Tales

I have not used this yet but have received it and spent a lot of time looking through it. I did learn about it on this board but it does not seem to be nearly as popular as other writing/LA programs. It contains copywork, written narration, spelling, vocabulary, and grammar all centered around short, (complete) stories or fables. It is attractively laid out and beautifully bound. The student's book is wire spiral-bound. I love the fact is it classical, all-inclusive, and open-and-go. And it looks like a fun way to do LA. We'll see if DS likes it as well as I do!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Life of Fred Maths: When I first heard of the LoF math, it was often poo-poo'd asnothing more than a story, but certainly NOT a REAL curriculum. There are still people who feel that way, I'm sure, but I've seen messages where people have written how they've lined up LoF with other popular maths, and it has the same "ingredients". I think it's approach is so different than traditional math that people just don't see it as "real." The writer is very available by phone or e-mail. Some stories that people have had problems with have been changed. We didn't ahve problems with it, my kids LOVE it, and they score high on math testing.

Queen Homeschool Materials: Some (including me) have mentioned troubles with shipping/communication. But the materials (definitely Christian-based) are GREAT! The family is actually just a very busy family with all they have going on in their lives right now! They are very kind and good homeschooling people, and I like supporting them, and other homeschoolers that do these types of things! I never saw the materials listed until this year, so I'm glas SOMEone metnioned them so I could find them and their materials! :)

Harmony Fine Arts: Another Homeschooling mom that has put together some great programs and ideas, but haven't seen it mentioned much. She is very helpful when someone has questions, and explains things clearly.

Winston Grammar:

• clear, concise instruction
  • short, but effective lessons (no fluff!)
  • amazing visual, tactile tool w/ cards
  • meets all learning styles
  • uncluttered pages
  • builds naturally
  • continual review
  • high retention

Both of our eldest ds have used it. It is never a dreaded subject. In fact, my 12yo deemed it his favorite subject the other day. His understanding in grammar has grown leaps and bounds.

Reading Made Easy by Valerie Bendt.

Delightful primer which makes reading easy and fun.

Features:

- As the name suggests, this primer makes reading easy. Very simple marking for long vowel vs short vowel (i.e. grey for short vowel and black for long vowel) and easily recognized dotted silent letters are used to get beginning students to read easily. My son learned his vowels and various diphtongs easily with this program.

NOTE: Just in case you're wondering whether students can transition easily to the non-marked reading, this program actually transitions student to the normal unmarked reading as the lesson progresses. In our home, we can transition to Elson Reader Primer easily.

- Stories and/or interesting sentences are introduced after the first few lesson. Hence, no readers are required to spice up the lesson. This is possible because:

a. Limited amount of sight words are taught early. This means that children can read words like: the, a, an, and, are, you, etc pretty early and hence make it possible for this book to use 'normal' stories (as opposed to tongue-twister stories, like: fat cat sat on a mat) even at the early stage.

b. It teaches long vowel pretty early. Yes, this primer has a different scope and sequence from usual phonic primers in that it teaches the short a for several lessons, then followed by the long a . This feature has an advantage in that it enables this primer to introduce interesting sentences or short stories quickly. My children don't find the change from short vowel to long vowel confusing because of the simple marking system.

Each chapter includes reading practice for words in isolation, stories and multisensory activity (see below). The last eight chapters are dedicated to a continuous story.

- Multisensory approach. In each chapter, after all the reading activities finish, parents are directed to write each word of a sentence (provided by the book) on index cards, and then children are required to put the index cards in sequence such that the sentence can be read. There is also optional card games, sight word craft, writing and coloring/drawing if you/your kids are up to it.

- Instill the love of reading because reading lesson is delightful. My children especially love the time after story reading (and after I have a dialogue with them after the story) because then I will reveal the (mostly) funny illustration which go with the story.

- It's scripted and easy to teach. IT's also easy to skip the script if you don't want to follow it.

-It has helpful various suggestion on how to follow-up this primer to ease up your child into the reading world.

NOTE:

-Although this book is supposed to be Christian, I only find may be one or two references to God and one reference to Bible towards the end of the book.

-After this book, your child should read at second grade level. My son went to Elson Primer followed by Treadwell Primer with no problem. However, it does not teach upper level phonics, like -ion ending, -ic, etc (see the table of contents of this book).

Edited by mom2moon2

Complete-a-Sketch drawing series. It's wonderful for kids who want to draw but are less interested in drawing in a "fine arts" sort of way, more interested in drawing in a technical/drafting sense. It gives great practice in using a ruler and pencil, "seeing" an object before it's complete, patience, hand-eye coordination. My younger dd loves it. I tell people about it and I have yet to meet anyone who's even heard of it.

Here's a Timberdoodle link: http://www.timberdoodle.com/Complete_A_Sketch_123_CD_p/108-597.htm

Primary Phonics

It is an older program, one which my dh used in Montessori, actually. Very simple, but a great phonics base. Workbook approach, but not like most of the ones I've seen. Can progress at own speed, and has readers that progress like Bob Books.

Made by the same publisher as Explode the Code.

I have one more to add. I'm adding it in for the confusion surrounding it, I guess you could say.

Rod & Staff English/Grammar

I've seen many, many people saying they stopped R&S Grammar because it took so long. It doesn't have to take a long time! My kids and I did most of it orally, and did the diagramming on a white board. That stuck in their heads better than when I tried to make them write the answers for all the problems! You can EASILY tweak this to work well and not take a long time! We spent anywhere from 10-20 minutes per day on the lessons, and we had fun! We laughed a lot at some of the examples, then made silly examples of our own. It really stuck with them, and they ended up getting definitely higher scores in the language/grammar sections of the ITBS once we started using R&S!

I'm not saying it'll work for everyone, I'm just saying that it's a misnomer that R&S takes a long time, so should never be a reason for not using it!

Me too!!

I have one more to add. I'm adding it in for the confusion surrounding it, I guess you could say.

I've seen many, many people saying they stopped R&S Grammar because it took so long. It doesn't have to take a long time! My kids and I did most of it orally, and did the diagramming on a white board. That stuck in their heads better than when I tried to make them write the answers for all the problems! You can EASILY tweak this to work well and not take a long time! We spent anywhere from 10-20 minutes per day on the lessons, and we had fun! We laughed a lot at some of the examples, then made silly examples of our own. It really stuck with them, and they ended up getting definitely higher scores in the language/grammar sections of the ITBS once we started using R&S!

I'm not saying it'll work for everyone, I'm just saying that it's a misnomer that R&S takes a long time, so should never be a reason for not using it!

:iagree:

Primary Phonics

It is an older program, one which my dh used in Montessori, actually. Very simple, but a great phonics base. Workbook approach, but not like most of the ones I've seen. Can progress at own speed, and has readers that progress like Bob Books.

JoyfulMama,

I LOVE Primary Phonics and bought the whole set when I discovered it. I found out about it from a Montessori school as well. The workbooks are okay, but the little books are wonderful! I'm starting to use them with my youngest child now and am so glad I have them as a resource.

I've seen many, many people saying they stopped R&S Grammar because it took so long. It doesn't have to take a long time! My kids and I did most of it orally, and did the diagramming on a white board...

I used A Beka for about four years, even though R&S sounded better in some ways, because I kept reading that R&S required a lot of writing out of exercises. Since my dc hated physically putting pencil to paper, I decided on A Beka. We did a lot of that orally, though. I finally decided to take a look at R&S at a homeschool convention, and I noticed that it would be much easier for us to use than A Beka -- half of each lesson was meant to be done orally. I decided to switch to R&S, and I like it sooo much better than A Beka. We did almost everything other than the diagramming orally. We only did the written exercises if the kids messed up with the oral, and even then my kids didn't necessarily write anything. Because we did so much oral work, it didn't take us long, either. I sure wish I had looked at R&S when I was first looking for a grammar program, instead of "listening" to people's complaints about their being too much to write. Not once did I read that R&S could easily be done orally.

Dc#3 is doing some written work with R&S because I wish I had made my boys do more written work (in every subject) than they did when they were younger.

Rod & Staff Math and Phonics....

I like them as much as Grammar. You can do some oral, some written. It is very neat... not busy with gawdy cartoons and fancy pictures (which are only distractions in a math book). It is not expensive either.

The Math lessons are very similar to the ones that I used in elementary school and math was a breeze for me. I do cut the lessons in 1/2 though. Then, if they miss several.... we add 1 or 2 more lines of problem.

I have been very pleased with R & S!

Pentime Handwriting

My DD started with HWOT and did fine but was bored with it. I picked up Pentime based on a review here I think. I love the simple pictures and copywork. My DD loves it. It's cheap too at about $6 per bk. I get it from RR

AesopĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Fables: My Book About Reading Writing Thinking Series

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1242604870-1863818&subject=4&category=727

I like this easy and fun approach to some basic grammar, drawing, reading, and writing. I started this with my son in late 2nd grade I think. We both like it and my DD will be starting it this fall.

I just love K12, www.k12.com. I've done searches on these boards to see who's talking about, considering, or using K12, but it doesn't seem very popular, though I found out about it (or re-discovered it) on these boards. I'm also very pleased with our virtual academy, and our assigned teacher. She spent 1/2 hour with my daughter to help her with a composition assignment, which was very successful. On top of that, my daughter has been motivated to do better, write neater, and try harder on all of her assignments since then. I am truly pleased, and finally happy and at peace with what we use, and how we use it. :lol:

Primary Phonics

:iagree: This is a really nice program. I used it with my older boys and still use the readers with my younger group. I've never, ever understood why Explode the Code won out as the more popular program. Admittedly ETC does cover more territory, but the pictures are obnoxious IMNSHO.

Some favorites (other than SOTW!) over the last 10 years:

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

Rod & Staff Phonics Cards

Explode the Code

Rod & Staff grammar/spelling

Latin Primer Series w/DVDs -- my dc really enjoyed these and learned a great deal.

Am I allowed to rave about science?

I honestly can't believe that more people don't love TOPS.

I first encountered them through Sonlight's Year 3 program, when we did Corn & Green Beans. We have absolutely loved all of them! Talk about hands-on, real, analyzing, discovering, doing science. . . . .it still floors me that they are not more well-known.

We've loved Corn & Beans, Radishes, Electricity, Magnetism, Analysis, and Cohesion/Adhesion.

Complete-a-Sketch drawing series. It's wonderful for kids who want to draw but are less interested in drawing in a "fine arts" sort of way, more interested in drawing in a technical/drafting sense. It gives great practice in using a ruler and pencil, "seeing" an object before it's complete, patience, hand-eye coordination. My younger dd loves it. I tell people about it and I have yet to meet anyone who's even heard of it.

Here's a Timberdoodle link: http://www.timberdoodle.com/Complete_A_Sketch_123_CD_p/108-597.htm

:iagree: T loves these!

I agree 100% with Pentime Handwriting.

Explode the Code

My ds has learned so much from the time we spend in ETC. The pace is slow, but it is not meant to be fast. That, and I have a 9 year old that is benefiting from it as much as the 5 year old!

Christian Light Education (CLE)

At first, I bypassed it because I was reminded of AO Lifepacs. But, somehow I found my way back and I just couldn't be more pleased. I don't have enough vocabulary to say as many nice things as I would like to about their Math, Language Arts, and Bible study. Their music and Spanish courses are just as superior looking (though we haven't begun those yet).

Child's History of the World

My son and I LOVED this book and LOVED the lessons each day. Ds9 would ask to do it first each time he saw it on the schedule.

Daily Language Review by Evan Moor. These are Language Arts Vitamins. 4-5 short LA's questions daily to keep things fresh and double check for gaps. Each day has a variety of questions.

I'm surprised that I don't see more Evan Moor products on the board. I like their Basic Math Skills program. It introduces Algebra and Geometry concepts clearly from the start (in stand alone units/sections). It's logical with a sequential mastery approach. I would say that this program could stand alone for parents who are very comfortable teaching math or have a student who picks up math concepts quickly. It has unit tests, timed tests, and flash cards within one worktext. I would use it with Evan Moor's Daily Math Problems for extra practice and review.

Visualize World Geography. This has been asked for time and time again at our house.

Queen's Language Lessons

I gotta say Latin's not so Tough early materials. I liked it but it is hated here

Ignite Your Writing. Again, great, concise, simple writing program for early grades hardly ever mentioned here.

this might be it for my ds...thanks!

Am I allowed to rave about science?

I honestly can't believe that more people don't love TOPS.

I first encountered them through Sonlight's Year 3 program, when we did Corn & Green Beans. We have absolutely loved all of them! Talk about hands-on, real, analyzing, discovering, doing science. . . . .it still floors me that they are not more well-known.

We've loved Corn & Beans, Radishes, Electricity, Magnetism, Analysis, and Cohesion/Adhesion.

Rave away :D I've looked at TOPS, but most of what I've heard has said they are fiddly to the point of committing mother to an asylum. I don't suppose they can all be that bad or you wouldn't be raving happily about them, hey?

Visualize World Geography. This has been asked for time and time again at our house.

What ages is this for? I was considering it for K.

:)

Rosie

The Sentence Family

There is a lot of interest in grammar on this board, and in teaching it to younger students. I am surprised that this little book isn't more popular! Grammar went from being DS's least favorite to most favorite subject overnight. He is an extremely visual learner, and FLL 1/2 did not go over well at all. In trying to find a visual method of learning grammar, I stumbled upon this book. I inquired about it on here, but didn't get much response so I decided to try it out. Now DS is constantly asking me to do "another one!" It is very clever, giving each of the parts of speech personality, a color, and an activity. Their beds become the sentence diagrams. My 8yo is diagramming sentences with prepositional phrases! His grasp and retention of the concepts has amazed me. (I do think though that FLL provided good "pegs" for all of this.) If you're looking for a more fun or visual way to approach grammar I would definitely give it a look. It is written for 4th grade but my 2nd grader has loved it. And it is published by a religious school but has no religious content, FWIW.

http://www.stmichaelschool.us/sentencefamily.html

Thanks for this recommendation. I just ordered The Sentence Family for my visual learner who struggles with grammar. :)

Scott Foresman Math !

We love Scott Foresman Exploring Mathematics, too! I figured it wasn't mentioned much because it's out of print. I know Sonlight used to recommend it, but stopped because of availability issues. Some of the answer keys are getting hard to find, too. But, what a great program!

Heart of Dakota & Drawn Into the Heart of Reading.

I never really heard anything about HOD, but when I finally did and checked it out, it's just exactly what I have envisioned for our homeschool from the beginning, but hadn't found. I love it and feel like I've just been spinning my wheels for no reason. The guides include everything you can think of and are much fuller than the samples on the HOD web site indicate.

I'm hoping more folks will look into HOD and consider it now that Carrie is writing her middle school guides. The first year of her four year history cycle curriculum looks fabulous.

http://www.heartofdakota.com

I gotta say Latin's not so Tough early materials. I liked it but it is hated here

Not by me! I LOVE their early books...particulary Book 2....WONDERFUL for early Latin students (think Grade 2 in particular.) It's only the levels after that that I don't care for.

But I'm totally sold on their early books - in fact, used both Books 1 AND 2 for both of my younger children, and would have used them for my oldest if I had known about them!

For the little ones, a neat literature-based program with an excellent book list and stimulating activities:

Peak with Books

I also really like MCP Math, and although slower than most programs, I believe it cements the concepts and gives a good foundation. In addition, using it with Miquon adds some discovery aspects and makes the combo comparable to Singapore according to some sources. I need extra teacher help, and MCP provides me with that. I can get creative with Miquon.

Edited by sagira

I've looked at TOPS, but most of what I've heard has said they are fiddly to the point of committing mother to an asylum.

:lol::lol::lol:

The longer I homeschool, the more I think that asylums may be under-rated. Think about it... when was the last time someone served you three meals a day, cleaned up after you, let you wander aimlessly around the yard, and had you take naps in the afternoon? And that's not even mentioning the happy, mind-altering drugs they give you.

The whole asylum thing is starting to sound better and better... ;)

Cat

The longer I homeschool, the more I think that asylums may be under-rated. Think about it... when was the last time someone served you three meals a day, cleaned up after you, let you wander aimlessly around the yard, and had you take naps in the afternoon? And that's not even mentioning the happy, mind-altering drugs they give you.

Cat

:lol: Hilarious!

Cat

:iagree: :iagree:

Cat

LOL...it actually sounds wonderful right now!

Cat

You tickled my funny bone :lol::lol:

I'm surprised I had never heard of NOEO Science and even more surprised it is not mentioned in the new WTM. I think it is a newer product.

The idea of NOEO is like Sonlight. It provides a teacher's guide and uses books, many of them Usborne. It also includes experiments that are complete and packaged into their own plastic bag. Also, it expects the student to use notebooking.

It works off the Trivium concept. It offers a "Level I" Biology, Chemistry and Physics and then a "Level II" Biology, Chemistry and Physics. It appears to be working on "Level III" of each, too, but currently only offers Chemistry at this level.

I am excited about using NOEO Biology II for my 9yods beginning next fall.

Oak Meadow - I love it and am so sorry it wasn't our main curriculum for K-3. The science is fantastic for the middle grades, and there is a lot for both kids who love hands-on and kids who want to write instead.

Growing with Grammar - I think it's getting more popular, but I wish more people knew how easy it is to use and how thorough it is, too!

I'm surprised I had never heard of NOEO Science and even more surprised it is not mentioned in the new WTM. I think it is a newer product.

The idea of NOEO is like Sonlight. It provides a teacher's guide and uses books, many of them Usborne. It also includes experiments that are complete and packaged into their own plastic bag. Also, it expects the student to use notebooking.

It works off the Trivium concept. It offers a "Level I" Biology, Chemistry and Physics and then a "Level II" Biology, Chemistry and Physics. It appears to be working on "Level III" of each, too, but currently only offers Chemistry at this level.

I am excited about using NOEO Biology II for my 9yods beginning next fall.

:iagree: My dd used the Chem II this year and really enjoyed it!

The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading is wonderful. I wish I would have discovered it with the first four dc. This program makes spelling non-daunting, and provides a Solid foundation in phonics, including all the teams that may be neglected in other programs. The Rule Tunes (familiar melodies to help teach spelling rules) are great - I often hear the older dc humming the songs in their heads, as they've picked them up while I teach the wee one.

People say this is teacher intensive, but I can't say it's any more work for me than 100 EZ Lessons was, Tapestry of Grace, latin, or math. I also find that Everything I need to teach it is provided, so I never had to come up with ideas to carry it out.

Finally, the DVD's were nice to help with the initial understanding of the program. Once I took off with the DVD's teaching the rest was not a problem.

From what other users say, they had problems with older children and spelling, but with those who use this program, no problems. I'll let you know how that happens in a while, when #5 has shown results. So far, at the end of volume 1, he is not at all intimidated by spelling and shows higher ability than his sibs did at this point.

The cost is well worth it, especially if you can use it for more than one dc.