Menu

What program do you love that you are surprised is not more well-known/liked?

birchbark

Primary Phonics Workbooks

My first son didn't need these--they were busy work for him. But my second son has really benefited from them.

ETA: Answering this question just cost me $59.97 :-) When I linked to the Primary Phonics Workbooks, I noticed that they had storybooks to go along with them. (My son really needs some more phonics readers, though, so it's a good thing!)

Edited by Oak Knoll Mom

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Primary Phonics

It is an older program, one which my dh used in Montessori, actually. Very simple, but a great phonics base. Workbook approach, but not like most of the ones I've seen. Can progress at own speed, and has readers that progress like Bob Books.

Made by the same publisher as Explode the Code.

JoyfulMama,

I LOVE Primary Phonics and bought the whole set when I discovered it. I found out about it from a Montessori school as well. The workbooks are okay, but the little books are wonderful! I'm starting to use them with my youngest child now and am so glad I have them as a resource.

:iagree: This is a really nice program. I used it with my older boys and still use the readers with my younger group. I've never, ever understood why Explode the Code won out as the more popular program. Admittedly ETC does cover more territory, but the pictures are obnoxious IMNSHO.

Primary Phonics Workbooks

My first son didn't need these--they were busy work for him. But my second son has really benefited from them.

ETA: Answering this question just cost me $59.97 :-) When I linked to the Primary Phonics Workbooks, I noticed that they had storybooks to go along with them. (My son really needs some more phonics readers, though, so it's a good thing!)

Now I'm intrigued. What makes Primary Phonics different from ETC? I just looked at the linked sample from CBD and it looks very similar.

Are these good for a review of phonics rules for a kid already reading at about a 3rd grade level, or are they better for a kid who isn't reading yet?

Hands on Equations.

I learned of this here, but hardly anybody mentions it. It's a way to teach algebra to children with manipulatives so that they don't need upper level reasoning skills to comprehend it.

My son started this in the third grade, and we have proceeded at a very slow pace, sometimes doing just one problem a day. Now in the fifth grade, he can solve problems like this in his head in the time it takes me to read the problem to him:

“Two stagecoaches leave from the same point at noon, one going east and one going west, and separate from each other at the combined rate of 17 miles per hour. After one hour of travel, the one going east began traveling at 3 miles less than ½ of its original speed for two additional hours. The one going west maintained his speed for two hours, at which time it arrived at its destination. If both coaches traveled the same distance, what was the initial speed of the one going east, and how far did it travel?”

This is a real example out of their Level 3 Verbal Equations book, and he really did solve it in his head in seconds. He is very excited about moving on to real algebra. And this from a kid who has struggled like crazy to learn his math facts. I'm confident that if he were in public school, he would be in the remedial math group and feel like a loser. Hands On Equations has been a godsend to him.

Hands on Equations.

I learned of this here, but hardly anybody mentions it. It's a way to teach algebra to children with manipulatives so that they don't need upper level reasoning skills to comprehend it.

My son started this in the third grade, and we have proceeded at a very slow pace, sometimes doing just one problem a day. Now in the fifth grade, he can solve problems like this in his head in the time it takes me to read the problem to him:

“Two stagecoaches leave from the same point at noon, one going east and one going west, and separate from each other at the combined rate of 17 miles per hour. After one hour of travel, the one going east began traveling at 3 miles less than ½ of its original speed for two additional hours. The one going west maintained his speed for two hours, at which time it arrived at its destination. If both coaches traveled the same distance, what was the initial speed of the one going east, and how far did it travel?”

This is a real example out of their Level 3 Verbal Equations book, and he really did solve it in his head in seconds. He is very excited about moving on to real algebra. And this from a kid who has struggled like crazy to learn his math facts. I'm confident that if he were in public school, he would be in the remedial math group and feel like a loser. Hands On Equations has been a godsend to him.

Wow! This looks really interesting. Is it a complete program, Cindy or did you do it alongside some other math curricula?

Lisa

Heart of Dakota & Drawn Into the Heart of Reading.

I never really heard anything about HOD, but when I finally did and checked it out, it's just exactly what I have envisioned for our homeschool from the beginning, but hadn't found. I love it and feel like I've just been spinning my wheels for no reason. The guides include everything you can think of and are much fuller than the samples on the HOD web site indicate.

I'm hoping more folks will look into HOD and consider it now that Carrie is writing her middle school guides. The first year of her four year history cycle curriculum looks fabulous.

www.heartofdakota.com

:iagree:I agree! I'm glad I have a third child I can use these wonderful guides with after tweaking, putting together my own, settling for less than I envisioned for 16 years!

Are you using it [The Lost Tools of Writing]with TOG? If so, how?

I have used it with my ds14 who has difficulty with writing. The Lost Tools of Writing gives him tools to help come up with something to say, his biggest problem, plus he's learning some tools of rhetoric along the way. I always did still sprinkle in TOG Writing Aids assignments, but since we are awaiting the release of LToW 2 this year he often does TOG writing assignments, sometimes as described in WA, sometimes using LToW methods, or both.

Hands on Equations.

“Two stagecoaches leave from the same point at noon, one going east and one going west, and separate from each other at the combined rate of 17 miles per hour. After one hour of travel, the one going east began traveling at 3 miles less than ½ of its original speed for two additional hours. The one going west maintained his speed for two hours, at which time it arrived at its destination. If both coaches traveled the same distance, what was the initial speed of the one going east, and how far did it travel?â€

Dd is having a lot of fun with this, too! We've finished Level 1 and are working through the Verbal Problems for it this summer. She calls it the "fun math." :)

Wow! This [Hands On Equations] looks really interesting. Is it a complete program, Cindy or did you do it alongside some other math curricula?

It's strictly an enrichment program. It covers nothing but the algebra concepts. No math facts; nothing but algebra. The actual program is only 10 lessons (or so), and you *could* do it in ten days (probably with an older child).

But if you buy the whole homeschool program, including their Verbal Equation book, you have enough materials to stretch it out for a long time. (We've been doing one problem a day for 3 years, maybe 5 minutes a day.) That gives the child's mind time to mature and soak in the concept.

We will finish the entire program (3 levels) in a few weeks, and it's been a real hit here. And pain free. No prep at all.

It's strictly an enrichment program. It covers nothing but the algebra concepts. No math facts; nothing but algebra. The actual program is only 10 lessons (or so), and you *could* do it in ten days (probably with an older child).

But if you buy the whole homeschool program, including their Verbal Equation book, you have enough materials to stretch it out for a long time. (We've been doing one problem a day for 3 years, maybe 5 minutes a day.) That gives the child's mind time to mature and soak in the concept.

We will finish the entire program (3 levels) in a few weeks, and it's been a real hit here. And pain free. No prep at all.

Thanks for the info! I will definitely have to look into this some more. I love the idea of it.

Lisa

Heart of Dakota-- All time favorite core curriculum!

Drawn Into the Heart of Reading- Awesome, incredible literature program

Singapore Math-- Only successful math program in this house. My kids are starting to think mathematically and have strong mental math abilities. Not sure why I hear so many say it's too hard to teach, I think it's b/c it's not how much of us learned. I have found it wonderfully easy to teach and lessons are short. No busy work, and usually no need for drill. My kids can pick up so much from the pictures, but Heart of Dakota has awesome simple hands on activities for up to 2B (so around 2nd/3rd grade). Then kids are ready to "wean" from the hands-on to a more pictorial approach, which is very effective in SM.

R&S Grammar-- Quick, easy to teach, effective -- much can be done orally! much on the white board together! Then dc can write a bit to show they know it and practice using the new concept.

Reading Made Easy- Awesome, fun, easy, short lessons, interesting, and there are now workbook pages to go with it! Should be released soon (I "test drove" these for her and they are awesome!)

Go Fish For Art- Great games and books for Picture/Artist Study. Small but clear pictures of the work, then some artist info. Grouped by time period.

Themes to Remember-- Classical Music/Composer study. My kids LOVE this and now recognize many pieces in cartoons and commercials. Fun!

Conversation With Character- From Sweet Home Press, great for teaching our youngsters conversational manners and skills. Very fun, great for all but could be a real asset for those with social skill delays.

And I haven't gotten to high school homeschooling yet, but I just LOVE the looks of Beautiful Feet history programs for high school, as well as Write With The Best for Jr./Sr. High.

The hands-on part is essentially an equation scale, yes? Do you think I could use the Hands-on Equations books with another equation scale manipulative?

I have the Weigh Too Learn equation scale (okay, two), and the books that go with them, but they don't have the depth of word problem-type stuff you were quoting eariler. I don't feel like buying a whole 'nother equation scale, though, when I already have two(!) But the books that go with what I have are fairly simple and not particularly engaging, and the scales sit unused on the shelf - so I'm wondering if I could mix and match??

The hands-on part is essentially an equation scale, yes?

Yes. It's actually a paper scale that you put board-game tokens on. On the DVD, he uses a 3-D scale, but it doesn't calculate the weight. it's just a visual.

Do you think I could use the Hands-on Equations books with another equation scale manipulative? ... so I'm wondering if I could mix and match??

Y'know, not being a math person AT ALL, I'm inclined to say yes, but I honestly don't know.

You can buy the Verbal Equations book separately and do the equations your own way (with your scale), but the scale and the tokens are not a significant expense in the package. (Like I said, it's a paper scale.)

The significant expense is DVD package -- which you could skip if you understand Algebra. The instruction book does tell you how to do the problems. But I like a DVD, and not being a math person, I was delighted to get these lessons on DVD. However, the lessons themselves are short (maybe 10 or 12 total). It's the Verbal Equations book that had hundreds of practice problems, and that's really what made it sink in for my son. After watching the DVD lessons, he found the word problems challenging but also simple.

Hands on Equations.

“Two stagecoaches leave from the same point at noon, one going east and one going west, and separate from each other at the combined rate of 17 miles per hour. After one hour of travel, the one going east began traveling at 3 miles less than ½ of its original speed for two additional hours. The one going west maintained his speed for two hours, at which time it arrived at its destination. If both coaches traveled the same distance, what was the initial speed of the one going east, and how far did it travel?â€

You've planted a seed in my mind. I've been all over their web-site watching the demos. Very interesting!

Thank you for bringing this to my (our) attention.

Bill

You've planted a seed in my mind. I've been all over their web-site watching the demos. Very interesting!

Thank you for bringing this to my (our) attention.

Bill

You're welcome! :) Let us know if you try it. I'm sure you'll like it.

I got the Home Packet, and that includes everything you need (though you can do it without the DVD and save that money).

Oh, and I said earlier in this thread that there are only 10 lessons. I just saw on the website that there are 26. They go by very fast. IMO, it's the Verbal Equations workbook that makes the lessons stick.

You're welcome! :) Let us know if you try it. I'm sure you'll like it.

I got the Home Packet, and that includes everything you need (though you can do it without the DVD and save that money).

Oh, and I said earlier in this thread that there are only 10 lessons. I just saw on the website that there are 26. They go by very fast. IMO, it's the Verbal Equations workbook that makes the lessons stick.

I just love the idea of making "complicated" things such as algebra comprehensible to young children in ways they can understand. And that seems like exactly the aim of Dr Borenson. hands on Equations looks really interesting to me.

How necessary do you feel the DVDs are? They do bump the price quite a bit, but I don't like missing out on the logic. Anyway, I'm intrigued.

Bill

I just so love the idea of making "complicated" things such as algebra comprehensible to young children in ways they can understand. And that seems like exactly the aim of Dr Borenson. hands on Equations looks really interesting to me.

How necessary do you feel the DVDs are? They do bump the price quite a bit, but I don't like missing out on the logic. Anyway, I'm intrigued.

Bill

There was no way I was going to do it without DVDs. I nearly flunked algebra myself 30 years ago. (Having done this program, I am much better prepared for algebra myself now.)

The instructions are in the manuals. If you understand algebra, you would have no problem teaching it yourself. The DVDs teach right from the manuals. You won't miss out on any of the logic.

But we (my son and I) like a DVD program. The DVDs are short and simple. It's usually just one point per lesson -- much like MUS in this way. I guess you could compare it to MUS -- would you want to do MUS without DVDs? Some people would do fine with just the TM and no DVD.

Mr. Borenson has the kids teach about half the lessons, which I know he does to encourage the viewing kids that kids their age can do it. But the DVD kids don't enunciate as clearly as the dad does. So, that's a negative. But it's a small complaint about an overall great program.

Edited by Cindyg

Some of the more obscure curricula or programs we've use with success:

Mary Pecci's At Last a Reading Method for Every Child

Four Square Writing

Schola Latina by Ken Stephenson (I think, if I'm remembering correctly)

Rex Barks (all in one grammar book based on diagramming)

How necessary do you feel the DVDs are?

Like the pp, there was no way I would do this without the DVDs. But I think the bigger issue is that my ds can watch them and gets far more out of watching them than if I were trying to explain or him just reading the material. If your child is visual or auditory, which my ds is, I think they would be more effective. If not, and you understand algebra, I don't know that you would need them.

I just love the idea of making "complicated" things such as algebra comprehensible to young children in ways they can understand. And that seems like exactly the aim of Dr Borenson. hands on Equations looks really interesting to me.

Bill

I decided not to spend the $$ on the DVDs and we've had no issue with understanding and executing the program. I would say I'm comfortable with math (at least up through trig/pre-calc - I don't remember much about calc. :) ).

I really like the Bedell Curriculum. It is perfect for us. I use it just for devotion time, but it packs a lot of science and history in along with Bible. We have used 6 volumes and are on the 7th. We read history books in chronological order too, which helps bind it all together.

I also love Heart of Dakota. It is a perfect dose for each school day.:)

I love K12 too! I only use the math and LA with my oldest. I do science with 2nd and 5th. (3rd grade sci). We're also in WA, but don't use WAVA. I'm impressed with all K12 materials. I change what doesn't work for us, but most of it works great.

Some things we like that don't come up much around here:

Jolly Phonics

Evan-Moor 6 Trait Writing (and a few other Evan-Moor things)

Spellography and Primary Spelling by Pattern (Sopris West)

The Story of the Constitution

Reading Strands

I-excel Heuristic Math (from Singapore)

Colonial or Civil War or Leonardo daVinci...Projects You Can Build Yourself (Nomad Press)

Everydayeducation.com

Hands on Standards (Math and Science) from Learning Resources - kind of publicly schoolish but we are big on hands on and manipulatives

Core Knowledge blog - latest research/trends about education

Sadlier -Oxford Vocabulary Workshop http://www.sadlier-oxford.com/ My dd used this in 5th grade at a pvs. She tested in the 12th grade range on the Stanford test. My dss use it for homeschool and test very high.

The lettered levels (6th grade +) includes completing sentences, synonyms, antonyms, vocabulary in context, and choosing the right word. The colored levels ( 5th and below) include: match the meaning, synonyms, antonyms, completing sentences, and word association. Reviews tend to focus on reading comprehension and grammar in context.

Your dc can visit the web site, hear the word pronunciation, and play games using their new vocab words. And it's so easy for mom. I just hand them the book and they do about a page a day all year. It takes a few minutes. The books cost about $11 plus shipping. I don't purchase a teacher's edition. You don't really need it.

And...drum roll , please! I have two who are using Level A and C respectively and I can assign them the exact same page number. You only have to make one lesson plan! Whoohoo.

Seriously, way more info than any of you wanted but they are cheap, easy (for you) and effective.

Like the pp, there was no way I would do this without the DVDs. But I think the bigger issue is that my ds can watch them and gets far more out of watching them than if I were trying to explain or him just reading the material. If your child is visual or auditory, which my ds is, I think they would be more effective. If not, and you understand algebra, I don't know that you would need them.

I decided not to spend the $$ on the DVDs and we've had no issue with understanding and executing the program. I would say I'm comfortable with math (at least up through trig/pre-calc - I don't remember much about calc. :) ).

Thank you both :001_smile:

Bill

I've been looking into this lately and will definitely order it. It looks like something my 6 year old ds would love.

...Sorry, I meant to include the original post in my reply and now I can't figure out how. I was talking about Complete a Sketch mentioned by someone earlier.

Sadlier -Oxford Vocabulary Workshop http://www.sadlier-oxford.com/ My dd used this in 5th grade at a pvs. She tested in the 12th grade range on the Stanford test. My dss use it for homeschool and test very high.

The lettered levels (6th grade +) includes completing sentences, synonyms, antonyms, vocabulary in context, and choosing the right word. The colored levels ( 5th and below) include: match the meaning, synonyms, antonyms, completing sentences, and word association. Reviews tend to focus on reading comprehension and grammar in context.

Your dc can visit the web site, hear the word pronunciation, and play games using their new vocab words. And it's so easy for mom. I just hand them the book and they do about a page a day all year. It takes a few minutes. The books cost about $11 plus shipping. I don't purchase a teacher's edition. You don't really need it.

And...drum roll , please! I have two who are using Level A and C respectively and I can assign them the exact same page number. You only have to make one lesson plan! Whoohoo.

Seriously, way more info than any of you wanted but they are cheap, easy (for you) and effective.

K12 uses this for their vocabulary portion of their Language Arts. My daughter loves to go to the website and play the games. They correlate directly with the lessons. She's on level orange.

Mosdos Literature...We only use the student textbook b/c it has lots of gold nuggets in it without overkill. You cover literary analysis, vocabulary, writing, comprehension, and more!! The short stories and poems are engaging and a wonderful mixed variety. We've used it loosely this year and had a difficult time scheduling it in, but I'm really looking forward to digging into it again over the summer. This is something you can even read and discuss orally. We love it here!

We will be using this...

Visualize World Geography. This has been asked for time and time again at our house.

...and this in the future...

I gotta say Latin's not so Tough early materials.

;)

Right Start Math

:iagree:

Also, I'm surprised that Spell to Write and Read is not more well-known/liked on these boards. We are so blessed to have started our hs journey with SWR and Cursive First. I honestly can't imagine using anything else for a language arts program at this point (SWR and Preschoolers)... we like it that much and I couldn't be happier with the results thus far.

:001_smile:

Alpha Phonics

CLP Nature Readers

Simply Grammar ( we haven't started using this yet, but I really like the looks of it)

ACE paces : We use these for math.( I know it's a classical board here.:) But for dc who are not particularly strong in math, it is a good , inexpensive, mastery based program)

Another vote for Hand-On Equations! But we didn't get the DVDs and didn't need them.

Another vote for 100 EZ lessons (taught both my kids to read with it...absolutely pain-free).

I also like the Reading A-Z program (http://www.readinga-z.com).

Exploration Education Science was HUGE hit this year...HUGE, HUGE, HUGE!! http://www.explorationeducation.com/

We also love Famous Men of Greece and Famous Men of Rome. We read it for FREE online AND listened to it read aloud for FREE online. They were both really interesting and my ds loved it. And did I mention it was FREE? :D

ROTFL!!! :tongue_smilie:

Tia

:lol::lol::lol:

The longer I homeschool, the more I think that asylums may be under-rated. Think about it... when was the last time someone served you three meals a day, cleaned up after you, let you wander aimlessly around the yard, and had you take naps in the afternoon? And that's not even mentioning the happy, mind-altering drugs they give you.

The whole asylum thing is starting to sound better and better... ;)

Cat

Where do I sign up? I'm ready...

TM

:lol::lol::lol:

The longer I homeschool, the more I think that asylums may be under-rated. Think about it... when was the last time someone served you three meals a day, cleaned up after you, let you wander aimlessly around the yard, and had you take naps in the afternoon? And that's not even mentioning the happy, mind-altering drugs they give you.

The whole asylum thing is starting to sound better and better... ;)

Cat

• 3 months later...
Christ Centered Curriculum both Phonics & Math. I love how easy it is to teach and simple to use. I only found two websites that sell it and both make it sound so complicated when it's not.

:iagree:

Christ Centered Curriculum is my son's absolute FAVORITE and he actually ASKS me to do it each day! The teacher's guides have scripted lessons and are laid out perfectly, it also has extensive drills in each program and the workbooks are laid out so that they are not "too busy" for my son who has sensory integration (so too much visual stimuli distracts him). Most importantly the CCC Phonics and OPGTTR are easily paired so that I feel my son is getting the best of both worlds. Also, Christ Centered math teaches with the Place Value houses, counting 0-9, etc. that is found in Math U See so it's a perfect match for supplementing MUS.

Also, I can't wait to move into Character Quality Language Arts (the new CCC recommendation for after CCC for grades 2-12). If it wasn't for browsing the CCC updated website I would have never even knew it existed. It combines many of the most popular language arts programs into one and adds a Character Quality/Christian twist! It looks to be a very complete language arts program, not to mention it's got the same strong character training and Christian based learning that Christ Centered has, so if you used CCC in the past and loved it you may want to check out CQLA. The programs are affordable and the site also has tons of other Character Training and other curricula type materials including a book titled The Well Trained Heart :D.

Character Quality Language Arts can be found at Training for Triumph www.tfths.com (the creators website, which has extensive samples)

you guys are costing me more money!!!

LOL

As far as things we loved...

Reading Pathways and Phonics pathways is easy, cheap and has GREAT results with my dyslexic son (his specialist wanted to know what we used he had improved SO much!!!)

Explode the Code and Beyond the code are fun and effective.

LOVE EXPLORATION EDUCATION!!! We have both sets. Love them both, but the intermediate is best if you have a kid old enough.

Math N More (addition, subtractions, division and MULTIPLICATION) -- LOVE LOVE LOVE this program! http://www.littlegiantsteps.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1&cat=71&bestseller

Signing Time SIGN LANGUAGE DVD/Curriculum -- WONDERFUL (hint, they are almost identical to the normal dvd's, so you could do this for free by checking them out at the library if needed) http://www.signingtime.com

Reading Detective (computer-based) just be cause for my younger two, it keeps them motivated and is a time-saver for me while I know they are working on some specific points on reading comprehension.

R&S Grammar Fan

K12 middle school siences

Bravewriter Help for High School---new this year, but so far looks really good and my ds14 likes the tone of talking to him and engages it fully and independently.