Menu

How long will this Jon & Kate thing go on?

Actual news programs are covering it. Not Entertainment Tonight but the local news. I went to the grocery store and 3 mags had them on the cover. There was an article about them in the newspaper too. Are their martial problems really news? I feel badly for them that their whole life and marriage is placed under a microscope. Divorce is hard enough(so I've seen) without the whole world chiming in. I feel the worst for their children. They have always had lots of attention but it's been mostly positive. Now folks are talking about their cheating parents. Yikes.

I did watch their show about a year or so ago. I really got tired of the constant badmouthing that the wife did to her husband. I also was tired of all of the free things that they received-numerous trips, clothes, etc. When they moved into their big house I had already gotten tired of their show. They weren't very relateable or believable although the kids were still cute. It seemed as though the show was nothing but a business by then.

Since these folks will probably split up, I hope that they have the decency to remove the cameras from their home(s). The kids need to deal with any break up without cameras being in their faces.

The main problem that I see with the Jon & Kate show being taken off the air is that it will leave room on the TLC schedule for the Octomom show. :scared:

Dd8 loves the show and we allowed it to be her one hour viewing allotment per week - until the product placement became unbearable and the show no longer seemed to be about the kids.

Recently Kate was in our area for a book signing, and dd really wanted to go. Kate was genuinely kind to her, in contrast to the fake, simpering condescending way that some "celebrities" act.

I feel bad for the entire family because of the trainwreck things have become. Hopefully they can get their lives back on track - separated or together - for the sake of the children.

ETA: I can't help but wonder if the sudden media blitz has anything to do with the new season that just happens to be starting in late May.......

Edited by Highereducation

Rhonda. Don't feel bad. I had to google and youtube them before we got tv service recently.

They are a couple who had a set of twins (w/ fertility treatment), went for fertility treatment and ended up with sextuplets. Adorable children really. Anyway, they had a couple one hour specials about them then got a series a few years ago. I think the kids are like 7 adn 4 now.

I'm *so* out of it! I know who Brad, Jen, and Angelina are. But just who *are* Kate and John? I have never seen or heard of them (but I've been without TV for awhile!).

Jon & Kate Plus 8 is a "reality" show on TV. They have twins and sextuplets. The mom is really rude to her husband and the show has become very commercialized. The rumor is that both have cheated and are heading for divorce court. You're not missing anything.

Have you ever seen the movie "The Truman Show"? When I was watching the Jon & Kate show I almost expected one of them to turn to the screen and start spouting commercials during the show.

I love Jon and Kate, and feel really sorry for them. I think that was a tough sit. especially w/o a lot of help. If you notice they had no family support.

But, I think Kate let the fame get to her head. If you watch old episodes and now episodes, whole other lady. I had no problem with the snarkiness, but w/in the last yr. she is different. Maybe it was the marital issues and she just did not want to be around him.

Who knows? I pray for the kids.

you can get some of it on Netflix. I started watchign so I knew who ppl were talking about :D I've only seen one or two seasons.......but so far I don't think she's that bad :tongue_smilie: A little uptight and controlling, but I don't think she's that mean yet. I just take everyone's word for it that she gets progressively worse. :001_huh:

We watched Jon and Kate from the beginning, but not any more. In the last 2 years I have come to dislike the show. Mostly because of the "sur-real" life that they are now living. I enjoy reality TV families who continue to act the same wether on camera or off (like the Duggars show). Jon and Kate have completely gone off the deep end money wise from where they were 2 years ago. I just hope that their kids don't become spoiled from all the attention and money. Reality TV families seem to forget that once the kids grow up,the money goes away and they are left to lead "real" lives.

I think it is rather ridiculous! It really annoys me that their martial problems are news worthy and need to be plastered all over the media outlets. I mean the whole point of the reality show was basically the wonder of the kids they have been blessed with. Do we really need to be subjected to national and local news coverage of a cheating husband of a reality show family? Rather pathetic!

I have to admit that I've been watching the show on-an-off for a couple years. My dh hates it, and will walk away whenever I turn it to TLC to watch the show. He hates how disrespectful Kate is to Jon. I remember watching this past season finale -- they had just moved into the million dollar home -- and they were asked about if the show would continue. From my memory, Jon really seemed to want it to be over and return to "normal" life, and Kate kept saying that she loved it, and didn't want it to end. There were definitely some uncomfortable looks, gestures, and short silences during that interview that made me wonder what was up.

To be honest, when I saw the article at the check out stand, I did NOT believe it -- I never believe anything I see in the checkout stand (Lose 50 lbs. in 2 weeeks eating Lindt Chocolate!" "Bradzilla abducted by aliens!"), but watching the interview with Kate's brother and sil is making me wonder how much is really true.

That's interesting- I hadn't heard that they were having trouble. (I live under a rock- did I mention? ;) )

I watched it a few times a year or two ago, but there was just something I didn't like about the way they talked to and about each other. :( I'm sorry for their family though- and certainly having your whole life under a microscope can't help the situation at all.

-- I never believe anything I see in the checkout stand (Lose 50 lbs. in 2 weeeks eating Lindt Chocolate!" ),

Can I get this diet???

Kidding aside, I was watching some news show, and the interviewer asked if Jon and Kate's marital problems were "newsworthy"...the other person replied that since Jon and Kate proclaim Christian values, the fact that there might be infidelity **is** news worthy.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I think we need to be praying for them. Adultery in anyone's marriage is devastating, and the fact that this is public (even if it hasn't happened) and involves 8 kids...well, my heart goes out to them.

Rita

Personally, I never had a lot of respect for them. It seemed pretty clear that they were willing to do whatever it took to get a lot of free stuff and to become famous.

I can't imagine how parents can subject their dc to this level of media attention, just for the money, but Jon and Kate (particularly Kate,) appeared to have few qualms about it.

However, since they've already BTDT in terms of exploiting their dc for money, I think they are absolutely idiotic for cheating on each other and probably ending their marriage. That show has proven quite the gravy train for them, and I would think that it will be over soon if Jon and Kate split up. I guess things reached a point where they simply couldn't stand each other any more -- and I can't help but think that having cameras in their faces day in and day out, had to have contributed tremendously to their stress level.

Personally, though, I have no interest in the show. I've only seen parts of episodes because I don't like Jon or Kate, and because it really bugs me that these parents are seeking fame and fortune by exploiting their dc.

And wow, I'm bitter tonight, aren't I? :rolleyes:

Cat

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20278472,00.html

This causes me to lose any respect I might have had for Kate (and I didn't have much to lose). I think she started out with the right intention. They were broke and had 8 tiny kids to care for so it would be hard to pass up a lot of money to be on TV. But it should have ended years ago. How is she going to keep her kids from seeing this headline??

I loved that show when it first came out. At that time, it was truly a reality show. And I was fascinated by the realities of raising twins and sextuplets. Her OCD-like ways were actually an encouragement to me, because I tend towards perfectionism, too. It would make me think, "If she can manage with all those toddlers, I can too." Honestly, her aggravations towards John never bothered me much, because I really did feel like, "Hey, I'd be stressed out too!"

But I started to get bored of the show when it became, "John and Kate go on another fabulous trip gratis with boat-loads of matching clothing sponsored by Gap Kids!" Quite possibly, envy was involved.

There was a show on John getting hair transplants and I was :confused: and :ack2:, wondering what happened to simply documenting the amusing logistics of six toddlers and twins?

*sigh* I've been meaning to revise my blog and remove their show from "My favorite TV shows". Maybe this will get me moving.

On another note, have you seen "Table for Twelve"? I like that show much more. It's like John and Kate used to be, but with more love and less glam.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20278472,00.html

This causes me to lose any respect I might have had for Kate (and I didn't have much to lose). I think she started out with the right intention. They were broke and had 8 tiny kids to care for so it would be hard to pass up a lot of money to be on TV. But it should have ended years ago. How is she going to keep her kids from seeing this headline??

I simply think this is a tragedy for those poor children. I am upset at all of the adults (parents, film crew, TLC) exploiting them for money. I fear they will grow up and sue somebody for emotional distress. Soooo sad. Unfortunately, this and the Octo-mom will be another excuse for the UN Rights of the Child Law to be ratified in our country... children's rights. Which may limit our rights to homeschool. Eeek.

http://www.hslda.org/docs/link.asp?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flicense.icopyright.net%2Fuser%2FviewFreeUse.act%3Ffuid%3DMzMyNTk2Ng%3D%3D

Edited by tex-mex

At first I thought this might be a way to increase ratings. Now, I'm more convinced this all might be real.

Months ago I read a blog that talked about how Jodi didn't want to discuss the Gosselins and now....an interview? If they are so worried about the kids, PLEASE! They're adding fuel to the fire by validating their affairs, all in the name of pleading with the Gosselins (in public) that they need to save their marriage and protect their kids :confused: Here's an interesting read: http://truthbreedshatred.blogspot.com/. I think this interview is revenge for Kevin and Jodi. They could have written a letter to express their "concern."

Basically, a couple seasons ago, Kate allegedly forbade TLC to offer money to Kevin and Jodi for their air time. Kate doesn't have a relationship with her parents because allegedly when she was preg. with the six, her minister Father's congregation showered them with cribs, carseats, etc., and they weren't good enough for her because they didn't all match. She demanded money instead, and her father refused to give in to her freakish inflexibility, therefore she cut ties.

I used to find their hectic lives very interesting because they were survivors, and if she could do it, so could I. It's changed so much.

What I can't figure out is...why the renewal of vows? Why the comment to the kids "don't come in Mommy and Daddy's bedroom, we need privacy!" And, WHY did they buy that huge house?

The whole thing is just weird, and very sad for those sweet little kids.

Christa

My sister lent it to me over Christmas and I was stunned by the difference in tone and attitude of Kate in this book. If I had never watched the show and only read the book, I would have so much respect for Kate. In the book she is so trusting, positive, grateful and humble - not at all like she appears on the TV.

I wonder if she is just a stressed-out mom who struggles with her words and attitudes daily, like many of us. But inside she knows what's right and tries her best to follow God's will. Honestly, if a TV crew filmed me daily with my kids, I could imagine that with editing and my "drill sargeant" tendencies, I could easily be portrayed just as nasty as Kate is.

I know there was probably a ghost writer for her book, but in the end she had to market it, defend it, and withstand interviews about it. If not her exact words, then at least her feelings.

I pray for their family.

I'm *so* out of it! I know who Brad, Jen, and Angelina are. But just who *are* Kate and John? I have never seen or heard of them (but I've been without TV for awhile!).

I am in same boat. I have no idea who Kate and John are. I see their business in the check out lines but have no clue who they are (and I own a tv and watch it several nights a week).

My sister lent it to me over Christmas and I was stunned by the difference in tone and attitude of Kate in this book. .

That is because it was written By BETH CARSON...she talked to Kate, who is nto a writer, and Beth wrote most of the book. Now Kate won't even mention Beth on her book signing tours......

I used to watch J&K but it became VERY obvious that she wanted fame and fortune over anything else.

I mean they are NOT the only family with multiples. Remember the Dilley's??? They were given things but NEVER lost who they were and never forgot what their job was all about..."taking care of their children"

There were also the McCauley sextuplets?? Many more multiple families as well that have been in the spotlight for a short amount of time...but none to this degree as J&k.

I just hope they see what they have done to their family......but I don't think things will ever be normal for them again unless they totally remove themselves from the public eye. It's sad...really sad.

Debbie

My sister lent it to me over Christmas and I was stunned by the difference in tone and attitude of Kate in this book. If I had never watched the show and only read the book, I would have so much respect for Kate. In the book she is so trusting, positive, grateful and humble - not at all like she appears on the TV.

I wonder if she is just a stressed-out mom who struggles with her words and attitudes daily, like many of us. But inside she knows what's right and tries her best to follow God's will. Honestly, if a TV crew filmed me daily with my kids, I could imagine that with editing and my "drill sargeant" tendencies, I could easily be portrayed just as nasty as Kate is.

I know there was probably a ghost writer for her book, but in the end she had to market it, defend it, and withstand interviews about it. If not her exact words, then at least her feelings.

I pray for their family.

:iagree: THis was really well said, and I feel the same. " let the one with no sin cast the first stone"......Just pray for them!

On another note, have you seen "Table for Twelve"? I like that show much more. It's like John and Kate used to be, but with more love and less glam.

Yes! I love that show. The parents are SO nice with each other, and they are so relaxed and seem to really enjoy their children. It's like a night and day difference to the Gosselyn family. Table for 12 truly inspires me to be a better parent and wife.

My dh hates it, and will walk away whenever I turn it to TLC to watch the show. He hates how disrespectful Kate is to Jon.

A couple of years ago I watched all the time. Now only once in a while (for the same reasons others have given about the product endorsements, feeling bad for the kids, etc.), and only when hubby's not home.

I've noticed on the TV Guide that it's not as heavy on the schedule as it used to be. Lots of other multiples shows in its place, though.

I feel badly for them that their whole life and marriage is placed under a microscope. Divorce is hard enough(so I've seen) without the whole world chiming in. I feel the worst for their children. They have always had lots of attention but it's been mostly positive. Now folks are talking about their cheating parents. Yikes.

I did watch their show about a year or so ago. I really got tired of the constant badmouthing that the wife did to her husband. I also was tired of all of the free things that they received-numerous trips, clothes, etc. When they moved into their big house I had already gotten tired of their show. They weren't very relateable or believable although the kids were still cute. It seemed as though the show was nothing but a business by then.

Since these folks will probably split up, I hope that they have the decency to remove the cameras from their home(s). The kids need to deal with any break up without cameras being in their faces.

The main problem that I see with the Jon & Kate show being taken off the air is that it will leave room on the TLC schedule for the Octomom show. :scared:

Stupid show. I watched it once and got tired of her attitude towards her husband. Whether it was for show or not, it breeds unhappiness and bad habits. They made their bed, now they can lie in it. But then again what ever does the media display that is actually true? And what is it with networks that think this sort of display of disrespect is funny? It's just more disfunctional reality shows. It disgusts me. I'll stick to the Duggars.

I try very hard to be respectful to my husband and I think I do a good job (I think he agrees :D). Having said that, I've already said many times that I could not be on a reality show because everyone would feel sorry for my poor family for having such a mean wife/mother. I think they really need to just not be on TV anymore.

I think it's gone on too long already. Kate comes across as a total shrew to her dh, and he comes across as an immature 12 year old. Not sure how much of that is editing, but either way, they rarely come across in a positive light.

I can't watch that show anymore. I did watch it a bit in the first or second season, but now, it's just a half-hour of screaming, crying kids, sassy mouths, and barking orders. I could go home and hang out with my mother if I wanted to see that. LOL

I watched the show once. Kate threatened to throw out one child's lovey because it had a spot of gum on it. The child was shrieking at the thought of its beloved toy being tossed in the garbage, and Kate shoved the toy in the child's face while yelling about the gum.

That was it for me. I turned it off. Sorry, but any parent that could threaten a child with throwing out their security item and act like that, further terrorizing the child, nope, I didn't want to watch more, I felt like throwing up as it was.

I watched the show once. Kate threatened to throw out one child's lovey because it had a spot of gum on it. The child was shrieking at the thought of its beloved toy being tossed in the garbage, and Kate shoved the toy in the child's face while yelling about the gum.

That was it for me. I turned it off. Sorry, but any parent that could threaten a child with throwing out their security item and act like that, further terrorizing the child, nope, I didn't want to watch more, I felt like throwing up as it was.

:iagree: My dd's liked to watch the show occasionally, but that was the episode that broke the deal. No more. Not only was she incredibly cruel to her own child, didn't she actually call the sil who kindly babysat all of those children, to chew her out? I was sickened watching that little one cry, and we haven't had the show on ever since.

This is one family whose 15 minutes should have been over a long time ago. I agree that editing and such can be the reason she seems like such a nasty person, but why on earth would she want to perpetuate that image season after season, year after year.

;) I $ honestly $ can't $ come $ up $ with $ a $ good $ reason $ for $ her $ to $ act $ that $ way. :D

My dh wouldn't even be in the room when that show was on, even a couple of years ago.

When my DH first saw the show a couple of years ago, after the one and only episode he did watch he said, 'They're getting divorced. No man can take that for very long."

Hmmmm Maybe he was right. I hope not.

The worst was when they went to the crayola factory and no one had fun. Kate didnt let the kids have markers to do modelling clay with. That was the whole point of that activity too, so it was BLAh without the markers.

Anyway she needs medication and therapy and he is a pushover and I get the feeling he is lazy.

I wish they'd disappear- even tho I used to like watching it, I do not anymore.

That is because it was written By BETH CARSON...she talked to Kate, who is not a writer, and Beth wrote most of the book. Now Kate won't even mention Beth on her book signing tours......

You are correct that BETH CARSON is the "ghost writer" for Kate's book. She and Kate were very close since the tups were born. I liked Beth and her family -- they seemed to be very caring and serving to the Gosselins. I have no idea why they also are "cut off" from them? So sad.

Okay... I finally had it with TLC and their exploitation of the kids for ratings. And now it appears the parents need to see counseling rather than do book tours and promote their $$$ agenda. I wrote a polite letter to TLC saying I will no longer watch this show and they need to cancel it as this family needs to heal without the cameras rolling.

Here is TLC's reply this morning via email:

-------------------------------------------------

"Dear Viewer:

Thank you for contacting TLC. We appreciate your correspondence and for

taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns with us about Jon &

Kate Plus 8.

In an effort to ensure the highest quality programming, comments such as

these are taken very seriously. Maintaining the integrity of all of our

networks is our primary goal. It is these types of comments that

contribute to creating change and improving our programming.

We understand there has been a lot of recent attention on the family and

many of our viewers have comments about the show. We thank you for giving

us your opinion. Each and every comment is forwarded on to our programming

executives for review and consideration.

Again, thank you for contacting TLC.

Sincerely,

Viewer Relations

TLC

A reply to this message will not be answered. If you have additional

questions or comments, please go to our webform at

http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations. "

-------------------------------------------------

I strongly encourage you all to email TLC and express your concerns for the children's welfare versus ratings. It is the right thing to do. Write a complaint to the advertisers of J&K plus 8 and tell them the same thing. It is ridiculous to allow this type of exploitation of young children to continue.

Edited by tex-mex

You are correct that BETH CARSON is the "ghost writer" for Kate's book. She and Kate were very close since the tups were born. I liked Beth and her family -- they seemed to be very caring and serving to the Gosselins. I have no idea why they also are "cut off" from them? So sad.

I am not saying this to be gossipy, but it is alleged that most, if not all, of the people who were close to the Gosselins in the first few seasons of the show were cut out because Kate didn't want anyone to get paid for their appearance on the show except her [family].

I don't know what to think about how things seem to be turning out for this family. The show really turned me off after it became so commercialized, but then, I've never walked in their shoes and I don't know what kind of contract they signed with TLC. Perhaps the promotions are a part of that contract. Having said that, however, I can't help noticing that Kate constantly contradicts herself in interviews. She says things about how there's no turning back to their normal life and how the whole reality show was done only for the benefit of the kids. Then she says that she can't believe how much she loves to be on TV and she wants to continue with it. She also answers a lot of questions as "I" instead of on behalf of the family. Case in point: an interview I read today in which she talked about how scary things had gotten at their old house with people coming up to take pictures or just watch the kids play ... then she said something about the new house, and "I'm back away from the road here" and "I feel safe." What about the kids?

I was sadden by the news, but not suprized. Kate rarely spoke kindly to Jon. I am only suprized that CPS has not knocked on their door.:001_huh:

I never watched the show. Never heard of them until I read online some comparison to octuplet mom. Before that I had no idea who they were. I thought it was odd they had a show about this couple and how they live. People have fertility treatments, have multiple births and it makes headlines. It sends the message get fertility treatments, have multiples and get handouts. Makes me cringe.

Sorry... still venting... please also know that Kate has ANOTHER book due out this Nov 2009. Looks like a cookbook from a family persective:

http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en-US/Product/ProductDetail.htm?ProdID=com.zondervan.9780310323778&QueryStringSite=Zondervan

I wrote to Zondervan and expressed (politely) my feelings at their promotion of an author who is now in the media spotlight and giving us all mixed messages of a Christian witness. (i.e. temper, barking at Jon, sarcastic remarks, and TLC "editing" out the faith?, and now the gossip... eeep.) I asked for them to stop the book tours for Kate and allow her to be at home to get counseling for her family. No more book promotions!!

Zondervan's Contact:

http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en-US/Company/ContactUs.htm?QueryStringSite=Zondervan

Sorry... still venting... please also know that Kate has ANOTHER book due out this Nov 2009. Looks like a cookbook from a family persective:

http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en-US/Product/ProductDetail.htm?ProdID=com.zondervan.9780310323778&QueryStringSite=Zondervan

I wrote to Zondervan and expressed (politely) my feelings at their promotion of an author who is now in the media spotlight and giving us all mixed messages of a Christian witness. (i.e. temper, barking at Jon, sarcastic remarks, and TLC "editing" out the faith?, and now the gossip... eeep.) I asked for them to stop the book tours for Kate and allow her to be at home to get counseling for her family. No more book promotions!!

Zondervan's Contact:

http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en-US/Company/ContactUs.htm?QueryStringSite=Zondervan

I know they have appeared on shows like The 700 Club, Family Radio and other Christian tv shows. This is all probably in their book contract, but it does seem hypocritical for them to encourage yet another book. However, it's possible that it's all under contract already and there's nothing Zondervan can do to cancel it.

I know they have appeared on shows like The 700 Club, Family Radio and other Christian tv shows. This is all probably in their book contract, but it does seem hypocritical for them to encourage yet another book. However, it's possible that it's all under contract already and there's nothing Zondervan can do to cancel it.

I don't know what to say about other appearances... except to write and complain politely. I am hoping if Kate is a member of a church, she will be open to getting counseling. The biblical thing to do is arrange a group of Pastors or noted Christian leaders to surround this family with loving support and counsel for healing their marriage. They need to be willing to work it out and air out the pain in a (non-televised) atmosphere. No one is right and no one is wrong.

I have no idea where Jon is at spiritually. But it appears that on TV (pilot episode) he has always been "unhappy" and forced to grow up. He strikes me as a young kid who just wants to have a good time... and suddenly, he is a father of 8 with a very critical wife. I can't blame him for his unhappiness -- but the so called cheating is a dealbreaker no matter how miserable you are.

But the marriage needs help in order to survive. Both parents need to change and be willing to correct past mistakes to grow and heal. (But no DR. PHIL... that is still exploitation.) And like a Pastor who has fallen... they cannot appear on TV or write a book or expose their "knowledge" to the public until the leadership accountability has decided (i.e. months or years) that there has been good growth and healing to step out in public.

Edited by tex-mex

She was on the cover of Today's Christian Woman mag a couple of months ago.....I was kind of iffy about it then, but didn't realize she had gotten so much worse, since the shows I've seen are a few seasons old......I think it's not such a good idea. There are actually decent christian people out there - why doesn't christian media focus on them :tongue_smilie:If we're going to have 'christian role models', why not have some actual ones who are emulating a high standard of faithfulness and holiness for the rest of us to glean and learn from. Although I guess we could be gleaning and learning what not to do from J&K. LOL. I have similar thoughts about Miss Calif, too :tongue_smilie: