Menu

Instant Pot folks - Should I get one?

frugalmamatx

I bought my Instant Pot in January.  I haven't used the crockpot even once since then.

I mostly use it for large chunks of meat that come up more tender in a couple of hours than they would have gotten all day in the crockpot. 

I know many people use it for beans but when I cook beans I usually cook about 7 lbs dry at one time and the instant pot simply doesn't hold that much so I just plan to do them on the stove.  If I failed to have some made ahead I would definitely try the instant pot but thus far I haven't been in that situation.

Hard boiled eggs that can be peeled without removing ANY of the white stuff.  Never had such nice eggs.  Doesn't matter if I bought them that day or they have sat in my fridge for 2 weeks.  Always peel beautifully.

Cheese cake.  I don't eat much cheesecake but I sell a lot of them.  Much easier to do in the instant pot than messing with a waterbath in the stove.

Yogurt.  I've made yogurt many other ways before but this requires the least amount of fiddling of any method I've tried.  We weren't big yogurt eaters either until I've started making it because my homemade version is far less tart than the store stuff (and that's a good thing because we don't like tart).

My only complaint is that with a big family I like to cook big quantities and even the 8 quart isn't big enough for some things I would otherwise try.

• Like 1

An instant pot doesn't replace a Crock-Pot, though some models can be used as one.

I regularly use mine for rice, hard-boiled eggs, stews and soups, chicken stock, making shredded pork and chicken. I'd suggest looking up some recipe sites and seeing if the recipes appeal to you. I like Dad Cooks Dinner and one other that I can't remember right now but will post if I think of it. But some of my "regular" sites such as Simply Recipes are putting up instant pot recipes too.

ETA: Pressure Cooking Today seems to have reliable recipes.    Also, Melissa Clark is (in my experience) a reliable recipe developer and she has been doing some recipes for instant pot.  She has a book out which I just got from the library, but you can probably find some recipes online.   I pretty much keep to recipe sites/bloggers that have proven to be reliable because I've come across some bad recipes from people who have jumped on the IP bandwagon.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

Yes!

It is also great for cooking staples: rice, beans, chunked potatoes, carrots (4 mins!).

Get the DUO 7-in-1 (not the LUX which has less pressure, temp, and program options.) in a 6qt or 8qt. 

In general, the Bluetooth version isn't worth spending more for unless you're a real technical/geeky cook.  The Ultra has some additional capability (you can set an exact temperature), if you'd like to try sous vide, for example.

I like to make huge pots of soup and stews, so after I had a 6qt for a year, I also got an 8qt.  (The six qt has a functional max capacity of about 5 qt of food, if you are comparing the size pots you use for cooking.)

ETA:  I also proof bread using the yogurt feature.  Obviously, you can do a larger batch of dough in the 8qt.

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 2

I bought mine about a year ago (Black Friday weekend last year) and didn't use it for a few months at first. I was worried about pressure cooker failure. However, once I tried it I began using it often. We only have three people (all adults) here so the 6 qt. is a good size for me.

I am 60+ years old and have never made better hard boiled eggs than I do with my IP.

Ditto above for rice.

I've made soups, stews, and chilis.

Haven't tried dried beans yet but I usually make large batches to freeze so I'm not sure I'll use it for them.

I gave away both of my crock pots but ended up buying another one. The IP doesn't replace the crock pot and it doesn't slow cook some things as well as a slow cooker. Still, I've only used my new crock pot a handful of times. 

I made delicious cheese cake, something that was always hit or miss for me before.

Roasts, corned beef and cabbage, whole chicken, broth, pulled pork or beef - these are all things I now make in my IP that used to be made on the stove, in the oven, or in the crock pot. 

I was skeptical because of all the hype. I usually stay away from hyped anything - from small appliances to personal electronics to the latest best seller. However, when several local friends I regularly exchange recipes with started raving about theirs, I was sold. It's definitely more than just hype. 

Some things will always be better cooked traditionally (my meatballs and Sunday sauce for example) but the IP has made those "I don't feel like cooking" nights much easier. And I'm much less likely to order out because of it.

ETA: I wouldn't bother with any cookbooks. Most have only a few good recipes and there are so many websites with good IP recipes that it isn't worth buying a book. Just look on Pinterest for IP recipes and you'll be overwhelmed. Or come back and ask us after you buy yours. Or join the social group (it's public). It's fairly quiet but people do answer questions when someone asks for help.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/groups/277-instant-pot-wtmers/

ETA #2: If you're on facebook there's a large group on there. You don't have to own an IP to join. Some people ask questions before they buy. Lots of recipes and helpful posts. Like any large group there are a few bad apples, but the mods seem to handle such things quickly.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/?fref=nf

Edited by Lady Florida.

We love ours and are thinking of getting the 8 qt. size. I've just started using it for non-recipe things, for example yesterday I completely forgot to cook my spaghetti squash. I threw it in the instant pot and set it for 6 minutes and while I finished preparing the rest of dinner and cooked the pasta for everyone else my squash cooked. It was awesome! Some recipes that take quite a while in the crockpot have come out better in the IP, others are better staying in the crockpot. Check out Nom Nom Paleo for recipes.

I just faced the same dilemma, but I HAD all of the individual appliances. It was just my pressure cooker that needed to be replaced. Since I’m very comfortable with stovetop pressure cooking, I just bought a new one. The IP seems great if you don’t already own multiple appliances or you’re skittish about learning to pressure cook. Most of the excitement appears to center around people discovering pressure cooking. It took SEVERAL IP threads before it dawned on me that most people weren’t pressure cooking all the time before they bought one of these. It really is a great cooking method.

I don't use it to cook meat much at all. We have other ways we like better. But I do use it for beans very regularly. I also use it for the first step of yogurt making. I have yogurt makers I use for the rest that we like better. I make a gallon of yogurt a week, so it isn't a small thing. I also use it to make stock from left over bones, mostly chicken. It is so easy and hands off that I now have a constant supply of stock in my freezer to use in whatever I want, mostly beans and soups. Also, Google "egg loaf instant pot". For potato salad or egg salad or anything where you need hard-boiled eggs chopped up, this is the best way hands down.

I've used it multiple times a week for over a year, definitely. Not a fad for me.

It is the hands-off aspect that is my favorite. I have a regular pressure cooker, but I love taking one minute to add the ingredients for steel-cut oatmeal and walking away for 20 minutes and then coming back and it's done. No stirring, monitoring, or even worrying about it if I get busy and need to get it after it's been done for a half hour.

Edited by Meagan S

I immediately got rid of a crock pot, rice maker, and yogurt maker when I got my instant pot. So while I use it for pressure cooking, I also use it to save counter space. I make rice in it about 2x each week, yogurt every other week, and meat 2x each week.

My son makes meat and then curried rice in it every week. First he cooks the meat while prepping the curry, then he takes the meat out and cooks the curried rice. I think he puts the meat in a container so it stays warm while the rice cooks. But even though we have one machine doing double duty and it can be slightly more complicated, for us, it is worth it for the saved space.

Emily

• Like 1

I've heard about fussiness with the silicone ring and some other part, lid maybe, that makes me think it would be to much.

Those other pieces are not hard to wash at all. The silicone ring can retain a smell so it you make desserts or yogurt I would recommend getting a second ring to just be used for those so they don't pick up any flavor from other dishes. This only happened to me once.

I haven't touched my Crock-Pot since getting the instant pot. I use mine multiple times a week.

• Like 3

I got mine 2 yrs ago Christmas. I still use it several times a week. It makes food that tastes a million times better than the crock pot in a fraction of the times. I got rid of my crock pot. 

It is a cinch to clean, the seal can retain orders but I've never had an issue with it. I don't make desserts in mine though, if I did I might just buy an extra one so I didn't have to worry about it.

• Like 2

I haven't used mine anywhere near as much as I expected to.

I've mostly done hard boiled eggs (perfection!), shredded chicken that we keep on hand for whatever, and potatoes for mash.

I was hoping to be able to all of the "tips for cooking from frozen" that people keep talking about, but the first one I tried was a giant failure and I've been afraid to experiment further.  The instructions for yogurt don't seem all that much simpler than doing it without the IP.

I bought mine because we're gone too long twice a week to use the crock pot.  Since getting the IP, I've still used the crock pot a few times on the days we have been home.

Wgile we wash the pot and lid after each use the silicone can retain scents. About once I month I put vinegar and water in the pot and let it run to pressure and naturally release. That cleans the ring pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is such a good idea!!! I think if I do a quick release it might clean the sealing valve too. How much vinegar and water do you use?

Edited by aaplank
  • Like 1

How does this compare to Instant Pot?

Crock-Pot 6-Quart 8-in-1 Express Crock Programmable Slow Cooker, Pressure Cooker, Sauté, and Steamer, Stainless Steel, SCCPPC600-V1

on sale now at Walmart for $50

=======

found this 

"The author of this review has missed one of the major advantages of the Instant Pot - a stainless steel cooking vessel. For those who are trying to eliminate polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) and its derivatives from their cookware, I'd recommend an Instant Pot, ideally with a low pressure option. We use it regularly and it cleans up much more easily than I expected. This Crock Multicooker has a non-stick (probably aluminium-based) cooking pot. Obviously, if you like non-stick, this one is the way to go.

"