Menu

s/o - Old technology we're glad to be rid of

IsabelC

As soon as I saw the thread on rotary phones, I remembered how annoying it was when I had to make a large number of phone calls and ended up having to change dialing fingers because my finger got sore.

And dial-up internet that took a-g-e-s to get on, then you couldn't use the phone while on the internet.

Anyone else?

You don't miss the days of making compilations from the radio?!

I still have, somewhere, a cassette on which I recorded my dh (then boyfriend) phoning in to dedicate a song to me! (Yes, I'm that old!) But we don't have any device to play it on.

There are services that will convert cassette to CD. I've never done that, but it might work out for  you.

Personal computers that took up as much space as an entire student desk (maybe more).

My first cell phone, which was bigger than a shoebox.

Antennas connected to the TV, that you had to jimmy around to get reception.  Also, antennas connected to the radio.

The fsssssss that was nighttime TV.

Having to go to Kinko's produce a presentation for class or work.

Having to go to the university computer lab to receive an email.

Typing my 22-page law license application manually in triplicate.

Overhead projectors.

Reel to reel movie projectors.

When I was little, my dad was a TV repair man.  I remember all these big old tube things he used to have to install.  (Darned if I can remember what they were called.  Not the picture tube, the cylindrical ones that went in the chassis.)  My dad had this big carry case for all the fixit stuff - the case was bigger than I was.

And my mom used to do budgeting in a spiral notebook at the kitchen table.  :)

TVs with tubes.  They are darn heavy and take up too much space.

I agree with the film cameras.  DH and I were talking about that the other day.  You had to buy the film . Then bring it to be developed.  And many times you'd get maybe a couple of good pictures out of several.  I love that now you can take a zillion pictures for virtually not cost and if you happen to love one can print the one picture and it's not super expensive. 

Yes and weekly deposits....and checks. 

Corded phones. The cord would always eventually get all dumb and knotted.  At that point you had to just buy a new one because there was no salvaging it when it got like that. 

Card catalogs at the library.

I'm sure I'll think of more. 

Adding machines

Physical library card catalogs

Having to go to a university library if I had a question about my tax return or other government form.

I :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  my adding machine!  There is just something so satisfying about the sound it makes, and the paper tape coming out with numbers on it, made by the ink ribbon (that needs to be replaced <_< ) .

However, I *much* prefer my laptop to my TRS-80 and original Mac!

And wired keyboards & mice - darn those cords, just another thing to get all tangled up in.

Having to go to the movies to see a movie.

Richard Simmons being the only in-home exercise option.  :P

Having to choose between "needs ironing daily" and "feels uncomfortable and looks ugly."

Full-serve only at the gas station.  And deciding between Lead and No-Lead.

Having to go to the movies to see a movie.

Richard Simmons being the only in-home exercise option.  :p

Having to choose between "needs ironing daily" and "feels uncomfortable and looks ugly."

Full-serve only at the gas station.  And deciding between Lead and No-Lead.

Wasn't Jane Fonda before Richard Simmons?

Typewriters and carbon paper to make extra copies.

I had two years of typing and two years of shorthand.

In first-year typing, which was, of course, on manual typewriters, the keys on the typewriters were blank. There was a big poster in the front of the classroom with the keyboard on it. We *had* to learn to type by touch.

In second-year typing, our Twentieth Century typing textbook came with a workbook, so that if we were supposed to type a letter on letterhead, plus an envelope, there was a corresponding letterhead with an "envelope" on the back. Ditto with purchase orders or any other sort of form we might need to know how to set up and type. All letters were done with *six* carbons, necessitating erasing seven pieces of paper (including putting slips of paper between each carbon so that when we erased the next, we didn't leave a mark on the one below it, if you see what I mean). I was in South Carolina for second year typing; the humidity was so high that it was difficult to erase on the paper we were using. o_0

I still have very fond sentimental memories of my great-aunt's rotary phone. (I grew up with one, they were the norm.)  all metal parts, weighed a ton, I had to use two fingers (or a pencil for leverage) in order to dial it when I was a child.  dated to at least the early 40's -  possibly earlier.  (the house was built in the 20's.)  and the sound . . . . .

whitehawk, on 25 Jan 2015 - 2:24 PM, said:whitehawk, on 25 Jan 2015 - 2:24 PM, said:

I don't miss cassette tapes.

how about 8-track?  :laugh:

OMG  I do NOT miss the 70's.  ugh.  that was one UUuuGGggLLllYYyy decade. blech.  the hair - blackmail material - leisure suits, disco.  :eek:  :ack2:  :ack2:  :ack2:

I DO miss VHS tapes. My dh and I pop movies in and out of the DVD player all the time. I hate how I have to remember exactly where I left off or try to find the scene every time my DVD is popped out mid-movie.

With a VHS tape, if my movie is taken out of the player I can pop it back in and pick up right where I left off.

I don't miss having to save computer programs on cassette tapes.

LOL I have argued with people that this actually existed.  They don't believe me when I say we had cassettes for our computer classes.  They always try to correct me.  I vividly remember those and writing endless If-then statements to make little DOS words move across the screen. 

While I had 8 track tapes and TVs with knobs that had to be turned and tuned to individual stations.....what I am glad they improved on where the DIskman that I used to play CDs in my car and remote controls that had wires to attach them to the device. 

We have a VHS player to watch Star Wars because the DVD editions weren't acceptable to my husband.

I also still have mix tapes. I also have a record collection and turntable and stereo system tho I have put them in storage while we are in this smallish apartment. We used a rotary phone as long as we kept a home number.

I've never had a popcorn maker and we don't have a microwave. Pan on the stove is how we make it still.

I don't miss those 900 MHz cordless phones that hissed interference.

I would say in my house the desktop computer is on its way to near irrelevance.

I definitely don't miss tape backups for the work computer network.

I DO miss VHS tapes. My dh and I pop movies in and out of the DVD player all the time. I hate how I have to remember exactly where I left off or try to find the scene every time my DVD is popped out mid-movie.

With a VHS tape, if my movie is taken out of the player I can pop it back in and pick up right where I left off.

Our old dvd player did this. It remembered where you last watched even if you watched something else in between. Sadly it died after nearly 10 years. Our *new* dvd player isn't as smart. :glare:

I hate CDs more than cassette tapes. Cassette tapes wore out slowly. CDs could just get scratched and poof, it's gone. I could fix a cassette. I hated CDs from beginning to end!

The choice between PBS, ABC, NBC and CBS and only if you stood in that certain position with the rabbit ears. 

We still have this and with the savings on cable two of our children have music lessons. Totally worth the inconvenience.

I don't miss Zip drives!

Or 3.5 floppies or 5.25 and 8 inch floppies.

Though apparently floppies are still in use in the White House and government agencies. Crazy. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/us/politics/her-task-weaning-the-white-house-off-floppy-disks.html?referrer=

My first computer was a Commodore Vic 20. Floppy disks all the way. :-) We were thrilled when we upgraded from a 9-pin printer to a ...I've even forgotten. 25 pins?

My first *real* computer was an original IBM 8088. It had a 20mb hard drive, which we thought was awesome; when we turned it on, we'd go fix a cup of tea and maybe take a shower because it took so long for the little minions inside to get everything going. :laugh:

Typewriters and carbon paper to make extra copies.

One of my kids asked for carbon paper for her birthday a year or two ago :D I was surprised she even knew what it was! I think my MIL gave her some to play with at her house.

I remember making copies with the mimeograph machine in jr high. I don't miss those!