Menu

Has anyone experienced Sleep Paralysis?

1GirlTwinBoys

I have. It's horrible! It happened a couple of times as a teenager and a few as an adult. Now I can tell it's happening and I can tell myself to calm down and just breathe. The first few times my brain was screaming HELP but nothing was coming out of my mouth. It seems to be worse if I sleep on my back so I try not to do that.

I've experienced it several times.  It seems like it'll happen a couple of times within a week or so, and then won't happen again for years.  It's temporarily unsettling, but I've never tried to do anything about it.  Although I probably would if it happened more frequently.

Yes. It's technically a sleep disorder because you are opening your eyes during REM sleep. You are paralyzed during REM so you don't thrash and injure yourself while dreaming.

The worst is the feeling of vulnerability and imagining sounds. I've learned if I'll close my eyes, I'll go back to sleep and be fine.

Curious if you have or know anyone that has? I've experienced a couple episodes of it this week and it's a terrible feeling. I've read all about it but just wondered if anyone has experienced it and what you do for it?

I have and my brother has. It has been a long long time since it last happened. I hate it.

Yes. It's technically a sleep disorder because you are opening your eyes during REM sleep. You are paralyzed during REM so you don't thrash and injure yourself while dreaming.

The worst is the feeling of vulnerability and imagining sounds. I've learned if I'll close my eyes, I'll go back to sleep and be fine.

How do you close your eyes though?

Several times as a teen, but not in recent history. Terrifying is the right word. It didn't help that the first time it happened, I had fallen asleep listening to a local radio show and they had some psychic or something talking about all sorts of paranormal stuff. So I woke up and was pretty convinced that I was being smothered by a demon.

I've experienced it several times.  It seems like it'll happen a couple of times within a week or so, and then won't happen again for years.  It's temporarily unsettling, but I've never tried to do anything about it.  Although I probably would if it happened more frequently.

This.

And this.

After the fifth episode inside of a week, I decided that if it happened again, I would remind myself it was a dream, to relax, shut out the sounds and try very hard to just breathe through it and go back to sleep. It worked on the second try.  I haven't had it happen in over 15 years now.  

How do you close your eyes though?

my eye lids weren't paralyzed.   even during normal REM sleep - you'll see people moving their eyes underneath the lids.

I also realized if I heard a *real* noise, I'd wake up.  If I was able to force myself to move (very difficult, but I did it a few times) it would immediately break the paralysis and I could roll over and go back to sleep.

Curious if you have or know anyone that has? I've experienced a couple episodes of it this week and it's a terrible feeling. I've read all about it but just wondered if anyone has experienced it and what you do for it?

Yes. I am a lucid dreamer. If I don't like my dream, then I will wake myself up. But, sleep paralysis is usually the result of waking myself out of a freaky dream. It takes a few minutes before I can move or I can just go back to sleep.

ETA: I watched a documentary on this a long time ago. It never has freaked me out or scared me.

I have had this happen to me sporadically since I was a teen.  It terrifies me, and I feel like if I let myself go back to sleep I will quit breathing.  

If someone touches me then I will wake up, but if I go right back to sleep it will often happen again.  I usually have to get up and walk around and get a drink of water.  

I can make a gutteral sound when I am having an episode, and my husband has learned to wake me up if he hears that sound.  In my mind I am screaming with all my might.  

Even my kids know to wake me if I am napping and make that sound.

I did some internet "research" on my condition, and I read that if you can make yourself make a sneezing motion or if you can scrunch your face that it helps you wake yourself up,  I tried it the last time it happened, but I can't remember if it worked or if I just woke up.  There have been times that I have been able to wake myself out of it by using all my strength to move my hand or fingers to try to create a sensation of someone touching me.  

Sometimes I can hear and see what is going on in the room, and other times I just think I hear/see and when I really wake up I can tell it wasn't real.  

Super scary.  I never sleep on my back.

Yes. I am a lucid dreamer. If I don't like my dream, then I will wake myself up. But, sleep paralysis is usually the result of waking myself out of a freaky dream. It takes a few minutes before I can move or I can just go back to sleep.

Interesting. I am a lucid dreamer too but I can't wake myself up during paralysis.

It hasn't happened to me in years though.

I remember when I was younger having something like that happen quite often. I would think I was awake, but couldn't move or make any sound, as hard as I tried. Then, I'd think I was asleep and needed to make some sort of sound to wake myself or someone else up, and couldn't do it. Terrifying! I actually have always thought it had something to do with my epilepsy I had back then, and was some kind of seizures. Never have read about it anywhere. Interesting to hear that it is something "common."

I do the guttural sound as well and the family knows to wake me. In my mind, I'm trying to scream and can't. It is terrifying to want to scream and yell out but nothing comes out. It happens to me most often during really stressful times when I'm not sleeping well in general. It usually happens several days in a row and then just stops for months/even years. I didn't realize there was a name for it.

I have had this happen to me sporadically since I was a teen. It terrifies me, and I feel like if I let myself go back to sleep I will quit breathing.

If someone touches me then I will wake up, but if I go right back to sleep it will often happen again. I usually have to get up and walk around and get a drink of water.

I can make a gutteral sound when I am having an episode, and my husband has learned to wake me up if he hears that sound. In my mind I am screaming with all my might.

Even my kids know to wake me if I am napping and make that sound.

I did some internet "research" on my condition, and I read that if you can make yourself make a sneezing motion or if you can scrunch your face that it helps you wake yourself up, I tried it the last time it happened, but I can't remember if it worked or if I just woke up. There have been times that I have been able to wake myself out of it by using all my strength to move my hand or fingers to try to create a sensation of someone touching me.

Sometimes I can hear and see what is going on in the room, and other times I just think I hear/see and when I really wake up I can tell it wasn't real.

Super scary. I never sleep on my back.

This is so weird, I did not know so many of us experienced this. I used to do it all the time, especially under stressful times. My Dad did too and he called it "dreaming he was awake". I guess it is really the opposite of that--it can be hard to tell if you woke up in rem or if you are dreaming it. I know that I would suddenly be aware of the room (and that "it" was happening again) and this horrible heavy fear would envelop me. I always felt like someone was in the room. I would try with all my strength to move my fingers or anything I could to touch my husband so he would wake me. Usually, I would eventually wake up but often was in a totally different position than I sensed while struggling to wake up. (he never woke up to help me wake up, I would just make myself wake up)

I read about this too on the internet. The article I read (although it was years ago) said what it was and said, for most people, once we are aware of what it is, it stops happening and I have never (thankfully) had it happen again.

I experienced it frequently in my teens and early 20s. It's happened only very rarely since having kids, though. 

I participated in a study on sleep paralysis, and that helped with reframing it into something less upsetting. http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/ is the one I participated in, but this was over a decade ago, so I don't know if it is still active (though there's nothing to indicate that it isn't).  

It used to happen to me routinely in college.  But the strange thing is, I knew in my sleep what was going on and could (in my sleep) talk myself down from panic.  It went away after a few years and has never returned.  I don't seem to be any the worse for wear from it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was my first experience with this. I was sleeping on my side and screaming for my husband to wake up and help me. I could hear a low moaning sound that I think was coming from me trying to scream. It was terrifying. Thank God my toddler came and woke me otherwise it seemed like it could have gone on and on. I never want to go through that again! What causes it? It definitely felt like spiritual warfare was taking place. So awful.

It's so weird to see so many people suffering from this. I have had them since I was a kid. I still have them. Last night in fact. I hate them. I thought I was alone in this for a long time. People just think your crazy when you try to explain it. My parents did.

They say there is a strong correlation between sleep paralysis and social anxiety or some traumatic life event. I suffer from both. caffeine in the afternoon and evening and a poor sleep schedule will increase the episodes as well. I really must put away those chocolate chips.

Spiritual warfare. Not everyone likes to go down that trail. However, historically that is how sleep paralysis has always been seen. I think Job 4 is very similar to sleep paralysis. I personally get a trembling feeling that is hard to describe because at the same time I do also feel paralyzed.

13 In thoughts from the visions of the night, when deep sleep falleth on men, 14 Fear came upon me, and trembling, which made all my bones to shake . 15 Then a spirit passed before my face; the hair of my flesh stood up :

Job 4:13-15

Sleep paralysis is tough, and sometimes I find myself affected by it for a few days. Sometimes, I am shaken but fine the next day. My DH lets me leave on the bathroom light for few days afterward. I have no shame in it. :)

Hugs to us all. This is just the sufferings of this world. They don't define you or mean anything important.

I had them constantly when I was working 4am to 1pm. I would come home and sleep for a few hours, be awake for a few hours, and then try to sleep a few hours before work. I was always tired, and the episodes would happen nearly every day as I was falling asleep. I had a sleep study done, and the Dr told me I was basically going into a sleep mode while my brain was still awake, so my body would not be able to move but I would be fully conscious. His explanation was much more scientific sounding, lol, but it's been a long time and I don't quite remember. Before it would happen I would hear a rushing/buzzing sound in my ears and a strange feeling in my head/face area. I thought it was some kind of seizure. I remember the Dr. saying it was related to narcolepsy. Now I am very careful with my sleep and avoid splitting my sleep into 2 sessions. I rarely take naps and basically do whatever I can to avoid having them again! Absolutely terrifying! I am constantly battling insomnia, but as long as I don't nap and start moving into a split sleep cycle I seem to be ok. 

I had one episode of lucid dreaming that was really scary. We had the TV on, and a documentary was on about the Huns. I remember looking towards the bedroom door and a warrior was there raising a sword about to strike us. I was shaking dh awake, screaming about the sword and the warrior trying to kill us, lol. It was so real it was crazy! Since then I don't like the TV on when I'm sleeping!

Yeah, caffeine does me so wrong!  I was only drinking 2 cups of coffee first thing in the morning and still having bad sleep issues.  I'd also wake up with a tight feeling in my chest feeling short of breath.  I've been off of it for almost 2 weeks now and doing so much better!!!

ETA:  My sensitivity is so bad that I can't even have decaf coffee or tea with caffeine.  I've actually cut out chocolate as well for now.  I'm able to drink an herbal coffee that is caffeine free (teeccino).