Menu

Secular/CC posts

I did not intend to exclude anyone in the thread I started earlier, by including the word secular in the title. :grouphug: Texas T was right about my intention.

I didn't/don't see posts titled CC as 'marking territory' either. I always thought it was just a disclaimer that there would be Christian content, so that those who weren't interested wouldn't have to read the whole post to find out. Or something like that. I figure since this is a public message board, and we are publicly stating things, that we are all aware that people with opposing views may read what we write and may chime in with their perspective. Am I wrong?

:bigear:

Edited by secular_mom
typo

I did not intend to exclude anyone in the thread I started earlier, by including the word secular in the title. :grouphug: Texas T was right about my intention.

I didn't/don't see posts titled CC as 'marking territory' either. I always thought it was just a disclaimer that there would be Christian content, so that those who weren't interested wouldn't have to read the whole post to find out. Or something like that. I figure since this is a public message board, and we are publicly stating things, that we are all aware that people with opposing views my read what we write and may chime in with their perspective. Am I wrong?

You're not wrong.

Some believe Christians should mark their posts with CC if the content is to include anything to do with Christianity so they don't "waste their time" reading content they obviously will disagree with.

I refuse to do such. I think it's divisive and unnecessary, given no other religious group/philosophical pov is asked to do the same. I think reading povs from people who think differently is the risk you take posting on a message board that includes people of all beliefs. You (in general, not you specifically) can either deal with differing world views, or you can't.

That makes total sense. I guess I got a little confused after all the talk about 'unbelievers' being used in context in a group of like-minded posters, when it was said on a public message board, LOL. And then when my thread was closed. It made me wonder.

I don't think it's necessary to mark them either, really. If I start to read a post that doesn't interest me, I just stop reading- that could be a post with ANY subject line. :)

I don't think everyone puts CC on their thread. I started a thread and CC was automatically tagged to my post. It seems that the post with a poll also has CC attached to it. This is making me think that CC could have other meanings.

:grouphug:

This is making me think that CC could have other meanings.

:grouphug:

:confused: what other meanings? I feel clueless, which probably means that I am. :lol:

ETA: The red font appears ominous to me, and I'm feeling VERY silly. I have all sorts of ridiculous thoughts floating around in my head now. :)

You really thought that? I like the CC tag because I don't always want to discuss Christianity so I can skip the posts.

Yes, I really thought that. I remember a thread about the CC tag. I may not be remembering correctly but I've been acting on the premise that those who use the CC tag are doing so because they want people to know up front that their post is all about Christian stuff and they don't welcome other remarks.

I always interpreted it to mean that there was an issue that was being mentioned from a Christian perspective and debating the Christian foundation of it wasn't an option.

I like the CC tag because I don't always want to discuss Christianity so I can skip the posts.

This is how I interpreted it too. I like the CC label because I generally don't have a lot to add there, so it does save me time, and possibly misunderstandings.

I've never really understood the need to put CC but I do it because everyone else does. In my mind, if we need to put CC then putting "Secular" is appropriate...or "Jewish" or "Pagan" or...you get the idea. Why is it only CC that is necessary?

I don't think anyone thinks it's necessary, but it's helpful. I also wouldn't open threads by anyone looking for help or input on, say, 4H or high school HSing. If I were to start a thread where I only wanted input from a secular perspective (and I have, on the curriculum board) I would mark it for secular HSers.

Secular_mom, you're not wrong. I interpreted your post as you intended.

You (in general, not you specifically) can either deal with differing world views, or you can't.

And it's no one's fault but yours if you can't. I wish that everyone understood that. It's not a personal attack on you until we're on your doorstep egging your cat, lol.

I've interpreted the CC tag as not wanting remarks from non-C's. I rarely open them out of respect for the OP. I guess I was wrong in my thinking!

I do, but I'm a blabbermouth! No one has complained about my tendency to do this yet. Sometimes I'm even agreed with!

:)

Rosie

Now I thought people used the CC label to indicate the thread had "christian content" in it, so that people that would be offended by such content could avoid it and therefore avoid being offended......I never thought about the idea that it was being labeled to avoid getting responses that were not Christian.

Interesting!

And it's no one's fault but yours if you can't. I wish that everyone understood that. It's not a personal attack on you until we're on your doorstep egging your cat, lol.

:)

Rosie

:lol: So was that you, Rosie?! I thought for certain it was the amish kid down the road! ;)

Edited by mommaduck

Now I thought people used the CC label to indicate the thread had "christian content" in it, so that people that would be offended by such content could avoid it and therefore avoid being offended......I never thought about the idea that it was being labeled to avoid getting responses that were not Christian.

Interesting!

If that is so, then what do they use for other beliefs? hmm??

JC, MC, BC, Ath C Agnos C...etc.:D

Yes, I really thought that. I remember a thread about the CC tag. I may not be remembering correctly but I've been acting on the premise that those who use the CC tag are doing so because they want people to know up front that their post is all about Christian stuff and they don't welcome other remarks.

WOW! That has never occurred to me. I have always thought it was to let non-Christians know about the CC so that they could skip it, if they chose to. In fact, years ago I was on a board (probably an old AOL board) where non-Christians would almost demand CC in the title.

As a Christian, if I wanted to post something and did not want non-Christians remarking on it...I would take it to a Christian forum.

Edited by WagsWife
spelling

WOW! That has never occurred to me. I have always thought it was to let non-Christians know about the CC so that they could skip it, if they chose too. In fact, years ago I was on a board (probably an old AOL board) where non-Christians would almost demand CC in the title.

As a Christian, if I wanted to post something and did not want non-Christians remarking on it...I would take it to a Christian forum.

They demanded it here, too. I don't ask Christian questions here. There are so many better sites for it.

I've never really understood the need to put CC but I do it because everyone else does. In my mind, if we need to put CC then putting "Secular" is appropriate...or "Jewish" or "Pagan" or...you get the idea. Why is it only CC that is necessary?

Some people tire of religious posts. My mother considered it very impolite to discuss religion or politics in *social* settings. I'm afraid she might think there were very few "real ladies" here :) (I suspect few of you are posting in a nice dress with One Good Jewel, either, clutching a jet bead bag.)

I like the warning if the person only wants "Christian advice" or Christian prayers, etc. If I title a thread "Grammar stage books on the Big Bang", creationists get the hint that, unless they are looking for info to help friends, that they can just skip it. There is a lot posted here. Informative titles are good.

See, if some folks are offended by Christian content, or for another reason don't wish to read it, I can understand THEM tagging a thread as having CC to 'help' others of the same mindset to avoid such threads.

I'm glad to know that it is NOT an ownership issue, the very idea of a concept like that seems unfitting for a message board.

For me:

CC means Christians will be discussing whatever from a CHRISTIAN perspective and I should not go there and post why I believe Christianity is wrong nor should I espouse my beliefs. If I have something to say, politely, that pertains to their question - I will comment. (Without bringing my religion into it in order to tell them why their religion is wrong).

Secular means that I can discuss my non Christian beliefs without fear of criticism.

I do not go into CC threads and then get mad if they say something about their religion that I disagree with.

Edited by Karen sn

:lol: So was that you, Rosie?! I thought for certain it was the amish kid down the road! ;)

Your cat is on the other side of the world. I'd have to be REALLY convicted (and win the lottery) to come and launch an attack in person. I don't like cats, but I don't hate them enough to purchase a plane ticket and visa.

:lol:

Rosie

For me:

CC means Christians will be discussing whatever from a CHRISTIAN perspective and I should not go there and post why I believe Christianity is wrong nor should I espouse my beliefs. If I have something to say, politely, that pertains to their question - I will comment. (Without bringing my religion into it in order to tell them why their religion is wrong).

Secular means that I can discuss my non Christian beliefs without fear of criticism.

I do not go into CC threads and then get mad if they say something about their religion that I disagree with.

Gotcha. :)

They demanded it here, too. I don't ask Christian questions here. There are so many better sites for it.

I was here when we started using the CC convention and that is not how I remember it. As I recall, Christians voulntarily offered to start adding it to posts that specifically dealt with Christian content. However, even though I have been here since we started using it, I am still not sure what exactly the purpose of it is. Does this mean non-Christians not welcome, non-Christians might not be interested, non-Christians probably have nothing to add? For the most part I just ignore the tag and read the thread and take it from there just like I would with any other thread. If the thread itself seems to be directed at Christians or ask for a specifically Christian response, then I just move on.

For me:

That's how I understand it to be used, as well. CC to me means that someone is asking for prayer, wanting to rejoice with fellow-Christians at what they sincerely believe is something special that God has done for them, a question about a church issue, etc. In which case, just as you're saying -- you can chime in but it would be bad manners to take the opportunity to contradict their beliefs, etc.

I do think that somewhere along the line, there was an issue of Christian content causing offense or misunderstanding, and there was a request to label posts "CC" to avoid that misunderstanding. I've *never* had the impression that it was to keep people out of a thread or to indicate that only Christians were invited to read or participate (politely) in a thread.

It's more of a "heads up, I'm about to get all come-to-Jesus on ya; enter at your own risk". :tongue_smilie:

I was here when we started using the CC convention and that is not how I remember it. As I recall, Christians voulntarily offered to start adding it to posts that specifically dealt with Christian content. However, even though I have been here since we started using it, I am still not sure what exactly the purpose of it is. Does this mean non-Christians not welcome, non-Christians might not be interested, non-Christians probably have nothing to add? For the most part I just ignore the tag and read the thread and take it from there just like I would with any other thread. If the thread itself seems to be directed at Christians or ask for a specifically Christian response, then I just move on.

I remember a lot of complaining about Christian posts. A lot of complaining. So yes, people started added CC to Christian posts.

I don't find those titles excluding people in a negative way -- I think they help me decide whether I want to open a thread. If the subject mentioned, for example "moms of daughters" or "moms with large families," I may read for info to help friends of mine who have daughters or large families, but more often than not, these titles help me know to skip over certain conversations. Titles that read: "Those who teach Latin" let me know that I can skip the conversation because I don't teach Latin. When I consider doing so, I will read those threads or perhaps I'll read them to learn why I should teach Latin, but I wouldn't enter into the conversation with "Why would you waste time teaching Latin," nor would I ask why the post is excluding those of us who don't teach Latin.

It is a public board with all sorts of people, and there are times you really only want the input of a certain group of people. I don't see anything wrong with that. In my courtship conversation, I specifically wanted input from a certain group of people, and I noted that.

I also find it saves my time. There are so many conversations on this board, and I spend too much time here as it is. :) Titles help me know whether it's a conversation of interest to me. It not, great -- there are so many yet to participate in -- or I could always start my own.

I am thinking I must be far less sensitive than many on this board.

I didn't/don't see posts titled CC as 'marking territory' either. I always thought it was just a disclaimer that there would be Christian content, so that those who weren't interested wouldn't have to read the whole post to find out. Or something like that. I figure since this is a public message board, and we are publicly stating things, that we are all aware that people with opposing views may read what we write and may chime in with their perspective. Am I wrong?

Edited by nestof3

It is a public board with all sorts of people, and there are times you really only want the input of a certain group of people. I don't see anything wrong with that. In my courtship conversation, I specifically wanted input from a certain group of people, and I noted that.

I am thinking I must be far less sensitive than many on this board.

This makes complete sense to me. And honestly, I didn't even click on your courtship thread because I have nothing to contribute and the subject does not interest me. BUT, your title was very descriptive and specific. I think that more descriptive titles are much more helpful to those who are reading than a one word titles with (CC) attached.

This makes complete sense to me. And honestly, I didn't even click on your courtship thread because I have nothing to contribute and the subject does not interest me. BUT, your title was very descriptive and specific. I think that more descriptive titles are much more helpful to those who are reading than a one word titles with (CC) attached.

Related to this. I have a scrapbooking forum I frequent, and I find it so dissatisfying that I cannot hold my mouse over the title to see if the thread is of interest before I open it up. I am so spoiled here by really getting to know a thread's topic/focus before clicking on it. It's a time-saver for me. :)

For example, a thread might pertain only to those who do digital scrapbooking, but I don't know that until I take the time to open the thread, wait for the page and signatures and avatars to open up. I love this forum! :D

I figure when people write CC in the subject line, generally speaking they want advice or feedback from fellow Christians. Not that that always stops me saying something, but I am much less likely to be controversial or confrontative, especially where religion is involved. It just feels like the person has created a little safe space for themselves, and I respect it. Often though, I simply dont click on CC posts because even if I have an opinion, chances are it may not be in harmony with the OP's mindset, and they are not asking to be challenged in that way.

I however feel that as a secular person, I am in a minority here and I wouldnt expect secular responses to all my questions unless I was specific about that. Yay for SWB for being so inclusive in her books and allowing these boards to feel comforable for a wide range of people.

BUT, your title was very descriptive and specific. I think that more descriptive titles are much more helpful to those who are reading than a one word titles with (CC) attached.
:iagree: To be entirely honest, I'm a Christian but I avoid threads with (CC) because I assume they will be significantly more conservative than myself therefore my feedback would not be welcome.

If memory serves me, many moons ago on the old board there were many complaints about people having to open up posts only to find a "Christian" discussion. Either SWB or another moderator asked that CC be added to posts to identify these discussions. I don't think that it was ever meant to excluded anyone. What it has morphed into here is another thing altogether.

If memory serves me, many moons ago on the old board there were many complaints about people having to open up posts only to find a "Christian" discussion. Either SWB or another moderator asked that CC be added to posts to identify these discussions. I don't think that it was ever meant to excluded anyone. What it has morphed into here is another thing altogether.

This is absolutely correct. It started a long, long time ago on the old board. Back when many people had dial-up and the board took a while to load.

I remember a lot of complaining about Christian posts. A lot of complaining. So yes, people started added CC to Christian posts.

Okay, maybe it's just me, but my impression was that the CC thing started as a way to make boundaries clear. It was a way of letting everyone know that Christianity was presumed in the post and that responses from that point of view were most welcome.

And, since this is supposed to be a place to discuss homeschooling, it was there to save those who were interested in only those posts (and not ones that were primarily about religion) time.

I don't remember it being "demanded," just requested and appreciated.

But then, I do tend to assume people's good motivations.

And, since this is supposed to be a place to discuss homeschooling, it was there to save those who were interested in only those posts (and not ones that were primarily about religion) time.

Well, I do think the general forum is for much more than just homeschooling. I mean, think of talks about TEA, movies, recipes, exercise, gardening, totes, skirts, hair coloring, etc.

Or, perhaps you refer to the old board where all posts we on one page.

I try to keep most of my homeschool only posts on the curriculum board.

Well, I do think the general forum is for much more than just homeschooling. I mean, think of talks about TEA, movies, recipes, exercise, gardening, totes, skirts, hair coloring, etc.

Or, perhaps you refer to the old board where all posts we on one page.

I try to keep most of my homeschool only posts on the curriculum board.

Oh, no, I understand about the General Board. That's why I used the word "primarily."

I think the CC designation is helpful, though, in avoiding some conflict and misunderstandings.

This is how I recall the incident as well. (And I agree with everything else you said.)

This is what I remember as well. In my other post I thought that it was a different board...but now I am thinking it had to be this one. I can remember some people would be really upset, if they opened a post that had CC...because it was a waste of their time.